Cycloptichorn

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:04 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

You don't understand social realities, Drew. Women are considered a minority in this country. Period.

Maybe by people who don't know the facts.

Female 1 145,532,800 51.1 %
Male 1 139,267,200 48.9 %

That's 6 million more women then men; hardly a 'minority' Laughing

Cycloptichorn
Lash

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:04 pm
@DrewDad,
Hillary has been shrill on occasion. I haven't seen comments that she was shrill when I had actually seen the speech...and knew she wasn't. I DID happen to watch this speech by Palin intently. ...and can attest to the fact that the sexist modifier did not apply.
DontTreadOnMe

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:05 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

She may be the first female president...hope to tweak her social policies, though.

yeah, she could be.

thing is, regarding her social policies; she comes off to me as a true believer.

hard right social conservatives tend to be implacable on things.
Lash

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
When laws permit lobbyists to run the show, oppting out alone is suicide. I know McCain has been involved in attempting to change the laws governing PACs--but you can't do it alone...
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo---I was certain it was NOTHING MORE THAN A GIMMICK until I heard what she had to say--and what she's DONE. Govt jet on eBay...lmao...several things. She's different...an individualist who thinks outside the box. She has an 80% popularity rating as Gov.... I think McC knew he's found a surprise.
0 Replies

okie

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:08 pm
@Lash,
Woe, are you serious? Its just the high pitched thing at times, but hey, I am not opposing her. Calm down.
0 Replies

Lash

@Cycloptichorn,
SOCIAL REALITY....not math, Drew. Jeez...what a goofball. The US govt considers it so. You should call them if you want to change that.
okie

@Lash,
What sexist talk? Man, I didn't intend to stir up a hornets nest here.
Lash

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:09 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Yeah. I do have a few serious problems with her. You have a point.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:11 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Plenty of men have run for office with all kinds of crap in their kid's closets. Why is Palin treated differently?

mmm, gonna have to disagree with ya here.

remember gary hart? eagleton? bill clinton? al gore? kerry? michelle obama?

see, what i'm about is equality for women. overall, equality is a good thing for everyone.

thing is, equality also means that while you get to jump in the pool, you must also except that you are going to get wet along with everyone else.
Lash

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:12 pm
@okie,
Tell me what part of the speech was shrill.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:13 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DTOM--

Which one of them was vilified as a parent because of something their kid did? Or vilified because as a parent, because the needs of their children rendered them unable to do the job or immoral if they took the job?
Lash

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:16 pm
@Lash,
btw---lmao---if you want an example of a woman being shrill, read my last 8 posts...hahaha.
0 Replies

squinney

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:19 pm
@Lash,
You might want to check the facts on what reform SHE HAS BROUGHT ABOUT.

I think the fact that she is female and that we are even discussing whether or not she should be treated with kid gloves in future debates with Biden, or calling her shrill being identified as sexist, or calling for the media to lay off her, or crediting her soccer mom status as qualification for VP, etc. is ALL ridiculous!

Hey, did Hillary, Pelosi, Condi, Reno, .... get treated with kid gloves? No!

Did anyone say the media needed to lay off of Hillary? Hutchison? Condi? Reno? Pelosi? Hardly!

The Republicans are trying to pre-empt and set the rules for how she gets treated as a female which is MORE sexist than how the media or Dems are reacting to her.

If she's all that, let her show us. If she werea strong candidate ready to be VP, or a heartbeat away from the presidency and capable of standing up to Russia, China and terrorists, the republicans wouldn't have to try to protect her from the mean ol' media and Dems.
Lash

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:23 pm
@squinney,
I have checked it...maybe YOU should.

The GOP wants them to lay off HER CHILD, not her.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:26 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I have checked it...maybe YOU should.

The GOP wants them to lay off HER CHILD, not her.

Hmm, then maybe she shouldn't have released the story about her daughter's pregnancy to the press? You are aware that she and McCain did that on Monday morning, right?

In retrospect, it seems callous and cold, the way they played it; release salacious info, press gets all over it, then yell at the press for going after the bait you dangled out, and conflate Obama up in it. Callous and cold.

Cycloptichorn
DontTreadOnMe

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:27 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

DTOM--

Which one of them was vilified as a parent because of something their kid did? Or vilified because as a parent, because the needs of their children rendered them unable to do the job or immoral if they took the job?

i didn't think you meant "children" specifically. i see it all as personal life in general.

but if we want to "think kids", there was a thing about chelsea clinton being another dog in the white house. seem to remember i lot of mean spiritedness about amy carter as well.

one of kerry's daughters is in film. while i don't remember specific quotes, there were a few snide remarks about her and hollywood.

--

and in general stuff;

do you remember sean hannity's endless carping about both pelosi and hill being shrill ? it was his favorite word for a while. didn't it bother women when sean hammered on it ? bothered me. bothers me to use the word with palin as well. not because it's an unusable word, but more like it's being used incorrectly.

cocky and sarcastic, yeah. shrill. nah, she was pretty even voiced through most her speech.

Ticomaya

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:30 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
You're a dad ...would you purposely do something that would splash your children all over the world in a light which would leave them open to ridicule and nastiness and no doubt about it to advance your career? Yes or no.

Question
Are you saying all politicians are bad parents? Or just those Mothers that run for Vice-President?

cicerone imposter

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:33 pm
@Ticomaya,
No, just mothers who doesn't belong as the VP designate that lies to the American People at the convention.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:33 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
You're a dad ...would you purposely do something that would splash your children all over the world in a light which would leave them open to ridicule and nastiness and no doubt about it to advance your career? Yes or no.

Question
Are you saying all politicians are bad parents? Or just those Mothers that run for Vice-President?

Just mothers whose daughters have embarassing problems. Now they are in the awkward position of pretending that pre-marital sex and teenage pregnancies are somehow good things.

Cycloptichorn