Obama's electability

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 02:15 pm
SUSA had him up by 9 in their last one, so this isn't an outlier.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 09:30 am
Yep, not an outlier. Just never want to put too much credence in a single poll, and I was only referring to a single poll.

It's not just that one (or just that and SUSA) and it's not just Ohio, though:

Quote:
From Chuck Todd, Mark Murray, and Domenico Montanaro
*** Now here's the bounce: A few recent national polls -- which have shown Obama leading McCain by single digits after he essentially wrapped up the Democratic nomination -- have led some in the media to ask: Where's the bounce? Well, here it isÂ… Obama is now leading in three of the biggest battleground states, according to a new Quinnipiac survey. In Florida, it's Obama 47%, McCain 43%. In Ohio, it's Obama 48%, McCain 42%. And in Pennsylvania, it's Obama 52%, McCain 40%. For the McCain camp, those PA numbers have to be particularly frustrating. And if Obama's getting a bounce like this in Florida now, imagine what happens after a few days of bad off-shore oil drilling press in the state for McCain.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 09:34 am
Saw that, Soz. Naturally, I'm ecstatic.

Civitas, NC -

Obama 41
McCain 45

!!!!

In play

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 04:13 pm
Reality Check !!

Obama Adviser: Pooh Bear, Luke Skywalker Hold Lessons for Foreign Policy.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 04:51 pm
Barack Obama passed on public financing for the general election, breaking a pledge he made last year to accept federal money and spending restrictions if the Republican candidate also agreed to it. John McCain offered to stay within the system, but in an e-mailed video message today to his supporters, Obama announced that he would renege on his offer. The reasons that Obama offers are laughable in the extreme, and self-contradictory in several points:

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said Thursday he'll bypass the federal public financing system in the general election, abandoning an earlier commitment to take the money if his Republican rival did as well.

Obama, who set records raising money in the primary election, will forgo more than $84 million that would have been available to him in the general election. He would be the first candidate to do so since Congress passed 1970s post-Watergate campaign finance laws. Sen. John McCain, the Republican nominee in waiting, has taken steps to accept the public funds in the general election.

Obama officials said they decided to take that route because McCain is already spending privately raised funds toward the general election campaign. Obama has vastly outraised McCain, however, and would likely retain that advantage if McCain accepts the public money.

One of the reasons Obama offers is that the McCain campaign and the RNC take lobbyist money. So does the DNC and many of its subsidiaries. Obama has lobbyists among his major bundlers. It's an absurdly flimsy excuse.

So too was the other major reason Obama cites in his video. He claims that the Republicans have mastered the art of the 527, which has nothing to do with public financing. Democrats have their own 527s, and in 2004 used them much more effectively than the GOP, thanks to George Soros and other big-ticket Democratic donors. This excuse doesn't even pass the smell test.

Obama then stares sanctimoniously at a point just above and to the right of the camera while declaring his undying support for public financing, which he proves by abandoning it. He then declares the presidential system to be "broken", but never explains why he hasn't lifted a finger to fix it during his three years in the Senate. Furthermore, the system hasn't changed since Obama gave this answer to Chris Wallace in April of this year:

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/06/19/breaking-obama-passes-on-public-financing/?icid=200100397x1204256715x1200176706
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 04:53 pm
You're quoting Republican blogs now to attack Obama?

You've sunk to a new low....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:05 pm
Cyclo
When you finish kissing his ring will you than kiss his a$$. Can you dispute what was written in the article. If so than do so.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:08 pm
au1929 wrote:
Cyclo
When you finish kissing his ring will you than kiss his a$$. Can you dispute what was written in the article. If so than do so.

I don't kiss anyone's 'ring,' but I call out dead-enders when I see them. You are a dead-ender, pissed that Hillary lost, and so think that attacking Obama is the way to go.

I will point out the same as I did on the other thread, that McCain is currently spending unlimited funds in the primary AFTER accepting public financing for the primary; he is in violation of the law with his own name on it. The McCain camp never intended to cut a deal with Obama in good faith, and proved it through their refusal to attempt to rein in the RNC (who McCain could control if he wanted) or 527 groups.

Pretty pathetic that this is all ya got, Au. Are you that scared of a black man being president?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:12 pm
Obama's integrity sucks ass!

