The 2008 Democrat Convention

Miller

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:17 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

I wonder if Cindy will talk about how she met John when he was still married.

Lucky Cindy! $100 million and married to a hero...
cjhsa

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:17 am
@parados,
No need, as a life NRA member, it's taken care of. I put my money where my mouth is.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:18 am
@parados,
Please see craven's "How will you die" thread.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:20 am
@old europe,
The fact that McCain invited Obama to debate him in several town hall meetings and that Obama ran and hid from these debates baffles you and other liberaltards.

0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:21 am
@nicole415,
Hello Roxxxanne...goodbye Roxxxanne...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:22 am
Caroline Kennedy appeared very sad last night. She's been through so much in her lifetime and now, her uncle Ted Kennedy is terminal with cancer.

How much more can she endure?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:22 am
@Lash,
So far the convention has been a real yawn.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:23 am
@ebrown p,
I think a strong thread of contrast should be injected into every night, (contrast is criticism and a better way...could be referred to as "attack")) and that the air time is a huge commercial....few non-junkies will watch the whole thing and you want to use the incredible opportunity of air time as a big commercial, smartly laid out to nab voters... so, I disagree, ebrown. But, happy to hear your view. Very glad you're here.

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:24 am
@parados,
To me, this type of thing is like hoping the GOP convention focuses on O's drug use. Not applicable...
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:24 am
@Lash,
Quote:
contrast should be injected into every night

Yeah, but what happened last night?

That was a total waste of air time.
Lash

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:26 am
@Miller,
The video introduction...and her family story was very strong...Lash reaching for Kleenex throught the whole thing. I also thought Michelle's brother characterizing The Basketball Game metaphorical assessment of O was uber cool.
Miller

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:27 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Quote:
contrast should be injected into every night

Yeah, but what happened last night?

That was a total waste of air time.

It was not a waste of time. Instead, it was excellent publicity for the whole Obama family. I enjoyed the whole last hour .
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:28 am
@Lash,
I disagree. Those feel good messages could have been delivered in a much more effective, compact form.

The Dems wasted an entire evening... what were they thinking?
Gargamel

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:30 am
@H2O MAN,
It would have been better hosted by a Water Softener expert--now that's entertainment!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:31 am
The appearance of Obama's half-sister was a real treat .

Little as far as I know, as been revealed about her up till now.

Where did she get such a great voice?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:35 am
@old europe,
Yep, exactly. I really think there is a large contingent that is going to be shocked at how well Obama does in the debates. That's cool.

By the way, the Obama campaign did agree to a town hall debate, just not the slate of 10 or whatever that McCain was calling for. A compromise wasn't reached.

Found this:

Quote:
David Plouffe, the Obama campaign manager, slammed Mr. McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, on Friday for declining to meet Mr. Obama in five joint appearances, which Mr. Plouffe said “would have been the most of any presidential campaign in the modern era.”

The proposal offered by the Obama campaign would have pitted the two candidates against each other at three traditional debates in the fall as well as a town hall meeting on the economy in July and a debate on foreign policy in August.

“It’s disappointing that Senator McCain and his campaign decided to decline this proposal,” Mr. Plouffe said in a statement. “Apparently they would rather contrive a political issue than foster a genuine discussion about the future of our country.”

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/mccain-obama-debate-debate-deals/?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

And one of the scheduled debates is a town-hall style debate:

Quote:
On Oct. 7, the two will meet again for a town-hall style debate at Belmont University. Moderator Tom Brokaw will call on audience members and pose questions submitted through the Internet.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/sns-ap-campaign-debates,0,2345905.story
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:37 am
not to beat a dead horse but Tico, I started reading this thread this morning and have made a bet with myself that you made the catch on Roxxxanne at the same place I did. When "nicole" said "get help". Dead giveaway. Was that where you caught it?

I watched the entire convention last night. I watched wanting it to wow me, particularly Michelle. She did not. Before you jump me .... I thought it was an excellent speech and I thought she delivered it extremely well, and I don't question her intelligence or ability to perform. I also admire her accomplishments...how could I not? But people are comparing this speech to "Ask not what your country can do for you".... folks this was a sales job and a commercial, albeit a DAMN fine one. I'm not putting it or her down..... I'm just not lifting her up to mythical status because of it. The Hillary remarks were very smart., good politics and there's still work to be done there, so props for that. I will add that I think the media needs to back down from the Clinton/Obama wars and quit fanning that fire and it will by and large put itself out. There were just no surprises or "Man, that was great who saw that coming ?" moments IMO.

Nancy Pelosi....horrible.

I think , as I heard many pundits say, tha a few weeks from now the thing people will remember will be the kids and Ted Kennedy. I don't care if you like him or not....he's a man by God.

Overall last night was an energize the faithful success..... but that's about it IMO.

The staging reminded me more of American Idol than an American election btw.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:38 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I really think there is a large contingent that is going to be shocked at how well Obama does in the debates.

I just don't see that happening, but don't give up your dreams.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:46 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I will add that I think the media needs to back down from the Clinton/Obama wars and quit fanning that fire and it will by and large put itself out.

Totally agree.

H2O_Man, I think you'd declare Obama's debate performance lousy even if he puts in a 24-karat performance -- I don't think you're persuadable. Others are, though, and those are the reactions I'm looking forward to.

We'll see.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:49 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

H2O_Man, I think you'd declare Obama's debate performance lousy even if he puts in a 24-karat performance

Not true.

How can anyone including yourself, pre-judge an unknown quantity?