Pillocks R Us

mac11

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 03:09 pm
Congratulations, eb! It sounds as though you'll get the best of both worlds.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 05:05 pm
Thanks, mac sozobe and noddy.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 11:38 am
edgarblythe wrote:
[...] I agreed to return after a month. [...]

So, are you on holidays, at the moment?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 11:46 am
I will be on hiatus, beginning June 18th. As of now, I am performing regular duties. Had to answer the page yesterday evening and work on an air conditioner. The new guy seemed just great to me, but the guy I've worked with says he possibly doesn't want to do dirty jobs, such as replacing kitchen faucets. We plan to tell him to change the next one, and then have the boss come down if he refuses. Might as well get it in the open now, instead of after he becomes settled in a bad routine.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 02:14 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I will be on hiatus, beginning June 18th. As of now, I am performing regular duties.

Ah, I see. Okay, so in a couple of weeks.

This new guy sounds like he's on "light duty" now. Laughing

I hope the part time set-up will actually work in practice and it's just not all just all talk from your boss.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:08 pm
Reyn wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
I will be on hiatus, beginning June 18th. As of now, I am performing regular duties.

Ah, I see. Okay, so in a couple of weeks.

This new guy sounds like he's on "light duty" now. Laughing

I hope the part time set-up will actually work in practice and it's just not all just all talk from your boss.

When I told her I was leaving for good, she got a bit of a tear. Then she said I could work as little as two hours or half a day, at my discretion. At the cost of gas, two hours would be a laugh.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:44 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
[...] I could work as little as two hours or half a day, at my discretion. At the cost of gas, two hours would be a laugh.

Just how far is it that you have to travel from home to work?

It sounds like to me, you probably have your own number of hours in your mind that would actually work out and be worthwhile for you - which is?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:57 pm
Four to five hours would suit me to a tee. I live a 12 minute drive from there (assuming traffic is not heavy).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 04:47 pm
They also gave me leeway to take a two week vacation (without pay) when I get ready to travel.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 08:32 pm
Zoom zoom zoom.
Yeah zoom zoom zoom
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 10:35 pm
Where ya gonna go first, edgar? Cool
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 04:52 am
Last night I went to Lowe's to see about a new bathtub. Tubs ain't that expensive, until you figure the other purchases necessary to do a right job.

I'm putting in for my 401k money today. Since they act like it's their money, and I'm only a customer, it's hard to tell just when they will release it. I hope to motor west before the year ends. Just no solid plan as yet.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 07:48 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Zoom zoom zoom.
Yeah zoom zoom zoom

Off to "somewhere"? Hope it's a good trip. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 04:54 pm
For the time being I'm staying put. But, one never knows, do one?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 12:39 pm
My last day of full time employment was a mixed bag. Lots of work orders, so no time for visiting. Thirty minutes before the day began, a resident found me to report an injured kitten on the back parking lot. It had been run over by a car, and was dying very slowly. My guess, it could have survived one to six hours. It was very aware and looking around with green little washer eyes. There was no vet going to save it. To find a vet would take time and the end result would be the same. I shortened the animal's suffering as quickly as I could.

Then, in the afternoon, an older woman coming down the stairs fell. I saw a round spot on her forehead, but no flowing blood. The ER crew determined it was safe to put her on a gurney. I don't know how she's doing.

My last act was to assist my helper, now the lead, in putting new bolts and wax under a toilet.

At five, we said our temporary good byes. The manager wept as she hugged me. She said, "I did not want to ruin the surprise, but I want you to know we are planning something for you, later on."

My first day off, moving a used refrigerator in the house, a gift from my bro in law. Then, off to Lowes to get some stuff to fix the bathroom. The old tub has been split for some time, and my repair cannot hold forever. I may begin to wish I still got paid to do all this.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 12:57 pm
So, when can I expect your visit?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 01:07 pm
Got to sort the money, dys. I have put in for my 401k and plan to use some of it for the trip. The beaurocracy determines the time frame, from here.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 02:09 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
My last day of full time employment... [...]

Well, I guess congratulations are in order here then! Albeit a bit of a mixed situation going on here. Not really a formal retirement, but I guess it'll have to do, eh? Laughing Congrats for making it, Edgar!

I'm sorry you had to deal with that situation with the kitten. How horrible, indeed! I wish folks would drive more carefully. Mad

Quote:
My last act was to assist my helper, now the lead, in putting new bolts and wax under a toilet.

Laughing Seems rather fitting, doesn't it?

Quote:
[...] The manager wept as she hugged me. She said, "I did not want to ruin the surprise, but I want you to know we are planning something for you, later on."

Awww! I never had a manager that got this emotional about my departure! Let us know about the surprise, ok?

Quote:
My first day off, moving a used refrigerator in the house, a gift from my bro in law. Then, off to Lowes to get some stuff to fix the bathroom. The old tub has been split for some time, and my repair cannot hold forever. I may begin to wish I still got paid to do all this.

I guess this is "welcome to retirement"? Laughing

I hope you will be able to arrange for some time off before you're back at it with the old job, albeit part time.

Take care, old friend.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 02:22 pm
Well....

on to the next stage of your life.

Have fun!

We're watching you Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 02:50 pm
Edgar--

You aren't a man who expects glamour, but you deserved a little more for your last day--unless your soft, gooey heart needed a bit of hardening.

Now you can get used to retirement before your party.

You've got new worlds to conquer.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies