McCain is blowing his election chances.

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 02:53 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's aggravating to watch and is why I believe a shake up is in order.

I think it may be too late. The most recent shake up was not long ago at all (a few weeks?*) and that was pretty thorough. I don't think they can pile shake-up upon shake-up without that being a problem, itself. It means there are a lot of reinventions of the wheel, staff gets burned out, etc, etc.

*Looked it up, it was July 2nd:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/202562.php

Quote:
I think we've now got the tell on the ouster of Rick Davis at the McCain campaign.

It's not just that Davis is being replaced by Steve Schmidt as campaign manager. They are reportedly also scrapping their system of 11 largely autonomous regional managers to run the campaign, an approach to running a national campaign that I do not believe has ever been tried before.

That sounds a lot like they're scrapping the whole operation and starting again from square one, thus squandering the huge advantage they got by sealing up the nomination months in advance of the Democrats.

No doubt, they'll talk about retooling and logical evolutions. But this sounds much more like scrapping the whole org chart and starting from scratch.

Late Update: The Trib discusses what appears to be another key part of this. The McCain hands getting their walking papers to make room for Rove's crew to take over.

Links embedded in original.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 04:33 pm
Who would McDrain have to pick at Veep to wake his campaign up?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 04:49 pm
Lash wrote:
Who would McDrain have to pick at Veep to wake his campaign up?

For a long time, I said AK gov. Sarah Palin. She's dealing with a scandal, so now I dunno; but it's gotta be someone young and exciting or it doesn't help him at all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 06:59 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I think it's still close due mostly to McCains reoutation, not his campaign. It's that strength he needs to base his campaign on. Trying to tear down Obama will not win it for him.

I agree with the whole mixed message thing. McCain needs one of those really sharp personal assistants that can keep McCain briefed on where he is and what his message is for that particular speaking engagement. He needs coaching on how to campaign, not be a politician, he knows that, but how to campaign. this is not a slam on his age by any means, but he has a lot on his plate and having that person would be invaluable to him.

His mouth pieces also need to be on the same message. It's really hard to win when the candidate is saying one thing and someone else on his staff is saying the opposite. You don't see that from Obama.

It's time for McCain to get his ship in order. Weed out the staff that are holding him back and bring in the big guns that can finish this thing strong!

He should see if Nancy Reagan is available. She did an excellent job of that for Ronnie.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 07:10 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 10:00 pm
Re: McCain is blowing his election chances.
McGentrix wrote:
As I watch this election, I wonder to myself how McCain has managed to basically suck so badly in his campaign.

I too am amazed at how badly McCain's campaign seems to be run.

I think the core problem is that McCain is not running his campaign, his campaign is trying to run him (and he's letting it happen). And the two things are not in sync right now. McCain is simply not the poster-boy for the classic republican power base, and I think most people know it. So when he tries to play the role of a good republican it undermines his credibility (and that was probably one of the main things he had going for him). One thing's for certain, if McCain can't get control of his own campaign and assert some of his own character, then he doesn't deserve to be president.

The ability to run the race is a valid test for the ability to hold the office.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 01:57 am
That could be interpreted as a testimonial to Obama's manifest fitness for the office.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:38 am
snood wrote:
That could be interpreted as a testimonial to Obama's manifest fitness for the office.

I agree. And that's the other half of McCain's problem, he's up against one hell of a good campaigner. Besides Obama's amazing ability to draw crowds and motivate people, he's apparently selected an extremely effective and innovative staff (they even beat the Clinton campaign machine). Those are exactly the skills a president needs to navigate the political waters of Washington.

Unless McCain turns it around quickly (and it may already be too late) I think this could be an Obama landslide. Of course, it's a long way to November, so all kinds of crap (on either side) can happen before then.

Either way, we all win because Bush is gone. The only question is do we win big or win small.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 01:24 pm
Regarding the latest TV spot featuring Britney spears and Obama:

John McCain wrote:
First of all, let me say that there are differences, and we drawing those differences. I said earlier that I admire his campaign, but what we're talking about here is substance and not style. Campaigns are tough, but I'm proud of the campaign that we have run, I'm proud of the issues we are trying to address with the American people. And, again, I would hope that Senator Obama would join me so that we could discuss this - as he said he wanted a "duel" over taxes, as I think he said yesterday.
All I can say is that we are proud of that commercial. We think Americans need to know that I believe that we should be basing this campaign on what we can do for Americans here at home and how we can make America safe and prosperous, and that's the theme of my campaign.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/Emoticons/doh.gif

Why do I have a feeling this isn't the last time I use that emoticon?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 01:33 pm
I agree with Cyclone, Sarah Palin would be an excellent choice, however, Cindy might get a little jealous.

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k51/cjhsa/sarah_palin.jpg[/IMG]
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 03:01 pm
McCain is losing the media.

