FreeDuck

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:36 pm
So, I think someone was speculating earlier as to whether McCain was going after Hillary voters. Based on the message he left on my answering machine some time this weekend, I think he is going after independent women who might have supported Hillary (besides obviously aiming to galvanize the base). Read something on Gallup that might bear that out: http://www.gallup.com/poll/109942/Can-Sarah-Palin-Appeal-White-Female-Independents.aspx

My take on Palin:

I still dont have enough info -- what was she doing between between being mayor and being governor?

She sounds like the lady on Prairie Home Companion.

I like the fact that she is a bootstrap sort of politician.

Cant feel her out on ethics... I read some stuff and think she is good on that, other stuff, not so much.

Cant stomach her stance on sex ed and abortion.

I just cannot picture her as president, dontcha know.

Could not give a rats ass about her kid and like Obamas treatment of that non-story.

I am conflicted as much as she is contradictory. I can relate to her... and then I cant.
JTT

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:37 pm
Does this mean that Sarah Palin hates America?

Quote:
Members of 'Fringe' Alaskan Independence Party Say Palin Was a Member in 90s

September 01, 2008 6:52 PM

The campaign of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., likes to herald the independence of its new running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so independent, she was once a member of their party, which, since the 1970s, has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not residents of the 49th state can secede from the United States.

And while McCain's motto -- as seen in a new TV ad -- is "Country First," the AIP's motto is the exact opposite -- "Alaska First -- Alaska Always."

Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, tells ABC News that Palin and her husband Todd were members in 1994, even attending the 1994 statewide convention in Wasilla. Clark was AIP secretary at the time.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/members-of-frin.html
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:41 pm
@FreeDuck,
One more thing, I got the sense when he made this announcement that he did it to step on any momentum that Obama might have gotten from the convention. He gave this great speech Thursday night but by Friday afternoon all anyone could talk about was this big surprise. Clever politically, but pretty short term thinking. He is getting a lot of press, which is maybe what he wanted, but I see it all going downhill from here.
JTT

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:49 pm
Cronyism remains a central tenet for Republicans. It seems Palin is every bit a little bush. Is part of McCain's platform restoring dignity and honor to the WH?

Quote:

Vetting Sarah Palin: Irl Stambaugh, Walt Monegan and Cronyism

It seems that John McCain's vice presidential pick Sarah Palin is not squeaky clean. In fact, she may be as corrupt as pretty much every other still living Alaskan Republican to have held statewide office (the Murkowskis, Ted Stevens, Don Young pretty much covers it).

It seems that in 1997, she almost got recalled as mayor of Wasilla?

What led to this? Seems she fired the city police chief and library director.

"Not fully supporting her efforts to govern" seems to have meant, "supporting her opponent, John Stein, in the 1996 election"

This led Police Chief Stambaugh to sue for breach of contract.

Three years later (via March 2nd, 2000's AP State and Local Wire), a federal judge ruled in favor of Palin. Not that she fired him for an ethical reason, though.

No, his ruling was that Alaska state law allows mayors to fire the chief of police for whatever reason he or she wanted.

http://hatthief.blogspot.com/2008/08/vetting-sarah-palin-irl-stambaugh-walt.html
eoe

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:52 pm
@FreeDuck,
I don't know what astounds me most. How cheaply they play their constituency or how often their constituency responds exactly the way they play them.
Sheep.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:54 pm
@old europe,
what I wonder about is how did McCain think that this was going to turn out ok. Seasoned pros like him did not get to be seasoned pros without knowing the golden rule, which is if you are going to prostitute yourself you must either a) know the person that you are in bed with or else b) get someone you trust to vouch for them before you do the deed.

McCain did not know Palin, nobody outside of Alaska knew her, and we know that is people did not talk to any of the Alaskans who do know her. McCain violated the gold rule, he has to know better. what the hell happened? My guess is that his wife pushed him into it, and that he was so upset about not getting the guy he wanted (Lieberman) that he did not care who the second choice was. I am sure that his belief that the VP should not have any portfolio played into it, as he fundamentally does not think that the VP being an ignorant is a problem because he is not going to let them do anything, but irregardless of that he can't have the pick be a political problem.
eoe

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
A simpler explanation...the old man is off his rocker.
hawkeye10

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:01 pm
@eoe,
very likely, and like Reagan's team covered for his alzheimer's Mccain's would cover for him, and get away with hiding a lot.
eoe

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
I can see where, in the middle of the term, his team may be forced to do something like that but right off the bat?
hawkeye10

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:13 pm
@eoe,
I wonder now, back in mid 07 when the campaign was in shambles most of McCain's team took a hike, they got out. The stink at the time was that they were spoiled brats who were leaving McCain in the learch because he looked like a loser. But did they get out because they realized after seeing McCain up close that he was not fit for president because of his age, and wanted no part in trying to convince america that he is the right guy???

