Why Do We White People Dislike Michelle Obama?

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:13 am
Foofie wrote:
Miller wrote:
Quote:
what else can one ask of her?

She needs to move her mother out of that bad neighborhood, the woman is living in Chicago.

I did not know that neighborhoods can be "good" or "bad"?

Then you must be living in La-La land.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:15 am
If that's the only think in life that makes you "prickly" you're dam lucky.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:21 am
you do it too, miller.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:22 am
Miller wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Miller wrote:
Quote:

She needs to move her mother out of that bad neighborhood, the woman is living in Chicago.

Neighborhoods can have a high crime rate, but that is not what "bad" orginally connoted. It meant not "all white." It was a racist term in the days of "white flight" from neighborhoods. "Good" meant a neighborhood that was "white." The terms today might infer "high crime" (bad), or "safer" (good); however being older than yourself, I remember the origin of these terms from the "white flight" of the 1960's.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:31 am
In order for blacks to be accepted by whites into leadership roles they need to show two things; 1) that they are smart and 2) that they are accommodating to white fears. Blacks who are angry at whitey need not apply. Michelle is interviewing for the first lady gig, and she has been slow to soften her tone, which was a mistake. She is working on it, and given enough time she might one day be accepted by whites. Given her personality however it is an open question whether she wants to be accepted enough that she will continue to work towards it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:33 am
BBB
I liked Michele Obama from the first moment I saw her on TV. She is intelligent and articulate. She speaks her mind. She is a wonderful campaign representative for her husband.

Her two daughters are very much like her and her dad. They all are a credit to our country.

Salude, Michele!

BBB
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:33 am
Re: Why Do We White People Dislike Michelle Obama?
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I have a terrible answer. It's an answer I can't quite believe is true -- and I don't want to believe is true. But I don't see a reasonable alternative explanation. Racism.

Couldn't be the disrespect she reveals she has for her country. nah

Couldn't be that she was complicit in the mental abuse of her children by raising them under the racist rantings of Jeremiah Wright. nah

Nothing's her fault. Couldn't be.

That being said, I have a higher opinion of Michelle than of Barry.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:41 am
a hundred times better than listening to the hate-filled rantings of Jerry Falwell every week.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:42 am
Foofie wrote:
Miller wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Miller wrote:
Quote:

Neighborhoods can have a high crime rate, but that is not what "bad" orginally connoted. It meant not "all white." It was a racist term in the days of "white flight" from neighborhoods. "Good" meant a neighborhood that was "white." The terms today might infer "high crime" (bad), or "safer" (good); however being older than yourself, I remember the origin of these terms from the "white flight" of the 1960's.

This being 2008, you might want to avoid inferring that someone today means what you assumed[/u][/i] they meant over 40 years ago.

Movement from the inner cities to the suburbs has been taking place since wwwwaaaaayyyy before the 1960's. Cheap land for building homes and ease of transportation to work by car are the two primary enablers.

The term 'white flight' was cooked up by those who assumed a racist motive for everyone's actions.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:43 am
personally I don't give a **** about her one way or another.... she's just the presumptive first lady. She will not effect my life.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:49 am
username wrote:
a hundred times better than listening to the hate-filled rantings of Jerry Falwell every week.

Speaking of hate..... uh.....

*whispers softly so as not to embarrass username* ..........Falwell's dead.

But you can't just let it go , can ya?

I don't recall Jerry ever publishing a Hamas manifesto in the weekly church bulletin, do you?

I don't recall Jerry ever lavishing praise and an award from the church on Nation of Islam 'spiritual leader' Louis Farrakhan, do you?

I don't recall Jerry ever visiting terrorist sponsor Moammar Khaddafi, do you?
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 10:12 am
Re "white flight" not being a reality, but just something "ccoked up", real life, I suppose you're going to contend that the prevalence of restrictive racial covenants in real estate and new developments prior to and post WWII were something that, what? just happened?, and had no connection with the move to the suburbs? They were often REQUIRED if you wanted a mortgage.

". . the federal government through FHA furnished it model race-restrictive clause for builders and subdividers from 1935 to 1947, and during that period the FHA refused to guarantee home construction loans unless race restriction were inserted in subdivision deeds. Racial covenants became the fashion, almost a passion, in conveyancing, and were demanded by banks and lending institutions in all real-estate developments." (Loren Miller, California Superior Court Justice, County of Los Angeles)

Restrictive covenants weren't formally outlawed until 1968. I grew up in one of those suburban towns. No blacks, no Jews, written into the town charter.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 10:14 am
real life wrote:

This being 2008, you might want to avoid inferring that someone today means what you assumed[/u][/i] they meant over 40 years ago.

