sozobe

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 12:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
Blech.

Let me just say again that I think ANY of this is extremely unlikely, it's just that I've gone from "absolutely not, stupid rumor, not worth thinking about," to "maybe." But I think IF it's true, it's probably just teenaged romance gone wrong, and that kind of speculation (that Todd Palin might be the father) is too much, IMO. IF. IF. IF.
hawkeye10

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 01:00 pm
@sozobe,
but if you think that this question rates more investigation by the people before we decide who will serve us then we are in agreement. I think we must know the truth about who this family is, it is very relevant to making a determination on who this woman who wants to be our VP is.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 01:30 pm
Quote:
Sarah Palin Pregnancy Debate
Posted on 30 August 2008 by Kevin

Not to be left out of the buzz and noise surrounding our Governor’s so-called conspiracy pregnancy, I thought I would chime in. When we travelled to Juneau this February, we fully intended to take a hike to Mendenhall Glacier, then do some urban hiking (walking) around downtown Juneau. Sadly, the weather was crap and the snow leading to the glacier was nearly impassable. Anyway, on to the point…

When we met Sarah at her house to begin the video shoot, she was in a rush but extremely polite and willing to work with us. We staged the coffee delivery just for fun and totally pre-planned the hike to her office. Regarding her pregnancy, all I can say is that it was not obvious to the three of us who were there during the filming. At this time she would be somewhere in her 7th month of pregnancy, which could be hidden with clever clothing, jackets, etc. Remember, it was February in Alaska.

It’s been interesting to read all the theories, conclusions and conspiracy talk about Sarah and her daughter being involved in some pregnancy cover up. While I can’t confirm or deny any of that, there are a few things I would like to make clear:

Sarah did not drink much of the caramel latte we brought her, which if I recall was decaffeinated.
In the video, she talks of “thrashing her legs and guts”. Clearly this is what she likes to do in the summer months, not while she is 7 months pregnant!
Sarah is a very gracious host and was sincere in all her comments both on and off camera.
It’s almost humorous how the rumors grow exponentially and overnight. As for me and for the rest of us who visited Sarah back in February - I’m fairly certain we can say that we had no idea she was pregnant, nor do we think there is some huge scandalous cover up taking place.

All of that aside, we hope you enjoy(ed) the Alaska HDTV Hike of the Week with Sarah Palin!
http://alaskapodshow.com/index.php/2008/08/30/sarah-palin-pregnancy-scandal/
video of Palin when she claims she was 7 months along
http://alaskapodshow.com/index.php/2008/02/20/my-visit-to-juneau-alaska/
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 03:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
are you sure about that???

no.not in the least. just specalatin' that incest very often causes bad stuff for the child produced from it.

and no, i would have to see some pretty riveting evidence that incest was there to believe it.

if the child is in fact not s.p.'s, but the daughter's; the thing that would bother me is that someone who is staunchly pro-life to the point of insisting that every woman who becomes pregnant carries the pregnancy to term is so embarassed by her daughter doing just that tries to cover it up with a big lying lie.

but ya know what really bugs me?

nobody got my grizzley bear joke. Sad
dlowan

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 08:31 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
So...how much of the political debate in the US has this accusation taken over?

hawkeye10

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 08:38 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
the plot thickens:
Quote:
Dad's Age Raises Down Syndrome Risk, Too
Combined Effect of Older Mothers and Fathers Increases Baby's Risk
By Jennifer Warner
WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MDJuly 1, 2003 -- Older fathers may contribute just as much as older mothers to the dramatic increase in Down syndrome risk faced by babies born to older couples. A new study found that older fathers were responsible for up to 50% of the rise in Down syndrome risk when the mother was also over 40.

http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/news/20030701/dad-age-down-syndrome
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 09:54 pm
Hard to think that this is a credible message coming from a 26-year veteran of Washington.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Rockhead

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 09:58 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
I found it tickling...
nimh

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:51 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Nobody with any sense thinks McC was trying to get Hillary's women. More egocentric groupthink from Dems.

Rrright... that must be why the McCain campaign went out of its way to make ads praising Hillary and damning the Obama ticket for not paying her enough respect last week ...

