My Plan to Sleep with a College Guy

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 12:00 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Wowzer! The College Guy is developing a recognizable style. Nice.

(did he hear me talking to MAB about how I wish someone would come up with a permanent poppy so I don't have to buy 4 or 5 of those felt ones a year?)

Ha! That's exactly what he was thinking.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 01:29 pm
@Tai Chi,
Hey yeah, it's been a while, hasn't it. You're probably back in the thick of things about now I bet given the season and all. Hang tight! Better days are coming! (Oh sorry, am I projecting?!)

~~~

Love the poppy on the front and cross on the back of that enamelled piece. Very nice. Cool concept.

I'm digging the agate too.

I forget how long his program runs, another year or is this it? I'll go back and look at the thread. Will he set up shop somewhere?
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 07:02 pm
@Tai Chi,
Quote:
He's really getting more adventurous this year. Stay tuned!

He is!
And I definitely will, Tai!
This is exciting. Smile
Thanks for responding to my questions about the techniques he used in those pieces.

(I've only just found this thread again now. No email updates for a few weeks now. Anyone else experiencing this? Frustrating.)
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 09:16 pm
@Joeblow,
It is the silly season for sure. I can't wait for Christmas to be over (says Mrs. Grinch).

This is his final year. Big self-designed projects are coming in second semester. We'll be starting work on a studio/garage when we get to the island hopefully in the spring.
Joeblow

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 06:58 am
@Tai Chi,
That’s exciting news on all fronts.

So of course you know we’ll be requiring updates on the schoolhouse thread too now, right? My thanks! I’m really very interested in the entire process and will be looking to see the workshop in progress if you feel like posting about it. We have a “bunkie” at the cottage I sometimes dream of converting into a workshop for myself. What’s stopped me you might ask? Well, I don’t do anything creative at this point, but maybe I could you see, and I’d love to have a place to do it. This thread and the school thread are two of my favourites. Vicarious living, you betcha! Inspiring, too.

Ok, so let me recap: More jewellery and schoolhouse pictures, please.
sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 07:00 am
@Joeblow,
What she said!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 08:17 pm
Yeah! Me too!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 06:27 pm
Be careful what you wish for!

If the weather cooperates we may head up to the island for a few days after Christmas. I hope to have some more jewelry photos in the new year (after the seasonal craziness calms down and I have some time).
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 01:05 pm
Sorry to be so brazen - but did you finally sleep with the college guy, Tai Chi?
sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 01:09 pm
@spidergal,
It's possible you're just being dry, in which case I apologize for the over-explanation, but Tai was being cute with her title. Her husband became a college guy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 01:13 pm
Me too, Tai Chi, me too.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 08:01 am
@spidergal,
Wink
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 02:39 pm
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0586.jpg

Obsidian arrow bolo tie. Silver plate background has an etched profusion of small arrows. Stainless steel cable with silver tips.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 01:10 pm
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0559.jpg?t=1295118237

A close up of the bolo. While early people used obsidian for arrow heads, they were usually shaped by chipping. In order to be bezel set this arrow had to be chip-free. One instructor said (sarcastically), "Good luck with that." The other said, "Be very, very careful". This was not the first (or even second) attempt.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 01:18 pm
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0617.jpg?t=1295118638

Mokume Gane is Japanese for "wood grain". The designs are created by laminating multiple layers of different metals (in this case bronze, copper, sterling) then dents were punched in to the metal and sanded flat. The other piece is straight lamination I think.
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 01:20 pm
The College Guy is cutting, shaping and polishing stones this year. This is a crazy lace agate cabochon:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0616.jpg?t=1295119128

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 01:40 pm
@Tai Chi,
Love this laminated metal work
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 01:41 pm
@Tai Chi,
What's the metal on that last one?

So fun to follow along!
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 01:56 pm
@sozobe,
It's sterling silver, soz (even though it looks yellow-ish). The College Guy has started a photography course this semester -- specifically for photographing jewelry. I'm hoping we get some better photos as a result.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 03:46 pm
@Tai Chi,
I'm a cabochon stone fan.. this is very nice. I like the different lengths of the hangers-on.