Finn dAbuzz

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 01:54 am
@old europe,
Quote:
"Kill him!" proposed one man in the audience.

I could be wrong but I don't think that one man in the audience constitutes any definition of "they."

Someone yelled "treason." Heaven forbid!

Quote:
Some in the audience are making it personal, against the Democrat. Shouts of "traitor," "terrorist," "treason," "liar," and even "off with his head"

And this constitutes proof that McCain/Palin are inciting violence?

You must be kidding.

No matter what we may think of cries of "traitor," "terrorist," and "liar," to suggest that violence is likely to follow such cries is ridiculous.

As for "Off with his head." have you lost your sense of humor? (did you ever have one?)

"They" implies the majority of the crowd, not a few miscreants and wags.

I have no idea who the miscreants and wags might be, but I guarantee their counterparts reside within pro-Obama crowds.

I assume you were equally outraged when Charles Brooker of the Guardian lamented the absence of John Wilkes Boothe, Lee Harvey Oswald, and David Hinckly during a visit by Bush to the UK.

(I have to assume that someone calling themselves "Old Europe" is, unlike our dear friend Cicerone Imposter, familiar with european newspapers)
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 08:25 am
Yesterday, on a couple of occasions (and for the first time in a while) set himself on the honorable course and told his red-meat-hungry audience to cool it..."Obama is a decent man" and "An Obama presidency wouldn't be 'dangerous'". That crowd booed these comments which, I suppose, sounded to them as if the comments were coming through 'the filter of the mainstream liberal press'. Hats off to John.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:17 am
As governor, Palin at times bonds church and state By GARANCE BURKE, Associated Press Writer

WASILLA, Alaska - The camera closes in on Sarah Palin speaking to young missionaries, vowing from the pulpit to do her part to implement God's will from the governor's office.

What she didn't tell worshippers gathered at the Wasilla Assembly of God church in her hometown was that her appearance that day came courtesy of Alaskan taxpayers, who picked up the $639.50 tab for her airplane tickets and per diem fees.

An Associated Press review of the Republican vice presidential candidate's record as mayor and governor reveals her use of elected office to promote religious causes, sometimes at taxpayer expense and in ways that blur the line between church and state.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081011/ap_on_el_pr/palin_church_and_state;_ylt=AsXLnM_TYqdoJqBuQegmrU2s0NUE
cicerone imposter

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:20 am
@blueflame1,
No wonder she wants to secede from the USA.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 11:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Quote:
However, it doesn't mean that people who vote Obama aren't every bit as reasonable and intelligent.

You are absolutely right. It doesn't.

There is some question though whether or not certain Obama supporters can recognized sarcasm.

While others question if McCain supporters can recognize irony.

T
K
Wink
0 Replies

Debra Law

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 02:30 pm
Keller v. French
Superior Court Ruling on Motion to Dismiss
http://abcnews.go.com/images/Blotter/Motion-Order.pdf

A "must" read for those who are interested in the McCain Campaign's interference into the troopergate investigation.

Excerpts:

Page 10-11:

"If -- and this is a big, hypothetical 'if' --Senator French were too 'partisan' to be selected by his fellow legislators to serve as Project Manager, those are issues that the Constitution expressly delegates to the Legislature itself to address, not the courts or the executive or the McCain Campaign."

Page 11:

"Plaintiffs also charge that Mr. Blanchflower's investigation 'has expanded beyond the Legislative Council's own adopted motion.' [Cite to Complaint.] The legislative authorization, as quoted by the Complaint, was "to investigate the circumstances and events surrounding the termination of former Public Safety Commissioner Monegan and potential abuses of power/improper action by the executive branch.' [Cite to Complaint.] The Complaint contains not a single allegation of any investigative activity that falls outside the scope of that explicit authorization.

Page 13-14:

"Nor is there any reason to assume that the unnamed 'witnesses or participants' face any 'hindrance' to protecting their own interests. Indeed, recent events demonstrate that 'witnesses or participants' who want to stonewall Mr. Branchflower's fact finding inquiry can count on plenty of assistance from lawyers and McCain Campaign operatives, with even the highest law enforcement officer in the State -- the Attorney General -- stepping in to advise affected state employees that whether to comply with legislative subpoenas is a matter of choice. In short, there is no evidence whatsoever from which this court could conclude that any third parties need Plainiffs' help in asserting their due process rights, and the due process claims must be dismissed for lack of standing."

Page 14:

CONCLUSION

"The Complaint in this case is a political, not a legal, document. It spends many paragraphs impugning the fairness and integrity of Senator French, Senator Elton, and Special Counsel Branchflower, but it does so apparently only in an attempt to taint the investigation; . . . .

0 Replies

Debra Law

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 02:47 pm
Crowd protests Palin outside state Capitol

The Associated Press

Published: October 12th, 2008 12:15 AM
Last Modified: October 12th, 2008 12:44 AM

JUNEAU -- At least 200 people protesting the policies of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin rallied in the pouring rain outside the state Capitol.

They carried signs with sayings like "Real women are not lipstick wearing pit bulls."

Unlike other pro- or anti-Palin rallies that have been held around the state, the Saturday morning event did not draw a counter protest.

Former state public health director Peter Nakamura told the crowd that Palin has done little to insure quality health care for Alaskans.

Paula Terrel, a commercial fisherman, described Palin's record protecting fisheries as "dismal" and Tony Strong, an attorney and Tlingit Indian, said Palin was no friend to Alaska Natives.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/553697.html

cicerone imposter

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 02:53 pm
@Debra Law,
I love it! You posted:
Quote:
They carried signs with sayings like "Real women are not lipstick wearing pit bulls."

It's what I've been saying about bull-Palin for several days. LOL
0 Replies

Debra Law

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 02:55 pm
"Why are the Feds all over Uncle Ted for a little remodeling when Sarah got a free house out of the Wasilla sports center deal? Why do Alaskans have to go to the Village Voice to read about it?"

Comment on Anchorage Daily News Website: LINK

Does anyone know the basis upon which this person is accusing Palin of getting a free house out of the Wasilla sports center deal?

0 Replies

Debra Law

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 03:09 pm
Googling "Village Voice," I found this:

The Book of Sarah (Palin)

Quote:
....Todd Palin told Fox News that he built the two-story, 3,450-square-foot, four-bedroom, four-bath, wood house himself, with the help of contractors he described as "buddies." As mayor, Sarah Palin blocked an effort to require the filing of building permits in the wide-open city, and there is no public record of who the "buddies" were....

cicerone imposter

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 06:23 pm
@Debra Law,
Easy; round up all the joe sixpacks, and you got your "contractors."
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 06:46 pm
Quote:

Palin greeted with "resounding boos" at Philly hockey game, FOX edits it out

Hockey Mom Sarah Palin was welcomed in the city of brotherly love Saturday night with a resounding chorus of boos when she took center ice for the ceremonial puck drop. Gotta love the clearly visible Obama/Biden signs in the background.

Lynn Zinser of the Times reports that Palin was greeted with "resounding (almost defeaning) boos." FOX News, on the other hand, reports that the reaction "mixed." Who's right? Jed put together this clip comparing the real footage with the footage FOX uses to make its case.

See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB7BODBIAVo

Report from:

http://www.crooksandliars.com/

cicerone imposter

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 06:57 pm
@JTT,
Typical joe sixpack said "Duguay: Oh, look how hot she is." (* That's from the second link.)
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 08:59 pm
Quote:
McCain And Palin Off Message In Response To North Korea Diplomacy

Yesterday, the Bush administration announced that the United States was removing North Korea from the State Department’s list of state sponsors of terrorism. The decision was made after North Korea “agreed to resume disabling a plutonium plant and to allow some inspections to verify that it had halted its nuclear program.”

The administration’s move quickly split the McCain-Palin ticket. John McCain issued a preemptive statement on Friday expressing his displeasure with the agreement:

I have previously said that I would not support the easing of sanctions North Korea unless the United States is able to fully verify the nuclear declaration Pyongyang submitted on June 26. […] I expect the administration to explain exactly how this new verification agreement advances American interests and those of our allies before I will be able to support any decision to remove North Korea from the list of state sponsors of terrorism.

When asked about the deal on Saturday, McCain’s running mate Sarah Palin " trying desperately to demonstrate her own foreign policy competence " offered a contradictory response:

in her usual eloquent fashion

Condoleezza Rice, of course, having worked on this strategy for quite some time, I have faith in her that they’re making this wise decision and North Korea, of course, better live up to its end of the bargain there, in speaking with the other countries whom they’ve been working with, in promising the verification. That end of the bargain has got to be lived up to.

Watch it:

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/12/mccain-palin-north-korea/

But Sarah doesn't have to agree with John. She figures to be sitting in the top spot weeks, if not days after the inauguration. Who will she pick as her vp, the first dude?
cicerone imposter

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 10:08 pm
@JTT,
That's funny; two different foreign policy voices from the McCain/Palin team. That's what you get when you choose a veep with no foreign policy experience.

