sozobe

2  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:38 am
@maporsche,
Agreed.

This is what you were responding to:

Lash wrote:
Hillary's agenda and Palin's are so disparate, I can't see how anyone would easily go from one to the other....unless it's because of sex...which would be brainless to me.

She was talking about the silliness of Hillary supporters becoming McCain supporters BECAUSE of Palin... which isn't the case for you.

By the way, I think the attempt too woo Hillary voters is both silly and real -- I think that's a big part of what McCain was trying to do (and that it won't work).
sozobe

2  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:39 am
@Lash,
He did? Interesting. Source? (Sorry if I missed it.)
sozobe

1  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:39 am
@sozobe,
Damn clusters.

maporsche

1  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:41 am
@sozobe,
Well then I need to stop reading so fast......

sorry for the diversion.

Lash

3  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:41 am
@sozobe,
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/palin-confirms-daughters-pregnancy-915378.html
sozobe

1  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:46 am
@Lash,
OK, thanks.

They would say that of course, even if it were not true -- to admit they didn't know about it would be a pretty big blow to their credibility. Maybe true though.

As-is, still a blow to McCain's judgment though I think, as I have to agree with Cycloptichorn that it will have an affect -- maybe not huge, but not nothing either. Palin will be judged for her parenting skills in raising a daughter who gets pregnant at 17, out of wedlock, by exactly the people who are supposed to be most jazzed by the pick. (Again, in case it needs clarification, I am here speculating what evangelicals might think, not broadcasting my own opinion. I don't care about it in and of itself.)

This is sure a roller-coaster. Interested in getting a more complete picture from polls in the next week or two.
maporsche

1  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:47 am
@Lash,
Ok....how long after you have a baby can you have another baby?

Maybe Bristol is only 3 months pregnant, and the last pregnancy was faked.

Or maybe Palin faked a pregnancy with her husband's mistress.

Or maybe Palin was impregnanted by aliens? God? Could Trig be the 2nd coming of Jesus?

******* pathetic.

Lash

5  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:52 am
@sozobe,
Wow. That just seems so freaking anti-woman, Soz. How in the world does a pregnant child affect a woman's ability to be the Veep? Have there been dads of pregnant daughters as Veep...or President? I just hate that line of thought. I don't think the Evangelicals are quite THIS archaic. We'll see, though.
eoe

1  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:16 am
@Lash,
Boy oh boy, will we ever.

hawkeye10

2  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:22 am
@Lash,
I think it goes in another direction, that her daughter not using birth control and getting preg because she has been ill taught at home reminds us of the intolerant idiocy of GWB, which most people are sick of. This event make it ever more unlikely that having a woman on the ticket will work to attract moderates, as few moderates want to have as VP the female version of Bush, and this reminds them that while Palin in social situations seems to be normal, in reality she is not.
Cycloptichorn

1  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:23 am
Chris Bowers asks,

So, who is like Britney now, McCain?

Cycloptichorn

sozobe

1  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:24 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Wow. That just seems so freaking anti-woman, Soz.

I agree completely! This one of the things I don't like about the group in question. The ones who are against an abortion even in the case of rape or incest, the ones who think a woman's place is in the home, the ones who don't think there should be female priests...

I'm not extending this dislike to all religious people, at all -- but this group, the one that's jazzed by Palin's opposition to an abortion even in the case of rape or incest -- yeah, they tend towards anti-woman, I think. Variations in any large group of course.

eoe

2  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:25 am
@hawkeye10,
If Brittney Spears' mother not only lost a book contract but was bombarded with public ridicule over her teen-aged daughters' pregnancy, Palin/McCain are going to catch hell. And I don't care what they say. No way would McCain have taken on such a big, fat headache. Unless he's just a sucker for punishment.
geez...
Cycloptichorn

2  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:32 am
@eoe,
From the morning before the Republican pick, an honest assessment from Joe Scarborough of Palin's abilities -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTbsbeY5k5k

Can anyone tell me how to embed youtube videos? 'cause I'm going to start doing a lot of that.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

2  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:38 am
@Cycloptichorn,
"youtube" tags.

Quote my post to see what it looks like...

Cycloptichorn

1  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:39 am
@sozobe,
Holy ****, that's convenient!

Thanks

Cycloptichorn

eoe

2  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:39 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Nice try that the news of her pregnant daughter should be released today, while the country is 1, on holiday and 2, caught up in hurricane Gustav.
But, there's always tomorrow.
Who knows what will come out tomorrow?
hawkeye10

1  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:45 am
@eoe,
I should think it will be more on her abuse of power during the very short time she has been gov of less than 700,000 people.....that is another warning that Palin is bush with a vagina...

joefromchicago

1  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:53 am
Meh, so Palin's daughter is knocked up. Big deal. Candidates' kids are allowed to be screw-ups. GWB's daughters are certainly not the models of propriety. Hell, Laura Bush killed a guy and that didn't affect her husband's political career.

And it's not like the GOP is going to disown Palin because of this. Remember, IOKIYAR -- "it's OK if you're a Republican." Moral lapses that would be inexcusable for a Democrat are readily excused when committed by a Republican. We're only moments away from some conservative commentator like Charles Krauthammer or Bill Kristol saying that Palin is a shining example for all of America because she didn't urge her daughter to get an abortion. On the other hand, if Sasha Obama steals somebody's crayon at school, you can be sure there will be hell to pay.
Cycloptichorn

3  
Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:59 am
@joefromchicago,
True. I think this will be damaging to McCain in a variety of ways, however -

Now today comes the news that Palin's 17-year-old daughter, Bristol, is pregnant. In the news release, the McCain campaign made sure to state that:

Bristol Palin made the decision on her own to keep the baby, McCain aides said.

While it's obvious why they made this statement to assure the public that Bristol was not coerced into keeping the baby (after all, she does have a parent who is a staunch opponent of the right to choose and is currently on the Republican presidential ticket), as my significant other pointed out, there's some serious hypocrisy at play here. I mean, John McCain and Sarah Palin don't believe women have a right to choose. It's absolutely absurd for the campaign to emphasize the fact that Bristol "made this decision," and then push for policies that take away that choice.

http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/tapped_archive?month=09&year=2008&base_name=palin_and_the_meaning_of_choic

They certainly will have a hard time pushing abstinence-only sex ed in the wake of this.

I just don't understand what kind of mother would subject her daughter to this. They had to have known it would come out; and now her daughter's life is going to be wrecked by the media, we all know they are going to go nuts over this story. Amazing hubris on the part of McCain and Palin, and once again another lie that Palin has been caught in - an understandable one, but a lie nonetheless.

Cycloptichorn