Obama's electability

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 02:52 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Hmph, I didn't intend a rant, but there it is.

It was a good rant.
Agreed. You're making lots of sense lately, McG. See if you can help Fox with her homework.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 03:01 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I won't give you the You Tube clip as 'voluntary' as this was him in an interview answering a direct question re his feelings about flag and country and that doesn't count in this context. But I'll give you two out of the three. Good job.

Well, thank you, teacher. Can I get a sticker?

You bet. Here ya go. . .

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/corbis/DGT348/OYF0016.jpg
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 03:10 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Hmph, I didn't intend a rant, but there it is.

It was a good rant.
Agreed. You're making lots of sense lately, McG. See if you can help Fox with her homework.

I always make sense, it's your perception that's faulty. :wink:
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 06:23 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

'reality' to me is that we are 9 trillion in debt and that has gone up by over half during the last Republican administration, who claimed that cutting taxes would help the economy. See, your side of the fence IGNORES THE DEBT like it doesn't exist. It does exist. The larger it gets, the larger the debt service payments are from our general fund, and eventually it's going to be a serious problem.

If we don't start addressing this problem soon, it is going to collapse our economy, and that will be Very Bad. It isn't a matter of which party we are talking about here, it's a matter of survival. So pardon me if I'm not too upset when I hear talk of tax raises.

I also would point out that taxation is currently at the lowest levels it's been at for about a century, at least in the last 80 years. Your parents and grandparents and mine got the job done whilst paying more then you and I are, so I find the modern complaints about taxation to be a bunch of whining from pussies who have no idea what heavy taxation looks like.

Cycloptichorn

Your tough talk on taxation amuses me. How much do you pay in taxes?? It is fairly easy to talk about needed tax increases when they are carefully arranged so as to be paid by someone else.

Obama's spending plans are estimated to far exceed any net increases in tax revenue - thus exacerbating the debt issue that troubles you so much. (The truth is that our debt as a % of GDP is not unusually high.)

I agree that the Bust Administration has failed to adequately control and limit Federal expenditures, thus contributing to the present situation. However the right remedy is limitations on spending - not wholesale increases in both spending and taxes.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 07:11 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

Your tough talk on taxation amuses me. How much do you pay in taxes?? It is fairly easy to talk about needed tax increases when they are carefully arranged so as to be paid by someone else.

Obama's spending plans are estimated to far exceed any net increases in tax revenue - thus exacerbating the debt issue that troubles you so much. (The truth is that our debt as a % of GDP is not unusually high.)

I agree that the Bust Administration has failed to adequately control and limit Federal expenditures, thus contributing to the present situation. However the right remedy is limitations on spending - not wholesale increases in both spending and taxes.

Well said sir !!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 08:31 pm
Interesting that you would bring up Obama's plans don't pay for themselves. McCain's plans pay even less for themselves than Obama's do.

Quote:
Under both plans, all American taxpayers could pay a price for their tax cuts: a bigger deficit. The Tax Policy Center estimates that over 10 years, McCain's tax proposals could increase the national debt by as much as $4.5 trillion with interest, while Obama's could add as much as $3.3 trillion.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/11/news/economy/candidates_taxproposals_tpc/?postversion=2008061113

Quote:
How the candidates' tax plans would affect economic growth is an open question. "It depends on how the deficits are closed," Burman said.

Tax studies have shown that when tax cuts are deficit funded and they're paid for by raising taxes in the future, "the economy is worse off than if you didn't cut at all," Burman said
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 09:38 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

'reality' to me is that we are 9 trillion in debt and that has gone up by over half during the last Republican administration, who claimed that cutting taxes would help the economy. See, your side of the fence IGNORES THE DEBT like it doesn't exist. It does exist. The larger it gets, the larger the debt service payments are from our general fund, and eventually it's going to be a serious problem.

If we don't start addressing this problem soon, it is going to collapse our economy, and that will be Very Bad. It isn't a matter of which party we are talking about here, it's a matter of survival. So pardon me if I'm not too upset when I hear talk of tax raises.

I also would point out that taxation is currently at the lowest levels it's been at for about a century, at least in the last 80 years. Your parents and grandparents and mine got the job done whilst paying more then you and I are, so I find the modern complaints about taxation to be a bunch of whining from pussies who have no idea what heavy taxation looks like.

Cycloptichorn

I agree with you, of course, that the only way to remedy our situation is to limit spending AND increase taxes. I am no fan of expanding the budget as quickly as we expand the receipts. And every time I hear Obama say 'tax cuts for the middle class,' I cringe a little inside. Just one area in which he and I are not in perfect agreement - though I greatly prefer him to any other candidate out there.