McCain's choice is now burning the "bridge" he used to enjoy since the first week of his choice. Gee, was that the "bridge to nowhere?" LOL
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:38 am
a bit of verse about Sarah

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=7DIc8jdra0o
cicerone imposter

Mon 13 Oct, 2008 12:57 pm
@farmerman,
One of the best lines is "just because I can see the moon, doesn't make me an astronaut."
0 Replies

blueflame1

Tue 14 Oct, 2008 03:49 pm
Bush Strategist: McCain Knows He Put Country At Risk With Palin Pick

Matthew Dowd, a prominent political consultant and chief strategist for George W. Bush's reelection campaign eviscerated John McCain on Tuesday for his choice of Sarah Palin as vice president.

Dowd proclaimed that, in his heart of hearts, McCain knew he put the country at risk with his VP choice and that he would "have to live" with that fact for the rest of his career.

"They didn't let John McCain pick the person he wanted to pick as VP," Dowd declared during the Time Warner Summit panel. "When Sarah Palin got picked instead of Joe Lieberman, which I fundamentally believed would have given John McCain the best opportunity in this race... as soon as he picked Palin, that whole ready versus not ready argument was not credible."

Saying that Palin was a "net negative" on the ticket, he went on: "[McCain] knows, in his gut, that he put somebody unqualified on the ballot. He knows that in his gut, and when this race is over that is something he will have to live with... He put somebody unqualified on that ballot and he put the country at risk, he knows that."

The other panelists were surprised, a bit, by Dowd's bluntness. Not least because McCain's well-known campaign motto is "country first."

"No, I don't agree," said Mark McKinnon, a former McCain aide, after chiding Dowd for claiming particular insight into McCain's soul.

"Well," responded Dowd, "that's even more disturbing than my thought" -- the implication being that it would be truly frightening if McCain didn't know how bad Palin truly was.

Time columnist Joe Klein summed up what seemed to be the panel's Palin consensus.

"It was a gimmick," he said of the pick. "It was one of the most disastrous decisions I have seen in a presidential campaign since I've begun covering them."

Later in the session, Hilary Rosen, the Huffington Post's Washington editor at large, noted that the Palin pick had been successful in energizing the Republican base -- and McCain himself. But Dowd wasn't biting.

"To me it is like Halloween," he said. "You get energized by eating all that candy at night but then you feel sick the next day."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/14/bush-strategist-mccain-kn_n_134570.html
High Seas

Tue 14 Oct, 2008 03:57 pm
@blueflame1,
Stop this godawful nonsense, Blueflame; Dowd is just being a bitchy unemployed critter trying to climb onto the McCain/Palin bandwagon (the folks there won't give him the time of day, btw, let alone letting him board) when he comments that:

Quote:
"To me it is like Halloween," he said. "You get energized by eating all that candy at night but then you feel sick the next day."

The only thing that's like Halloween is the specter of Obama and sidekick haunting the land for the next 4 years. I have faith in the judgement of the American people and also I have good memory and recall that 2 weeks before another election Michael Dukakis was 15 to 20 points ahead of the Republican candidate. Wait till 2012, try again Smile
Cycloptichorn

Tue 14 Oct, 2008 04:10 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Stop this godawful nonsense, Blueflame; Dowd is just being a bitchy unemployed critter trying to climb onto the McCain/Palin bandwagon (the folks there won't give him the time of day, btw, let alone letting him board) when he comments that:

Quote:

The only thing that's like Halloween is the specter of Obama and sidekick haunting the land for the next 4 years. I have faith in the judgement of the American people and also I have good memory and recall that 2 weeks before another election Michael Dukakis was 15 to 20 points ahead of the Republican candidate. Wait till 2012, try again Smile

Dowd is dead on, and you are dead wrong about 1988.

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/081708_1988Polls2-tm.jpg

081708_1988Polls2

In the non-incumbent race of 1988, Michael Dukakis received a healthy boost from the Democratic convention, but it had all but disappeared before the Republican convention in August. In contrast, the boost provided to George H.W. Bush by the Republican convention persisted throughout the fall election.

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/convention_bumps_in_context.php

Turns out your memory sucks donkey balls, HoT. Try not to be so condescending to others when you are completely wrong yourself.

In fact, this is really instructive. Obama is holding the position right now, that Bush sr. held in 1988, and look how big his victory was. Compare the charts yourself, if you dare...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies