Pillocks R Us

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 04:44 am
Funny thing - I just don't feel any less constrained. Maybe it will get better as things progress.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:14 am
I was told that you dont realize that youre retired until a Saturday is just like any other day..
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 07:48 am
farmerman wrote:
I was told that you dont realize that youre retired until a Saturday is just like any other day..

Laughing Funny you should say that......
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 01:04 pm
I have a buddy who sold his practice and retired young. He says that a Saturday , to him, is a day that he does NOT wish to go forth because everyone else is out shopping and on the roads. Is your week reversed now that youve retired Reyn?

Im looking at cutting back on my practice in another two years. AT that time, Ill sell my share to the other partners and be a "part time" employee. Im looking for a week per month, two weeks tops.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 01:49 pm
farmerman wrote:
Is your week reversed now that youve retired Reyn?

I suppose, somewhat. I do definitely stay away from certain areas on Saturdays, but sunday mornings for grocery shopping is still best. Lots of folks here are at church, or sleeping in.

Movie matinees (when we go) are a good example that we will go in the middle of the week in the afternoon. Of course, that won't matter soon, as all the kids will be out of school. No time will be safe.

I hope your retirement works out for you!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 05:18 am
Quote:
Funny thing - I just don't feel any less constrained. Maybe it will get better as things progress.

Animals who have been caged for years frequently ignore a newly-opened door for days or weeks or months.

The notion of freedom is a large notion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:14 am
I've spent the week working, but have the satisfaction it's for my wife and self. Most fulfilling.

I brought home the refrigerator my bro in law handed over. We loaded it in my Ranger together, but I allowed as I could get it in and installed all by myself. Well, the porch is about four feet off the ground. I had a furniture dolly, borrowed from the apartments, and I expected the hauling of it up the steps would be routine. Wrong, I was. That refrigerator outweighs any of them we have at the apartments, by a considerable amount. After struggling without success to get up even the first step, I went in and drank a beverage. (No, not Mogan David 20/20). Finally, went back out and tilted the refrigerator against the steps. Grabbed the bottom and shoved. It slid on its back onto the porch. The rest was comparatively easy. That sucker gets the milk much colder than the old machine. Speaking of which, I did manage to use the dolly to get it down the steps. I tilted it against the truck. This baby was a bit heavier than the one that replaced it, being about four inches deeper. At first, it slid to the right and I was in danger of losing it. Had to let it down and try over. The second time, it went right in. I put it safely in storage at the apartments, in a protected place, to await Freddy, the man who hauls all the old appliances away.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 01:44 pm
Careful with that back, Edgar! :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 01:56 pm
Got to be cautious for sure, but, if I stop being active at my age, I will lose the ability to do things for myself pretty quickly.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 07:53 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
[...] The manager wept as she hugged me. She said, "I did not want to ruin the surprise, but I want you to know we are planning something for you, later on." [...]

By the way, have you had your surprise yet? A retirement party?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:06 pm
It will happen after July 17, when I take on the part time job. I am sure it will be a simple party, with, perhaps, a trophy type gift and a card.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 07:57 am
edgarblythe wrote:
It will happen after July 17, when I take on the part time job. I am sure it will be a simple party, with, perhaps, a trophy type gift and a card.

Oh, okay! Hmmm, I thought sooner than later, but nice, too.

The trophy will, of course, be for Super Maintenance Guy, and will feature an avatar wearing a cape! :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 08:07 am
I have a few such trophies. My first year, I got Porter of the Year. Later, I got framed letters of thanks from the owners. Several from the managers. One for five years service. Politics kept me from getting Maintenance Man of the Year. When we worked for a different management company, those awards went to their personal cronies. With the current company, one of the big shots does not like us, and blocks any such recognition.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 11:01 am
What you have mentioned above certainly wouldn't hurt, should you choose to try for another job in the future!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 11:33 am
I have no doubt I could work elsewhere, but I would start for less than I make now, almost anywhere, for what I do. Nice to know, though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 07:14 pm
I've worked as much this week at home as I would have on the job. The big difference is, I don't have to spend endless hours crossing the parking lot in the sun.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 08:28 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I've worked as much this week at home as I would have on the job. The big difference is, I don't have to spend endless hours crossing the parking lot in the sun.

Ah, retirement! Isn't it the best? Laughing

Tomorrow, I paint again. Sad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 08:52 pm
There'a a real satisfaction in knowing I can do for my family first, now.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 02:05 pm
Asphalt parking lots are vestibules to hell--especially in Texas.

Texas makes hot chili and hot asphalt.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 07:13 pm
My wife only lets me have mild chili.
0 Replies