Satire : Muslim Barack with Gun-Slinging Michele Obama

engineer

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:11 pm
So what did all of you think about the story the cover was pointing to? Very interesting picture of a complete, master politician. From page 15:

Ryan Lizza, New Yorker wrote:
Like many politicians, Obama is paradoxical. He is by nature an incrementalist, yet he has laid out an ambitious first-term agenda (energy independence, universal health care, withdrawal from Iraq). He campaigns on reforming a broken political process, yet he has always played politics by the rules as they exist, not as he would like them to exist. He runs as an outsider, but he has succeeded by mastering the inside game. He is ideologically a man of the left, but at times he has been genuinely deferential to core philosophical insights of the right.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:22 pm
Written by (RL) - one of Obama's many brainwashed minions working for Liberal media.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:43 pm
http://www.tellingthoughts.com/asides/the-new-yorker-running-for-cover

The New Yorker / Running for Cover?
By john ⋅ July 14, 2008 ⋅ Email ⋅ Print ⋅ Trackback ⋅ Comment
A Telling Thoughts comment

It appears as though "The New Yorker" is now running for cover over their outrageous and highly defamatory Obama magazine front cover. Possibly grounds for a costly New Yorker payout after Senator Obama gets the election out of the way.

Below is the New Yorker cartoonist's response to an emailed complaint over the cover. It was posted early today by an Obama supporter MK, on one of the Obama site threads.

New Yorker Cover Artist's Response to My E-mail | Report to Admin

By MK Today at 2:52 am EDT

Here is Barry Blitt's response to my e-mail expressing my hurt and distress at his New Yorker CoverÂ…

I am distressed to receive your email. All I can tell you is it was my intention to depict the
hideous innuendo and scare tactics circulated in the media as the ridiculous lies that they are.

My drawing was intended to appear preposterous and ridiculous. That it is being taken at
face value is very upsetting, and directly opposite to its intention. I am sorry for the hurt
it has caused. I cannot actually believe this cartoon, which was meant to mock the bigots
and xenophobes who spread lies, will actually give them license.

I hoped the image would get people talking about the falsehoods being spread about the Obamas.
I still hope that will be the case.

I am sorry once again.

Barry Blitt

================================
0 Replies

engineer

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:45 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
Written by (RL) - one of Obama's many brainwashed minions working for Liberal media.

Did you read it?
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:46 pm
What exactly is defamatory about it, though?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:48 pm
Lash wrote:
What exactly is defamatory about it, though?

No halo maybe?
0 Replies

Gala

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:49 pm
Miichelle Obama as Angela Davis? Obama as Bin laden? It's a far cry from portraying Bush jr. as a dunce, or a cowboy.

There's so much racism--still.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:49 pm
You have been making me laugh, lately... Very Happy
0 Replies

Gala

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:52 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
http://www.tellingthoughts.com/asides/the-new-yorker-running-for-cover

The New Yorker / Running for Cover?
By john ⋅ July 14, 2008 ⋅ Email ⋅ Print ⋅ Trackback ⋅ Comment
A Telling Thoughts comment

It appears as though "The New Yorker" is now running for cover over their outrageous and highly defamatory Obama magazine front cover. Possibly grounds for a costly New Yorker payout after Senator Obama gets the election out of the way.

Below is the New Yorker cartoonist's response to an emailed complaint over the cover. It was posted early today by an Obama supporter MK, on one of the Obama site threads.

New Yorker Cover Artist's Response to My E-mail | Report to Admin

By MK Today at 2:52 am EDT

Here is Barry Blitt's response to my e-mail expressing my hurt and distress at his New Yorker CoverÂ…

I am distressed to receive your email. All I can tell you is it was my intention to depict the
hideous innuendo and scare tactics circulated in the media as the ridiculous lies that they are.

My drawing was intended to appear preposterous and ridiculous. That it is being taken at
face value is very upsetting, and directly opposite to its intention. I am sorry for the hurt
it has caused. I cannot actually believe this cartoon, which was meant to mock the bigots
and xenophobes who spread lies, will actually give them license.