"Nobody with any sense" thinks they're targeting Hillary's women? Overstating things much?
Lash

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:25 am
@nimh,
They were definitely trying to drive a wedge in the party between the Hillary-ites and Obamans. Picking Palin was to solidify the base...who on earth thinks a large bloc of angry feminist women would happily move from Hillary to super conservative Palin? There may be a few light-weight, brainless types who might migrate, but the bulk of Hillary supporters actually care about issues--and would never vote because of a vagina. You still pay credence to pick up the light-weights. No "bloc movement," though. Can't blame them for trying to pick up stragglers...
dlowan

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:37 am
@nimh,
Nimh....do you think there's any evidence they're succeeding in GETTING any of "Hillary's women"?
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:20 am
@Lash,
I'm sorry.....but is it not possible that there are people out there that are not in lockstep with one of the two major parties?

Does someone have to be "brainless" to switch from being a Clinton supporter to being a McCain supporter (Palin or not)?
joefromchicago

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:42 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Does someone have to be "brainless" to switch from being a Clinton supporter to being a McCain supporter (Palin or not)?

It doesn't hurt.
maporsche

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 06:02 am
@joefromchicago,
Thanks Joe.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:06 am
Meanwhile, the rumor seems to be debunked here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30076181@N02/2814199887/

Five day's before Trig's birth:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2814199887_67e84850f4.jpg
maporsche

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:07 am
@sozobe,
Glad we wasted so much time/energy on that......... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:32 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Palin flip-flopped on 'Bridge to Nowhere' funds
By Tom Kizza | Anchorage Daily News
8/31/08

When John McCain introduced Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate Friday, her reputation as a tough-minded budget-cutter was front and center.

"I told Congress, thanks but no thanks on that bridge to nowhere," Palin told the cheering McCain crowd, referring to Ketchikan's Gravina Island bridge.

But Palin was for the Bridge to Nowhere before she was against it.

The Alaska governor campaigned in 2006 on a build-the-bridge platform, telling Ketchikan residents she felt their pain when politicians called them "nowhere." They're still feeling pain today in Ketchikan, over Palin's subsequent decision to use the bridge funds for other projects -- and over the timing of her announcement, which they say came in a pre-dawn press release that seemed aimed at national news deadlines.

"I think that's when the campaign for national office began," said Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Weinstein noted, the state is continuing to build a road on Gravina Island to an empty beach where the bridge would have gone -- because federal money for the access road, unlike the bridge money, would have otherwise been returned to the federal government.

It's a more complicated picture than the one drawn by McCain, a persistent critic of special-interest spending and congressional earmarks. He described Palin as "someone who's stopped government from wasting taxpayers' money on things they don't want or need."

McCain also claimed to have found, in Palin, "someone with an outstanding reputation for standing up to special interests and entrenched bureaucracies" and "someone who has fought against corruption and the failed policies of the past" and "someone who has reached across the aisle and asked Republicans, Democrats and independents to serve in government." On those scores, Palin can fairly claim credit, according to Alaska political leaders and others who have followed her career here.

She did fight corruption as a whistle-blower, even before an FBI investigation burst into public view. She also stood up to "party bosses," as McCain claimed, running against Republican incumbents as an outsider -- though she has yet to unseat her nemesis, Randy Ruedrich, as state party chairman.

Palin told the crowd she had signed a major ethics law -- an appropriately modest claim, because although she pushed for the ethics changes, the main impetus had come from state legislators, especially minority Democrats.

COST-CUTTING CONSERVATIVE?

The trickiest defense of Palin in the national spotlight involves her reputation as a budget-cutting fiscal conservative.

Part of that reputation comes from her political rhetoric, beginning with her years as mayor of Wasilla. But while Palin made controversial cuts at the local museum in Wasilla and battled library expansion, she oversaw a fast-growing town with a fast-growing budget to match.

As with much of Palin's sun-kissed career, her timing was ideal: She was able to cut property taxes by three-fourths because sales tax revenues from the city's new big-box stores were soaring. She even pushed for a sales tax increase to build a pet project, a new sports complex for ice hockey.

Similarly, as governor, she has presided over a state flooded with new oil revenues, brought by high oil prices and a new tax regime she pushed over industry objections. She vetoed $268 million in state capital projects this year, but her cuts came out of an unusually swollen capital budget.

