Cycloptichorn

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:53 pm
@Lash,
I just disagree with you completely. I understand that the speech wasn't pointed at me, so I likely will miss much of the appeal; but she was petty and catty throughout many of her attacks, and she lacked any discussion of specifics about what sort of 'reform' she wanted to bring about.

As I said above - she recycled the same exact attacks that others in the Republican party used this Summer. There wasn't anything really new in it. Her sarcastic and condescending tone isn't likely to attract independents. But I can see how the base would be happy with the speech.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:08 am
@okie,
Postscript to my post, I missed Giuliani's speech, so will have to check a replay out when I get a chance. That is why I didn't rate him against Huckabee, Romney, and Palin.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:47 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I'd be proud to have a woman like her shatter that glass ceiling. She is a reformer and a brave individualist.

If she breaks the glass ceiling, I think some worry she'll only replace it with one made of steal.

As for individualist. She was as partisan as it comes tonight. I guess that's her job now. Hold down the base, while McCain gambles with the independents. It's a risky play, but I understand it. McCain has to do something to stay in the race.

T
K
O
DontTreadOnMe

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:47 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Lash wrote:
I'd be proud to have a woman like her shatter that glass ceiling. She is a reformer and a brave individualist.

If she breaks the glass ceiling, I think some worry she'll only replace it with one made of steal.

As for individualist. She was as partisan as it comes tonight. I guess that's her job now. Hold down the base, while McCain gambles with the independents. It's a risky play, but I understand it. McCain has to do something to stay in the race.

T
K
O

yuh... depending on how she does, the gop may keep an eye on her if mccain doesn't win.

2012 isn't that far off.
Diest TKO

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:20 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
Yeah, but she could be scapegoated too if the campaign fails. Partisan republicans are a dime a dozen, McCain's (original) appeal was that they could win moderates/swing votes.

T
K
O
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:15 am
@FreeDuck,
Here's one (just the first one I've come across):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_fact_check
sozobe

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:17 am
@Brandon9000,
This has to do with how Palin is going to go over. I had predicted that some people would have the response Dr. Laura displayed, and posted the Dr. Laura thing as evidence that some people are in fact responding that way. (Specifically, that some of the conservative Republicans she is supposed to appeal to will instead be dismayed that a mother of a high-needs child would take on this responsibility.)
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 06:21 am
McCains VP Choice managed a budget in excess 20Billion with employees in excess of 24,000. Her approval rating is in excess of 80%.

Oblamas choice claims foreign policy experience and is a leader in a Congress with an approval rating less than Bush. They claim our foreing policy is in disarray. Yet Biden is a leader in foreign policy.

I am not fooled. Oblama can not argue policy with McCain and win. Oblama wants to change the focus from McCain to Palin.

That is what a loser does (as evidenced by the rnting on this thread by the left.)
parados

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 06:43 am
@Woiyo9,
"Winners" call people names I guess. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

DrewDad

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 06:52 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

It's so funny to see how the party line is being toed so stridently. She has them running scared. Female news types were saying how Harry Reid had better watch his ass, calling her "shrill." I am so damn glad that FINALLY men will be forced to watch the buzz words they use to denounce women. I have heard shrill women...Palin was cool, calm and even. It is only someone who wishes to dismiss her as a woman who would use that word.

Seems I recall folks doing that to Clinton. Some of the same folks on this board that you're so chummy with, now.

Lash wrote:
The Dems are just furious that once again, the Republicans have put up a qualified, intelligent member of a minority.

Er... Minority?

Lash wrote:
She handled EVERY issue with brilliance and humor. Something the Dems seemed to have just run out of.

Have you ever heard Obama speak? Hello?
DrewDad

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:01 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
FORMER MASSACHUSETTS GOV. MITT ROMNEY: "We need change, all right " change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington! We have a prescription for every American who wants change in Washington " throw out the big-government liberals, and elect John McCain and Sarah Palin."

BWAHahahahahahahahahaha!

At least someone in the Republican party has caught on to what the Bush administration really is.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:02 am
Women from all parties will rally behind and support Palin.
Women over 40 will push the republican presidential ticket to the top and keep it there.
Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:15 am
@Ticomaya,
You're a dad ...would you purposely do something that would splash your children all over the world in a light which would leave them open to ridicule and nastiness and no doubt about it to advance your career? Yes or no.
firefly

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:18 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Women from all parties will rally behind and support Palin.

In fact, all women will be so taken and impressed with Palin, they will rally and unite and demand that she replace McCain as the presidential candidate. And, if that doesn't work, they will elect McCain, but they will have him impeached and removed from office, within an hour of taking the oath, so that Sister Sarah can become president.Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:19 am
@joefromchicago,
I get your point in your first sentence. But comparing her to Edwards is apples and oranges. His wife is a mature woman with cancer..... and that's not something that's going to make Elizabeth Edwards the butt of jokes and derisive remarks. And you're wrong about Bristol and her pregnancy becoming obscure. Two word....Brittney Spears.
revel

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:19 am
I would like to hear at least one republican tell me how Patlin or McCain is going to answer any of the current big issues that we are facing on account of policies already in place that is different than the policies already in place. Answer, there is none.

Apparently Patlin made some re-hashed cheap shots and now she is accorded to be a grand speaker with humor? Fine, but what will she bring to the ticket? She is no reformer if you look at her record and she is against every single woman's issue there is on the democratic side so I don't see her bringing those over.

I am also tired of this sexism charge, some might merit it. I personally don't think people should be talking about her having kids with whatever problems (makes it worse to talk about a child with down syndrome) and working because men do it everyday and I think it is wrong to beat up on her because she has an unwed pregnant teenage daughter. Kind of novel though to hear republicans defend all that instead of trashing it out. Obama has said those things are off limits but it seems some go off on tangents. What I disagree with her about is simply her record as governor of Alaska once I started looking around for information about it. McCain brought a newcomer no one knew, do they just expect everyone to just take their word for who she is and her past record? It is not sexism to look into who she is and report and talk about it.
H2O MAN

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:28 am
@revel,
revel wrote:

but what will she bring to the ticket?

She will bring experience from a woman's point of view in a mans world.

Of the three men running - McCain and Biden have experience, but Obama has none.
FreeDuck

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:29 am
@okie,
To be fair, okie, I think this speech was designed to introduce her as a candidate and I am not surprised there wasn't a lot of substantive policy stuff. She's there to fire up the base and she did so. I would expect to see more policy stuff as we go along.

I did think that last night was designed to reignite the whole red state vs. blue state fake culture war of 2004. I don't know how well that plays this go around. I mean, really, Romney dissing Gore for having a private jet? Like he walks to work. And mocking the other party's convention stage set? Really? Is that what this election is about? And what the hell is wrong with being a community organizer? Maybe the communities that these two candidates grew up in didn't need to organize to make their lives better, but there are many communities in America that do.

A couple of interesting things I was thinking about this morning:

The Republicans are trying to co-opt the change message after dissing it for several months, conveniently forgetting that it's their own party who has been running the government for 8 years.

Both tickets are more balanced now. Obama added experience to the ticket and McCain added excitement. This will certainly make things interesting.
Brandon9000

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:37 am
@Lash,
I agree with you in general, except the anti-man rant, but what minority is she a member of?
revel

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:49 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
She will bring experience from a woman's point of view in a mans world.

Ok, in what way will she bring experience from a woman’s point of view in a man's world? (Rolls eyes at the term, "man's world") She is against abortion and she is against teaching sex education contraceptives. She slashed funding for unwed mothers while having the most earmarks for pork belly spending for her state. They say they are glad her daughter made the choice to not abort her baby and she has plans to wed the father. Well and good. But what about all the other unwed pregnant or already mothers who are not as fortunate to have the father at some point marry them (as though that is going to answer everything; another eye roll?) Or not as fortunate to have a family that can afford to support the unwed teenager with another child on the way and to help raise and support that child once it is born? You republicans are awfully good about talking about how important life is but once the life gets here, hey "you are on your own." ( Obama quote) By slashing funds for unwed mothers, that is exactly Palin espouses in a nutshell for all those other unwed mothers who were dependent on that money to help them get started with education and help with health care and stuff like that.
0 Replies