MichelleObama: Black and White Culture Not The Same

Mame

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 04:22 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Hillary is a good example as in how she was force to junk most off her unconventual ways early into the first administration. She is not is that on the campaign trail she resisted the urge to voice her own opinion, and voice opinions that were counter to Bill's.

I think you mean "unconventional" and I have no idea what your second sentence means.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 04:38 pm
Quote:
Four years removed from running the communications department for John Kerry's presidential campaign, Stephanie Cutter is joining Barack Obama's national bid as chief of staff to the candidate's wife.

Cutter will not only run Michelle Obama's political world but will also serve as a senior adviser to the campaign.

It's a critical role given the focus already on Michelle Obama on the campaign. The potential future first lady drew unwanted attention earlier in the race when she declared that her husband's candidacy was "the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country." She later clarified the remarks.

More recently, Michelle Obama was at the center of a vicious rumor that she had used the term "whitey" in an appearance at Rev. Jeremiah Wright's church in Chicago. (She didn't.) So bumpy has the road been of late for Michelle Obama that the Associated Press's Chuck Babington penned a piece last week entitled "Hard Week, Soft Landing for Obama's Wife."

Enter Cutter, who earned a reputation as a hard-nosed communicator during the 2004 campaign. Prior to that post, she spent time as communications director and deputy communications director for Sen. Ted Kennedy (Mass.). After her time in the national spotlight during the Kerry campaign, Cutter did work as a consultant for both Kennedy and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Nev).

Cutter joins Jim Messina as new senior hires in the Obama campaign who boast long and strong ties to Capitol Hill -- a sign that while the presumptive Democratic nominee talks regularly about running a different sort of campaign, he is also relying heavily on grizzled veterans to execute the strategy.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/?hpid=topnews

A serious effort is being made to keep Michelle from getting into any more trouble....a good sign if she will follow the advice that she gets.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 04:50 pm
I saw her doing an interview with Barack. Based on nothing more than her tone, manner of speaking and interaction with her husband, I came away with the vibe that she considers herself superior to him. She does come off prickly--I don't care what color her skin is.

It's no sin. A lot of people have that personality trait--but their husbands aren't running for the presidency. In this society, if a man appears to be "whipped," it can make for serious campaign problems. I'm not saying I support this fact--but IT IS a fact.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 06:10 pm
Lash wrote:
I saw her doing an interview with Barack. Based on nothing more than her tone, manner of speaking and interaction with her husband, I came away with the vibe that she considers herself superior to him. She does come off prickly--I don't care what color her skin is.

It's no sin. A lot of people have that personality trait--but their husbands aren't running for the presidency. In this society, if a man appears to be "whipped," it can make for serious campaign problems. I'm not saying I support this fact--but IT IS a fact.

Yep, and both men and women lose respect for a man who can't stand up to his woman. We already suspect that obama can't stand up to women by the fact that he was continually impotent against Hillary, she beat him down. There will be very little tolerance for Michelle being Michelle, and she has never in her life been willing to be quiet even when common sense would tell her that she should. There is also no reason to think that barrack has it in him to tell her to do so. The best political consultants can't fix this unless the Obama's want to fix it. This is going to be a problem.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 06:27 pm
Yep, and both men and women lose respect for a man who can't stand up to his woman.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 06:33 pm
She's not MY woman as in property although she is my woman in that she's everything I want... but I prefer standing next to my woman.... not up to her.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 06:42 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
She's not MY woman as in property although she is my woman in that she's everything I want... but I prefer standing next to my woman.... not up to her.

If you think that relationships are strictly co-operative I have a bridge to sell you. Relationships are always in part adversarial at least in the sense that power games are being played.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 06:43 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
but I prefer standing next to my woman.... not up to her.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 07:23 pm
Let's say Obama gets elected. Are there those who envision Michele Obama as one day running for President herself? She then might be the first lady president; her husband getting the other "first."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 07:29 pm
Yep, and both men and women lose respect for a man who can't stand up to his woman.

1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

Hawkeye, this is a retrograde statement from you. I'd suggest getting off the roids but that's rude. I'll just suggest you have a dominance concern.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 07:32 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Lash wrote:

Yep, and both men and women lose respect for a man who can't stand up to his woman. We already suspect that obama can't stand up to women by the fact that he was continually impotent against Hillary, she beat him down. There will be very little tolerance for Michelle being Michelle, and she has never in her life been willing to be quiet even when common sense would tell her that she should. There is also no reason to think that barrack has it in him to tell her to do so. The best political consultants can't fix this unless the Obama's want to fix it. This is going to be a problem.

I don't see how it could be a problem. None of the countries Bush wants to go to war with is run by a woman so Obama should be able to handle them just fine.