As has been pointed out below, McCain's plans lead to more fiscal irresponsibility then Obama's.

As for my taxes, like a large percentage of Americans, I pay 25%. It isn't a lot compared to the highest bracket, but then again, regressive taxes hit my smaller overall budget much harder, so it balances out to a certain degree. I'm comfortable paying more then that, and the truth is I don't have any choice. The bills will have to be paid either way, sooner or later.

I'm sure you aren't arguing that taxation cannot be understood or discussed, except by those who pay a lot in taxes? I guarantee you that the relative austerity of my life would quickly dispel any sort of notions about advantages to not being in an upper tax bracket and the utility thereof in arguments on the subject.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 10:21 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Uh, oh.

Looks like Cyc is giving the boot to yet ANOTHER democrat! Before long it will be just a nice circle jerk of like-minded drones huddled around a campfire sing kumbya believing in change.

Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 10:29 pm
sozobe wrote:
In terms of electability, this is an interesting tidbit from First Read:

Quote:
From NBC's Mark Murray
In the latest NBC/WSJ poll, Obama leads McCain by six points (47%-41%) among registered voters. While polls can't accurately gauge an election five months out -- after all, so much can still happen -- it's worth putting Obama's lead into this perspective: Bush never trailed Kerry in the 2004 NBC/WSJ polls that measured registered voters' preference for Bush, Kerry, and Nader. And Bush's lead was never bigger than four points.

Bush won that presidential election by three percentage points, 51%-48%.

Here were the NBC/WSJ trial heats from March 2004 (when Kerry pretty much locked up the nomination) to late October 2004:
March (Mar.6-8): Bush 46%, Kerry 43%, Nader 5%
May (May 1-3): Bush 46%, Kerry 42%, Nader 5%
June (June 25-28): Bush 45%, Kerry 44%, Nader 4%
July (July 19-21): Bush 47%, Kerry 45%, Nader 2%
August (Aug.23-25): Bush 47%, Kerry 45%, Nader 3%
September (Sept.17-19): Bush 48%, Kerry 45%, Nader 2%
Mid October (Oct.16-18): Bush 48%, Kerry 46%, Nader 2%
Late October (Oct.29-31): Bush 48%, Kerry 47%, Nader 1%

And here's one from The New Republic:

Quote:
Fat Lady Not Singing Yet (Except in California)

Three recent polls show Barack Obama in the lead. According to the NBC/Wall Street Journal poll, he leads John McCain by 47 to 41 percent.

According to Gallup, he leads him by 48 to 42 percent. And Rasmussen has Obama ahead by 49 to 44 percent. From Obama's standpoint, that's certainly better than polls showing him trailing McCain. Presidential races aren't like horse races. It's not better to hang back until the stretch. But it's also not reason to declare victory.

Before September, when the campaign begins in earnest, and voters begin to pay close attention, presidential polls are heavily influenced by overall party preferences. If one party is ahead in generic party polls, its presidential candidate is likely to be ahead. And that's the case here. According to the Rasmussen poll, Democrats lead Republicans among likely voters by 47 to 34 percent. So some of Obama's edge has nothing to do with him. It could increase or could also decrease in the fall.

You can look at two past elections where the Democratic candidate and generic Democrats led in June, but where the candidate's and the party's lead faded in November. In June 2004, John Kerry led George Bush by 51 to 44 percent in Los Angeles Times poll. He led by three percentage points in the Time poll and by two in Fox's poll. A month later, the polls showed the race a dead heat.

In June 1988, Gallup had Democrat Michael Dukakis leading George H. W. Bush by 52 to 38 percent; the Washington Post had the lead as 51 to 39 percent. In this case, Dukakis didn't surrended his lead in the polls until the fall. But that's also when most voters became familiar with him. So it's important not to draw firm conclusions from these early polls.

One notable figure in these polls is Obama's lead among Latino voters--by 62 to 38 percent in the NBC/Wall Street Journal poll by 62 to 29 percent in the Gallup May poll. During the primary, Obama got little support among Latino voters against Hillary Clinton, but these voters may be prepared to back Obama--or they may simply be registering at this point their preference for a Democrat over a Republican.

