mysteryman

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 04:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That kind of puts to rest the charge the Sarah Palin faked her pregnancy, doesnt it?
old europe

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 04:56 pm
@mysteryman,
That's true. Instead of rumours that Palin covered up an out of wedlock pregnancy of her underage daughter, we now have actual news that her underage daughter is pregnant out of wedlock...
Cycloptichorn

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:06 pm
@mysteryman,
Yup, though I hardly think that this situation is any better for her or the Republicans in general.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:15 pm
@firefly,
You gotta admit that the scheme works....right wing crack pots can push their social theories on sex but we can't talk about individual results because it is a "private matter" and we can't fund social science to study the general results because government is not to meddle in private affairs. Any stupid idea will sound legit if looking at the results is off limits. And the moderates and the left are too afraid to speak up and question this ideological fraud, just listen to Obama today talk about how nobody should be talking about Palins family situation. Democrats don't get anywhere ever because the don't have enough faith in their convictions to act. Obama can stand on stage and yell "ENOUGH!" but his actions don't match his words,. On the floor he is just another in a long line of Democrats who can't get the job done (the job being leading the people towards a better future than where we are headed).
0 Replies

squinney

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:23 pm
Listening to talk radio on the way home a bit ago they said in one of the debates prior to becoming governor Palin was asked about if her daughter became pregnant and the reply from Palin was that she wouldn't have a choice but to keep the baby.

Anyone else hear this or know if it is true?

If so, there goes the press release today that it was Bristols choice. And, if it was her choice, why do Palin and other Republicans not want anyone else to have a choice?
squinney

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:28 pm
@squinney,
Ah, found one source, but would like another...

http://www.now.org/press/08-08/08-29.html
sozobe

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:59 pm
The latest from TPM -- links embedded in original so I encourage you to click if you want the fuller story:

Josh Marshall wrote:
Face It: They Didn't Vet Her

Earlier I noted Andrea Mitchell's reference to reports that the McCain camp had just sent a team of GOP lawyers up to Alaska to do what I guess you'd call a post-vetting of Sarah Palin. Now George Stephanopoulos appears to have more. George says the McCainers are sending a "rapid response team of about ten operatives that includes lawyers" to do the aforementioned deeper vet. A lot of attention is being given to Gov. Palin's daughter's situation. The much bigger deal is the expanding trooper-gate investigation, the fact that Palin lied in her Friday speech about her purported opposition to the Bridge to Nowhere, her apparent former membership in the secessionist Alaska Independence Party, and more. Individually, you can come to your own judgment about how consequential these stories are. What they show pretty clearly now -- in addition to the news that the McCain campaign is only now sending in a vetting team -- is that John McCain didn't do any serious vetting of Palin before he invited her to join his ticket and, he hopes, become Vice President of the United States.

Fundamentally, of course, this is about John McCain. And the real issue here is what this slapdash decision says about his judgment.

(Emphasis mine)

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/212192.php
0 Replies

firefly

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 06:09 pm
@squinney,
Apparently, Palin's pregnant daughter attends a school which is considered a "drop-out factory".

I wonder if the school has daycare services available for students who become pregnant and have children?

I can't imagine living in a place that is so sparcely populated that the governor can ask kids who are thinking of dropping out of school to call her.

But I also can't believe that the solution to a very high high school drop out rate is to have a chat with Palin. How does Palin address the social and educational problems in these schools that affects the drop out rate?

The more I learn about Palin and her "executive experience", the worse it sounds.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Palin reaches out to possible high school drop-outs

Governor wants Alaska students to call her first

ANCHORAGE - Gov. Sarah Palin is reaching out to any Alaska high school student thinking about dropping out. The governor wants those students to call her and talk about their options first.
The offer comes in reaction to a recent study that labeled seven Alaska high schools "dropout factories."

"I'd remind the kids that no matter where they are in life - (maybe) in circumstances that probably aren't ideal - that there is no circumstance that they're in that is insurmountable or would necessitate them just giving up," Palin said.

Among the schools given the dubious distinction were the high schools from which the governor, her son and her husband have graduated - Wasilla High and Dillingham High.

Palin's 16-year-old daughter, Bristol, is a junior at Wasilla.

"Every little bit is going to help," Loren Berkoski, the acting superintendent in Dillingham, said in reaction to the governor's offer.

The Johns Hopkins study was based on tracking senior classes for three years in a row - 2004, 2005 and 2006. The "dropout factory" designation went to the schools where 60 percent or less of the students who started as freshmen advanced to their senior year.

Alaska school administrators pointed out it did not take into account students who transferred to other schools during those years.

The governor is encouraging any student around the state who is thinking about quitting to call her first.

"I would also speak to them about the practical solutions out there. There is so much to be gained, of course, by staying in school. But we do have to speak to the kids about the different practical choices that we have," she said Friday. "We are very blessed in Alaska to have so many options for a student who may not be fitting into the conventional, traditional school setting. We have the voc-tech schools, the different career centers."

Of the seven high schools given the label, three are in Fairbanks: Ben Eielson, Lathrop and North Pole. The others were: Bethel Regional, Barrow, Dillingham and Wasilla.

0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 06:59 pm
@old europe,
Which means nothing.

