Satire : Muslim Barack with Gun-Slinging Michele Obama

cjhsa

Wed 16 Jul, 2008 11:45 am
Obama Steers Clear of Michigan Muslims

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aErcM5VoV0jA&refer=worldwide
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Wed 16 Jul, 2008 04:54 pm
for myself, i think the cartoon took a pretty good swipe at the right wing noise machine. and the 5 or 6 knuckleheads who still swallow alla that bile they like to cough up over at the rnc.
"terrorist fist bump" ???

good grief.

people need to lighten up...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 16 Jul, 2008 06:45 pm
Gala wrote:

I agree with you on some of these points-- especially about our being thin-skinned. But this is exactly my point-- Michelle Obama as Angela Davis? C'mon. As long as you are white you will never know what it is like to be judged for your skin color. You will just never know.

I know the picture was aimed at the critics-- but it's an elite mentality and it failed miserably. They overestimated their brilliance at the New Yorker.

I bet Angela Davis would be surprised and upset by the notion that a comparison to her was outrageous, insulting, and involved a racial stereotype.

It doesn't matter whether or not I have been judged by my skin color. I've been judged for equally superficial reasons, but that doesn't matter either. This cover had nothing to do with skin color, except that the Obamas were depicted, accurately, as having dark skin.

If you agree that as a society we are too thinned skin, than put down the sandpaper.

I appreciate, far more, your elitism argument, although I'm not sure I would frame it as elitism and I do think you bring to it your fervor for Obama.

It probably is true that (especially) the cartoonist and the magazine thought they would be forgiven any possible fall out against Obama because "clearly" they supported him and found his critics (at least on this front) to be buffoons. I'm not sure that's quite elitist -- more like a smug sense of being part of the Club.

In any case whether unintentionally or not I'm damned happy that they didn't prevent themselves from publishing this cover because despite the fact that they knew they were lampooning dolts, the image of Obama in muslim garb might still hurt the candidate.

Again, the New Yorker owes the Obama campaign no special consideration at all, and particulary the sort for which you seem to be calling.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Wed 16 Jul, 2008 11:09 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
American-Americans don't judge others by skin color.

And blacks and whites convicted of the same capitol crimes have the same chances at receiving the death penalty.

Rolling Eyes

WTF is an American-American?

T
K
O
0 Replies

snood

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 02:51 am
Word, TKO.
0 Replies

dlowan

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 05:13 am
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

And blacks and whites convicted of the same capitol crimes have the same chances at receiving the death penalty.

Rolling Eyes

T
K
O

A stutter?
0 Replies

Miller

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 05:18 am
Diest TKO wrote:

When you studied the science of probability in school, did you use a race-based coefficient anywhere in the equations?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 06:52 am
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

Rolling Eyes I knew you wouldn't get it ... American-Americans are the only Americans that matter.
0 Replies

Miller

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 07:10 am
But are they better than "Euro-Americans"?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 07:17 am
Miller wrote:
But are they better than "Euro-Americans"?

Yep.

The only thing better than American-Americans are Americans.

Those that choose to be hyphenated Americans denigrate their own self worth.
0 Replies

patiodog

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 07:45 am
Miller wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

When you studied the science of probability in school, did you use a race-based coefficient anywhere in the equations?

When you study the science of probability in school, you generally assume a normal distribution of data. Adjustments must be made when distribution is non-normal. Snark snark.

The state of American politics depresses the hell out of me.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 07:46 am
I'm a ****ing American. No hyphen required.
0 Replies

revel

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 07:51 am
Quote:
The state of American politics depresses the hell out of me.

I hear ya, but then I am a self hating american al gore smoking pot hippie who should be living in canada, according to some really enlightened freedom loving second amendment advocating patriots. (Just been reading in a thread I knew better but like a car wreck...)

Sometimes you wonder if this is the way it is going to be from now on or if we will return to sanity.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 08:04 am
I say again, there ARE NO republicans in this race. This race is between a 1950s-style (quasi-rational) democrat and a 2008-style (frothing, barking-mad) democrat, or at least one of the two dems in the race knows that he has to appeal to the frothing, raving, slobbering types.

In a perfect world I might get a chance to cast a vote for president based entirely upon human factors, brains, talent, speaking ability... Barack Obama would be an easy choice over either John McCain or Hillary KKKlintler. In the world we actually live in, the dem party of 2008 is more baggage than any man could hope to carry and Obama's entire life appears to be one gigantic exercise in baggage management.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 08:29 am
I think I'll nickame Obama "DENny".
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 08:40 am
gungasnake wrote:

In a perfect world I might get a chance to cast a vote for president based entirely upon human factors, brains, talent, speaking ability... Barack Obama would be an easy choice

Have you seen BO speak lately? He has lost his mo-jo ...
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 08:56 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

Rolling Eyes I knew you wouldn't get it ... American-Americans are the only Americans that matter.

H2O_MAN wrote:

Americans > American-Americans;

therefore

Americans != American-Americans;

and since American-Americans are the only ones that count, Americans don't count.

and since hyphens are self denigrating, the only people who count are self denigrating.

and the self denigrating people are also the people who don't judge others by skin color.

cjhsa is just an American; no hyphen. Since he's not an American-American, then he can judge others by skin color, but he doesn't matter, because he isn't a American-American. He is however better than the American-Americans.

HAHAHAHAHA. Waterboy, you say the darnedest things. Adorable.

T
K
O
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 08:59 am
Oh TK, you are very confused Laughing

Let me put it another way m'kay ~

0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 09:00 am
I judge others by their character and support of the Bill of Rights.

Please take note of the USSC Heller decision. Now, if we can just get rid of the anti-Americans that don't agree with / want to spin it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Thu 17 Jul, 2008 09:01 am
Oh boy.

We need a desiccator, a mongoose and a vengeful bunch of relatives of the poor creatures cj has killed to clean this place of vermin.
0 Replies