http://endiana.blogspot.com/2008/05/michelle-obama-black-and-white-culture.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,971 • Replies: 160
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:21 pm
A week or so ago I read some political operative saying the M Obama is " a target rich environment" for the GOP. They are going to go after her big time, with ease, and bait Barrack. I hope that he has a plan. Not only did he do poorly in choosing his church, he also does not have a wife who is well suited for the role he wants to play in politics. This is going to be a problem.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:03 pm
In what way is she not suited, hawkeye?

I haven't been paying attention (on purpose) and I figure now it's time to start.

Per the thread, I think it's obvious that black and white cultures are different, as are German, French, Greek, that of the eskimo's and Amerindians. Is this news?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:20 pm
squinney wrote:

I haven't been paying attention (on purpose) and I figure now it's time to start.

Per the thread, I think it's obvious that black and white cultures are different, as are German, French, Greek, that of the eskimo's and Amerindians. Is this news?

she is an easy mark, Barrack is going to spend way too much time defending her, and will need to detail how his views are not the same as her views. There is a lot of tape of her running her mouth in the early stages of the primary (before she was told to tone it down), tape that will run in GOP ads this fall. I will be twisted in such a way to make it look like Barrack is either the bad black man, or the wimp who can't control his own wife. The theme being that it would be too risky to make Barrack the President.

Re the culture....Barrack's message is the the similarities are more important than the differences, that the important message is that we are all in this together. Mechelle contradicts this. Barrack has always gotten along by trying to sooth white concerns, Mechelle takes the opposite approach, she is confrontational. Mechelle's approach will not play in America in 2008, there are still to many racists roaming the country, and he will get tarred with her mouth no matter what he says in defense of himself during an election. Anything he says now will come off as looking opportunistic...like a conventional politician.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:23 pm
This is an earlier Hawkeye point on another thread, that he can't rein in and control his wife. Sorry, no link.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:32 pm
I don't know why you care about this so much, Hawkeye. She's HIS wife, not yours.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:53 pm
Mame wrote:
I don't know why you care about this so much, Hawkeye. She's HIS wife, not yours.

Barrack is our presumptive democratic nominee, he does not belong only to his wife. He has obligations to us, ones that he took on when he decided to throw himself into the ring. One of his obligations it to make sure that his wife is the the cause of all of those who have worked for his campaign having their efforts be futile. If he should become president he will have obligations to the nation which sometimes supercede his obligations to his wife, we need to know that Barrack understands this.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 04:58 pm
I get what you're saying, but how can you ensure he understands this? Is there anything you can do about it? If so, why not do it, instead of being a Miller and commenting over and over about it.

If you can't do anything about it, why not talk about something else?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:08 pm
This was unusually testy for you Mame. Where's the lighthearted, tolerant person with the odd accent I once knew?

I think that hawkeye's point that Michelle will be a problem for Obama is valid. I doubt that it will be a major issue in itself, rather that it may appear to some as a piece that completes or fits in a larger puzzle. The underlying issue is whether Obama is really what he represents himself to be. It is certainly a valid question when applied to any candidate for high political office, though some Obama supporters consider it to be an intolerable act of racism, slander or worse, when applied to their sainted hero.

The truth is that there are lots of viewpoints out there, and in some cases it will really be an element of a smear, while in many others simply a valid question that merits an answer.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:11 pm
squinney wrote:

Yeah. So what if Ms Obama recognizes that black and white cultures are not the same?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:14 pm
Mame wrote:
I get what you're saying, but how can you ensure he understands this? Is there anything you can do about it? If so, why not do it, instead of being a Miller and commenting over and over about it.

1) if we only talked about things that we could do something about then things would be very quiet around here

2) I talk about lots of other things as well as this.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:15 pm
No, ob1, try reading it again imagining a tolerant tone. I was pointing out the futility of just complaining if there was something he could do about it. No testiness.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:22 pm
OK, I tried. It still came out a bit testy, but perhaps that's just a result of my impression of you as one who looks mostly for the good in others.

