Obama's electability

dyslexia

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:20 pm
finn wrote:
Obama is a big time liberal
jesus freakin' christ where do you get this shi*t? kucinich is a liberal Obama/Clinton are moderate magnum moderates.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:34 pm
dyslexia wrote:
finn wrote:
Obama is a big time liberal
jesus freakin' christ where do you get this shi*t? kucinich is a liberal Obama/Clinton are moderate magnum moderates.

You're kidding right?

The guy is rated as the number one liberal in the Senate by numerous liberal organizations and you want to tell us he's not liberal?

Moderates aren't arguing to pull out of Iraq tomorrow.

Moderates aren't arguing that the government should pay for everyone's health care.

Moderates aren't arguing that we should redistribute wealth in this country.

I don't understand why you liberals are so keen on disassociating yourselves and your heros with liberalism.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:38 pm
finn wrote:
I don't understand
An honest response.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:49 pm
Yes, Obama and Clinton are moderates in the US.

Kucinich is liberal in the US, but just about middle of the road re a lot of the rest of the world.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:28 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Yes, Obama and Clinton are moderates in the US.

Kucinich is liberal in the US, but just about middle of the road re a lot of the rest of the world.

Bullsh*t

Why do you people keep insisting on this nonsense?

Forget about the rest of the world. In terms of American politics and elections, it is immaterial as to how left or right Europe (because that is what you really mean by the "rest of the world") may be.

If Obama and Clinton are moderates, what are:

Mary Landreau
Olympia Snowe
Evan Bayh
Heath Schuler
Ben Nelson
Harry Mitchell
Joe Donnely
Brad Ellsworth
Rudy Guilianni
Arnold Schwarzenegger

And who is a real liberal in American politics?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 12:17 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

And who is a real liberal in American politics?

dyslexia wrote:
kucinich is a liberal

ossobuco wrote:
Kucinich is liberal in the US
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 05:52 am
Quote:
A Reuters/Zogby poll showed Obama opening an 8-point national lead on Republican John McCain as the two looked ahead to a likely general election battle for the White House in November.

source
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 09:24 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote
Quote:
Obama can be beaten on the basis of politics, but McCain will also have the unfortunate (and for him undesired) advantage that Obama is black.

When Obama loses in November I would love to be able to assert that it was a rejection of the left (and to a large extent it will be) but it will also be an issue of race.

I agree that race is a factor in this election. However,not in the terms you have expressed. The primaries have shown that whites have are ready and willing to vote for a black candidate while 80 to 90% of black voters have have flocked to Obama's banner . Yes indeed race was a factor in the primaries.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 03:38 pm
If one reason a woman votes for Hillary is because of she represents the first woman being president of United States it would not make her bigoted against males. In like manner a majority of blacks votes for Obama as the first viable black man for president as one reason for voting for him does not make them bigoted against whites. These are history making events if either one comes to pass. On the other hand if someone does not vote for someone because they are black or a woman then they are bigoted against blacks or a woman being president. This is not hard to understand.

Some people have said outright that race is a factor in their not voting for Obama. I don't know how much clearer you can get than that.

Did Racism Win West Virginia, Kentucky for Clinton?

Quote:
Let's look at the West Virginia exit poll, in which 16% of white voters (more than 95% of primary voters were white) reported that race was a factor in their decision to vote for Hillary Clinton. Clinton won with 67% of the vote. If we take the 16% at their word, all but 1% of Clinton's margin of victory can be attributed to white voters who admit that they were less likely to vote for Obama on account of his race.

In Kentucky, as Pam Spaulding reports, the situation was even more bleak. Some 18% of white voters (99% of Kentucky voters were white) reported that race was a factor in their decision to vote for Hillary Clinton. Clinton won Kentucky with 65%. Without the 18% of voters who admit that race was a factor in their decision to vote for her, she would have received only 47% of the vote.

Also; I understand that bigotry is not the only reason someone might not vote for Obama or even a majority reason; but it is out there.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 07:54 am
Revel

Am i to understand that a black voting for Obama because of his race is not racism but a white not voting for him because of his race is? That revel is a load of crap. Racism is racism whether it be white or black.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 07:56 am
Is it sexism if a woman votes for Hillary because she's a woman?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 08:03 am
au1929 wrote:
Revel

Am i to understand that a black voting for Obama because of his race is not racism but a white not voting for him because of his race is?

