Setanta

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 08:46 am
What the Hell is a pillock?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 09:30 am
Pillock
Pillock

Noun for Idiot, fool. Originally a slang term for the penis but fairly inoffensive now its this meaning has been forgotten. Derog. ref British Slang Dictionary

pillock
idiot
twat
moron
fool
numpty
dunce
muppet
dick
wazzock
pratt
retard
wanker
asshole
fuckwit
lunkhead
dummy
tosser
ignoramus
wassock
stoner
bonehead
goon
blockhead
dunderhead
donkey
spacer
numskull
eejit
dick head
bollock
nob
dolt
simpleton
twunt
dipshit
shithead
plonker
knob
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 09:36 am
Edgar
Edgar, Shewolf needs fixin of her old airconditioner. That could earn you a small fee in Austin.

BBB
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 09:58 am
edgarblythe wrote:
It's cool in Lowes and Home Depot. In Houston, if it ain't air conditioned, it won't have customers.
Hmm, so it seems back to your original plan, I guess?

I'm sorry to see that doing your current job part time wasn't a go. Perhaps it's for the best, seeing the conditions you were working under.

The important thing, I would think at this point, would be that there is no problems in drawing your pension a wee bit earlier than planned.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 10:05 am
Re: Edgar
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Edgar, Shewolf needs fixin of her old airconditioner. That could earn you a small fee in Austin.

BBB

At these gas prices?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 10:12 am
Reyn wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
It's cool in Lowes and Home Depot. In Houston, if it ain't air conditioned, it won't have customers.
Hmm, so it seems back to your original plan, I guess?

I'm sorry to see that doing your current job part time wasn't a go. Perhaps it's for the best, seeing the conditions you were working under.

The important thing, I would think at this point, would be that there is no problems in drawing your pension a wee bit earlier than planned.

I can't take the money any earlier, or I would be penalized in a drastic way.

Aside from the heat, I have one other issue that makes it time to go. They want to refurbish a property that was built in 1983 on the backs of a few maintenance men. Rebuild the fence, replace the old siding, paint evrything, recondition the interiors. In the meantime, do a full maintenance man job. I did my part for sixteen years, and now that they have acknowledged that I need to slow down, they increase the work load. I refuse to die in my tracks, plunger in one hand, hammer in the other, a whole range of tools in my belt.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 10:15 am
Setanta wrote:

I took the word off another thread. I can't recall which one, and I'm embarrassed to admit, can't recall if it was proferred by joe(you know, the wordsmith)nation, or farmerman.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:07 am
I ought to clarify, for the sake of future discussion: An apartment maintenance man can be a highly skilled, problem solving hero. He can also be a drunken lout, lazy and ill informed. Most of us fall somewhere in between. I started this job, right when I was about to turn fifty. I am not the smartest, when it comes to performing my duties. What makes me successful is, I show up; I persist, until all parties are satisfied with the result. And I am courteous and respectful. I don't gossip or prowl about their homes when in there alone. I learned my job by working with an old maintenance man, who knew a lot, but who did not follow the established procedures. I had to teach myself in many ways. I have been enriched by a constant exchange of wonderful residents, the best part about being here.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:15 am
Sometimes, you just gotta' say "Enough is enough!" I think you've hit the limit, and then some.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:18 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I took the word off another thread. I can't recall which one, and I'm embarrassed to admit, can't recall if it was proferred by joe(you know, the wordsmith)nation, or farmerman.

It was farmerman, referring to Real Life. I remember, because I thought to myself, "yes, pillock, that's a perfect term for that idiot."

Sorry for the diversion. Carry on, and remember, work sucks. Do it only as long as you have to.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:26 am
There's a man here who advertises himself as "Handy Daddy". He an independent handyman who says yes when he has time on his hands and no otherwise. While working at a neighbor's doing some repairs he explained that when thinking about retirement his daughter said, "Hey, You're handy, daddy, why don't you become a handyman!" The name stuck and he's been keeping himself out of trouble ever since. I can see you as a handy daddy, edgar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:26 am
roger wrote:
Sometimes, you just gotta' say "Enough is enough!" I think you've hit the limit, and then some.

Yep. It's way beyond time. I really think that by easing the strain on my system, it and my present protocol will have me healthy as I approach true old age.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:28 am
JPB wrote:
There's a man here who advertises himself as "Handy Daddy". He an independent handyman who says yes when he has time on his hands and no otherwise. While working at a neighbor's doing some repairs he explained that when thinking about retirement his daughter said, "Hey, You're handy, daddy, why don't you become a handyman!" The name stuck and he's been keeping himself out of trouble ever since. I can see you as a handy daddy, edgar.

I don't know. I've consistently told the neighbors I do't want to work for them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:28 am
kickycan wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Setanta wrote:

It was farmerman, referring to Real Life. I remember, because I thought to myself, "yes, pillock, that's a perfect term for that idiot."

Sorry for the diversion. Carry on, and remember, work sucks. Do it only as long as you have to.

If I only could get a link.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:31 am
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3247777#3247777
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:35 am

Thanks. May the karma of goodness and well regulated bowels bless you.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 03:05 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I can't take the money any earlier, or I would be penalized in a drastic way. [...]

Okay, so if I understand correctly then, you'll quit your current job, find another one, and then collect your pension "at the appointed time" then.

Well, are you trying out for Lowe's or Home Depot first, as this seems to be right up your alley?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 03:10 pm
I will be in both stores, as well as a few others, next week. I don't have that much 401k money coming, but I hope to use some of that for a trip out west before I become too firmly established.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 06:25 pm
I wish you well, my friend!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 07:50 pm
Life is a crap shoot, reyn. I think I will be all right. We shall see.
0 Replies