My Plan to Sleep with a College Guy

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 04:44 pm
(For the back story on this thread title, see here.)

Just an update. Mr. Fix-it is working his last shift with his employer even as I type. He has to take all his accumulated holiday before leaving so he has the rest of the month of August off. If the weather is favourable (utility trailer full of tools and some furniture so it better not rain) we will head north tomorrow. Mid month he registers for classes and gets his timetable and after the Labour Day weekend he's back to school for three years!

I will be back at my quit-able job in September. I took a part time retail job in January figuring I would have to quit it to get away in August. Amazingly they gave me a leave of absence and want me back in September. The work is physically demanding and the pay is awful but it has its advantages: an employee discount for some of the stuff we need to do renovations, and, did I mention, it's quit-able?! (Oh right, another advantage, I'm down 5 pounds in spite of anxiety-eating since we made our life altering decision. Just imagine if I could stop snacking!)

So I won't be around for a month. (This is really difficult for me with so many A2Kers having medical and other issues -- I'll be thinking about you all!)

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 04:50 pm
any chance he'll be on the varsity wrestling team?

Cool
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 04:55 pm
We'll be thinking of you TC - and so pleased you went for Number 1 - Mr Fix It Will he pleased methinks.

The North will be fortunate to have you... and we will be here when you get back girl.

Lots of love and well wishes to you and "the College Guy"

stay safe, be well and good luck with the endeavour...

Iz xxxx
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 04:56 pm
Sounds like an adventure! Lemme know when the newness wears off. :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 04:57 pm
Have fun!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:02 pm
Ha! Man, I'm gonna miss you guys.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 07:26 pm
oh ... if there's some kind of emergency surplus of smoked whitefish up there let djjd know to pass on the message ... I think I might need to take a road trip
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 07:29 pm
Tai, we'll be paying attention and expect reports when you two get back. Be good (as we used to say, and what was that about? or bad, and have fun).
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 09:24 am
I've been hit-and-run posting since we got back from the North (still not quite used to the new A2K and we've been crazy busy with the new "routine") but I figure some of you may be curious as to how it's going.

The first week was really rough. Mr Fix-it was reminded of how much he had always hated school. I was working an unusual number of hours and not always around to listen to him vent. He's been pretty overwhelmed and the work has been piled on from Day 1. Well, actually Day 2 -- Day 1 was orientation and appears to have consisted of vendors handing out free convenience food (Stagg Chili comes in microwavable single portions? Who knew?), goofy games and the obligatory identifying T-shirt "SDVA". Oh yeah, did I mention? I'm not only sleeping with a college guy, he's an artist! "School of Design and the Visual Arts" -- specifically Metalsmithing with an emphasis on Jewelry Design. Next year, silversmithing, third year goldsmithing. He's already made a flat silver band (ring), twisted silver bangle, and is finishing up a complicated necklace due next week. There will be casting and hammering and stone cutting. It is an intense course. Some of the other students are way ahead of him in terms of previous experience, so he is spending a lot of hours in the studio (it's available 14 hours a day during the week and 7 hours a day on the weekends). And of course there is the academic side. Him: I have to write an essay! Aarrgghh! Me: Calm down it's not due for 3 months. Him: But I have to write an essay! Me: It's only 5 pages. Him: I don't know anything about the subject! Me: I'll help you with research ( but I won't write it). And on it goes...

In the midst of all this our youngest turned up with the love of his life (who we had up to this time never heard of) for a visit (read free room and board and anti-social hours). It added to the stress level as much as we love to see him.

AND...we got home to find no package from his employer explaining how this whole thing was going to work financially (had to beg for info in multiple e-mails) and no money in our account since the end of July as his foreman forgot to do the paperwork for his vacation pay. Hello? We're still dealing with pension issues. My head hurts.