From the print issue of Rolling Stone:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_1xQeOPE9ePU/SJIY-YRp0bI/AAAAAAAABp0/iKRuen7IfA8/s400/mccainrollingstone1.jpg

http://bp3.blogger.com/_1xQeOPE9ePU/SJIY-dkOk3I/AAAAAAAABp8/G0HVLr2B-pI/s400/mccainrollingstone2.jpg

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 03:08 pm
Two more barbaric comments about the candidate.

"Republican presidential candidate John McCain expressed pride Thursday in a new campaign ad that compares Barack Obama to a pair of Hollywood celebrities, but defended his Democratic opponent after a voter said Obama "terrifies me."
The ad intersperses images of Obama's appearance before cheering fans in Berlin last week with clips of Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. It underscores McCain's oft-stated criticism that Obama is more a media phenomenon than someone prepared to assume the presidency, but also led some Republican supporters of McCain to complain the ad was childish. "

McCain accuses Obama of playing politics with race

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=2008-07-31_D9292E5O0&show_article=1&cat=breaking
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 04:13 pm
Okay, wow. McCain is really losing it.

In between saying he's 'proud' his campaign made a commercial about Britney Spears and Paris Hilton, somehow he glosses over the fact that he hasn't taken questions from the press in a week; he cannot answer questions about what his own campaign is doing, about Ted Stevens, about anything.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:31 pm
For the anti-McCain spin on this thread, the polls certainly show no evidence of McCain's campaign imploding.

source

Quote:
The race for the presidency has moved back into a statistical tie in the latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking update of national registered voters, with Barack Obama now ahead of John McCain by just one percentage point, 45% to 44%. Today's results are based on Gallup Poll Daily tracking from July 28-30.

The latest three-day average confirms that Obama was unable to solidify the significant lead he briefly enjoyed among registered voters at the height of publicity surrounding his weeklong visit to Afghanistan, Iraq, the Middle East, and Europe. Gallup tracking showed Obama's lead rising at one point as high as nine percentage points (for the average from last Thursday, Friday, and Saturday), but the presumptive Democratic nominee has been losing ground since that point.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:32 pm
slkshock7 wrote:
For the anti-McCain spin on this thread, the polls certainly show no evidence of McCain's campaign imploding.

source

Quote:
The race for the presidency has moved back into a statistical tie in the latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking update of national registered voters, with Barack Obama now ahead of John McCain by just one percentage point, 45% to 44%. Today's results are based on Gallup Poll Daily tracking from July 28-30.

The latest three-day average confirms that Obama was unable to solidify the significant lead he briefly enjoyed among registered voters at the height of publicity surrounding his weeklong visit to Afghanistan, Iraq, the Middle East, and Europe. Gallup tracking showed Obama's lead rising at one point as high as nine percentage points (for the average from last Thursday, Friday, and Saturday), but the presumptive Democratic nominee has been losing ground since that point.

Actually, Obama is far ahead in state polling at this point, as I've already shown earlier on this thread.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:12 pm
It's not supposed to be anti-McCain so much as a place for me and other to vent our frustrations at the seeming lack of life coming from the campaign, not the candidate.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:19 pm
Oh yeah - I remember "supposed to be"...

Like the Obama thread was supposed to be about the liklihood of Obama running and winning, and devolved immediately for some folks into a bile dump.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:23 pm
McG has a good point; if he wants to have a place to discuss McCain's many campaign woes, I say let's let him.

Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:37 pm
Ben Stein was on Larry King last night. For the second time in recent days he has made jaw dropping statements considering his extreme conservative credentials.

Here's where my jaw hit the table:

STEIN: And we also had a tremendous tech bubble under my friend and yours, Mr. Clinton. But they're bubbles. And it's a terrible problem that we don't have enough government supervision. I'm going to shock you and say there's a gigantic flaw in Republican policy, which is not believing in regulation. A few hundred million dollars worth of regulation would have avoided this entire problem of the credit meltdown. Maybe $20 million, $30 million of decent regulation would have avoided this entire problem in the credit meltdown. It's going to cost the taxpayers tens...

KRUGMAN: All right.

STEIN: ...maybe hundreds of billions of dollars. Supervision and regulation are not...

KRUGMAN: Then ask yourself which candidates is more likely...

STEIN: I agree that that's a flaw in Mr. McCain's platform. He should be saying we're going to be supervising people.

We're going to be the party of Teddy Roosevelt. We're not going to let the big boys on Wall Street suck the blood out of America and then walk home rich like rich fat pigs while the rest of America is suffering.

For complete [rush] transcript:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0807/30/lkl.01.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:48 am
Hmmmm... good point.

