if you just need a "job" any job, what the hell do u do?

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 01:10 pm
yeah i need my license, you dont know how many times ive tried to get it..

first attempt "umm sorry sir we cant let you take the test with the engine light on" (i had this huge urge to beat the **** out of him i was so mad i remember i almost took off before he got out of the car, oh god i was seeing red)

i couldnt even say anything to him, i think he got the vibe i was letting off, he looked extremely nervous

second attempt "yeah umm sorry man i need my car today.." (wow)

third attempt "your permit is expired" (that was my bad.. i guess)

jesus christ lol...

at least when i get a car ill have to pay less on insurance. a silver lining? hahahahaha

its sorta funny now.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 01:17 pm
Rockhead wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
If you live in Vegas and need a job, I would suggest driving a truck.
Most major companies (Schneider, JB Hunt, CR England, CFI, etc), all offer free training as long as you work for them.
Its a good honest job, its a good carreer, you can make decent money, and with a CDL you will never be out of work unless you want to be.

Onion, this is good advice as well.

I have fallen back on my CDL more than once to keep things rollin'...

I started driving before the CDL was started.
I drive local now (home every night) but I drove OTR for 16 years.
I was never out of work, nor did I have to worry about my next paycheck.

Its always good to have a backup plan.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 01:18 pm
I love Butrflynet's suggestions re animal jobs, and Mysteryman's idea about trucking sounds really good too. Don't just shine them on with the "I've already tried everything!!!" business...

As far as college, I hate to say it, but it is a lot easier to get financial aid for school after you turn 25.

I don't want to discourage you AT ALL from trying to start now, because I think college would be great for you. But just in case you get totally frustrated with dealing with it at this point (frustrated?! not OG, never!!), I just wanted to give you a heads up that at least you aren't too far from when only your own income counts.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 01:18 pm
i just realized, i need a license to buy a car, i need a car for a license.

this system is incredible. really... wtf?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 01:22 pm
Joining the military is also a time-honored method of a) escaping a difficult environment and b) getting educated.

Navy always looked good to me (w/ some family history there).

Coast Guard could be a good gig, too.

Temp agencies are a good suggestion.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 01:33 pm
Las Vegas Public Library branch locations:

http://www.lvccld.org/about/locations.html

Here's the website for the Las Vegas regional transit system. They even have a trip planner that gives you door-to-door planning of bus routes and schedules.

http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 01:39 pm
the military is totally out of the question, i simply do not condone killing.

im a bhuddist.

seriously.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 01:40 pm
wow thanks butr thats very nice of you..way more than you had to do.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 01:41 pm
Las Vegas Commercial Truck Driving Schools:

http://www.dmvnv.com/dlschoolscom.htm
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 02:18 pm
OGIONIK wrote:

im a bhuddist.

seriously.

There are hundreds of jobs in the military that have nothing to do with killing.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 02:25 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
i found a job nearby for taking care of dogs, feeding cleaning etc..

the guy said i wasnt what they were looking for,(no pro experience) but i AM what they are looking for, is this when im supposed to pester them?

i already tried 3 times, twice in person.

taking care of dogs is my THING.

I'll try to find the link to this story later.

But, here's the gist of it.

NPR was interviewing this guy who was now one of the head executive chefs for the Bellagio.

He had served a prison sentence for some really bad drug stuff.

He told how while he was in prison, he got himself assigned to kitchen duty (which in itself was really interesting the way he described how since you had to check out knives and sharp objects obviously, he learned to do a lot of stuff using just can lids).

When he got out, he knew he wanted to be a chef on the outside. He knew he'd have to start at rock bottom.

He showed up at a restaurant he really wanted to work at, willing to do anything; washing dishes, garbage duty, cleanup, whatever. Of course he was turned down.

He showed up there EVERY morning asking if there was anything he could do, even if they didn't pay him. He did this every single day for weeks, maybe even months. Finally the owner or manager got sick of seeing him every day and gave him something to do.

Even if he didn't end up a big important chef, he would still be doing something he loved.

I'm going to post that link so you can listen to it, it was so inspiring.

He was asked if people in hard times or out of prison ever come to him for a job, and he said sure, all the time. Does he give them a job? Definitely NOT. Not if they just show up like they think he's going to feel sorry for them. If they can prove they want to be there and will work really hard, they have the same chance as anyone else at getting hired. Just like he had to prove himself.

You really love dogs. You talk about your dog all the time.

Go down to that place every single day. Ask if there's anything….anything at all you can do there. Each day if they say no, come back again the next day and ask. Watch the other dog workers and pick up skills. Make friends with everyone there. Don't ever tell anyone how bad the world treating you. Just keep telling them you're willing to do anything if they'll just try you. Volunteer to work there a week for nothing and do your damndest to be the best worker there. Tell them if they don't like you after that week, ok, but if they see any potential you'd love to get on with them.

Be twice, no, three times as good as the best person there as far as attitude.

Just keep showing up.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 02:34 pm
Excellent suggestion, chai!

And, onion, read back through some of your posts. Read them out loud. When you get to the part that you'll find in many/most of them where it turns negative and how it will all suck in the end stop speaking.

If you click on your username you'll get a listing of all of your posts. Read through them one at a time and make yourself see where what starts out positive turns negative.

With practice you can catch yourself doing it before it comes out. With practice you can begin to see that not all things turn out badly. If you present yourself with a positive attitude then folks will be more likely to give you a chance to prove yourself then if you come in with an attitude of failure. It's the whole honey and vinegar thing... Life doesn't always suck. Sure, there's usually a downside to everything but if you let the potential downside keep you from looking for an upside you'll never get off the couch.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 02:42 pm
Thanks JPB

HA - I found it!

Onion - Go to this link and give a listen...

Jeff Henderson - author of "Cooked"

I think I might just look for this book.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 02:48 pm
With all the fires in Nevada and California these days, there's a shortage of firefighters.

http://www.lasvegasfireexplorers.net/

Quote:
Las Vegas Fire and Rescue provides the opportunity for high school students and college students to become familiar with career opportunities available in the fire service.

Through classroom instruction, hands-on training, and volunteer work, explorers are provided a base of knowledge and experience that will benefit them not only in fire service careers, but also in all future endeavors.

The program is designed to encourage and promote; accountability, being safe, communication, teamwork, fitness and the development of leadership skills.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 03:00 pm
firefighter is my dream job! crazy...
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 03:07 pm
wtf they have an age deadline, age 20.

haha.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 03:08 pm
OGIONIK wrote:

im a bhuddist.

seriously.

Doesn't stop you from taking drugs, apparently.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 03:11 pm
Actually, Drewdad, the onion is rather anti-drug for a young man in his situation, but thanks for the advice...
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 03:11 pm
true..

nobody is perfect.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 03:14 pm
anyone know what it takes to get into k9 dog search and rescue stuff?

hes right, i dont do drugs like everyone thinks i do. ive experimented, but i havent done anything lately, except drink.

and seriously, i got more addicted to alcohol than even coke or ecstasy...

it scares me. i black out drank for a week straight (depression i guess)

then i was like, ooookk. i know when im addicted.

enoughs enough.

now , if i could only quit smoking. holy ****, cigarettes.

;(
0 Replies