I'm different: I really know testy.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:22 pm
Mame wrote:
No, ob1, try reading it again imagining a tolerant tone. I was pointing out the futility of just complaining if there was something he could do about it. No testiness.

Barrack could fix this in a day, all he needs to do is make a public statement about how his wife's views are her own, that she does not speak for him, and she does not decide what he does. Basically put her in her place in public...however I doubt that he can do this. He was very resistant to doing what needed to be done re his ex church, I don't think he has it in him to do what needs to be done with Michelle. McCain, the man's man, will pounce. McCain's attack will play in Peoria. Clinton did not have it in her to attack Barrack by way of Michelle, McCain most certainly does.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:24 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Mame wrote:

1) if we only talked about things that we could do something about then things would be very quiet around here

2) I talk about lots of other things as well as this.

I realize that, hawkeye, but at some point the repetition becomes pointless. I mean, you've made your point. Why repeat it? Over and over. It seems to really bother you so why don't you do something about it, like email his strategists?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:31 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:

Barrack could fix this in a day, all he needs to do is make a public statement about how his wife's views are her own, that she does not speak for him, and she does not decide what he does. Basically put her in her place in public...however I doubt that he can do this. He was very resistant to doing what needed to be done re his ex church, I don't think he has it in him to do what needs to be done with Michelle. McCain, the man's man, will pounce. McCain's will play in Peoria. Clinton did not have it in her to attack Barrack by way of Michelle, McCain most certainly does.

I think that's quite a stretch and wouldn't work at all. He has already disavowed his pastor, and that was only partly successful. Do you really think that adding his wife to the list will improve the situation?

You are doing a good job of prejudging McCain, criticizing him for something he hasn't yet done, but which you are sure he will do.

There is also a very real question here, and Obama must deal with it - to some degree - to succeed. His very high-minded and often inspiring rhetoric, combined with the contradictions attendant to his emergence from the Chicago political machine and a very scant public record, do indeed leave many serious and open-minded people with questions as to what he really is, represents and wants to achieve.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 05:43 pm
I think that the question here comes in part from Barrack's proclamation that he will not let his Political life harm his relationships. Well, he had to come off of that by breaking with his church because of his political life didn't he. Now we need to hear him say that Michelle sacrifices some of her rights as spouse if he takes on the obligations of President. We see that by if she sacrifices her American right to run her mouth because her husband is the democratic nominee for President. Barrack created this problem in another way by saying that the old rules do not apply to him, so now we need to hear from him what rules he thinks apply to him. He needs to spell it out so that everyone is on the same page. The longer he lets the confusion fester the more he gets hurt.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 07:08 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
... do indeed leave many serious and open-minded people with questions as to what he really is, represents and wants to achieve.

Would these be that same group of serious and open-minded people who supported the most vacuous, venal, incompetent group of people who have ever set foot in the WH, George?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 07:25 pm
Just to clarify, I DID ask Hawkeye to tell me what he meant. So, I don't think he was going on and on about the same thing on different threads.

My spine straightens, however, when it comes to suggesting Obama needs to shut Michelle up.

I doubt any of you think I I speak for Bear, or vice-versa. The differences in people, and being able to be respectful of those differences and still care for someone, is what makes one more pragmatic and inclusive. I would NOT vote for him if he told his wife to change her thoughts, words, or anything else just to win the election.

Surely, in this age, we are beyond this.

(crossing fingers)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 07:30 pm
Yes, Squinney, but HE's the candidate, not her, so it's down to him. If my husband said something inappropriate at my workplace, I would take him aside and talk to him. So I get where Hawkeye is coming from. I maybe don't like the way he says he should tell her to SHUT UP, but I get his point.

Truth to tell, I haven't been listening to her, so I don't know if she's been inappropriate or not. My other point is that Obama should be the one making the call whether she should be reined in, nobody else (as in Hawkeye). Okay, maybe his strategists should have a whisper.
0 Replies