The upside is the marks Mr Fix-it has seen so far are excellent. (His communications prof asked if she could use one of his assignments as an example for her other classes -- TEACHER'S PET!) and if my calculations are correct we are going to do okay budget-wise even with the expense of buying silver etc for his projects. (In theory, they can be sold at the Xmas jewelry sale and the money used to buy more material. That would be ideal.)

All that being said, I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I hate my job. I tell myself that at least now I have the car and can be home in 20 minutes instead of over an hour on the bus. (Mr. Fix-it rides his bike to school -- he's so cute.) I tell myself not to rock the boat in these scary economic times. I tell myself it won't kill me to spend 8 hours on my feet, that other people do it, that it's not forever, and with luck, when I tell them I need May-August off next summer they'll make me quit. I still feel like throwing up when I get to the employee parking lot and have to psych myself up to drag my sorry ass and steel toes inside. The weird thing is that I actually enjoy dealing with customers (I'm really very good with people. I'm excellent, actually. I know my stuff and I'm pleasant and bloody helpful.) I like most of my co-workers. But.....The hours suck. Never ever ever sitting down -- until lunchtime -- sucks. Not being able to have water at our work stations -- never mind coffee or tea -- sucks. Heavy lifting and too much work for the hours scheduled sucks. Forget farting around on the internet when you've got a moment, I never get a moment and our computers aren't connected to the internet anyway. But, you know, it's quit-able.

Gosh. Apparently I needed to get THAT off my chest.

Anyhow...that was September. I gotta go make "dinner" to take to my quit-able job.

Gargamel

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 09:33 am
I luv hot guyz!
sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 09:35 am
@Tai Chi,
Yes, I've been curious!

The metalsmithing with an emphasis on jewelry design sounds incredibly fabulous. <wistful sigh>

Tai Chi wrote:
Him: I have to write an essay! Aarrgghh! Me: Calm down it's not due for 3 months.

Heh!!

And yes, it's patently obvious that you'd be good with people.

Maybe look for another job while keeping the quit-able one? And then if you actually find another job that looks better, quit?

The heavy lifting, the standing and standing... sounds rough.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 10:03 am
@sozobe,
Ditto!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 10:14 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

I luv hot guyz!

I luv Kool-Aid.

We have a lot in common, you and I. How long you been out of college, Gargamel? Wink
Tai Chi

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 10:17 am
soz, osso, don't mind me. It's not forever. I do keep an eye on the "job bank" but I'm specifically looking for a short term contract type job. I don't want to take a job that requires extensive training and then say "oh, by the way I can't be here May through August". Am I over-ethical or just stupid?
Joeblow

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 10:57 am
@Tai Chi,
Neither. You're a decent human being and a credit to any company that gets you.

I'm glad you posted.

Keep yer stick on the ice.
Joeblow

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 10:58 am
@Joeblow,
I luv Hot guyz

Kool-Aid

AND

Jewelry.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 11:05 am
@Tai Chi,
Tai Chi wrote:

Gargamel wrote:

I luv hot guyz!

I luv Kool-Aid.

We have a lot in common, you and I. How long you been out of college, Gargamel? Wink

A few years. But I remain a student of life. Or something. And also of sweet, sweet romance.
jespah

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 04:37 pm
@Gargamel,
And cupcakes.

PS Good to hear from you, Ms. Chi. Smile
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 02:59 pm
Thanks for the kind words, Joeblow. (Now that I've got all that out of my system...)

Holy coincidence, Jespah! A co-worker brought in cupcakes for the night shift yesterday (and they were delicious). (BTW that job description I asked you about -- the job disappeared from the job board the same day I applied, so I missed that boat [and can't tell you what it may have entailed].)

Gargamel, nice to know romance is still alive and well.
mismi

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 03:05 pm
@Tai Chi,
Tai Chi - this sounds so exciting...I am so impressed that you and yours have done this. It sounds great - though I know it is going to be difficult for a while. I hope you find the contract work you are looking for soon.

I have been glad to see you back though!
0 Replies