If Palin chooses to live by certain values (religion and so forth); that does not automatically mean the kids are forced to. Bristol can choose not to believe and have as much underage sex as she wants. Palin is not being hypocritical because of what her daughter chooses what values to live by
hawkeye10

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:10 pm
@maporsche,
and here I have been arguing for teen rights for months, ALL MY MYSELF....., welcome to the team.
0 Replies

firefly

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:21 pm
@maporsche,
I don't doubt that Bristol may share her mother's views about abortion.

But I really wonder how much real choice Bristol's boyfriend (or even Bristol herself) may have about being pushed into a marriage. Particularly in light of the media spotlight on them right now, and the pressures on Bristol's mother, it is hard to imagine that this young couple is really free to decide not to marry.

Teenage pregnancy is difficult enough for the very young parents involved, but is a hasty or premature marriage, in such a situation, really a solution to anything? Why should anyone be really happy about an impending marriage for this couple, or for any couple in similar circumstances? Shouldn't the bride (and possibly the groom) at least graduate high school before wedding plans are even thought of?
hawkeye10

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:28 pm
@firefly,
thanks to MOM I am sure that she had no choice on getting contraception, no choice on abortion, no choice on marriage......she is not in a whole lot better situation than girls who are pushed into forced marriage by their families, but one is very very wrong and the other is peach keen. Gotta love it, this double standard.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:35 pm
Talk about hypocrites, I just heard a republican say that trying to make hay of a family matter (re: Palin's daughter's pregnancy) is not acceptable. LOL What did those republicans try to do with Bill Clinton's "private" matter? Sex between consenting adults.
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:40 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Palin is not being hypocritical because of what her daughter chooses what values to live by

Yes, that's true. I haven't said that she was necessarily hypocritical. Just because Palin herself chooses to live by certain standards, that does not mean that her daughter would (have to) adhere to the same standards.

I think what people are wondering about is what standards Palin advocates for other people. Should abstinence-only be taught at school, for example. Should birth control be available to underage girls. Should birth control be covered by health insurance plans.

But, most important: should abortions be illegal? Should women have the option to chose, or should they be forced to have the child (maybe even in the case of rape or incest, as the nutty religious right has been advocating)?

So, if she is pro-choice, and she allowed her daughter to decide, by herself, whether or not to keep the baby: not hypocritical.

If she's strictly pro-life, and she forced her daughter to have the baby, no matter what: not hypocritical.

But if she advocates a policy that would force other people (and that would obviously include other parents, and other underage daughters) to have a baby when pregnant, while allowing her own daughter to choose freely.... yes, that could possibly be seen as hypocritical.

And there may be more scenarios, for sure...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 08:15 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Teenage pregnancy is difficult enough for the very young parents involved, but is a hasty or premature marriage, in such a situation, really a solution to anything?

Marriage is never the solution.
parados

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 08:21 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

Marriage is never the solution.

What do you mean?

Marriage works better than "abstinence only programs" when it comes to stopping sex.
JTT

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 08:51 pm
@parados,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

okie

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:02 pm
@mysteryman,
Sheesh, last night when I was surfing the web, the leftists thought they had Palin dead to right, that she was never pregnant, she faked the pregnancy, that her daughter had the baby. Further, they had it all figured out that Palin flew back to Alaska to have her baby, and it was just impossible. I even saw speculation it was Bristol's dad's baby as well. Daily Kos was going nuts, the big news was going to hit Wednesday, to destroy the Republican Party. I had to admit it worried me. Bristol had reportedly been out of school with mononucleosis.

So I come onto the computer this evening to see whats up, I guess that rumor has blown over, that Palin was obviously pregnant, she had the baby alright, but now Bristol is pregnant, and the libs are going nuts about that. They are also going nuts about her stand against abortion, and the news is carryings stories how this differs from McCain, as if this is the biggest news since World War II started.

The libs, and the feminist movement apparently hates Palin. Among the things that I have learned so far, that fact stands out the most. And some people are just aghast that somebody could actually believe God might have had something to do with this creation, as if that is the worst thing that anyone could ever think, and that actually someone is against abortion, that is a cardinal sin in the liberal play book. Amazing.

Another thing they are going nuts over, abstinence. Last I checked, if you don't do it, you won't get pregnant 99.999999% of the time. Abstinence is apparently another cardinal sin to suggest such a thing to children.
JTT

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:34 pm
@okie,
Quote:

Another thing they are going nuts over, abstinence. Last I checked, if you don't do it, you won't get pregnant 99.999999% of the time. Abstinence is apparently another cardinal sin to suggest such a thing to children.

No, it's the stupendously idiotic idea of conservatives that abstinence is the only way to go. Basic common sense tells anyone with a functioning brain that while it's one option, it isn't a cure-all.

Note, Bristol is pregnant. What do you think the Palin's counseled their daughter with, the various manner of birth control.
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:34 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
Sheesh, last night when I was surfing the web, the leftists thought they had Palin dead to right

And apparently, they were wrong. Which just shows you what an unknown Palin really is. What else will come up? What else has she not told the public about? What else has not been known to the McCain campaign? What is she hiding? Face it, okie: she is a big question mark.

Laughing