Satire : Muslim Barack with Gun-Slinging Michele Obama

cjhsa

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 09:08 am
Everyone kills things every single day dlowan. You do it to survive, but can't admit it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 09:11 am
cjhsa wrote:
Everyone kills things every single day dlowan. You do it to survive, but can't admit it.

I admit it perfectly happily......I simply do not make a sick obsession of it.

And I was referring to the messes you have exuded on this thread, not, as it happened, your quotidian gun sickness.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 09:14 am
Uh, did you read the thread title?
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 10:16 am
Gala-

I appreciate you trying to explain your feelings about the cartoon. Do you really think it's a racist offense to be depicted as Angela Davis? Frankly, this is the aspect of the cartoon that I had previously pegged as the most upsetting...but when I cooled down a bit and asked myself why....I realized there was nothing wrong with it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 10:28 am
Been wondering why Angela Davis was ringing bills. She's a prof at my first alma mater...

Personally, the most concise statement I've seen about this NYer cover hoopla that I agree with came (as it often does) from Jon Stewart. "Here's what Barack Obama's response should be. 'I am not offened by this cartoon depicting me as a Muslim extremist. Because you know who's offended by cartoons? Muslim extremists.'"

But I suppose this is the most important important issue in American politics at the present moment.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 07:35 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
Oh TK, you are very confused Laughing

Let me put it another way m'kay ~

The only thing better than American-Americans are Americans.

Those that choose to be hyphenated Americans denigrate their own self worth.

I'm not confused at all. I'm just pointing out how dumb the statements were in relation to each other.

There is no such thing as American-Americans, and every American matters the same, even the one's I don't agree with.

Get with the picture.

T
K
O
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 08:07 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
Oh TK, you are very confused Laughing

Let me put it another way m'kay ~

The only thing better than American-Americans are Americans.

Those that choose to be hyphenated Americans denigrate their own self worth.

I'm not confused at all. I'm just pointing out how dumb the statements were in relation to each other.

There is no such thing as American-Americans, and every American matters the same, even the one's I don't agree with.

You are half way home ...
Le'me put it this way, m'kay

If you must hyphenate, be sure to identify yourself as an American-American.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 08:18 pm
I guess you're here to police how people express themselves and identify.

T
K
O
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Fri 18 Jul, 2008 06:37 am
Diest TKO wrote:
I guess you're here to police how people express themselves and identify.

I trust folks to police themselves.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:12 am
I think the term "African-American" is fading. My fastidiously correct professors are using "black" more often than not. I don't even think people of Asian extraction like Asian-American....I seem to remember reading that a thick swath of people who may be assigned that identifier saying that it groups them too broadly to be of any help. The cultural aspect of my Spanish courses really discusses the problems of using an all encompassing identifier for "Spanish-Americans" as well. This one is tricky -- all of the hyphenated choices for this group seems to pretty well piss off large groups, who reportedly prefer to be called by the country of their origin...which no one could possibly know, unless they know where the particular person was born.

I think the hyphenated terms are on their way out. Very Happy (smiling) I think this is a good thing.
0 Replies

littlek

Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:26 am
I was wondering about the radical muslim moniker attached to the garb that the cover shows Obama wearing. I mostly read my news as opposed to viewing it on tv. While radical muslims sometimes dress as his portrayal does, don't many other more moderate muslims dress the same way?

I was going to do a google search to figure this burning question out. I typed in one word: muslim. One related search topic came up: obama muslim.

THAT was chilling.
0 Replies

patiodog

Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:29 am
Given the flap over a preacher from Obama's church, you'd think people who buy into these sorts of "controversies" would figure it out...
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:30 am
Lash wrote:

I think the hyphenated terms are on their way out. Very Happy (smiling) I think this is a good thing.

+1 Cool
0 Replies

Miller

Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:30 am
I'm going to frame the cover of my copy of the New Yorker...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:31 am
In response to littlek.... Hardly the first time....

http://obamanotosama.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/cnn-obama-osama.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:32 am
what?
0 Replies

Miller

Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:32 am
I really like Michelle's afro-hair style even if it's at least 40 years behind times.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:34 am
littlek wrote:
what?

That Obama/Osama/muslim/whatever got confused.
0 Replies

Miller

Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:36 am
What's with Michelle holding that weapon?
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:39 am
patiodog wrote:
Been wondering why Angela Davis was ringing bills. She's a prof at my first alma mater...

Personally, the most concise statement I've seen about this NYer cover hoopla that I agree with came (as it often does) from Jon Stewart. "Here's what Barack Obama's response should be. 'I am not offened by this cartoon depicting me as a Muslim extremist. Because you know who's offended by cartoons? Muslim extremists.'"

But I suppose this is the most important important issue in American politics at the present moment.

Well, possibly.

Thing is, it is clever satire.....but I cannot help thinking the Obama campaign is correct in thinking it may do them damage.

Remember, the right wing machine is busy creating just that blanket propaganda virus...that Obama is a radical muslim....and Little k's experience with Google is a chilling example of how successful it has been.

This cover may well continue in the minds of the careless and stupid not as what it was, but as a vague impression that even the New Yorker said it...or not even that, as simply a powerful picture in their minds, supporting the lies of the right.

It only matters in the minds of those who will vote, and of them, of the swinging voters, but it may well end up as a destructive factor for Obama.

It's sad, but true.

I don't think it's so easy to dismiss a negative reaction to the satire as just humourlessness if you understand the effect this stuff can have on those who do not seek accurate information, or who don't get it.
0 Replies