JPB

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:36 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Josh Marshall wrote:
Trendline

...Obama's bounce appears to be continuing and expanding during the RNC. And if you look closer at the numbers, the trend is not so much McCain losing support as a clear movement of hitherto undecideds into Obama's column.

Links embedded in original:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/212464.php

<raises hand>
FreeDuck

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:37 pm
I just remembered who else Governor Palin reminds me of... what was her name... oh yeah, Harriet Miers.
sozobe

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:38 pm
@JPB,
Yeah, I thought of you when I read that...!

A question... was it not until the Palin pick? Or did the convention (speech itself or some aspect of the whole thing) have an effect?
JPB

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:38 pm
@FreeDuck,
I made the same comment to a guest here yesterday. He paused for a moment and then said, "Exactly!".
0 Replies

JPB

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:41 pm
@sozobe,
I didn't pay any attention to the convention or to the speech. I'm not a member of either party and party politics sickens me. It was entirely the Palin pick.

As to Mr B... he was leaning McCain and is now a true undecided.
sozobe

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:43 pm
@JPB,
OK, thanks!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:51 pm
Wuh oh

Quote:
Her speech in June provides as much insight into her policy leanings as anything uncovered since she was asked to be John McCain's running mate.

Speaking before the Pentecostal church, Palin painted the current war in Iraq as a messianic affair in which the United States could act out the will of the Lord.

"Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God," she exhorted the congregants. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."

Religion, however, was not strictly a thread in Palin's foreign policy. It was part of her energy proposals as well. Just prior to discussing Iraq, Alaska's governor asked the audience to pray for another matter -- a $30 billion national gas pipeline project that she wanted built in the state. "I think God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/02/palins-church-may-have-sh_n_123205.html

There's video, too.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Another religious nut in the administration who talks to god is a plus for our country. God bless America!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Pray for a pipeline? Seriously?

I'm sure God has nothing better to do than help folks pump oil around the globe....
0 Replies

JPB

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Actually, I see that as a call to the congregants to pray that GWB isn't a complete moron.

"pray that there IS a plan and that that plan is God's plan".

oh, she of little faith...
DrewDad

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 01:01 pm
@JPB,
<snork>
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 01:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Ok...this pretty much settles it. I will not be voting for McCain while Palin is on the ticket.

Whether I vote for Obama remains to be seen (not that it matters since IL will go to Obama regardless of my vote).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 01:18 pm
God loves all gun-tot-en republicans with five children.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 01:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
So you do not like women and you do not like religion?

Did you complain when the Democrats open their convention with a prayer?

(Nice to see you use such objective bloggers like Huffington!)
Cycloptichorn

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 01:57 pm
@Woiyo9,
Mostly, I don't like people who can't make good arguments, woiyo.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

squinney

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 02:01 pm
@Woiyo9,
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080825/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_democrats_faith
Quote:
DENVER - At the first official event Sunday of the Democratic National Convention, a choir belted out a gospel song and was followed by a rabbi reciting a Torah reading about forgiveness and the future.

Helen Prejean, the Catholic nun who wrote "Dead Man Walking," assailed the death penalty and the use of torture.

Young Muslim women in headscarves sat near older African-American women in their finest Sunday hats....

Quite a difference from the Christian Right trying to force their agenda and beliefs down the throats of all Americans.

Not against women or religion, but YES most of us are against gun totin', inexperienced, religious right, no choice, 527 organizing Stevens supporters that are women with pregnant teens that were only taught abstinance now being considered for VP.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 02:06 pm
Wuh Oh

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/todd_palin_was_registered_memb.php

Quote:
Todd Palin Was Registered Member of Alaska Independence Party Until 2002
By Kate Klonick - September 2, 2008, 3:25PM

The McCain camp today disputed rumors that presumptive vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin was ever registered with the secessionist Alaska Independence Party by releasing years of voter registration history . . . but it looks like that doesn't apply to her husband.

This afternoon, the director of Division of Elections in Alaska, Gail Fenumiai, told TPMmuckraker that Todd Palin registered in October 1995 to the Alaska Independence Party, a radical group that advocates for Alaskan secession from the United States.

Besides a short period of a few months in 2000 when he changed his registration to undeclared, Todd Palin remained a registered member of AIP until July 2002 when he registered again as an undeclared voter.

She's done. Her husband was a registered member of a group of secessionists. It's as anti-American as you can get. A radical, anti-American group.

Of course, Palin had previously denied that either her or her husband were members or were active with the AIP. More lies...

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 02:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, You know as well as the next "guy," that that doesn't matter, because most people (Americans) don't understand what "secessionists" means. ROFL
Cycloptichorn

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 02:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We'll explain it to them, using small words.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Debra Law

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 02:32 pm
As noted elsewhere, but worthy of repeat, McCain and Palin are running on the ALASKA FIRST ticket:

Sarah Palin stated:

"As for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day? I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question."

And, Sarah Palin stated:

"I am ... I am up to the task, of course, of focusing on the challenges that face America, and I am very pleased with the situation that I am in, when, when you consider the situation now that Alaska will be in. And that is Alaska, and Alaskans will be allowed to contribute more to our great country and they'll be allowed to do that because I -- if we're elected -- will be in a position of opening the eyes of the country to what it is that Alaska is all about and what Alaska has to offer. So, I am happy to and very honored to be asked to do this. I know it's going to be great for Alaska."

Winning slogan: "Elect McCain and Palin--It's going to be great for Alaska."