I always felt odd about them jumping, almost all of them, so fast, It did not feel right. Never had an answer for what was odd....recent events make me want someone to go back and investigate that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:19 pm
I believe McCain is in the first stage of Alzheimer's Disease. He's senile and forgetful; that he would pick an unknown woman without any national and international experience should warn us that McCain's brain is going downhill quickly.
hawkeye10

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
alarming also in that Cindy, a person who never wanted to have anything to do with his political life, is now so active.... just as Nancy was when Ron needed her assistance to cover his deterioration. For some things only the spouse can be trusted.

I tell you what CI, I am almost sold on your theory.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 03:37 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin employed a lobbying firm to secure almost $27 million in federal earmarks for a town of 6,700 residents while she was its mayor, according to an analysis by an independent government watchdog group.

There was $500,000 for a youth shelter, $1.9 million for a transportation hub, $900,000 for sewer repairs, and $15 million for a rail project -- all intended to benefit Palin's town, Wasilla, located about 45 miles north of Anchorage.

In introducing Palin as his running mate on Friday, Sen. John McCain cast her as a compatriot in his battle against wasteful federal spending. McCain, the Republican presidential candidate, hailed Palin as a politician "with an outstanding reputation for standing up to special interests and entrenched bureaucracies -- someone who has fought against corruption and the failed policies of the past, someone who's stopped government from wasting taxpayers' money."

McCain's crusade against earmarks -- federal spending sought by members of Congress to benefit specific projects -- has been a hallmark of his campaign. He has said earmarks are wasteful and are often inserted into bills with little oversight, sometimes by a single powerful lawmaker.

Palin has also railed against earmarks, touting her opposition to a $223 million bridge in the state as a prime credential for the vice presidential nomination. "As governor, I've stood up to the old politics-as-usual, to the special interests, to the lobbyists, the big oil companies, and the good-ol'-boy network," she said Friday.

Washington Post, 02.09.08, pages A1 and A26 - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/01/AR2008090103148.html?hpid%3Dtopnews&sub=AR

http://i33.tinypic.com/255j9y8.jpg
via Washington Post, 02.09.2008, page A26
farmerman

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:44 am
THINK succession. Would you want her as president? McCain has lost my vote. I figured hed shore up his creeping senility issue by nominating a strongVP. Instead, he goes for some purely symbolic choice , and one who has a lot of questionable ethical issues surrounding her.

Nice going John. Wheel him into the day room.
DrewDad

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 06:02 am
@okie,
okie wrote:
Another thing they are going nuts over, abstinence. Last I checked, if you don't do it, you won't get pregnant 99.999999% of the time. Abstinence is apparently another cardinal sin to suggest such a thing to children.

The results are pretty much in, though, that teaching abstinence doesn't actually get anyone to perform abstinence. The kids that'll would have had sex still go out and have sex, even if they've promised not to do so. And then they get pregnant and spread STDs, because they don't know about how to practice safe sex.

I'd be all for abstinence programs if they actually worked.

(When people say that abstinence doesn't work, you see, they're not really talking about whether not having sex keeps you from getting pregnant. They're talking about whether telling someone not to have sex keeps them from getting pregnant. Obviously, it does not.)
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 06:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Looks to me like she did a good job as Mayor as well as Governor. Which one of these "spending" plans do you feel are wasteful?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 06:05 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

THINK succession. Would you want her as president? McCain has lost my vote. I figured hed shore up his creeping senility issue by nominating a strongVP. Instead, he goes for some purely symbolic choice , and one who has a lot of questionable ethical issues surrounding her.

More than being purely symbolic, she appears to be purely reactionary as well.

Most Republican politicians pay lip service to the rabid social conservatives, but she appears to be a True Believer.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 06:06 am
@farmerman,
She is no less qualified than Obama. As a matter of fact, she has MORE Executive Experience than both Obama and Biden.

What ethical issues are surrounding her?
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 06:06 am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080902/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin
sozobe

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 06:47 am
@Lash,
Again, of course they would say that. It might be true, it might not be, but the fact that they say it doesn't convince me in and of itself.

There's a lot of circumstantial evidence that indicates to me that they did a slapdash vetting job.

I posted this before -- good summary of why there is reason for skepticism, with links.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/212192.php