Woiyo9

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:50 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Humbug.

You and your media friends are really worried to the point your bloggers have to make up tales about her youngest son being the child of her daughter.

You reference a so called scandel about her brother in law? This bum should have been fired along with the people who wanted to support him.!

"Before she was governor, Palin pushed for a trooper investigation of Wooten over a number of matters, including using a Taser on his stepson, illegally shooting a moose, and accusations of driving drunk. At one point, Palin and her husband hired a private investigator.

Troopers did investigate, and Wooten was suspended for 10 days, later reduced to five. That took care of it, Monegan said. But the Palin administration and Todd Palin wouldn't let go, he said."

http://www.adn.com/sarahpalin/story/510080.html
DrewDad

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:54 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:
You and your media friends are really worried to the point your bloggers have to make up tales about her youngest son being the child of her daughter.

Titillating stories involving the soap-opera-like possibilities of incest and hidden pregnancies hardly require fear or worry to fuel them.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:54 am
@Woiyo9,
I don't have to get into a pissing match with you about how I feel, Woiyo. There's no profit in it. Suffice it to say that I am overjoyed with the Palin pick, for she is not looking like a winner, she is not attracting any significant number of ex-Hillary voters, and she isn't scoring well with independents in polling. Obama is currently experiencing his highest levels of polling ever, with the lowest levels of undecideds. He's at his highest ever in the Rasmussen tracking poll and the Gallup poll; and that is with several days of Palin's announcement in the mix.

You can choose to believe me or not, but the fact is that McCain took a gamble and it's not looking good for him at the moment. It doesn't matter to me how pissy you and other Republicans want to get about it.

Cycloptichorn
Woiyo9

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:56 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Who is "pissy"?

You clowns are running around like this woman was the personification of evil.

That role has been filled and she is on your side!

Cycloptichorn

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:04 am
@Woiyo9,
She's not the personification of evil - just not a good choice for VP, and not a good choice for America. And polling shows that this is the general consensus.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:06 am
@Woiyo9,
"Personification of evil?"

More like a good dose of farce. The Old Man is courting the Young Woman with a Secret Past.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:08 am
In my opinion, Sarah Palin is delightfully wacky. I hope she stays in politics a long time.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:12 am
@DrewDad,
The Secretive Right-Wing Cabal That Met In Minneapolis To Vet Palin
by Max Blumenthal
Posted September 1, 2008

Last week, while the media focused almost obsessively on the DNC's spectacle in Denver, the country's most influential conservatives met quietly at a hotel in downtown Minneapolis to get to know Sarah Palin. The assembled were members of the Council for National Policy, an ultra-secretive cabal that networks wealthy right-wing donors together with top conservative operatives to plan long-term movement strategy.

CNP members have included Tony Perkins, James Dobson, Grover Norquist, Tim LaHaye and Paul Weyrich. At a secret 2000 meeting of the CNP, George W. Bush promised to nominate only pro-life judges; in 2004, then-Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist told the group, "The destiny of the nation is on the shoulders of the conservative movement." This year, thanks to Sarah Palin's selection, the movement may have finally aligned itself behind the campaign of John McCain.

Though Dobson and Perkins reportedly attended the recent CNP meeting in Minneapolis, a full roster of guests would be nearly impossible to require. The CNP deliberately operates below the radar, going to excessive lengths to obscure its activities. According to official CNP policy, "The media should not know when or where we meet or who takes part in our programs before or after a meeting." Thus the CNP's Minneapolis gathering was free of reporters. I only learned of the get-together through an online commentary by one of its attendees, top Dobson/Focus on the Family flack Tom Minnery. (Watch it here)

Minnery described the mood as CNP members watched Palin accept her selection as John McCain's Vice Presidential pick. "I was standing in the back of a ballroom filled with largely Republicans who were hoping against hope that something would put excitement back into this campaign," Minnery said. "And I have to tell you, that speech by Alaska Governor Sarah Palin -- people were on their seats applauding, cheering, yelling... That room in Minneapolis watching on the television screen was electrified. I have not seen anything like it in a long time."

Minnery added that his boss, Dobson, has yearned for a conservative female leader like Margaret Thatcher to emerge on the American scene. And while Palin is no Thatcher, "she has not rejected the feminine side of who she is, so for that reason, she will be attractive to conservative voters."

The members of the Council for National Policy are the hidden hand behind McCain's Palin pick. With her selection, the Republican nominee is suddenly -- and unexpectedly -- assured of the support of a movement that once opposed his candidacy with all its might. Case in point: while Dobson once said he could "never" vote for McCain, he issued a statement last week hailing Palin as an "outstanding" choice. If Dobson's enthusiasm for Palin is any indication, he may soon emerge from his bunker in Colorado Springs to endorse McCain, providing the Republican nominee with the backing of the Christian right's single most influential figure.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:12 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Yea, terrible to have a VP with more experience than a Presidential Candidate.

