Young cousin diagnosed with Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:33 pm
Phoenix's post reminded me of something important. The American Cancer Society was very helpful in being a resource and support for me when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. They assigned a person on my case, and she was available to me to answer questions and provide the necessary resources for almost everything I requested. Needless to say, after eight weeks of radiation treatment, and coming out of it with nary any side-effects, I was one lucky old geezer.

I made some donations to the American Cancer Society, and last month volunteered to be the "block" American Cancer Society rep by writing to all my neighbors for any donation they wished to make.

I was also lucky, because my sister was an oncology nurse for 25-years, and her son is a physician in Honolulu, and offered to make inquiries about my case.

It helps to have a support system, and I felt very blessed that I came through without subsequent treatment problems.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:01 pm
Pho - I see that you posted a link to the cd - sorry, a little distracted here. Thank you.

CI - support systems are good.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 09:20 pm
littlek wrote:
So, I spent a few hours with my cousin and her family this afternoon/evening.

Good for her and her family. You're a wonderful supporter. Best wishes to all of you, again.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 01:55 am
littlek wrote:
Pho - I see that you posted a link to the cd - sorry, a little distracted here. Thank you.

If you are very close with your cousin, she lives reasonably in your area, and you seem to be quite involved, the "I Can Cope" group might be helpful to you. I remember that when I was going there was a woman whose mother had cancer. She came alone, because the mother would not even deal with her own situation. As I remember, the daughter got a lot out of the group, which helped her to cope with the challenges she faced with her mother.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 04:02 am
Checking in on LilK...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 07:08 am
littlek wrote:

Both Mr. P. and me are going through some medical stuff now, so our emotions are running rather high. I was so delighted when I found out that "The Healing Journey" is out on CD, that I went and ordered one!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 07:58 am
Pho, I'm sorry to hear that you and he are ailing. Hope it's nothing too serious! I won't be that involved in the process, I think. At best we see each other 2-3 times per year, normally. Now we'll see her more often, but she lives around 2 hours away. When I go I'll bring her a pie, but I probably won't go that often. I'll be an online support more than anything else. Maybe we'll get to the phone.

Her mother is dramatic. She's firey red-head with a family history that breaks hearts. There was alcoholism in her family somewhere, her parents committed a double suicide when all their kids were young adults. After that she lost touch with her siblings. One died of cancer and she didn't know until 2 months after the fact. There are emotional issues as well. She's obviously well-meaning, but she says things that make me implode for my cousin. I know my cousin is sort of used to this, but we are all worried about the extra pressure she'll feel as her mother freaks out.

Anyway. The wig-fitting was surreal. My sister, aunt and I were gathered around L and the stylist who was getting frustrated with L's inability to tell her what she wants. This girl, at 13, has never had a haircut in a salon. She doesn't really know what words like long layers, whispy bangs, waves, ashy-blond mean. She had a huddle with my sister who lives for salon time and Sis ended up doing the translating back and forward. The wigs are amazing. The rate is based on a sort of sliding scale determined on the fly. The wig will be $600.00. The family is sending donations.

L cracked us all up at lunch when she told her balding dad he could have her wig when she was done with it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 11:51 am
Hmmm I wonder if there are medical ways to pay for the wig. It may or may not come under flex spending, even.

Yeah, the wigs these days are incredible. Should be washed specially, though, not with regular shampoo.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 02:22 pm
Talk to the local American Cancer Society.

In this area many hair stylists donate time to keep chemo wigs at peak condition.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 02:41 pm
So, a more precise diagnosis is primary mediastinal large B cell lymphoma. She had a CAT scan on Friday, no results yet. They were hoping for a 20% shrinkage after one (short) week of chemo.

My landlady works at Beth Isreal (she's a non-medical staff). She told me that after all the chemo and radiation shrink the tumor that there is a device called a cyberknife which can eradicate what's left by aiming several lasers at one point.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 03:04 pm
More specifically: primary mediastinal lymphoma, diffuse large B-cell lymphoma

http://www.lymphomation.org/type-PMBL.htm
http://www.thedoctorsdoctor.com/Diseases/lymphoma_mediastinal_%20b_cell.htm
http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/cancertype/lymphomanon-hodgkin/typesofnhl/mediastinallargeb-cell
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1358.htm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:13 pm
The tumor responded to meet the positive outcome expectation (am I even making sense?). They were hoping to see it shrink by 20% by last Friday and it has!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:16 pm
yep, complete sense. Good news continues!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:17 pm
Still, doing research online is really scary!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:48 pm
littlek wrote:
The tumor responded to meet the positive outcome expectation (am I even making sense?). They were hoping to see it shrink by 20% by last Friday and it has!

So...they operate soon?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:50 pm
no plans to operate. Terrifying, eh? They intend to shrink the tumor to non-existence, apparently. Well. That's how I understand it, anyway.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:54 pm
littlek wrote:
no plans to operate. Terrifying, eh? They intend to shrink the tumor to non-existence, apparently. Well. That's how I understand it, anyway.

Oh?

Well, news sounds good.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Lil 'k))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:56 pm
I had the same reaction - they're shrinking it so they can operate, right? Nope. Maybe there will be something much later on. I think it's too big and too trickily located to operate. Plus, something called a diffuse cell cancer doesn't even sound solid.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:04 pm
littlek wrote:
I had the same reaction - they're shrinking it so they can operate, right? Nope. Maybe there will be something much later on. I think it's too big and too trickily located to operate. Plus, something called a diffuse cell cancer doesn't even sound solid.

Ah. I just got the idea they would operate when it was shrunk from you, I think.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:47 pm
Yay, great news!
0 Replies