I hoped the image would get people talking about the falsehoods being spread about the Obamas.
I still hope that will be the case.

I am sorry once again.

Barry Blitt

================================

It's not the face value problem-- the intent was satire, and that's loud and clear, it's an unintended low-blow. Most white people simply do not understand the depth of the race issues in this country because they've never been judged for the color of their skin...
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:54 pm
Gala--

What exactly is wrong with the portrayals from a racial viewpoint?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:03 pm
Angela Davis? I thought she looked like Ted Nugent. She's black enough in the cartoon anyway.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:21 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Angela Davis? I thought she looked like Ted Nugent.
She's black enough in the cartoon anyway.

http://retrocrush.buzznet.com/archive2007/annoying/mckinney.jpg

I really think she looks alot like Cynthia McKinney in that cartoon Laughing Full size picture of the cover art
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 06:35 pm
engineer wrote:
So what did all of you think about the story the cover was pointing to? Very interesting picture of a complete, master politician. From page 15:

Ryan Lizza, New Yorker wrote:
Like many politicians, Obama is paradoxical. He is by nature an incrementalist, yet he has laid out an ambitious first-term agenda (energy independence, universal health care, withdrawal from Iraq). He campaigns on reforming a broken political process, yet he has always played politics by the rules as they exist, not as he would like them to exist. He runs as an outsider, but he has succeeded by mastering the inside game. He is ideologically a man of the left, but at times he has been genuinely deferential to core philosophical insights of the right.

"Paradoxical?"

That's a nice way to describe a snake oil salesman.

This whole flap is quite rich.

The cover was intended to make fun of Obama's critics, not Obama. The New Yorker is hardly a mainstream magazine, and if ignored by the Obama campaign wouldn't have made this splash in the much more widely consumed news media. As a result we can probably look forward to seeing this cover on t-shirts.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:55 pm
I guess I'm the odd man out on this topic. I got the satire immediately and found it amusing. I definitely agree it failed it's objective though.

I remember getting my hair cut a few months ago, and the lady said...

lady: "I sure like that Obama, but I don't think I would feel comfortable with voting for a muslim."

me: "He's not a muslim."

lady: "I don't know."

me: "What don't you know?"

lady: "I just don't know."

me: "There seriously is no controversy over this topic, he's a Christian."

lady: "Well... I don't know."

It was around that time I became alarmingly aware of how potent this rumor had become. It's the rumor that won't die. I thought for a while that possibly the Rev Wright non-sense would mean something if the public was to extrapolate the obvious.

Not everyone got it.

T
K
O
0 Replies

roger

Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:42 am
If I favored Obama for president, I don't believe it would bother me a bit. Since I don't, it still doesn't bother me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 15 Jul, 2008 01:41 am
Diest TKO wrote:
I guess I'm the odd man out on this topic. I got the satire immediately and found it amusing. I definitely agree it failed it's objective though.

lady: "I sure like that Obama, but I don't think I would feel comfortable with voting for a muslim."

It was around that time I became alarmingly aware of how potent this rumor had become. It's the rumor that won't die. I thought for a while that possibly the Rev Wright non-sense would mean something if the public was to extrapolate the obvious.

Not everyone got it.

T
K
O

They create memes.

Like Goebbels.

It's way hard to get rid of memes.

What IS fun is that the likes of H2operson do not understand that the joke is on them.

Snicker.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Tue 15 Jul, 2008 06:01 am
Dlowan, stop humping H20man's leg.
0 Replies

Gala

Tue 15 Jul, 2008 06:09 am
Lash wrote:
Gala--

What exactly is wrong with the portrayals from a racial viewpoint?

Race in America...where to begin. Oh, perhaps slavery's a good place, or maybe lynching.
0 Replies

Gala

Tue 15 Jul, 2008 06:15 am
Diest TKO wrote:

Not everyone got it.

T
K
O

Odd man? I think you flatter yourself. We get the satire, at least in this forum. The general public is another issue.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Tue 15 Jul, 2008 06:22 am
I'm just saying. I don't think I'm unique in this way. I was honestly surprised that the irony had to be explained. I picked up on the punchline immediately.

T
K
O
0 Replies