sozobe

Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:38 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Actually Andrew Sullivan found someone who said that he did see Sarah Palin at the hospital, sleeping in a recovery room.
Joe Nation

Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:39 am
Just part of the Real American Family Values we have not been hearing so much about this election.

Joe(Just how dysfunctional can a person be and still be picked for VP?)Nation
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:42 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Actually Andrew Sullivan found someone who said that he did see Sarah Palin at the hospital, sleeping in a recovery room.

Oh, really? I know Sully is bearish on her story, so if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:50 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Loved seeing Michael Moore verbally whacking Andrew Sullivan upside the head on Larry King last night. Not just my favourite writers dissing him anymore, it's spreading. Yippee!
Cycloptichorn

Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:52 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Loved seeing Michael Moore verbally whacking Andrew Sullivan upside the head on Larry King last night. Not just my favourite writers dissing him anymore, it's spreading. Yippee!

I like Sullivan! He's not what I would call a serious commentator. But he is quite interesting and funny.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:56 am
@Cycloptichorn,
He's too much of a drama queen for my taste.

sozobe

Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:18 am
@ehBeth,
He's a drama queen for sure. But he acknowledges as much, and I appreciate his blog as a one-stop source for news from allovertheplace.

I mean, if I didn't read the Daily Dish I may have never come across "Yes We Can (Hold Babies)" !

http://yeswecanholdbabies.wordpress.com/
ehBeth

Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:25 am
@sozobe,
I use nymag's Daily Intel for my all-in-one-blog-shopping.

Or links to things like ...
Updos for Obama
ehBeth

Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:26 am
@ehBeth,
http://www.brooklynpaper.com/assets/photos/31/42/31_42_updosforobama03_z.jpg
blueflame1

Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:44 am
Palin: 'I Don't Know' If Abortion Clinic Bombers Are Terrorists
by Jed L
Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 09:45:02 AM PDT
The buffoonish nature of Sarah Palin's vice presidential candidacy has mostly been a disaster for the McCain-Palin campaign, but it is has delivered at least one benefit: her foibles have helped obscure the true nature of her right-wing extremism.

But now, Sarah Palin's self-destructive behavior is threatening to expose even that. In an interview broadcast yesterday on NBC Nightly News, Brian Williams asked Palin whether she felt abortion clinic bombers were terrorists.

Amazingly, she said that she didn't know. MSNBC reports (emphasis added):

Palin resisted the suggestion that if Ayers was a "domestic terrorist" " a standard line in her campaign addresses " then so were conservative religious activists who bombed abortion clinics.

"I don’t know if you’re going to use the word ‘terrorist’ there," she said.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/10/24/2295/2310/113/640591
0 Replies

blueflame1

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:58 am
Memo To Palin: Fruit Fly Research Has Led To Advances In Understanding Autism»
This morning, Gov. Sarah Palin (R-AK) gave her first policy speech urging the federal government to fully fund the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), “a law ensuring services to children with disabilities throughout the nation.” In the speech, Palin cited the need to do more for children with disabilities such as autism:

For many parents of children with disabilities, the most valuable thing of all is information. Early identification of a cognitive or other disorder, especially autism, can make a life-changing difference.

Palin claimed that the amount that Congress spends on earmarks “is more than the shortfall to fully fund IDEA.” She then ridiculed some of the projects " such as “fruit fly research” " saying they have little or no value:

Where does a lot of that earmark money end up anyway? […] You’ve heard about some of these pet projects they really don’t make a whole lot of sense and sometimes these dollars go to projects that have little or nothing to do with the public good. Things like fruit fly research in Paris, France. I kid you not.

Watch it:
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/24/palin-fruit-flies/

Palin did not specify what fruit fly research earmark she was referring to (presumably a grant for olive fruit fly research), but she is apparently unaware that scientific research with fruit flies has led to valuable discoveries that have boosted autism research, as a study at the University of North Carolina demonstrated last year:

[S]cientists at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine have shown that a protein called neurexin is required for..nerve cell connections to form and function correctly.

The discovery, made in Drosophila fruit flies may lead to advances in understanding autism spectrum disorders, as recently, human neurexins have been identified as a genetic risk factor for autism.

The study of fruit flies has also been used for other autism research and “revolutionize[d]” the study of birth defects.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:11 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

McCain's VP

Sarah Palin is more qualified to be president of this country than Obama, but so are McCain and Biden for that matter.

Don't fear the change that Palin will bring to Washington, DC. ~ embrace the change.
0 Replies

squinney

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:27 am
The whole "small business owner" executive experience is rather thin it now appears:

http://www.inc.com/articles/2008/10/palin.html
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:44 am
@ehBeth,
brilliant photo, bethie
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 04:52 pm
@blatham,
Yes brilliant, if you hold smug, condescending mockery as an element of the light.

This why so many conservatives are angered by what they see as real and wannabe members of the Liberal Elite.

I realize that such a reaction is exactly what you folks are looking for and are so proud of, but in a quiet moment you might ask yourselves why you take such pleasure through scorn and mockery.

For a class that can't make up its collective mind on whether intolerance or hypocrisy are the greatest of sins, the irony is breath-taking.
blatham

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 05:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
why you take such pleasure through scorn and mockery.

Reread Swift and Twain and get back to us, finn.
Joe Nation

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 06:05 pm
mygoshy, finn, O'Reilly and Limbaugh, Hannity and a host of other wingnuts have made art of sneering ridicule heaped upon self-righteous ridicule of everything they deem to be slightly Liberal. An art? Yes, and a profitable business as well because ditto-heads like you like to hold your sides and chortle at the fun.

Relax.

Joe(we's having fun now.)Nation
snood

Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:17 pm
@Joe Nation,
Yeah, remember? Ann Coulter's a humorist.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 01:08 am
@blatham,
Neither Twain nor Swift were so personal in their scorn and mockery.

But once again you score points with your syncophants. I'm sure it thrills you to no end.
Joe Nation

Sun 26 Oct, 2008 03:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Um, yes. Twain and Swift not so personal, yes. Now, how about the modern conservative commentating blattersnipes I mentioned.

Joe(oh, yes, do include Annie Coulter. Never personal her.)Nation