McCain is blowing his election chances.

DrewDad

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:31 am
Foxfyre wrote:
And a truly objective analysis of what each candidate is saying doesn't reveal any more substance coming from the Obama camp.

I'd like to see a truly objective analysis.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:42 am
DrewDad wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
And a truly objective analysis of what each candidate is saying doesn't reveal any more substance coming from the Obama camp.

Well any truly objective analysis of political substance is subjective don't you think? In the eye of the beholder and all that?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:43 am
Foxfyre wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Well any truly objective analysis of political substance is subjective don't you think? In the eye of the beholder and all that?

So in your opinion, in politics, objectivity is reliant upon subjectivity?

Rolling Eyes

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:50 am
Yup. At least in impressions and/or conclusions based on one's perceptions, I think subjectivity is a huge component of claimed objectivity.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:58 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Yup. At least in impressions and/or conclusions based on one's perceptions, I think subjectivity is a huge component of claimed objectivity.

What you describe IS subjectivity. Objectivity is something else entirely, and cannot rely upon subjectivity by definition. It usually revolves around factual assessments of things.

For example, an objective look at McCain's latest ads would show that they are full of lies about Obama's positions. This isn't a subjective analysis, it's a factual one. Now, are they effective or not? That's a subjective question. Some on the right certainly seem to think so. But is there any actual evidence of this?

Your piece posted on the last page didn't provide any evidence that the ads have been effective or that they've changed anything at all. It merely asserted that they were.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 11:03 am
The only thing I posted that made any claim at all was the recent Pew study--cited on at least one other thread as well--from which the writer of the article subjectively arrived at his conclusions. There was no inference on the truth or lack thereof of any ads--IMO both candidates have grossly exaggerated the other's statements in their ads. My observation was the effectiveness or lack thereof of the ads.

Surely you aren't suggesting that the inferences drawn from (probable) facts in that DHL ad you posted are not subjective?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 11:07 am
Foxfyre wrote:
The only thing I posted that made any claim at all was the recent Pew study--cited on at least one other thread as well--from which the writer of the article subjectively arrived at his conclusions. There was no inference on the truth or lack thereof of any ads--IMO both candidates have grossly exaggerated the other's statements in their ads. My observation was the effectiveness or lack thereof of the ads.

Surely you aren't suggesting that the inferences drawn from (probable) facts in that DHL ad you posted are not subjective?

Well, the DHL ads at least are factually based, instead of straight-up lying about the other guy, such as McCain's ads, which continually claim that Obama will 'raise your families' taxes' (for the vast majority of American families, this is of course the opposite of what his plan calls for - something which I am not overjoyed about).

I just don't know where the 'seems to be working' is coming from; is there any polling data which backs that idea up? AFAIK, Obama's national and state polling leads are essentially unchanged in the last month or so.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 11:24 am
If the analysis agrees with you, its objective.
If it doesnt agree with you, its subjective.

And I dont care what party or political philosophy you subscribe to, thats just how people are.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 11:26 am
mysteryman wrote:

And I dont care what party or political philosophy you subscribe to, thats just how people are.

This is just untrue. Don't know what else to say about it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 11:26 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Well any truly objective analysis of political substance is subjective don't you think?

Shocked

I'd ask how you think you could possibly expect to be taken seriously after a comment like that, but I suspect you can rationalize reasons quite easily.

I have no doubt that you can claim to be objective, while retaining the ability to denounce anyone with whom you disagree.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 11:47 am
DrewDad wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Well any truly objective analysis of political substance is subjective don't you think?

Shocked

I'd ask how you think you could possibly expect to be taken seriously after a comment like that, but I suspect you can rationalize reasons quite easily.

I have no doubt that you can claim to be objective, while retaining the ability to denounce anyone with whom you disagree.

Sorry, but I do believe many if not most of our political impressions about a candidate are more subjective than objective, so sue me. Also, I don't denounce anyone with whom I disagree. I do presume to disagree when I do for which I have at times been severly pummeled if not downright demonized by others.

Would you say that your opinion of me as 'retaining an ability to denounce anyone with whom (I) disagree' is objective or subjective? If objective, please provide your evidence.

