MichelleObama: Black and White Culture Not The Same

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:32 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Laughing You two are behaving like perfect bookends. Yep, neither woman is perfect. Fortunately, neither will be their party's nominee for President in the foreseeable future. It would be terrific if we could get Presidential candidates with no sins on their records, let alone First Ladies. If such a candidate ever surfaces; please start a thread about it and throw me a PM so I can check it out. In the mean time; I'm quite content with the contenders we have today. The news people will continue to report the news (along with virtually everything else that may improve their ability to sell commercials). I'll continue to chuckle at the opposing choirs who only ever hear half of the BS.

Just because you can't perceive the distinction doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Don't get too full of yourself as the Great Moderate.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:34 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Quote:
"It's the first time in my adult life that I've been proud of my country."

Although it's pretty straight forward, perhaps she misspoke.

Where'd you get that quote? It seems to be missing a "really".

You're right, it is.

I'm not sure of how the insertion of "really" changes the message, but right is right.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:45 pm
Quote:
The Loud Silence Of Feminists

By Mary C. Curtis
Saturday, June 21, 2008; Page A17

Michelle Obama has become an issue in the presidential campaign even though she isn't running for anything. An educated, successful lawyer, devoted wife and caring mother has been labeled "angry" and unpatriotic and snidely referred to as Barack Obama's "baby mama."

Democrats, Republicans, independents, everyone should be offended.

And this black woman is wondering: Where are Obama's feminist defenders?

It's not as though they're out of practice. In 1992, Hillary Clinton was deemed too assertive and not first lady material. Similar, and worse, claims were made this year. But just as you didn't have to be for Clinton to decry the sexism in the coverage of her campaign, you don't have to be an Obama supporter to defend Michelle Obama against similar treatment.

So I want to know: What does Gloria Steinem think? She was out front with her support of Clinton, promoting the importance of a female president. She has even endorsed Barack Obama. What's her reaction now that the knives are out for another strong woman?

How about Geraldine Ferraro, the former vice presidential nominee whose racially tinged denunciations of Barack Obama sparked a media firestorm?

Kim Gandy, president of the National Organization for Women, has said: "We're going to keep watching because we think Michelle Obama will be the recipient of the same kind of attacks that Hillary was."

A feminist ray of hope.

The campaign against Michelle Obama -- who went on "The View" this week to prove her everywoman bona fides -- has not caused a rift between black and white women so much as it has exposed it.

I've long been frustrated, as a black woman and a feminist, with our national conversation. I didn't hear the cause speaking up for women of color or for women who have always worked in blue-collar or service jobs. Choice was not their issue.

The woman who employed my educated mother to clean her house never quite saw her as a sister in the struggle for equality.

Still, I cheered Steinem when she spoke at my college. Her message could have been more inclusive, but it was a start.
I'd like a little of that solidarity back now, not suspicion because someone of my race defeated someone of our sex.

Michelle Obama is being demonized for things she allegedly said on tapes that are rumored to exist. She is a victim of sexism and racial stereotypes.

Just as the Rutgers women's basketball team was miscast by Don Imus, Obama is being labeled something she clearly is not. Her achievements are being dismissed.

But in America, there's seldom a cost for disrespecting black women.

I'm waiting for feminists who speak of second-class citizenship and being pushed to the back of the bus to remember the civil rights movement that gave birth to those words. After all, it was a black woman, Rosa Parks, who took her seat up front and pulled others there, too.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

As a journalist, I have stayed neutral about political candidates. But as an American, I would have been excited about the historic first had Hillary Clinton emerged victorious from the Democratic primary battle. Yet when an African American made a different kind of history, it seems that feminists can't share in the triumph.

They don't have to vote for the husband to defend the wife.

Okay, I get it: Your candidate lost. You're angry.

But frankly, I'm getting a little peeved myself.

The writer is a columnist at the Charlotte (N.C.) Observer.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/20/AR2008062002209_2.html?hpid=opinionsbox1
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 12:19 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
The Loud Silence Of Feminists

By Mary C. Curtis
Saturday, June 21, 2008; Page A17

Michelle Obama has become an issue in the presidential campaign even though she isn't running for anything. An educated, successful lawyer, devoted wife and caring mother has been labeled "angry" and unpatriotic and snidely referred to as Barack Obama's "baby mama."

Democrats, Republicans, independents, everyone should be offended.

And this black woman is wondering: Where are Obama's feminist defenders?