"It would be hard not to appear conservative with the huge budget approved by the majority," said Rep. Beth Kerttula, D-Juneau, the House minority leader.

Palin and the Legislature both were criticized by some conservatives for not making more effort to slow growth in the state's operating budget.

At the same time, Palin deserves credit for trying to impose some objective criteria on the capital budget, which is essentially a huge exercise in earmarking by individual legislators, said Sen. Fred Dyson, R-Eagle River.

"I thought she showed some guts in doing that and really irritated some folks," said Dyson, adding that he disagreed with some of her decisions.

BRIDGE TO NOWHERE

But it is the federally funded Bridge to Nowhere in Ketchikan that seems destined to make or break Palin's national reputation as a cost-cutting conservative.

The bridge was intended to provide access to Ketchikan's airport on lightly populated Gravina Island, opening up new territory for expansion at the same time. Alaska's congressional delegation endured withering criticism for earmarking $223 million for Ketchikan and a similar amount for a crossing of Knik Arm at Anchorage.

Congress eventually removed the earmark language but the money still went to Alaska, leaving it up to the administration of then-Gov. Frank Murkowski to decide whether to go ahead with the bridges or spend the money on something else.

In September, 2006, Palin showed up in Ketchikan on her gubernatorial campaign and said the bridge was essential for the town's prosperity.

She said she could feel the town's pain at being derided as a "nowhere" by prominent politicians, noting that her home town, Wasilla, had recently been insulted by the state Senate president, Ben Stevens.

"OK, you've got Valley trash standing here in the middle of nowhere," Palin said, according to an account in the Ketchikan Daily News. "I think we're going to make a good team as we progress that bridge project."

One year later, Ketchikan's Republican leaders said they were blindsided by Palin's decision to pull the plug.

Palin spokeswoman Sharon Leighow said Saturday that as projected costs for the Ketchikan bridge rose to nearly $400 million, administration officials were telling Ketchikan that the project looked less likely. Local leaders shouldn't have been surprised when Palin announced she was turning to less-costly alternatives, Leighow said. Indeed, Leighow produced a report quoting Palin, late in the governor's race, indicating she would also consider alternatives to a bridge.

CHANGE OF VIEW

Andrew Halcro, who ran against Palin in 2006, told The Associated Press on Saturday that Palin changed her views after she was elected to make a national splash.

Mayor Weinstein said many residents remain irked by Palin's failure to come to Ketchikan since that time to defend her decision -- despite promises that she would.

Weinstein may be especially sore -- he helped run the local campaign of Palin's 2006 Democratic rival, Tony Knowles. But comments this week from area Republicans show bitterness there too.

Bert Stedman, a Sitka Republican who represents Ketchikan in the state Senate, told the Ketchikan Daily News he was proud to see Palin picked for the vice-president's role, but disheartened by her reference to the bridge.

"In the role of governor, she should be pursuing a transportation policy that benefits the state of Alaska, (rather than) pandering to the southern 48," he said.

Businessman Mike Elerding, who helped run Palin's local campaign for governor, told the paper he would have a hard time voting for the McCain ticket because of Palin's subsequent neglect of Ketchikan and her flip-flop on the "Ralph Bartholomew Veterans Memorial Bridge."

TIMING OF PRESS RELEASE

Palin's 2007 press release announcing her change of course came just a month after McCain himself slammed the Ketchikan bridge for taking money that could have been used to shore up dangerous bridges like one that collapsed in Minnesota.

Leighow said she had no record of what time she sent out the press release, but does not recall being told to send it out early for East Coast media.

Once Palin spiked the bridge project, the money wasn't available to Minnesota or other states, however. Congress, chastened by criticism of the Alaska funding, had removed the earmark but allowed the state to keep the money and direct it to other transportation projects.

Enhanced ferry access to Gravina Island is one option under consideration, the state said.

Meanwhile, work is under way on a three-mile road on Gravina Island, originally meant to connect the airport and the new bridge. State officials said last year they were going ahead with the $25 million road because the money would otherwise have to be returned to the federal government.

Leighow said the road project was already under way last year when Palin stopped the bridge, and she noted that it would provide benefits of opening up new territory for development -- one of the original arguments made for the bridge spending.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:34 am
Bad news for McCain.

Quote:
Undecideds Don't Like The Palin Pick

30 Aug 2008 08:34 pm

The headlines are about the broad polling reaction to Palin. But the most fascinating part of the first Rasmussen poll on the matter is how those who are currently undecided in the election feel. They, after all, are the votes both campaigns are trying to win over with their veep picks. The key data is in the cross-tabs, which have been missed in some of the coverage so far.

On the critical question, "With Palin As Vice-Presidential Nominee, Are You More Or Less Likely To Vote For McCain," there's a striking result. Among those already for McCain, 68 percent say it makes them more likely to vote for him; only 6 percent say less; and 23 percent said no impact. Among those already for Obama, Palin made only 9 percent of them more likely to switch to McCain, 59 percent less likely, and 30 percent said it would make no difference.

But among the critical undecideds, the Palin pick made only 6 percent more likely to vote for McCain; and it made 31 percent less likely to vote for him. 49 percent said it would have no impact, and 15 percent remained unsure. More to the point: among undecideds, 59 percent said Palin was unready to be president. Only 6 percent said she was. If the first criterion for any job is whether you're ready for it, this is a pretty major indictment of the first act of McCain's presidential leadership.

One other striking finding. If McCain thought he could present Palin as a moderate, he was wrong. A whopping 69 percent view her as conservative (37 percent as very conservative), and only 13 percent see her as moderate.

From this first snap-shot (and unsettled) impression, Palin has helped McCain among Republicans, left Democrats unfazed, but moved the undecideds against him quite sharply. I totally understand why.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/08/undecideds-dont.html

Well hell, those aren't good numbers.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:35 am
@Cycloptichorn,
More bad news for McCain.

Quote:
Another week, another Frank Luntz/AARP focus group of undecided voters--this one in Minneapolis and with some bad news for John McCain: they don't like the choice of Sarah Palin for vice president. Only one person said Palin made him more likely to vote for McCain; about half the 25-member group raised their hands when asked if Palin made them less likely to vote for McCain. They had a negative impression of Palin by a 2-1 margin...a fact that was reinforced when they were given hand-dials and asked to react to Palin's speech at her first appearance with McCain on Friday---the dials remained totally neutral as Palin went through her heart-warming(?) biography, and only blipped upwards when she said she opposed the Bridge to Nowhere--which wasn't quite the truth, as we now know.

Then there was this, from a woman named Teresa, who went to the Democratic Convention as a Hillary delegate and is leaning toward voting for McCain--obviously the target audience for the Palin pick: "His age didn't really bother me until he picked Palin. What if he dies in office and leaves us with her as President? Also she leans toward the rigid right, and I always thought he was a moderate...You know, I change my mind almost every day, but right now I"m wondering where the John McCain I really liked in 2000 went, what happened to the moderate? This John McCain has the look of someone who is being manipulated--probably by Karl Rove."

Teresa still wasn't willing to vote for Obama, whom she considers too inexperienced, but she was clearly wavering. Afterwards Luntz, good Republican that he is, made the case that Palin could win all these people back with a good convention speech, but that seemed far-fetched to me. They really saw this pick as a gimmick--and one that reflected badly on John McCain's judgment.

Cycloptichorn

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:12 am
Oh, you've gotta be ******* kidding me.

Quote:
Bristol Palin pregnant -- right now
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 11:58 AM by Mark Murray
Filed Under: 2008, Palin

From NBC's Mark Murray
Reuters: "The 17-year-old daughter of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin is pregnant, Palin said Monday in an announcement intended to knock down rumors by liberal bloggers that Palin faked her own pregnancy to cover up for her child.

Bristol Palin, one of Alaska Gov. Palin's five children with her husband, Todd, is about five months pregnant and is going to keep the child and marry the father, the Palins said in a statement released by the campaign of Republican presidential candidate John McCain.

Bristol Palin made the decision on her own to keep the baby, McCain aides said. 'We have been blessed with five wonderful children who we love with all our heart and mean everything to us,' the Palins' statement said. 'Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support,' the Palins said."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/01/1318541.aspx#comments

We're just straying into the absurd at this point.

I wonder how all those social conservatives who love Palin so much are going to feel about her approval of premarital, underage sex?

lol

What was McCain thinking!?!?!!!

Cycloptichorn