0
   

Satire : Muslim Barack with Gun-Slinging Michele Obama

 
 
Miller
 
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 05:36 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,655 • Replies: 138
No top replies

 
Miller
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 05:40 am
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/13/new-yorker-cover-shows-mu_n_112428.html
0 Replies
 
Miller
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 05:45 am
http://www.newyorker.com/
0 Replies
 
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 05:48 am
Miller and cjhsa posted this within a minute of each other. Love it. Can set your watches by the predictability.

It's Barry Blitt, it's the New Yorker, I have a hard time getting exercised. I've seen some takes that are almost convincing that it's problematic (like this one, but I'm still shrugging for now. (Amazing how many takes I've seen on it already though. Major buzz.)
0 Replies
 
Miller
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 06:13 am
New Yorker mag's 'satire' cover draws Team Obama's ire

BY STEPHANIE GASKELL
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, July 13th 2008, 11:08 PM
Cover of July 21 issue of The New Yorker depicts Barack and Michelle Obama in extremist roles.

Cover of July 21 issue of The New Yorker depicts Barack and Michelle Obama in extremist roles.

Barack Obama's campaign lashed out Sunday at the editors of The New Yorker magazine for a cartoon cover that depicts the Democratic candidate and his wife as fist-bumping terrorists.

The magazine's editor described the cartoon, called "The Politics of Fear," as satire. The Obama campaign called it "tasteless and offensive."

The Illinois senator is depicted in traditional Muslim garb in the Barry Blitt illustration set in the Oval Office.

His wife, Michelle, is in fatigues, sporting an Angela Davis-style sky-high Afro, an AK-47 slung over her shoulder.

A portrait of terror kingpin Osama Bin Laden hangs above the fireplace, in which an American flag is set ablaze.

"The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Sen. Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create. But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree," Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said.

New Yorker editor David Remnick seemed shocked by the backlash.

"Our cover ... combines a number of fantastical images about the Obamas and shows them for the obvious distortions they are," he said in a statement.

"The burning flag, the nationalist-radical and Islamic outfits, the fist-bump, the portrait on the wall - all of them echo one attack or another. Satire is part of what we do, and it is meant to bring things out into the open, to hold up a mirror to the absurd. And that's the spirit of this cover," Remnick said.

The magazine does not explain the cover. Inside are lengthy stories that look at how Chicago politics shaped the candidate and at allegations that he flip-flops on major issues.

Obama brushed off the brouhaha. "I have no response to that," he told reporters when asked about the cover, but his supporters are infuriated.

The McCain campaign joined in piling on The New Yorker. "We completely agree with the Obama campaign that it's tasteless and offensive," said campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds.

nydailynews.com
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 06:27 am
Quote:
His wife, Michelle, is in fatigues, sporting an Angela Davis-style sky-high Afro, an AK-47 slung over her shoulder.


She looks just like Cynthia McKinney
0 Replies
 
Miller
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 06:29 am
I'm waiting for Jesse Jackson to comment. Laughing
0 Replies
 
revel
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:02 am
Like you, sozobe, I am not too worried about these kinds of stunts nor about the typical people who peddle it. In fact if the election season so far has told us anything; anytime this kind of thing gets going, Obama somehow comes out of it ahead. So; keep it up, miller.
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:41 am
boy, this race issue is a sensitive one-- i am a fan of Barry Blitt but i find this cover to be tasteless and not funny. it fails on so many levels.
0 Replies
 
blueflame1
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:57 am
Great satire designed to expose nuts like Miller for what they are. This will work in Obama's favor except with the Swift Boater vote.
0 Replies
 
Lash
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:59 am
That was rough by any standards.
0 Replies
 
Lash
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:00 am
I do think the excoriation of Miller for merely presenting the cover of the Times went a bit far, though.
0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:37 am
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/94/Mark_Ulriksen_New_Yorker_Cheney_Bush_Cover.jpg/180px-Mark_Ulriksen_New_Yorker_Cheney_Bush_Cover.jpg

The cover, titled Watch Your Back Mountain won the 2006 American Society of Magazine Editors award for Best News Magazine Cover. The ASME, in announcing the award, said that the image "evokes both the smugness of a vice president implicated in catastrophe and the cluelessness of a president incapable of stopping him".

http://wizbangblog.com/images/2006/04/rs.jpg

I bet the Obama campaign didn't have a problem with this one:

http://www.crikey.com.au/Media/images/rollingstoneobama-c781d6ba-2b73-4546-ac06-b0d8499224c4.JPG
0 Replies
 
cjhsa
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:57 am
I never knew Obama played in The Black Crowes.
0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:45 pm
I guess it's "smart politics" for the Obama campaign to whine and protest anything and everything that makes the candidate look in anyway bad, but it is irritating.
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:47 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Great satire designed to expose nuts like Miller for what they are. This will work in Obama's favor except with the Swift Boater vote.


i don't think it's great satire, at all. it's offensive. Mildew may be a nut-job, but i'm not getting at how this exposes him/her as such.

white people have completely underestimated the depth of the damage done to black people-- this new yorker cover, although meant to be satire, cuts at something below the surface, unspoken.
0 Replies
 
Gala
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:49 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/94/Mark_Ulriksen_New_Yorker_Cheney_Bush_Cover.jpg/180px-Mark_Ulriksen_New_Yorker_Cheney_Bush_Cover.jpg

The cover, titled Watch Your Back Mountain won the 2006 American Society of Magazine Editors award for Best News Magazine Cover. The ASME, in announcing the award, said that the image "evokes both the smugness of a vice president implicated in catastrophe and the cluelessness of a president incapable of stopping him".

http://wizbangblog.com/images/2006/04/rs.jpg

I bet the Obama campaign didn't have a problem with this one:

http://www.crikey.com.au/Media/images/rollingstoneobama-c781d6ba-2b73-4546-ac06-b0d8499224c4.JPG


i'm not getting your point here.

the top two are successful satire--

the B. Blitt cover is completely different.
0 Replies
 
Lash
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:54 pm
If Obama was depicted in any of the ads Bush was, it wouldn't blip on my radar.

It almost seems as if the McCain campaign PAID for that. I'm sure they didn't, but this is the kind of thing that can torpedo Obama's campaign....and it is highly racial.

I'd like to know how the New Yorker is spinning this.
0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 01:28 pm
Gala wrote:
blueflame1 wrote:
Great satire designed to expose nuts like Miller for what they are. This will work in Obama's favor except with the Swift Boater vote.


i don't think it's great satire, at all. it's offensive. Mildew may be a nut-job, but i'm not getting at how this exposes him/her as such.

white people have completely underestimated the depth of the damage done to black people-- this new yorker cover, although meant to be satire, cuts at something below the surface, unspoken.


Where are the unspoken racial stereotypes in this cover?

That all blacks are muslims?

That all blacks are unpatriotic?

That all blacks support Osam bin Laden?

That black women are all gun toting militants?

This cover is satire that is not even directed at Obama.

The New Yorker is trying to get all the nutty accusations against Obama to stick?

C'mon - get serious.
0 Replies
 
Lash
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:08 pm
Lash wrote:
If Obama was depicted in any of the ads Bush was, it wouldn't blip on my radar.

It almost seems as if the McCain campaign PAID for that. I'm sure they didn't, but this is the kind of thing that can torpedo Obama's campaign....and it is highly racial.

I'd like to know how the New Yorker is spinning this.

I was wrong. I can't justify referring to it as "highly racial."
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Satire : Muslim Barack with Gun-Slinging Michele Obama
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/20/2019 at 10:55:21