Most of our "allies"don't have a woman in charge either. In the case of Germany, maybe he can just give Merkel a shoulder rub like Bush did.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 07:39 pm
I'll admit freely that a white house wife needs to moderate commentary with discernment. So does any wife or husband at an office party. I can even see it as a problem, were I her. Visit the white house periodically on days off from work, or take on a task? I might pick the first.

This is a smart woman who it is unlikely needs Hawkeye's commentary on reins. I still haven't seen a quote that bothers me.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 08:55 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I still haven't seen a quote that bothers me.

Isn't that just the plain ole truth, Osso? This whole freedom of speech thing is only given lip service by the right. They don't even know what it means.

Reverend Wright was right in most everything he said. Why was he attacked so mercilessly? The list of right wingers who have been spectacularly wrong most of the time, is long indeed, from Bush right on down to the lowliest of the neocons. Hell, Bill Kristol has never once been right about anything. Yet they keep on asking his opinion. It's nuts, ain't it?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 06:13 am
Jackie Kennedy was attacked for being a clothes horse, Nancy Reagan for being materialistic and indifferent to the needs of the poor (and her "Just say No" anti-drug campaign was treated as a joke), Hillary Clinton for her remarks about having her career and not staying home and "baking cookies", and dare one even mention the name Eleanor Roosevelt when discussing attacks on outspoken First Wives?

Even Laura Bush, who seems to be a genuinely sweet and pleasant woman, and one who has tried to maintain a non-controversial profile, has been criticized for not speaking out more and not using her position to promote more meaningful causes.

I'm not sure we really know what we do want in a First Lady these days. And, honestly, I'm not sure it really matters. The primary "job" of the First Lady is simply to be a source of security and support for her husband, to be a good wife. Anything else she publicly chooses to do or say is fine with me. She is a free citizen, she is not the one we have elected, and she is free to speak her opinions and pursue her own interests. It is tough being the First Lady these days. Any way these women choose to handle the position is fine with me. No matter how they do it, someone will find fault with it.

The topic of this thread referred to comments made by Michelle Obama in her undergraduate senior thesis at Princeton--something she wrote over 20 years ago, which specifically focused on issues of Black racial identity on the Princeton campus. It was a scholarly work and not a social tract. It grew out of her experience as a Black student at an overwhelmingly White elite university in the 1980's. It would have been impossible for her not to be aware of some "outsider" staus because of the color of her skin. Given the challenges she faced in that situation, she focused her attention and energy on constructive projects and was neither an angry radical or a particularly outspoken critic.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/06/15/learning_to_be_michelle_obama/?page=full

I think, rather sadly, that race will be an undercurrent in the Presidential election. And I think Michelle Obama may wind up being the target to incite negative racial feelings. Her formative life experience has been, in many ways, more authentically African American than that of her husband, and she has had to chart different waters as an extremely intelligent Black woman. She is now wading into relatively unexplored territory for a Black woman in America. The sharks are already circling, waiting for fresh meat.

As she appears to have done at every other major juncture in her life, I believe she will make the most of the opportunity she has now been given and will see it as a stepping stone toward achievement. If she didn't have the "right stuff" as part of her makeup, she wouldn't be where she is now.

This next Presidential election is too important to be thrown off track by distractions and irrelevant side issues. It is the voters who must insist that the candidate's wives do not become the focus of any significant attention. They will not be the ones occupying the Oval Office. If their husbands are happy with them, we should be too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 06:34 am
Well said, Firefly. And aside from all of that, which is dead on, I'm with osso. Nothing she's said has bothered me and I find her quite likable. I don't know what the country wants in a first lady, but I'd like someone like her.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 07:32 am
eoe wrote:
I don't see where she has created any problem other than the fact that she's an educated black woman married to a man who is running for president.

For some people, that's the problem. Next thing you know, she might even express independent thoughts like Danielle Mitterand or -- heaven forbid -- Elanore Roosevelt. Here in America, we don't want our first lady to be ... you know ... that kind of woman. That's for the French.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 08:13 am
Laughing about "standing up to your woman" type rhetoric. I'm sure we've all seen hen-pecked husbands getting led around by their wives. It's just icky.

I'm not sure she SAID something that would translate to superiority....it was the way she looked at him, her tone and facial expressions that turned me off and embarrassed me for him.

I'll see if I can find the interview anyway.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 08:33 am
Oh, and I forgot: she's articulate, too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 09:43 am
I don't think you have any right to comment, Thomas . . . German culture and 'Merican culture just ain't the same.

Kindly sit down and shut up.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 09:45 am
That's pretty rich, coming from a Canadian.
0 Replies