Those black voters have voted for white candidates numerous times before. And it's not like they'd vote for any black guy over a white man: see Sharpton, Al.

On the other hand, there seem to be a fair number of whites who will never vote for any black person.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 08:04 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
A left of center Democrat would have an 8.0 chance of winning.

Obama can be beaten on the basis of politics, but McCain will also have the unfortunate (and for him undesired) advantage that Obama is black.

When Obama loses in November I would love to be able to assert that it was a rejection of the left (and to a large extent it will be) but it will also be an issue of race.

Sad to say that there are still people in America who will not vote for a person because they are black. I don't think they are anything but a minority, but they will be enough to push the win to McCain.

Good points.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 08:13 am
au1929 wrote:
I agree that race is a factor in this election. However,not in the terms you have expressed. The primaries have shown that whites have are ready and willing to vote for a black candidate while 80 to 90% of black voters have have flocked to Obama's banner . Yes indeed race was a factor in the primaries.

The numbers, imperfect an indicator as they admittedly are, suggest your conclusion is wrong.

Copy/pasting from a post of mine in another thread:

nimh wrote:
okie wrote:
nimh, how many people are voting FOR Obama because of race, including white and black? Do you have data for that? I think alot of whites are voting for Obama because of race.

Yeah, that would be the same [exit poll] data. I went through the data for this question back up to the March 4 primaries, and here's what I found. [..]

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/3083/roleofraceallvotersju1.png

In short, race has only really yielded Obama votes in the two states where blacks made up a third or more of the primary voters, Mississippi and North-Carolina. There, blacks who voted for Obama at least partly because of race apparently clearly outnumbered whites who voted against him at least partly because of it.

Voters in the socially liberal states of Vermont and Oregon also yielded a net few votes for Obama on race, but negligeable amounts because there just werent many voters there for whom it was an important factor.

Meanwhile, Hillary reaped significant amounts of votes on the basis of race in all the other states.

In Ohio and Pennsylvania, even if you look at all voters and not just white ones, those voting for Hillary for whom race was an important consideration outnumbered those who voted for Obama at least partly because of race by a margin of 20 percentage points. In Rhode Island they did so by 30 points; and in Kentucky and West-Virginia by 65-70 points.

When you translate those leads in numbers of votes, you're talking about a net 50-100 thousand votes she won in almost each of those states from those who called race an important factor in their choice.

nimh wrote:
okie wrote:
there is always the element of [the respondents in exit polls] telling you what is politically correct.

Absolutely. That's why I believe that if, for example, one in five white voters in West-Virginia and Kentucky say they voted for Hillary at least partly because of the candidates' race, you can bet your life that the number in reality is only larger.

Blacks (or whites!) voting for the black candidate at least partly because of his race, on the other hand, is not very politically incorrect, is it? If anything, it's actually quite PC - the kind of thing your average liberal would only all too eagerly admit to.

So I think - but this is just a guess on my part - that the exit polls underestimate the number of people who vote against Obama because he's black by much more than they underestimate the number of people who voted for him because he's black. So if already now, the number voting against him because of race is higher than the number of those voting for him because of race, well... then race is probably even more of a net loss for him in reality.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 08:15 am
nimh wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Am i to understand that a black voting for Obama because of his race is not racism but a white not voting for him because of his race is?

Those black voters have voted for white candidates numerous times before. And it's not like they'd vote for any black guy over a white man: see Sharpton, Al.

On the other hand, there seem to be a fair number of whites who will never vote for any black person.

I'll leave that argument in more able hands, actually:

Quote:
The Myth Of The Black Racist Voter
By Ta-Nehisi Coates - May 12, 2008

One very foolish meme that's made it's way into the primary is this notion that black people voting for Barack in large margins is the equivalent (or on the scale of racism, arguably worse) of white people breaking for Hillary in similar margins. [..] I just want to venture a quick response.

Blacks have been voting for whites for president since they've gotten the vote. There is no question about black people's ability to vote for a white man for president. Even in cases when blacks have a so-called black leader in the actual race, they still--in crucial times--have voted for the white guy. This is why it was patently foolish to infer that Latinos voting for Hillary were racist, when in fact Latinos had supported black candidates on several occasions.