Disagreeing is not denouncing. Some people don't quite get the gist of that, I suppose:

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/bg0805j.jpg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 11:49 am
That cartoon is idiotic. Obama isn't accusing McCain of 'going negative' for disagreeing with him; it's for McCain's childish calling of Obama a 'celebrity' and implying that he is in some way similar to Brittney Spears, or Hilton - who, by the way, eviscerated McCain with a funny response to his illegal use of her image in campaign literature.

McCain and his supporters know that they aren't going to win on the issues; so negative is all they have left. Please try being a little intellectually honest about this, Fox.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 11:50 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I have never seen any Obama supporter admit that ANY analysis of his positions, that finds fault with his positions, is an objective report.
Have you?
Can you provide a link to that.

On the other hand, I can say the same thing about McCain supporters.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 11:54 am
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I have never seen any Obama supporter admit that ANY analysis of his positions, that finds fault with his positions, is an objective report.
Have you?
Can you provide a link to that.

On the other hand, I can say the same thing about McCain supporters.

I don't know if I can provide a link to that. But what you've written is simply untrue.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 12:31 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Shocked

Sorry, but I do believe many if not most of our political impressions about a candidate are more subjective than objective, so sue me. Also, I don't denounce anyone with whom I disagree. I do presume to disagree when I do for which I have at times been severly pummeled if not downright demonized by others.

Would you say that your opinion of me as 'retaining an ability to denounce anyone with whom (I) disagree' is objective or subjective? If objective, please provide your evidence.

Disagreeing is not denouncing. Some people don't quite get the gist of that, I suppose:

Fox, you seem to believe that you can substitute a reasonable tone for reason.

I'm not at all appalled at the idea that politics is subjective.

I'm appalled at how you can say, "And a truly objective analysis of what each candidate is saying doesn't reveal any more substance coming from the Obama camp." And then turn around and invalidate your own post by asking, "Well any truly objective analysis of political substance is subjective don't you think?"

And to top it all of, you get pissy with me.

I'll agree with one thing you've said:

Foxfyre wrote:
Some people don't quite get the gist of that, I suppose

I'm outta here for a while.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 12:32 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Shocked

Great cartoon. I'll set it as my desktop background.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 12:59 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Shocked

Fox, you seem to believe that you can substitute a reasonable tone for reason.

I'm not at all appalled at the idea that politics is subjective.

I'm appalled at how you can say, "And a truly objective analysis of what each candidate is saying doesn't reveal any more substance coming from the Obama camp." And then turn around and invalidate your own post by asking, "Well any truly objective analysis of political substance is subjective don't you think?"

And to top it all of, you get pissy with me.

I'll agree with one thing you've said:

Foxfyre wrote:
Some people don't quite get the gist of that, I suppose

I'm outta here for a while.

Please pardon my reasonable tone.

I can say it because I believe it. I believe those providing an analysis will claim to be doing so objectively--the Pew poll referenced within the discussion was certainly an objective analysis. Read all those urban legend sites for Truth vs Fiction re the political ads and/or claims and you see it all laid out objectively. But the conclusions/impressions drawn from that seem to be mostly subjective since none of us can get inside the head of somebody else.

Perhaps my perspective about that is completely wacko--if it is, I can accept that. I don't understand, however, why people, presumably thinking themselves to be so much more reasonable or objective or knowledgable and/or morally superior than I am, can get so angry with me purely because I express what I think.

But oh well. That particular syndrome also seems to plague others and also candidates for public office too. It's the other guy's sins that becomes the issues instead of the issue or subject being discussed.

Most people face to face over coffee will generally ask another person to clarify a comment that doesn't quite compute. Here people make their quite subjective judgment about the same statement and pounce, sometimes quite unpleasantly. If we could keep it all as objective as possible, the discussions might be more productive. Or not. Who knows?

And usually the judgments about politicians are no more charitable and there seems to usually be no more willingness to try to understand what somebody is saying or accept what somebody is saying if they aren't your candidate of choice.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 08:20 pm
real life wrote:
Great cartoon. I'll set it as my desktop background.

So that's how you memorize these really long memes. I knew there had to be a trick to it considering your lot's grasp of things. And here I thought it was just mindless droning.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 08:22 pm
That's an excellent & honest cartoon Cool

Foxfyre wrote:

0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 08:07 am
So....do Obama supporters want Obama to go negative now? Is that what I'm hearing?
0 Replies