A good cry on the train

littlek

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I see Beth has posted the pictures (I'll get her for that! Why do I look like that?). I haven't given any thought to travel for some time due to budget restrictions. But, perhaps soon I will be able to think that way again......

When you comin to Bahstin?
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:50 pm
@Joe Nation,
I have been sitting and thinking about what songs get me going. I couldn't think of any. I've been single too long.

Joe, do your mourning, live a little and then get back on that horse. When you're single for a long time, you get far too happy with it.
Foxfyre

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 11:58 pm
@littlek,
I think everybody has to write his own song in the end. Garth Brooks caught the dynamics that go with great disappointment and great grief by seeing that we don't lose when we dare to love no matter how it ends:

Refrain from "The Dance". . .

And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance

Yes my life is better left to chance
I could have missed the pain but I'd have had to miss the dance
0 Replies

Izzie

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:16 am
@McTag,
Yep... a little stop over in England a? That would be a bit happy!!!!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:47 am
@devriesj,
devriesj wrote:
Just out of curiosity, Beth, who are the others in the pics?

Frank is lying down with his elbow caressing kickycan's nuts, littlek is in the middle, and dagmaraka is on the right.
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:48 am
@devriesj,
devriesj wrote:
Just out of curiosity, Beth, who are the others in the pics?

Sitting (from left to right): Kickycan, LittleK, Dagmaraka.
Lying: Frank Apisa.
0 Replies

martybarker

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:49 am
Joe,

Still reading along and thinking about you. How's the running?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:15 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Hey Joe

We're close to Ireland, here. Think about a side trip, please.

McT

how about Ireland - london-paris-hague/amsterdam? totally doable, and how fun!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 01:11 pm
Quote:

(in order to accomplish this I am going to have to give up cab rides and Starbucks until Christmas after next...[can you tell I'm working on the budget?}. . Totally worth it.)

I'm moving furniture around today and when I took some books off a shelf, behind them, I found two photographs of my grandparents I thought had been lost and a pencil drawing of the boys from years and years ago. So I have some things to hang in the big blank places on the walls.

All my stuff was crammed into one corner, it is now expanding outward geometrically. I am also the proud new owner of an iron and an ironing board. I still need to buy a big glass bowl (she took the one I used for marinating things.) and I have to re-do the closet (she took the Elfa (sp?) system. Other than that, everything is fine.

I had dinner last night with my oldest and dearest friend at a place near the George Washington Bridge. I took the Weehauken Ferry across and she met me at the terminal and we drove up the mile or so to the restaurant.
The two of us are now officially the oddest couple. We are the best best of friends. Neither is the least bit interested romantically in the other. Don't know why, but we are both glad of it.

We've remained friends now since the Wednesday after Labor Day 1961. (First day of high school) And we have seen each other through, as friends do, heartbreaks and death, lovers leaving and divorces, (I'm way ahead at three divorces, she's only had one and a widowhood.) prom dates and graduation (ours and our kids) and sickness and health. We did talk about L. but mostly the evening was a lot of back and forth about McCain/Palin. (Are they kidding?), the storm headed for Louisiana and her recent trip to New Hampshire.

I walked across the George to get back home, that is such a thrill of noise and heights and lights.

Marty: The running is going well despite, or maybe because of, all this mess. I missed about four days completely but made up for it here and there and actually finished with more miles in August than in July. You can't keep a good man down.

Joe(Besides, I have to catch up to George.)Nation
Eva

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 04:18 pm
@Joe Nation,
Discovering old photos and purchasing new housewares are good, but nothing on earth can beat spending time with an old and trusted friend when the world turns upside down.

I'm so glad to hear about the dinner last night. I feel much better now, sitting here thousands of miles away, knowing you're in good hands.

(((((HUGS)))))

0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:03 pm
sounds like hes feeling better. HAve some fresh squeeze orange juice. It enhnces your transdorfans.
msolga

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:58 pm
@farmerman,
Is that a good thing, farmer? Wink Razz
0 Replies

margo

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:08 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:

and
Quote:
I am going to have to give up cab rides and Starbucks until Christmas after next

Well of course you should give up Starbucks - if you get somewhere where there is real coffee, you won't be able to cope!

Sounds like a fun trip in the possibilities...start planning
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:57 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

sounds like hes feeling better. HAve some fresh squeeze orange juice. It enhnces your transdorfans.

enhances transdorfans? is that a good thing? I know some gay orphans - from my theatre group Gold Dust Orphans...but i'm not sure they should be enhanced. They're wild enough as is, in the best possible way.
McTag

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:20 am

We don't live near London, we live in the bit nearer to Ireland.

Good morning.

How do you find Holland, Dasha? Flat?
dagmaraka

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:22 am
@McTag,
flat, grey, and lonely for now...just like life: nasty, brutish, solitary, and short ...and dark and damp just for added emphasis. but that will surely change.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 03:13 am
Quote:
Discovering old photos and purchasing new housewares are good, but nothing on earth can beat spending time with an old and trusted friend when the world turns upside down.

Too true.
And I fixed the closet door (a miracle, truly) and vacuumed up another two pounds of cat hair (golly, why did I have asthma again?) Some transdorfans came to my door but i decided not to go to their planet.

Two other things: I have been posting some of the pieces about this - uh- relationship on my blog (Window), but walking across the George the other night it occured to me that that might not be the best of ideas in this modern age of cyberspace and litigation, so I took them off. Now I am wondering about posting my thoughts and feelings here. It's a window too.

Wrote L. an email regarding some financial stuff, I was very businesslike and that's the way it's going to be for a while.

===
What a surprise for Dasha. It's flat and gray and dreary and September but that will change as winter approachs. Not the flat or the gray or the dreary part, just the month.

Joe(May your days be merry and bright.)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:53 am
@dagmaraka,
In response to DAg and Msolga, I have no idea whether enhancing ones transdorfans is good but I heard it on CBC and they wouldnt lie would they?

Whenever one is making plans after a significant life change, thats always good. Joe (and I dontr mean to talk around him like hes a patient in a room), has always seemed to me to be a "get er done" kinda guy. He wont sit around eating Hagen Daz and watching "americas Got Talent" . Hes gonna be just fine and is already planning for the next phase in his life.

I think.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:02 am
Posting on a blog has always seemed to be a major test of the concept of privacy.
I believe that NOT POSTING too much is ok with those that like you Joe. You shouldnt have to expose yourself to idiot attacks just because youve reached out. Also, blogs seem to be part of a "First draft" world .I like stuff that reads well. Ive read a few of the science blogs done by colleagues and I feel almost embarrased for many of them. These guys are good scientists but not such good writers.

Written communication is your strong point Joe and if you let us in on a measured amount of info, that'd be just fine with me. I dont need to know all the fine points of "sausage making" or hear about your more emotional abrasions. Id hold much of the nasty stuff back or else youll have stalkers to your home page.

Just a thought.
Farmer (never mind) man
edgarblythe

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:24 am
@farmerman,
Ditto.
0 Replies