if you just need a "job" any job, what the hell do u do?

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:22 am
this sux, its not even a matter of a good job, or even a decent job. i cant find ANY job, what am i supposed to do?

seriously, one cannot survive in society without money, i dont want to go to prison for selling drugs, and i have very high morals so i cant picture myself robbing or stealing cars. do unto others and all that.

being a hermit doesnt seem very fun either. haha

college seems like a very very distant prospect, and if i am enrolled i most likely will still need a job LOL. its a lose/lose situation so far, id appreciate any advice anyone has to offer me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,448 • Replies: 109
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:23 am
McDonalds?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:24 am
Why not pursue the college option first and go from there?

From everything you've said it sounds like you'd be entitled to significant financial aid. Plus there are many jobs that are available to students and only students. (I.e. going to college will open up job possibilities WHILE you're in college that you wouldn't have otherwise.)
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:28 am
littlek wrote:
McDonalds?

i dont speak spanish, i lasted 1 day before i gave up.

they all hated me because i was like umm, i dont know what your saying.

i had to say that like 6 times before i realized the manager only hired me because she wanted to screw me, i wish i was joking.

she was pretty hot though haha.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:29 am
something that generates tips.

or

something in construction.

or

parks and recreation department for your city (heh, onion as a city employee would be very cool).

or

learn to drive a truck.

or

look into apprenticeship programs at local trade unions.

or...

What do you like to do in your spare time? Pick a hobby and turn it into a job (doable, but it depends on the hobby).

Whatever you do - set aside a few hours and a few dollars each week and take a night class. It takes a lot longer but one class at a time will eventually get you an education.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:31 am
sozobe wrote:
Why not pursue the college option first and go from there?

From everything you've said it sounds like you'd be entitled to significant financial aid. Plus there are many jobs that are available to students and only students. (I.e. going to college will open up job possibilities WHILE you're in college that you wouldn't have otherwise.)

good point, im heading to my community college tomorrow by the way!
i need my transcripts, its straight f's (due to something abut absences..., they said i had like 30 and i was like aawesome! thanks school system!)

gah i dont know how its gonna work out. its weird though, i had taken my umm ged, and the lady looked at me and said "wow, thats an amazing score!"

and i was like yeah, ive never got less than an a on any test. she said it was incredible.

I know.

Hopefully when i take the entrance exams someone notices my talent or something and i dont have any issues.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:32 am
Good test scores, low income, not sure what to do with your life... college, boy, college. Do it this time (we've talked about it before).
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:34 am
Onion, listen to the lady...

you already know i agree.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

my only hobby is dogs, i cant find any animal places where i live which sucks!!!

and art, but i lost my inspiration or whatever for drawing and painting. i dont really want an art job anyways it would take the fun out of it..

this guy sad i need "experience" with taking care of animals, i said i had taken care of over 30 animals in my life, reptiles, dogs cats birds fish.

and he said, well it has to be professional experience.

what a **** face

how hard is it to clean feed and pick up excrement? seriously.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

or open the paper and respond to ads offering jobs.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:35 am
im going already! damnit you guys are making me think about going today. lol, i have to go across town 3 times but maybe your all on to something...

do they charge to get a copy of transcripts? god i hope not..
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:37 am
dagmaraka wrote:
or open the paper and respond to ads offering jobs.

ive definitely tried that, there is nothing in there.. its horribad. i hear profits from gambling dropped 30% from 2007. (i dont know if its true or not..)

las vegas is gonna be a ghost town soon...
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:41 am
hrm, it seems they dropped the need for transcripts...

awesome. cool!

wow! looks like ill def be there in a couple hours
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:43 am
OGIONIK wrote:
im going already! damnit you guys are making me think about going today.

Good! Go for it when you're feeling motivated, get the ball rolling.

Oh, just saw your last post... excellent!
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:47 am
wow i even applied online for free, last time they wanted a debit card..

LOL, it seems they realize not everyone has money to throw around..
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:14 pm
ok what the ****. i go to file for assistance and they want my perants tax information, im TWENTY THREE ******* YEARS OLD.

looks like financial aid is aout of the question, they said they arent giving me their information.

hooray.

roadblock #2...

i wonder how hards it is going to be to get past this one.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:16 pm
i dont know why the **** they need my parents tax information.

holy **** seems like a regular ol scamarooney
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:24 pm
what a mother ******* joke.

IM 23 AND I CANT Get COLLEGE FINANCIAL AID WITHOUT MY PARENTS TAX INFO?

good ******* grief..
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:29 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
ok what the ****. i go to file for assistance and they want my perants tax information, im TWENTY THREE **** YEARS OLD.

looks like financial aid is aout of the question, they said they arent giving me their information.

hooray.

roadblock #2...

i wonder how hards it is going to be to get past this one.

This was a major road block for me too and one of the reasons it took me so long to graduate. Take it from me, fill it out anyway. They use that form to determine eligibility for loans too, not just grants. If you don't fill it out you'll end up with commercial loans at a much higher rate. Talk to someone in the financial aid office about what to do when parents won't provide that info. Making friends in the financial aid office will get you very far. I was in there so often before I finally graduated that I might as well have worked there. I still remember one lady saying "I think we have some leftover Pell money for you too." That seemed amazing to me, that they just had money laying around waiting for someone to give it to.

I am totally on board with sozobe on this. Get thee to college, young man. They often set aside jobs at the school for aid recipients, and lots of folks advertise there for part time jobs. If you have some time, volunteer at the humane society. Up and at'em!
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 12:36 pm
yay for things beyond my control that decide my future, lol.

im sick of that already, why wont this system let me take control of my own life?

gah!

i will definitely be in there quite alot, i can imagine.

the lady on the phone was like, umm your going to have to talk to your school about what to do about that.

gee, thanks hahahaha
0 Replies