Thomas

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 02:08 pm
@littlek,
Now that was mean, littlek! You just had to break the news just when I was getting ready to board a plane to Germany, didn't you. That way I had to learn it days after everybody else!

But if you think this sneaky maneuver will make me any less proud of you, and that you will somehow escape the big bear hug I'm hereby giving you, you are grossly mistaken. Great job, in multiple ways!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 02:29 pm
Good news, LittleK. Now you get to look forward to that dreaded first day on the job all over again. <wicked grin>
littlek

Sun 31 Aug, 2008 02:35 pm
@Foxfyre,
I am way too busy to be dreading the first day. I am trying to figure out what to bring and what to leave at home. I should be able to use the SpEd teacher's stuff, mostly.

Must read IEPs......
Thomas

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:10 pm
@littlek,
I just surfed into your profile, and noticed a very happy mistake in it:

You are no longer a "semi" expert on elementary education!
littlek

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:21 pm
@Thomas,
I have updated my profile - it takes years to be an expert at teaching.
mac11

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:47 pm
@littlek,
K, your occupation line makes me smile.
littlek

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:48 pm
@mac11,
My occupation line?

(edit: ah! That O L )
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:48 pm
@littlek,
Well, whatever level of modesty you're comfortable with. I think you've earned more bragging rights than you're using, but if you want hold yourself to high standards, far be it from me to stop you.

Good luck with your start tomorrow!
littlek

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:50 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas..... Semi-expert will do.

Tomorrow is a teacher day. We all gather the day beofre school and practice getting up early again.
Slappy Doo Hoo

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:09 pm
@littlek,
Awesome, big congratulations to you. Where is it? Or do I have to go back and read?

(Told ya' you'd find a job!)
littlek

Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:15 pm
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
In the same district, but in middle school.
0 Replies

littlek

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 02:56 pm
I need to vent. No one is home and I have to bitch a little before I make a phone call. I tried to vent at my mom, but she isn't very good at getting vented at.

So, remember how I was supposed to sign a contract a week ago Tuesday? And how I had to wait until Thursday because there were some problems with my paperwork (my name was misspelled). Well, it seems I missed the payroll cut off because of it. So, last week we, all of us new hires, were told that we'd be getting our first paycheck today. So, I relaxed my harsh spending limits a little, expecting at least a couple hundred for the time spent at training and prep time. I didn't get one. I have 245 bucks in the bank and 315 incoming for yard work. I'll be short for rent and I owe Dasha 75. And I won't be paid until the 17th - 2 weeks from now. Luckily, some of my more liberal spending was on food staples I'd eaten through this August.

So, now I have to call the woman who hired me to ask for the check she owes me (since the start of last week). I'm pissy because I would have had enough for rent had I gotten my paycheck today. I need to not piss her off.
roger

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:08 pm
@littlek,
Then try to go through whatever they use for a payroll department, rather than the woman who hired you. They probably do have provision for a one time payroll advance for cases like this. They probably do not have provision for a regular payroll check at this time, so don't push hard for that. I did payroll for years, and this seems to be the common system.
dagmaraka

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:16 pm
@littlek,
I can wait... get paid first.
0 Replies

Thomas

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:33 pm
@littlek,
Good luck with the phone call! I hope more venting won't become necessary, but I'll keep listening in just in case it does.

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem when I arrived in New Jersey, and it was resolved along the lines Roger described.
0 Replies

littlek

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:05 pm
@roger,
Roger - I did. Payroll seemed very apologetic as I nearly fainted, but didn't offer any alternatives. I thought about going back and asking if there was no other way, but didn't.

D - I'll i'll send it as soon as I have it. Sorry!
ehBeth

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:16 pm
@littlek,
They're unlikely to offer - extra work, y'know - but they can often prepare a manual cheque to get you going - but you've got to ask.
littlek

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:33 pm
@ehBeth,
The land lady just offered me an extension for the full amount of my rent - for being such a good tenant. Like Dasha's mom (or grandma) says, there are nice people every where. So, I get to keep my few hundred for food and such until I get paid.

Phew!
mac11

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 08:00 pm
@littlek,
Wow, there are nice people everywhere. I'm glad your landlady appreciates you!
0 Replies

jespah

Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:49 am
Oh man not a happy speed bump.