There is one polling result from which it is possible to draw some conlcusions. California's well-regarded Field Poll found last month that California Democrats, who backed Hillary Clinton in the Feb. 5 primary, now preferred Obama. Latino voters retained their support for Clinton, but Asian voters - also thought be a problem for Obama in California--threw their support to him. Asian voters backed Clinton over Obama by 71 to 25 percent in the primary. In the May Field poll, they back Obama by 56 to 33 percent. It's a small sample, but it may indicate that a significant part of the California electorate is going to vote for Obama, and that the state itself will not be in play in November.

--John B. Judis
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 11:01 pm
rabel22 wrote:
Cyclo
As much as I hate too I have to agree that the rich don't pay their share of taxes. Just as in insurance rates the more you insure for in value the more you have pay. It should be so in taxation as well. The more value one has to protect the more they should pay in taxes. Corporations as well as individuals. But since we have to depend on politicians to right this wrong I wont hold my breath until it happens.

What is their fair share?

You're not quite right with your insurance analogy.

The most significant determination in insurance rating is risk.

If you own a $2 million house situated in Upstate NY and away from any flood plain, you will pay considerably less in premium for insurance than I will if I own a $1 million house situated on the coastline of Florida.

A 21 year old male will pay more for insurance on a 2008 Mustang than a 50 year old woman will pay for insurance on a 2008 BMW.

Most rich people are better risks, in terms of self-sufficiency and protection of personal wealth than poor people. The government is likely to spend more money on people of meager means than on the wealthy, and this is likely to become even more if basic institutions are socialized.

The upper class already pays more in taxes (no matter how you slice it) than do the lower class, so how much more is enough?

Certainly the rich can pay more taxes, and if they do, many of those now considered rich will remain rich, but why does that mean they should?

It is the basic premise of the left that rich people do not deserve to be rich; that the wealth they have accumulated has been somehow stolen from the poor - as if there is a finite amount of wealth in the world and we are all born entitled to an equal share. If you have more than another person, someone has had to have given you theirs, or you have stolen it from somebody else.

The answer, to my original question, from the left is "Whatever it takes to distribute wealth evenly (as long as we get to keep ours.)"

"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 11:15 pm
Quote:

What is their fair share?

What they can afford to pay. Just like everyone else. Our country needs every cent that anyone can give it. That's what 9 trillion dollars of debt means.

Who gets to decide how much they can afford to pay? All of us.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 12:21 am
Of course Im not quite right with my insurance analogy. But close enough. The more wealth one has the more they should pay for protection. Thats what taxes are. Protection.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 01:04 am
rabel22 wrote:
Of course Im not quite right with my insurance analogy. But close enough. The more wealth one has the more they should pay for protection. Thats what taxes are. Protection.

"But close enough."

Not by a mile, but if you insist...

"Thats what taxes are. Protection."

Facile, at best.

What "protection" is provided to me (or the general populace) by roadworks, libraries, farm subsidies, a Woodstock Museum, food stamps for illegal immigrants, squirrel mating research, etc etc etc.

Or are you equating our federal, state and local governments with organized crime protection rackets?

You still haven't answered my question: How much should The Rich pay?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 06:59 am
Not all polls are equally accurate, Finn.

The 2004 and 2000 NBC-Wall Street Journal polls -- which was what my post was about -- showed Bush steadily in the lead. Kerry never led in 2004 and apparently Gore never led in 2000 (from what references I found).

In that specific poll.

That specific poll is showing a lead for Obama.

<shrug>

Not a huge deal, and I didn't make any grand claims about it, just thought it was interesting.

Showing that some OTHER poll had Kerry in the lead in 2004 doesn't have a whole lot to do with my post. The point was that this particular poll seemed to keep eventual winners in the lead throughout the contest in 2000 and 2004 -- and that this particular poll currently has Obama in the lead.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:43 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
What "protection" is provided to me ... by ... squirrel mating research...

You have to ask?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:46 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You have to ask?

Does it involve nuts?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:59 am
fishin wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You have to ask?

Does it involve nuts?

In a manner of speaking, yes.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 09:03 am
The rich should pay at least 95% of what they make during the years we are at war. After all Bush and his neocons wanted a war. The big business people have been making money from the war. So why shouldn't they pay for it. Ill be willing to pay for roads and infistructure if they will pay for this so called war against terror. However the 95% figure will be whittled down by a do nothing congress. Something like one has to pay taxes after a 200 million deduction. The tax laws are made for the rich. I have to pay on every dime I make because im not a millionaire.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 10:16 am
georgeob1 wrote:
I agree that the Bust Administration has [...]

I don't usually comment on typos, but this Freudian one is a keeper.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 11:04 am
You could read that two ways -- the boob administration or the broke (financially) administration. Either works.
0 Replies