That's not quoted from any Republican blog either - it's my personal opinion.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:21 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:

But since it isnt backed up by "credible sources" then according to Cyclo it is a meaningless opinion.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:44 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Cyclo

I don't kiss anyone's 'ring,' but I call out dead-enders when I see them. You are a dead-ender, pissed that Hillary lost, and so think that attacking Obama is the way to go.

Cycloptichorn

Not sure about you Cy, but had Hillary (who was not my first choice) become the nominee, I would have supported her.

What's with the people who have quite obviously abandoned the party because their candidate not emerged victorious? (this goes both ways, as many Obama supporters vowed to not support Hillary had she secured the nomination).
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:47 pm
mysteryman wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

But since it isnt backed up by "credible sources" then according to Cyclo it is a meaningless opinion.

Credible source
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 06:05 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Cyclo

Cycloptichorn

Not sure about you Cy, but had Hillary (who was not my first choice) become the nominee, I would have supported her.

What's with the people who have quite obviously abandoned the party because their candidate not emerged victorious? (this goes both ways, as many Obama supporters vowed to not support Hillary had she secured the nomination).

I would have voted for Hillary if she had won fairly. If she had gone to the convention and wrested the nomination away by force, I don't know. But I never would have sat around trashing the nominee.

Cyclopichorn
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 06:11 pm
Many of us have been "trashing" the nominee since he started running. He isn't that bad but his supporters suck.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:12 pm
rabel22 wrote:
Many of us have been "trashing" the nominee since he started running. He isn't that bad but his supporters suck.

Man!

Them's fighting words.

Have at it though because you, of course, are correct.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 07:26 am
This is interesting -- a campaign commercial where a Republican candidate is trying to ride Obama's coattails. Sure seems like this guy thinks Obama is the one with the ridable coattails...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGDJijGCeO4

Marc Ambinder wrote:
I've Never Seen An Ad Like This

Sen. Gordon Smith (R-OR) brags in a new television advertisement that he was worked closely and fruitfully with -- and the music really does swell -- Barack Obama.

Not Smith's good friend John McCain.

But Barack Obama.

Not the incumbent president (a la Max Baucus and tax cuts in 2002), but the Democratic presidential nominee.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 07:47 am
A problem we seem to have been dealing with is a stupid voter mentality. We seen it 2004 and I hope we will not see it again in 2008.

Quote:
The public's stance on the war is as equivocal as McCain's is not: A strong majority of Americans oppose it and believe it was wrong in the first place, but more find McCain better suited to handle Iraq than his Democratic presidential rival, Barack Obama.

"He's more experienced militarily," said Ann Burkes, a registered Democrat and retired third-grade teacher from Broken Arrow, Okla. "And I don't know if I agree with stay the course (policy) but I think the good probably outweighs the bad with him, experience wise."

Burkes illustrates the conflicted voter -- one who is as likely to be influenced by McCain's policy positions as by his personal biography as a former Navy pilot who spent five years in a North Vietnam prison.

For McCain, there is a major complication. Not all those voters who perceive him as stronger on Iraq say they will vote for him for president.

http://news.yahoo.com/page/election-2008-political-pulse-candidates-iraq

Not meaning to be a downer; just pointing out the weak points Obama might have in the coming election; I think it is personally stupid, but there it is. I thought it was dumb when we re-elected Bush despite being against the war knowing he was going to stay in the war and knowing all those misleading statements they made going to war and knowing just how they messed up the economy. Yet voters decided that they didn't want a mampy pampy girlie girl flip flopper who was an elitist and they didn't want the gay couple neighbor down the street to get married and they brought into the whole (though fewer brought into it than not) swift boat thing which established a tacky precedence of questioning a soldiers military honors. I honestly think the racist thing is a minority though big problem and Obama will have more serious hurdles to overcome though I personally disagree with every one of them as being bad things. I am not saying he should give up and just let John Mcsame win, but he needs to find a way to deal with these issues which would not backfire. Tricky.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:08 am
Cash is KING!!!

http://www.cartoonistgroup.com/store/add.php?iid=24557
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:34 am
Is Obama about cutting taxes and a strong national defense ??
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:36 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
Is Obama about cutting taxes and a strong national defense ??

He's mostly about raising taxes, and a strong national defense.

Though if you make less then 75k, he says he wants to cut your taxes. So I guess a lot of it depends on your income level.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies