DrewDad

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:48 pm
@sozobe,
That's a view I've heard from other parents, especially parents with young kids.

Parents with grown kids, or folks without kids don't seem to mind it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:53 pm
@Ticomaya,
With one of the smallest population. Many cities in the US has more than the state of Alaska.
0 Replies

firefly

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:47 pm
@H2O MAN,
All we will really learn about Palin from her speech tonight is how well she can read a teleprompter and deliver a speech. I am sure she can do those things well, and she's been practicing her delivery all afternoon.
But, the words coming out of her mouth will have been written for her, and carefully crafted to present a desired image. So, we're not likely to really learn anything new about Sarah Palin or where she stands on the major issues facing the country, she'll just be saying what's she's being told to say.
hawkeye10

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:54 pm
@firefly,
let see; she has had a speech written for her, she has not be available to the media since the day she was picked in large part because she has been practicing her delivery.....ya, she should give a fine performance tonight.
firefly

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Analysis: McCain camp plays sexism card for Palin
By RON FOURNIER " 1 hour ago

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) " John McCain's campaign could be panicking or politicking with its claim that sexism lies beneath any questions about Sarah Palin's past.

They say they're not panicked " that the Alaska governor's spot on the GOP ticket is secure " so that leaves room for just one conclusion for now: McCain's political team is playing the gender card to appeal to women, and bashing the media to solidify support among conservatives.

Hours before Palin's high-stakes address to the nation, McCain was trying to inoculate his untested and embattled running mate against criticism.

"This is part of a very clever strategy to lead the Democrats into a trap that will end up with them dumping on Gov. Palin and paying a heavy price," said GOP consultant Rich Galen.

The chorus began at dawn Wednesday when senior adviser Steve Schmidt released a statement declaring that the campaign would no longer answer questions about its background check of Palin, a little-known governor whose every blemish is being paraded before Americans.

"The vetting controversy," Schmidt said, acknowledging that McCain has trouble on his hands, "is a faux media scandal designed to destroy the first female Republican nominee for the vice president of the United States who has never been a part of the old boys' network that has come to dominate the news establishment of this country."

It was a two-fer: Schmidt both tried to rally undecided female voters behind McCain's historic pick and prodded conservative Republicans to do what they do every election cycle " blame the media.

Palin herself accused the media of judging her unqualified simply because she's not a member of the Washington elite. "But here's a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion," she said in remarks prepared for delivery Wednesday night. "I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country."

And so, Schmidt suggested, the campaign won't explain why Palin waited until last week to tell the McCain team that her unmarried 17-year-old daughter is five months pregnant.

Or why Palin didn't submit to a face-to-face interview with the head of McCain's search team until a few days before her announcement.

Or why she's accused of improperly ordering the firing of the former public safety commissioner.

Or why she supported the infamous "Bridge to Nowhere" and other pork-barrel projects before telling the nation on Saturday that she was against them.

"This nonsense," Schmidt said, "is over."

Not likely.

Palin is seeking to be a heartbeat away from the presidency. The media views its job as scrutinizing her background, helping voters determine her readiness to serve and raising questions about the decision-making process of the man who chose her " a man, John McCain, who tells voters he has the experience and judgment to serve as president.

The scrutiny will continue, as it always does, and the betting among leading Republicans is that Palin survives. None of the revelations so far rise to the level of disqualifying. And, while she has served less than a term as governor, Democratic Sen. Barack Obama is the living embodiment of the fact that this election is less about experience than it is about change. Voters want a fresh approach, if not a fresh face, in Washington.

Inside the Republican Party, Palin delivers for McCain on two counts.

First, he needs to peel away a fraction of the independent-minded female vote trending toward Obama. Seizing on the so-called vetting controversy, McCain's campaign made a shrewd appeal to women by casting Palin as a victim of familiar circumstances.

"How do we balance our career, in her case a political career, with that of motherhood and continue to have a very fine family?" asked former U.S. Treasurer Rosario Marin, one of dozens of women dispatched to media outlets by the McCain campaign.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani toted his feminist talking points around to no fewer than five morning TV interviews.

"The scrutiny you are giving her is so darn unfair. It is really indecent," he told MSNBC's morning crew. "She is being asked questions like, can you, as a mother ... be vice president? Whoever asked a man?"

And so he went, from one TV camera to the next.

CBS: "Where are the feminists?"

ABC: "Give the woman a chance ..."

Fox News: "I'm at the point of (being) really angry."

And that's the point. McCain wants conservative voters, many of whom were lukewarm toward his candidacy, whipped into high dudgeon in defense of Palin, angry at the media and the unnamed liberal elites who are denounced by most every convention speaker.

Unfortunately for Democrats, they can't protest too much over McCain's use of the gender card " not after the race between Obama and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton stirred sex and racial tensions.

It was regrettable that Democrats backing a black man and white woman "say things that veer off into the personal," Clinton said at the time. "We ought to keep this on issues."

Not likely.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Ron Fournier has covered politics for The Associated Press for more than 20 years.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 08:47 pm
wuh oh

Guess what's going to share time with her speech story tomorrow?

Quote:
Palin E-Mails Show Intense Interest in Trooper's Penalty

By James V. Grimaldi and Karl Vick
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, September 4, 2008; A27

EAGLE RIVER, Alaska, Sept. 3 -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the running mate for GOP presidential candidate John McCain, wrote e-mails that harshly criticized Alaska state troopers for failing to fire her former brother-in-law and ridiculed an internal affairs investigation into his conduct.

The e-mails were shown to The Washington Post by a former public safety commissioner, Walter Monegan, who was fired by Palin in July. Monegan has given copies of the e-mails to state ethics investigators to support his contention that he was dismissed for failing to fire Trooper Mike Wooten, who at the time was feuding with Palin's family.

"This trooper is still out on the street, in fact he's been promoted," said a Feb. 7, 2007, e-mail sent from Palin's personal Yahoo account and written to give Monegan permission to speak on a violent-crime bill before the state legislature.

"It was a joke, the whole year long 'investigation' of him," the e-mail said. "This is the same trooper who's out there today telling people the new administration is going to destroy the trooper organization, and that he'd 'never work for that b****', Palin'.)"

Asked about the e-mails, Palin's campaign spokeswoman, Maria Comella, said that Palin was merely alerting officials to potential threats to her family and that there is no evidence that Palin ever ordered Wooten to be fired.

"Let's be clear, Governor Palin has done nothing wrong and is an open book in this process. Mr. Monegan even stated himself that no one ever told him to fire anyone, period," Comella said later in a statement. "The Governor was rightly expressing concern about Mr. Wooten."

Palin is under investigation by a bipartisan state legislative body that was authorized last month to look into whether Palin pressured Monegan to force Wooten from the state police force and whether his failure to do so led to his dismissal.

Palin had promised to cooperate with the legislative inquiry, but last month she hired a lawyer to fight to move the case to the jurisdiction of the state personnel board, which Palin appoints. Her attorney, Thomas V. Van Flein, challenged the jurisdiction of Stephen Branchflower, the retired prosecutor hired to investigate and report back to the legislature by the last week of October.

When Palin entered the governor's office in late 2006, Wooten already had been reprimanded, reassigned and suspended for five days for incidents reported by Palin's family. They had filed complaints in April 2005 after her younger sister's marriage fell apart and the couple battled in a bitter child-custody dispute.

Palin has said previously that she discussed Wooten with Monegan only in the context of security concerns for the family. Monegan has said that Palin never directly told him to fire Wooten but that the message was clearly conveyed through repeated messages from Palin, her husband and three members of her Cabinet.

"To allege that I, or any member of my family . . . directed disciplinary action be taken against any employee of the Department of Public Safety, is, quite simply, outrageous," Palin said in a statement in mid-July after Monegan's dismissal.

In August, Palin acknowledged that "pressure could have been perceived to exist, although I have only now become aware of it."

During an interview here Wednesday, Monegan said that as Alaska's top law enforcement official, he took his duties seriously. "I would willingly die for the governor, but I would never lie for her," he said.

He showed The Post two e-mails he received from Palin, but he declined to give copies. The first e-mail came on Feb. 7, 2007, after the governor's husband, Todd, met with Monegan to press the case for disciplinary action against Wooten. Palin's family had accused the trooper of shooting a cow moose without a permit, Tasering his stepson, and drinking while driving a trooper vehicle. After her husband met with Monegan, Palin followed up with a phone call to Monegan.

In that first e-mail, sent a few weeks after the meeting, Palin encouraged Monegan to testify for a bill that would require 99-year sentences for police officers found guilty of murder. "For police officers to violate the public trust is a grave, grave violation -- in my opinion. We have too many examples lately of cops and troopers who violate the public trust. DPS has come across as merely turning a blind eye or protecting that officer, seemingly 'for the good of the brotherhood'."

She cited Wooten's case as an example of violating the public trust. She recounted his transgressions, beginning with the killing of the cow moose using a permit obtained by his wife. Molly McCann, who uses her name from a previous marriage, was with Wooten at the time.

"He's still bragging about it in my hometown and after another cop confessed to witnessing the kill, the trooper was 'investigated' for over a year and merely given a slap on the wrist," the e-mail said. "Though he's out there arresting people today for the same crime!"

"He threatened to kill his estranged wife's parent, refused to be transferred to rural Alaska and continued to disparage Natives in words and tone, he continues to harass and intimidate his ex. -- even after being slapped with a restraining order that was lifted when his supervisors intervened," the e-mail said. "He threatens to always be able to come out on top because he's 'got the badge', etc. etc. etc.)"

Palin wrote that the Wooten matter had contributed to "the erosion of faith Alaskans should have in their law enforcement officials." She concluded by saying the e-mail was "just my opinion."

The second e-mail Monegan produced came from Palin's Yahoo address on July 17, 2007, after the local newspaper publicized a legislative proposal that would keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

Her first thought about the bill, the e-mail said, "went to my ex-brother-in-law, the trooper, who threatened to kill my dad yet was not even reprimanded by his bosses and still to this day carries a gun, of course."

"We can't have double standards. Remember when the death threat was reported, and follow-on threats from Mike that he was going to 'bring Sarah and her family down' -- instead of any reprimand WE were told by trooper union personnel that we'd be sued if we talked about those threats. Amazing. . . .

"So consistency is needed here," the e-mail said. "No one's above the law. If the law needs to be changed to not allow access to guns for people threatening to kill someone, it must apply to everyone."

Research editor Alice Crites in Washington contributed to this report.

She sent personal emails to the guy, her husband was confronting him about it?

I thought she didn't know of any pressure, though?

The continued drip of this story is going to hurt her and McCain.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:01 pm
I'm also pleased to notice that her speech isn't as good as I thought it might be. Too long, too much acrimony, too practiced on the pause lines.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
she did not write it, but the writing is very poor. Her performance should have been better based upon the press reports that she is a natural at public speaking, she is not, and there was only so much that can be learned in a few days.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It's plenty good.

Why would you have thought it would be good, Cyclops? After all, she's just a small state governor and former tiny town mayor.

It is a good speech. I like her.
hawkeye10

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:08 pm
@Ticomaya,
since she is an actor on the stage here, it is fair to say that this delivery is like a movie where the acting is so bad that the movie is interesting for comedy value.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:09 pm
@Ticomaya,
I agree its a good speech and she delivers it well. I think she will appeal to the base and libertarian leaning indys who can look past her stance on social issues.

The acrimony towards her opponent (she forgot she has two) kind of sticks in my craw. It comes off as catty to me, but I think the people shes talking to will like it. I dont recall McCain being so blatantly mocked during the DNC.
LionTamerX

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:10 pm
@Ticomaya,
Her voice is every bit as shrill and grating as Hillary's. It makes it hard to listen to what she's trying to say. Even Rudy, with his lisp and spitting, was easier to take.

Rotsa ruck, lepubricans. Wink
FreeDuck

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:10 pm
@FreeDuck,
I want to add that I will be awaiting the factcheck on her speech with baited breath.
Rockhead

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:12 pm
@Ticomaya,
As an intellectual, or a Christian Conservative?

I'm curious?

(you are still an intellectual, no?)

What does she bring to the show that is positive, counselor?
Brandon9000

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:15 pm
@sozobe,
Wouldn't you rather attack political positions you don't agree with than try to describe family dirt, or make personal things you don't really have inside knowledge of look bad?
Ticomaya

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:16 pm
@LionTamerX,
LionTamerX wrote:

Her voice is every bit as shrill and grating as Hillary's. ...

Oh, hell no! Not a chance.
Bi-Polar Bear

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:16 pm
@Brandon9000,
like a blow job? Marital infidelity? A personal family matter?
Rockhead

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:17 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon, you addressed that to Soz, were you by chance trying to talk at me???

(her post was AGES ago)

I doubt you really wanna pick at her, but yer a big boy now...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:18 pm
@Rockhead,
What does she bring? Didn't you listen to her speech?
Cycloptichorn

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:20 pm
I can't believe how negative and condescending she was. I know she had lots of meat in there for the right-wing - lots of things that you guys want to hear people saying on TV - but there was little that would attract a voter on the fence.

Lots of gushing praise for Sen. McCain, though. And did you know that he was a POW?

Not terrible, but not great.

Cycloptichorn