It's not as though they're out of practice. In 1992, Hillary Clinton was deemed too assertive and not first lady material. Similar, and worse, claims were made this year. But just as you didn't have to be for Clinton to decry the sexism in the coverage of her campaign, you don't have to be an Obama supporter to defend Michelle Obama against similar treatment.

So I want to know: What does Gloria Steinem think? She was out front with her support of Clinton, promoting the importance of a female president. She has even endorsed Barack Obama. What's her reaction now that the knives are out for another strong woman?

How about Geraldine Ferraro, the former vice presidential nominee whose racially tinged denunciations of Barack Obama sparked a media firestorm?

Kim Gandy, president of the National Organization for Women, has said: "We're going to keep watching because we think Michelle Obama will be the recipient of the same kind of attacks that Hillary was."

A feminist ray of hope.

The campaign against Michelle Obama -- who went on "The View" this week to prove her everywoman bona fides -- has not caused a rift between black and white women so much as it has exposed it.

I've long been frustrated, as a black woman and a feminist, with our national conversation. I didn't hear the cause speaking up for women of color or for women who have always worked in blue-collar or service jobs. Choice was not their issue.

The woman who employed my educated mother to clean her house never quite saw her as a sister in the struggle for equality.

Still, I cheered Steinem when she spoke at my college. Her message could have been more inclusive, but it was a start.
I'd like a little of that solidarity back now, not suspicion because someone of my race defeated someone of our sex.

Michelle Obama is being demonized for things she allegedly said on tapes that are rumored to exist. She is a victim of sexism and racial stereotypes.

Just as the Rutgers women's basketball team was miscast by Don Imus, Obama is being labeled something she clearly is not. Her achievements are being dismissed.

But in America, there's seldom a cost for disrespecting black women.

I'm waiting for feminists who speak of second-class citizenship and being pushed to the back of the bus to remember the civil rights movement that gave birth to those words. After all, it was a black woman, Rosa Parks, who took her seat up front and pulled others there, too.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

As a journalist, I have stayed neutral about political candidates. But as an American, I would have been excited about the historic first had Hillary Clinton emerged victorious from the Democratic primary battle. Yet when an African American made a different kind of history, it seems that feminists can't share in the triumph.

They don't have to vote for the husband to defend the wife.

Okay, I get it: Your candidate lost. You're angry.

But frankly, I'm getting a little peeved myself.

The writer is a columnist at the Charlotte (N.C.) Observer.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/20/AR2008062002209_2.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Blah, blah, blah................ Mary Curtis is a reliable whiner and upholder of victimhood.

"Label," that heinous verb and yet Liberals (as well as the rest of us) "label" others just about each and every day.

I don't at all argue with the characterization of Mrs Obama as "An educated, successful lawyer, devoted wife and caring mother," but does this mean she can't also be "angry" or "unpatriotic?"

Personally, I don't place much weight on the unpatriotic label, but this doesn't mean I can't see why others do. As far as the "angry" label, hell she's making the angry comments! If she's not "angry" we should be hearing something else from her.

Again I come back to the point: If she is such an educated and successful woman (which clearly she is) is it not demeaning to consider her comments as less than serious and not deserving of consideration?

How are we permitted to react to her comments?

If she says something outrageous are we supposed to just grin and chalk it up to the dopy wife who is not running for anything?

The Obama campaign (and Liberal supporters) want their cake and eat it too. When she's on point she is to be a positive reflection on the candidate, but when she goes off the reservation it is sexist and/or racist to crticize her nonsense.

If you're worried about "labels" then keep her mouth shut.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 05:26 am
If its not "nefarious" or "seditious" danger Finn, of what kind of danger do you speak?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 08:18 am
I guess I'll just grin and chalk Finn's comments up to the angry dopey guy on A2K not running for anything.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 08:31 am
Finn: The point be made is that all of the middle aged women who whined for months about how Hillary was treated are silient about Michelle being treated (in Curtis's mind) just as badly, and she claims it is because of race.

My opinion is that Hillary was not mistreated because she is a woman, that he was treated as if she is a is b*tch because she is a B*tch. Michelle is treated poorly because she for a long time refuse to play her role as spouse of a candidate, she did not act like she knew her place. In both cases we have a woman who is scorned by many, but the reason they get treated as they do is based upon their bad behaviour, not the fact that they have a vagina.