Whites enjoy no such record. Whereas we have several anecdotal reports of folks categorically voting against Obama because he's black, I've yet to hear a black voter say she couldn't vote for Hillary--under any circumstance--because she's white. Part of that is function of numbers--there have been way more white candidates than black. But white Democrats rarely have to worry about being able to attract the black vote when running for national or state-wide office, it's black Dems who have to worry about the white vote. The lone exceptions are in mayoral races in big cities where whites are a minority. [N]ationally, white Democrats haven't worried about the black vote in probably half a century.

Furthermore, the black support of Obama hasn't been knee-jerk. Whereas Obama would likely never have competed for the white vote in West Virginia, Hillary actually was competing for the black vote in several states. This Time story, beginning with the phrase "There is no doubt Barack Obama can appeal to white audiences," (Oh how things--or media narratives--quickly change), goes on to note the reverence black women hold for Hillary Clinton, and shows Clinton's support among blacks as nearly DOUBLE Barack Obama's. [..]
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 08:48 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Moderates aren't arguing to pull out of Iraq tomorrow.

Moderates aren't arguing that the government should pay for everyone's health care.

Moderates aren't arguing that we should redistribute wealth in this country.

Are you sure? Once you strip away your misrepresentations of Obama's proposals (the government should pay for everyone's health care??), I think you'll find centrist voters aren't much in disagreement with his positions.

Judging on opinion polls, they think going to war with Iraq was a mistake, they oppose the war, and they want to end it. All in agreement with Obama, and in disagreement with McCain.

They do favor a timetable to withdraw troops gradually over both keeping troops in Iraq as long as needed and withdrawing all troops as soon as possible, so by that measure they're in the middle between Obama and McCain.

Overwhelmingly, they think that upper-income people pay too little taxes, while they think that lower income people pay too much taxes. There's your moderates for wealth redistribution - in agreement with Obama.

They think that it's the government's responsibility to make sure that everyone in the United States has adequate health care. In agreement with Obama.

They are overwhelmingly in favour of a proposal that would require parents to get health insurance for their children, but would provide parents with lower incomes with financial help from the government or allow their children to be enrolled in public programs. That's an Obama proposal if I'm not mistaken; one that McCain would disagree with.

They are even in favour of a proposal that goes further than Obama's, and would require people who don't already have insurance to buy it or pay a fine, with financial help from the government for people with lower incomes; require employers to cover their workers or pay into a pool that helps people buy insurance; and expand government health insurance programs.

Maybe all this is why they think that compared with McCain, Obama better understands the problems of people like them, and why they trust Obama more to handle the economy and health care.

Basically, Finn, it looks like you don't know what American moderates want. That's fine, I dont know either, but that's why I look stuff like this up before making statements about it. :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 09:01 am
I like that you look it all up so we don't have to Nimh, but I see in the polls that the respondants were Republican, Democrat and Independents. I don't see moderates listed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 11:04 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Sad to say that there are still people in America who will not vote for a person because they are black. I don't think they are anything but a minority, but they will be enough to push the win to McCain.

That's very much how the people I lunch with up here north of the border read it.

~~~

As much as I dislike the caucus process, this is one time I wish voting wasn't done in secret.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 12:02 pm
nimh wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Revel

I don't believe this to be a fair statement.

What percentages of each population are we talking about here? Similar I would suspect. Now, owing to the fact that blacks make up 10% of the population of the US, I think you are merely using these numbers to make an invalid point. A fair number? Pft.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 12:18 pm
au1929 wrote:
Revel

Am i to understand that a black voting for Obama because of his race is not racism but a white not voting for him because of his race is? That revel is a load of crap. Racism is racism whether it be white or black.

You understood Revel correctly.

Revel's defense of black racism is very common these days among the supporters of 'Present' Obama.

James Meeks, an Obama supporter and Illinois legislator, said during his own campaign that if any white didn't vote for him that they were racist.

In this video, he calls white mayors 'slave masters' if they have black citizens in their cities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM2M11BsA3g

Of course, it's hard to imagine him calling a black mayor a 'slave master' simply for having white citizens in his city, isn't it?

The one-way usage of the terms 'racist' , 'slave masters' , etc by the extremist blacks is all the more dangerous because moderate blacks are fearful of speaking out against them and being ostracized.

This cult-like mentality and brain washing is a very real problem in the black community.

Whites don't vote enmasse.

Asians don't.

Hispanics don't.

But blacks come very close to voting as an absolute bloc. There's a reason for this groupthink.

The dumbing down of public education has been particularly pronounced in the black community and liberal politicians who control black districts benefit from making sure that blacks vote as a group with little thought of doing otherwise.
0 Replies