Is Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin the best choice to be a heartbeat away from the presidency? Many Americans are asking that question, and Sen. John McCain answered it with a resounding “yes” on Sunday.

“The facts are funny things,” McCain said in an interview with NBC’s Brian Williams.

“She’s been in elected office longer than Sen. Obama. She’s been the chief executive of the state that provides 20 percent of America’s energy; she has balanced budgets; she has had executive experience as governor, as mayor, as a city council member and PTA.

“So she was in elected office when Sen. Obama was still a local community organizer. He’s never had one day of executive experience.”

Palin served two terms on the Wasilla (Alaska) City Council, from 1992-1996. She was elected mayor of Wasilla in 1996 and served two terms there as well, until 2002, when she ran for lieutenant governor and lost.

She chaired the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission for one year, until 2004, and was elected governor of Alaska in 2006.

“I think it’s almost ludicrous to compare her experience in elected office and as a leader of one of the most important states in America -- certainly one of the largest -- to compare her experience with his. It’s no contest,” McCain said.

McCain said Palin is the best person to be his running mate “in every way.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=34921
Cycloptichorn

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:18 am
@Woiyo9,
She doesn't have more experience. 'Executive experience' is over-rated and nobody but Republicans care about that. It's the judgment of her actions while in office that matter, and the fact that she is under investigation for her abuse of power doesn't help her case that she is a good executive. The fact that she was the most pro-earmark person in the world - until they got unpopular - doesn't fit McCain's message of reform. He penchant for firing those she didn't consider 'sufficiently loyal' while mayor doesn't speak well. Her mis-management of the town finances (went from a surplus to a 22 million deficit) doesn't speak well.

But why don't you cut-and-paste another story from a right-wing news site? That will convince folks.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
"Executive experience" is not only over-rated, but it doesn't necessarily spill over from one venue to the next. There are a whole slue of variables in how any individual performs from one environment to the next; they're all different with different challenges, constraints, and limits of influence.

A greenhorn is still a greenhorn whether in local, state, or national politics. Even a mayor of a major American city doesn't necessarily transfer the same skills to the state or national level. If that were true, many well known mayors or governors would have become great presidents (or VPs).

Where are they?
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:48 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I would use a left wing source but the Daily Kos is having problems.

The only reason you say executive experience is overrated is because you candidate does not have any. Hillary thought it was important, so did Bill, but not you.

Want to talk about some scandals in the Biden resume?
Cycloptichorn

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:52 am
@Woiyo9,
Feel free to start a thread, about whatever scandals you like, Woiyo. The fact remains that Palin is a poor choice.

I don't think that DKos is having any problems; I just went to it without any delay.

Cycloptichorn
Woiyo9

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:54 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You are really worried about her.

Is it because she is a woman or a conservative woman?
Cycloptichorn

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:56 am
@Woiyo9,
Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I'm really worried about her. Honestly, she's got me shaking in my boots!

Oh noez, what will we do? McCain has picked an unknown, checkered-past, relatively inexperienced running mate - but she happens to be a woman! My god, that changes the entire calculus! We're going to lose now!

Get f*cking real, Woiyo, seriously

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:57 am
@Woiyo9,
Polls seem to be indicating that it's pro-McCain people who should be worried, Woiyo.

I'm quoting this one both for the info and for the caveats tho...

Josh Marshall wrote:
Trendline

With the proviso that tracking polls are very sketchy indicators of of where a race stands, today's results from Gallup and Rasmussen appear to show a clear trend. Gallup has Obama moving to 50% for the first time ever, with an 8 point margin over John McCain (50% - 42%). Meanwhile, Rasmussen has Obama at 51% with a 6 point margin when 'leaners' are factored in (51%-45%).

I cannot stress too much that tracking polls are very volatile, susceptible both to statistical news and ephemeral wobbliness in candidate support.

But in line with a number of regular polls out in the last 24 hours, they show a clear trend. Obama's bounce appears to be continuing and expanding during the RNC. And if you look closer at the numbers, the trend is not so much McCain losing support as a clear movement of hitherto undecideds into Obama's column.

Links embedded in original:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/212464.php
Cycloptichorn

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:01 pm
@sozobe,
Damn, you're quick. I was just about to post the same thing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You sure talk like you are afraid of the so called unknown.

Cycloptichorn

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:10 pm
@Woiyo9,
How do people sound when they are confident, I ask you?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:35 pm
That McCain picked an unknown woman to be VP just proves he's senile and out of touch with reality when there are so many conservatives who are so much more qualified.

That so many conservatives are enamored with Palin shows how they'll promote anything and everything that doesn't have any chance to win the "intelligent" voters. They've gotten too used to sheep in their party.
0 Replies