I don't think that what is left of the feminist movement should support either Hillary of Michelle, it is not in their long term best interests, so by staying silient about Michelle they are half right.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 10:41 am
I think Mary Curtis is wrong. Certainly, female commentators on cable news have complained about how Michelle Obama is being treated and characterized. They do see this as, at least partly, sexist. Even Laura Bush has come to Mrs Obama's defense--as one woman supporting another.

In addition, the media has been trying to drum up a "cat fight" between Cindy McCain and Michelle Obama. This too is a sexist move, that hopefully both women will be smart enough to ignore.

hawkeye, Hillary Clinton did receive different treatment in the media because of her gender. When Hillary teared up it was a big deal. When Mitt Romney teared up it was virtually ignored. And that's just one example.
But someone who feels, as you do, that a woman "should know her place" is already too biased to recognize sexism even when it occurs right in front of him.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 10:57 am
firefly wrote:
But someone who feels, as you do, that a woman "should know her place" is already too biased to recognize sexism even when it occurs right in front of him.

That about says it all, doesn't it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 11:01 am
I'm thinking he meant she should know her place as the wife of the candidate, not as the wife of a man, if you get the difference. Puts a different spin on it. I do agree with him, to an extent, as the behaviour of your partner can certainly scupper your chances, be it in the office, the neighbourhood, or for office.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 11:04 am
eoe wrote:
firefly wrote:

That about says it all, doesn't it.

If you ignore the fact that I said that she did not know her place as a spouse, I never said that she did not know her place as a woman. Also, if you ignore that I have in many places here had the same thing to say about Bill Clinton....but then you read what you want to read, not what I have said.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 11:15 am
Okay.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 11:16 am
hawkeye, you don't think it is sexist to refer to a United States Senator as "a B*tch"?
Calling her by a demeaning term to apply to a woman certainly puts her "in her place", doesn't it?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 12:04 pm
firefly wrote:
hawkeye, you don't think it is sexist to refer to a United States Senator as "a B*tch"?
Calling her by a demeaning term to apply to a woman certainly puts her "in her place", doesn't it?

And the same behaviour by a man would make him an Assh*le, that is how we use our language. Having Masculine and feminine forms in language is a very old concept, and using these words has nothing to do with sexism.

Is it demeaning to call Hillary a B*tch...yes, just as it is demeaning to call Shrub and Cheney assh*les, but they all deserve the tittle.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 01:14 am
snood wrote:
If its not "nefarious" or "seditious" danger Finn, of what kind of danger do you speak?

Well that's pretty easily answered snood, although I'm not sure it is easily accepted on your part.

I speak of the same danger for which you might feel concern if a right-wing poltician takes the reins of government in 2009.

It's a bit stereotypical, but Republican spouses don't tend to generate contraversy, while their Democratic counterparts do.

Let's assume, however, that someone like Dick Cheney was running for president. Personally, I would be happy to think that Lynn Cheney might influence her husbands thinking and decisions, but I think it's fair to say you would not.

Frankly, I fully expect that you would find reason to accuse Lynn Cheney of "nefarious" or "seditious" notions, but this would be equally as ridiculous as accusing the same of Michelle Obama.

The point is that whether a liberal or a conservative, if the spouse of the oppositions's candidate is likely to influence the, eventual, president toward policies counter to what you believe is best for your country, you will consider that influence dangerous, and thus, by extension, that person to be dangerous.

I don't know how I can be more clear that I do not believe Michelle Obama is a horrible person who holds dear plans to ruin this country.

She is, however, by my standards a leftist and since I believe a leftist path for America is dangerous, her ability to influence the next president of the US towards such a path makes her dangerous.

Or is that too subtle for you?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 01:17 am
parados wrote:
I guess I'll just grin and chalk Finn's comments up to the angry dopey guy on A2K not running for anything.

And I'll just chalk this inane comment up to someone who wishes to insult rather than engage in discussion.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 07:55 am
Quote:
is that too subtle for you?

Quote:
I'll just chalk this inane comment up to someone who wishes to insult rather than engage in discussion.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 11:14 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
parados wrote:

And I'll just chalk this inane comment up to someone who wishes to insult rather than engage in discussion.

I thought you said it was fine to attach labels. If you think "labels" are "insults" then why are you defending "labels" as OK?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 12:07 pm
Finn is a bundle of contradictions. That has to happen when one cleaves so rigidly to orthodoxy. It leaves no room for thinking.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 09:12 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with what McCain said. Likewise, I don't think there's anything wrong with what Michelle said.

Echo that and hooray for common sense.
0 Replies