littlek

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 09:27 pm
I am so not well informed in all this......

My current question (there will no doubt be more):

I am working in a school district which offers a summer program for its students. They already have my transcripts and old resume as well as references on hand in the main office. In order to apply for this summer job, the super asked for a letter of interest. I have that and an up-dated resume. Do I resend all the other info (recommendations and such)?

Mame

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 09:34 pm
I would. It never hurts to send a complete package because then they don't have to dig it out of the file for photocopying.
0 Replies

fishin

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 09:36 pm
I'd give them the LOI and an update resume for now and leave it at that. They know you and already have your other info on file. If they want you to update it they'll ask for it! Wink

One thing you may have to get used to is that you'll be dealing mostly with goobermint agencies now. Things like an LOI are often just a detail in an established process. In many cases you'll find that no one really cares about the detail but they have to go through the motions because of some legal or contractual (Damned teacher's unions! Razz ) reason.
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 09:49 pm
Hmmmm... one for the whole package and one not. I tend to think like fishin. But, I guess since I have to reco.s........
0 Replies

fishin

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 09:51 pm
Don't make me hurt you! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 10:04 pm
Why for saying I think like you?

As for the whole goober mint thing - this is why I did NOT go into teaching until now. I am thinking I can handle it better now than I could have in my younger days.
0 Replies

fishin

Fri 4 Apr, 2008 07:02 am
You'll get the hang of it in no time. It's not terrible. You just have to get into the mindset that "going the extra mile" isn't going to be rewarded and that the "machine" of government tends to create a lot of stuff that seems to be useless (all of it it isn't! But sometimes it is hard to see the reasons for things...).

Working within the government you'll find that everything is about processes. And people get their feathers ruffled if you upset their process regardless of how good your intentions may be. In many cases, those processes are the only thing that justifies that person's job so they take it very seriously! Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:45 pm
machine......process...........got it.

You seem to be right about the extra mile thing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:08 pm
I'm with send the whole shebang.

Also, don't you now have a new reference?
0 Replies

littlek

Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:18 pm
I did send the whole packet. There was one new reference.
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 4 May, 2008 05:11 pm
Continuation of the last process:
It's been nearly a month since I sent in my application for summer work, and I've heard nothing back. I handed it to the secretary, so I know they got the paperwork. Should I call and ask about it? Should I quiz the teachers in the lunchroom about protocol?

Next process: I am applying to the same district for a position next year.
I re-updated my resume
I requested official transcripts from my college and university
I am trying to figure out if I am settled with the DOE, but that website is mammoth and not user friendly.

I suppose a trip to the university is in order. I hope someone can help me without an appointment because I have a half-day tomorrow and can actually catch people still there if I arrive before 4pm.
0 Replies

quinn1

Mon 5 May, 2008 12:50 pm
I would ask others for their input and then make my decision. I don't think it hurts to ask. You could always ask the secretary when you might hear back.

Good Luck!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Mon 5 May, 2008 12:53 pm
Good luck!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Mon 5 May, 2008 01:01 pm
Good luck, littleK. May this be the last time you have to work the maze.
0 Replies

Chumly

Mon 5 May, 2008 01:15 pm
Hi-yah littlek,

I sympathize, as I have been offered a position teaching fledgling electricians with the province's largest technical institution, while at the same time I quit my electrician position with the large aerospace firm and went with a shipyard electrician position.

Paperwork can fly around in abundance especially since the three aforementioned positions are represented by three separate unions.

Resumes / references need to be kept up to date. I have a simple rule of supplying everything up to date always. I carry my laptop wherever I go and its got everything all spiffy and current, all diplomas and certificates scanned in etc. I can print pretty much anything to any USB printer and/or supply via Wifi / Ethernet.

If you go a similar route of portable thoroughness, you cannot go to far wrong!
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 5 May, 2008 01:36 pm
edit
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 5 May, 2008 01:54 pm
I spoke with the secretary today after catching her on the fly. She said no one had been short listed yet for the summer positions. So, no news means nothing on that front.

She also said that resubmitting full packets is essential because the packets may go to various schools or departments and not stay in the central office.

Both good to know.

I checked with my university and (after 6 different phone numbers) found that when they submit my paper work to the department of education, I should be all set. That will happen within a week. Then the DOE will take it's time updating my info online and an even longer time (up to six months) issuing me a license.

In the mean time, a letter from the university will assure potential employers that I am good to go (or so the theory goes).
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 5 May, 2008 01:55 pm
Thanks all for popping in.

Linkat, you know you could have deleted your post? Now I am curious as to what you had said.....
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 5 May, 2008 02:48 pm
littlek wrote:
Thanks all for popping in.

Linkat, you know you could have deleted your post? Now I am curious as to what you had said.....

I was answering the first question and then realized this was question was asked about a million days ago.

I am too stupid to figure out something so simple as delete.
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 5 May, 2008 02:50 pm
Ha! No you're not.
0 Replies