McCain's Attack Strategy Is Ugly But Not Stupid

John McCain seemed like anything but a typical politician when he burst onto the national scene eight years ago in a campaign that transformed him into the most popular public figure in America (if not in his own party).

But now, less than 100 days before the 2008 presidential election, he's running a full-blown attack campaign, disparaging Barack Obama on both philosophical and personal grounds, and taking a few liberties with the truth while he's at it. In response, many of his old allies in America's op-ed and editorial pages, not to mention within the Republican Party, are warning that the presumptive G.O.P. nominee is recklessly soiling his reputation for character and integrity - and all for a strategy that, they say, is flatly counterproductive.

When McCain's campaign unveiled its latest shrill attack ad on Wednesday - a nasty little spot that ridicules Obama as another Britney Spears or Paris Hilton - John Weaver, who was perhaps McCain's most loyal friend and confidante in Washington until he left the McCain campaign in a shake-up last year, went public to pronounce the ad "childish" and "tomfoolery" and to declare that the campaign's negative emphasis on Obama "reduces McCain on the stage."

"For McCain to win in such troubled times," Weaver told The Atlantic's Marc Ambinder, "he needs to begin telling the American people how he intends to lead us. That McCain exists. He can inspire the country to greatness."

Weaver's sentiments, no doubt, mesh with those of most of the political observers, activists and insiders who fell in the love with the jovial and freewheeling McCain of 2000. The man and the campaign they are seeing in 2008 are utterly incongruous with what they witnessed back then.

But their concern is only half-valid. The charge that McCain is sacrificing his own cherished and hard-won reputation, and that he may never recover it if his campaign keeps this up, is most certainly correct. But the assumption that this will also destroy his chances of winning the presidency - or even diminish them - has less basis in reality.

The personality-based campaign that worked so amazingly for McCain eight years ago - and the kind of campaign that Weaver and the rest of the McCain-of-Yesteryear Fan Club would like to see him run - simply can't work for him in 2008.

Think back to March of 2000, when the resistance of the right forced McCain to abandon his bid for the Republican presidential nomination. At the time, was running an astounding 25 points ahead of Al Gore in a theoretical general election match-up, so singularly admired was McCain among independents and even Democrats. (George W. Bush's margin at the time was just four points).

The public, by and large, was domestically content and blissfully ignorant of foreign policy and national security concerns - the perfect recipe for an entirely personality-driven campaign. And after eight years of Democratic rule (and personal scandal), voters were receptive to the idea of giving the G.O.P. a chance to run the White House. In that environment, there is no doubt that McCain, simply running as John McCain, could and would have defeated Gore or any other Democrat in something approaching a landslide in the general election.

2008 is a far, far different story. The public is anxious, frustrated and angry, troubled by a collapsing economy and the soaring cost of living on the home front and a host of worries - and wars - overseas. And the blame, in most voters' eyes, for the country's troubles is laid primarily at the feet of McCain's G.O.P.

Moreover, McCain himself - even before his campaign's embrace of the personally negative - has seen significant erosion in his sterling reputation, the result of standing unapologetically in support of an Iraq war that the public has long stopped believing in. In 2000, it helped McCain to be on the wrong side of public opinion on an issue of two, with voters judging him a stand-up guy for it. But the issues in 2008 feel far less trivial to the public, and McCain's war views invite more scorn than admiration from his old fans.

In this setting, McCain lacks what he would have had as the G.O.P. nominee in 2000: the ability to win in November simply by being himself. Part of this is due to the strength and unusual personal appeal of Obama. A bigger reason is the overwhelming desire of the electorate to evict the Republican Party from the White House. If voters have a favorable view of both McCain and Obama on Election Day, Obama will win.

In short, the McCain of 2000 no longer exists, and thanks to issues like Iraq, couldn't exist even if his campaign made a conscious effort to resurrect him. Running a 2000-like campaign would preserve McCain's reputation and win him plenty of favorable post-election write-ups from his old media friends - but it can't win him the election.

What can win him the election, as sad as it is to say, is the kind of campaign he is now resorting to. McCain's aides have privately told the press that they see the fall race as a referendum on Obama. They are right. This campaign is not about hordes of undecided voters weighing the pros and cons of McCain and Obama; it is about hordes of undecided voters who are inclined - both because of his party label and his personality - to vote for Obama, but who still have trouble imagining him as America's commander in chief. If Obama can satisfy their doubts, he will win going away - just as Ronald Reagan did in 1980, when he won the masses over in a debate a week before Election Day. If he can't, then those voters will default to McCain, the "safe" old warrior. And it will have little to do with whether or not they approved of the tone of his advertising.

McCain has clearly figured that if he emerges victorious in an election that is Obama's to lose, he will have his entire presidency to repair whatever damage is done to his reputation. He has also figured that his current strategy is his only chance of winning. He's probably right on both counts.
0 Replies