Young cousin diagnosed with Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 03:57 am
My, er, patient goes every other week and recently had a reassessment. Which was very encouraging so this current course will continue. And so it goes.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 08:08 am
Hi littlek:

Just found this thread. I worked oncology at NIH and GWU during the 80's. Treatments change, but JPB is right about optimism for your cousin. Hope she continues to do well with her chemo. She is lucky to have you!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 08:44 am
Jespah - 5 days of chemo and one week off? Whew. I hope this all works out for your patient.

Vietnamnurse, welcome. It's always good to have medical people here. Optimism for her prognosis? Or optimism for her attitude? <I'll go back and reread JPB>
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 08:47 am
Optimism for both littlek!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 08:48 am
Of course!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:56 pm
littlek wrote:
Jespah - 5 days of chemo and one week off? Whew. I hope this all works out for your patient.

Vietnamnurse, welcome. It's always good to have medical people here. Optimism for her prognosis? Or optimism for her attitude? <I'll go back and reread JPB>

Oh no, more like 5 hrs of chemo on every other Wednesday, then going home and hanging out and thinking happy thoughts, then back again.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 04:14 pm
lucky patient. I hope L gets there soon.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 06:48 pm
Round three of the chemo is done with. Her white blood cells tanked and she got severe mouth and throat sores with a fever just like last time. But, like last time, the sores heeled after chemo stopped and her white blood cell count is back up to normal a week later.

The great news is that the tumor has shrunk from grapefruit-sized to lemon-sized. Even better is that the bulk of that lemon are dead cancer cells. Even extra better is that the aspect of chemo that causes the sores will be skipped next round.

She's off to have some vacation now (yay!)
Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:16 pm
@littlek,
Yet another piece of good news. I'm happy for her (and you)!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:28 pm
@littlek,
Good to hear; she deserves a vacation!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:32 pm
@littlek,
So pleased to hear the tumour is shrinking LilK - still sending posivibes to you and yours and thinking of you. Hugs to you x
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:12 am
Good to read that things are improving. For tumors, shrinkage is GOOD! Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:35 am
@littlek,
Quote:
Her white blood cells tanked and she got severe mouth and throat sores with a fever just like last time.

Years ago, one of the members (Andrew K) was going into business making capsaicin candy. These candies were used to control mouth sores caused by cancer treatment. I have lost track of him, and don't know if he is still in business. At the time, he sent my girlfriend a box of the candy, when she was going through her treatment. She said that they were wonderful. I found this recipe, where you can make the stuff at home.
http://www.kantrowitz.com/cancerpoints/capsaicintaffy.html
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:50 am
Hey LilK - how's you and yours? Hope all is going well and LilCuz is faring better.

x
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 08:41 am
I have no news since my last post. Chemo was either last week or will be this week. They'll try getting her to school, but they don't know how much she'll be able to attend.

Capsacin candy - I'll check it out.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:59 pm
News! L's chemo protocol is moving into 28 day cycles (5 days on, 23 days off). She has 5 more chemo sessions left and then there is a complete review and further planning (hopefully she'll be done). Her next chemo doesn't start until around the 22nd and after that round she'll have more scans to see how the tumor is wasting away. She won't be taking the mouth-sore-chemo component for a few sessions, but she will be taking a new chemo that makes her feel flu-y. Her white blood cells dive and rebound after each chemo visit (4-7 days after). Her red blood cells are low and if they drop further or remain low, she may need a transfusion (expected in the protocol).

L managed a little summer-time fun in August. She spent time with friends on the Cape and in the hills of Western Ma. She even went to school today.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:03 pm
@littlek,
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:05 pm
@littlek,
Quite a thing she's going through. Must have been a good thing to get to school..
littlek

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, must have been good to get out, period - to cape cod, to the hills, etc.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:44 pm
@littlek,
Kris, I'm so sorry to read about this. It can be a nasty one.

I was diagnosed with non-Hodgekin's lymphoma back in 1995. It was located in the exit of my stomach. I received 20 radiation treatments. Since then, I have had good checkups.

I was one of the few lucky ones as mine was caught earlier and completely by chance. My dictor was checking out my stomach for other reasones (via a scope) and found the suspicious area.

I had had no symptoms. From what I have read in the past, once some has them, the outcome is extremely uncertain.

Hoping for the best for your cousin.