Movement from the inner cities to the suburbs has been taking place since wwwwaaaaayyyy before the 1960's. Cheap land for building homes and ease of transportation to work by car are the two primary enablers.

The term 'white flight' was cooked up by those who assumed a racist motive for everyone's actions.

I did not infer anyone had the earlier meaning in mind when the terms "good" and "bad" neighborhoods were used. I choose not to use those terms, since they did tend to have a racist meaning originally, as I knew its use in NYC.

And "white flight to suburbia" is not what I said. I said "white flight." That includes the older generation of a neighborhood that was just moving to another urban neighborhood that was still predominantly white. This white flight would dramatically hasten as a "tipping point" (a standard sociological term for such changes) of a minority population was reached in a previously predominantly white neighborhood.

You need not think the motives were strictly racial, since those "old" neighborhoods tended to have a specific ethnic flavor, and functioned for about 60 years as a village with a specific demographic. People might have just moved since they wanted to recapture the ethnic flavor they enjoyed for two to three generations in one neighborhood. But, since the 1960's included de-segregation, and John Kennedy needing to allay fears about his Catholicism, it is quite possible that that era had a fair amount of prejudice within society.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 10:14 am
Oh, so you think god punished New Orleans for lax morals by sending Hurricane Katrina, eh, real life? And tell me, I'm sure you have the inside track on the information, is TiggyWinkie REALLY gay?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 02:04 pm
username wrote:
Oh, so you think god punished New Orleans for lax morals by sending Hurricane Katrina, eh, real life? And tell me, I'm sure you have the inside track on the information, is TiggyWinkie REALLY gay?

Not to change the subject, but whats a TiggyWinkie?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 02:14 pm
Re: Why Do We White People Dislike Michelle Obama?
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Why Do We White People ......
by Cenk Uygur
[................]

Of course that particular "we" would be considered hilarious by all those Turks (most all Turks, with the exception of this Mr Uygur) complaining about racial discrimination they allegedly face from "white people" >

http://bp2.blogger.com/_5McglwwTiqg/Rvw6zhniavI/AAAAAAAABAY/NDYKplcG43E/s400/Uygur,+Cenk.jpg

> and besides, when did you come across anyone indisputably "white" who ever started a sentence with "We White People"?

Just a trap by Mr Uygur - amazing so many on this thread took the title at face value!
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 02:23 pm
mm: actually TinkyWinky, the Teletubby that Jerry Falwell decided was gay (I knew it wasn't quite TiggyWinky but couldn't remember what it was and was trying to get out of the house and didn't want to google it).
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 06:56 pm
username wrote:

". . the federal government through FHA furnished it model race-restrictive clause for builders and subdividers from 1935 to 1947, and during that period the FHA refused to guarantee home construction loans unless race restriction were inserted in subdivision deeds. Racial covenants became the fashion, almost a passion, in conveyancing, and were demanded by banks and lending institutions in all real-estate developments." (Loren Miller, California Superior Court Justice, County of Los Angeles)

Racist policies by FDR, the god of the Democrats? Say it ain't so.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 06:57 pm
username wrote:

Are you on drugs?

Where did I mention New Orleans?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 07:03 pm
Foofie wrote:
real life wrote:

I did not infer anyone had the earlier meaning in mind when the terms "good" and "bad" neighborhoods were used. I choose not to use those terms, since they did tend to have a racist meaning originally, as I knew its use in NYC.

And "white flight to suburbia" is not what I said. I said "white flight." That includes the older generation of a neighborhood that was just moving to another urban neighborhood that was still predominantly white. This white flight would dramatically hasten as a "tipping point" (a standard sociological term for such changes) of a minority population was reached in a previously predominantly white neighborhood.

You need not think the motives were strictly racial, since those "old" neighborhoods tended to have a specific ethnic flavor, and functioned for about 60 years as a village with a specific demographic. People might have just moved since they wanted to recapture the ethnic flavor they enjoyed for two to three generations in one neighborhood. But, since the 1960's included de-segregation, and John Kennedy needing to allay fears about his Catholicism, it is quite possible that that era had a fair amount of prejudice within society.

True there was a lot of racism still in the '60s. Al Gore Sr and the Democrats in Congress tried to kill the Civil Rights act of 1964.

(Yes, that's Al Gore Sr, the father of Al 'Low Negro Tolerance' Gore Jr, former VP of the USA)
0 Replies