OMG! Is It Possible?

Setanta

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:28 am
I found Mystery Science Theater annoying . . . i was happy to see the old SF films which were so bad they were good, but the running commentary really irked me. I gave it up as a bad bet. I've always been happier when i've drastically reduced or eliminated teevee from my life.

Bears, too . . . the fewer bears in our neighborhood, the better i feel . . .
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:30 am
the noble and tenacious bear cannot be eliminated nor driven away... we are as steady and inevitable as the passing of time...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:32 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Mystery Science Theater... a boring nothing little cult following show... sort of more sub pop culture....

I guess it would be boring to someone who wasn't able to understand the mostly obscure (to the typical slob) references that were the gist of the jokes on the program.

Yeah, you're totally right! Why, if I weren't so smart, I'd never be able to understand all the hilarious obscure references in this clip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BOCqlKNW9rU

Ooh, that joke about merging! My sides are splitting! And the one about 3M! I'm gonna plotz!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:33 am
Re: OMG! Is It Possible?
Magginkat wrote:
I don't like that big smiling con artist....didn't like him the first time I saw him

Says it all really...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:33 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Mystery Science Theater... a boring nothing little cult following show... sort of more sub pop culture....

I guess it would be boring to someone who wasn't able to understand the mostly obscure (to the typical slob) references that were the gist of the jokes on the program.

I'm sure Mystery Science Theatre has a devoted core of viewers who might think that its hosts are households names and faces for anyone who marginally keeps up with popular culture. Doesn't make it true, though. and fascinating and funny to one may be boring and insipid to another - doesn't make anyone any more or less hip - just different strokes.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:36 am
kickycan wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Yeah, you're totally right! Why, if I weren't so smart, I'd never be able to understand all the hilarious obscure references in this clip.

Ooh, that joke about merging! My sides are splitting! And the one about 3M! I'm gonna plotz!

LOL You had to pull up a YOUTUBE clip to try to find out what the show is about and then you judge it based upon ONE CLIP. The fact is that many of the quips were very obscure and anyone familiar with the show would never dispute this. I just can't understand why people wear ignorance as a Badge of Courage.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:37 am
snood wrote:
boring and insipid

This says it all about Mystery Science Theater. Too bad there isn't a venue to see bad SF films without the useless gab.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:40 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
yes indeed... way to deep for me...it would take an intellectual Obama disciple to truly grasp such cutting edge humour... Laughing

maporsche wrote:
Oh....it's one of those "if you don't like the show, or don't find it funny, you're just not smart enough to understand" type of shows. Is this an Obama thing?

No, it's a Roxxxanne thing.

Count me nonplussed that one stupid Roxxxanne post can have both you and BPB make generalisations about what Obama supporters are like, but that a dozen reasonable Sozobe, FreeDuck or Engineer posts never seem to be taken to mean anything about Obama supporters.

I think you two just have a preconception about Obama supporters that you will accept any slightest illustration of as evidence, while you'll instinctively dismiss any volume of counterexamples immediately. Fine, but then the observation says nothing about anything except your own predisposition.

I mean, come on, once you're describing Roxxxanne as representative example of anything, you're out on a limb, right?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:41 am
snood wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I'm sure Mystery Science Theatre has a devoted core of viewers who might think that its hosts are households names and faces for anyone who marginally keeps up with popular culture. Doesn't make it true, though. and fascinating and funny to one may be boring and insipid to another - doesn't make anyone any more or less hip - just different strokes.

It is pretty hard to be well-informed and not have known what MST3K is. I am sure there are legions of intelligent, well read people who detest MST3K. (OTOH any intelligent, well-informed person should be aware of it's existence) I didn't mean to paint everyone with this brush. My comments were directed at BPB and in his case, I am confident that it is his inability to get the jokes as the reason he found it boring.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:41 am
nimh wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
yes indeed... way to deep for me...it would take an intellectual Obama disciple to truly grasp such cutting edge humour... Laughing

maporsche wrote:
Oh....it's one of those "if you don't like the show, or don't find it funny, you're just not smart enough to understand" type of shows. Is this an Obama thing?

Count me nonplussed that one stupid Roxxxanne post can have both you and BPB make generalisations about what Obama supporters are like, but that a dozen reasonable Sozobe, FreeDuck or Engineer posts never seem to be taken to mean anything about Obama supporters.

I think you two just have a preconception about Obama supporters that you will accept any slightest illustration of as evidence, while you'll instinctively dismiss any volume of counterexamples immediately. Fine, but then the observation says nothing about anything except your own predisposition.

I mean, come on, once you're describing Roxxxanne as representative example of anything, you're out on a limb, right?

oh for God's sake calm down... it was a jokey remark directed at the poster...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:43 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

LOL You had to pull up a YOUTUBE clip to try to find out what the show is about and then you judge it based upon ONE CLIP. The fact is that many of the quips were very obscure and anyone familiar with the show would never dispute this. I just can't understand why people wear ignorance as a Badge of Courage.

Actually, I know the show, and I've seen it before. I just thought it was stupid. And I think this clip bears my point out. But of course, it was a huge hit with a lot of arrogant, socially-retarded morons. You are representing your people well.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:44 am
nimh wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Like your POV is representative of anything?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:46 am
I am actually a little uncomfortable here... the cocoon of good vibes and agape love that has wrapped around this thread is a little TOO warm... I may have to turn on the ac....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:49 am
Roxxxanne wrote:

Nope.

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Yeah but Bear, you do this all the effin time tho... and then on unrelated threads you go on this tears about how "Obama supporters" in general are arrogant smug so-and-so's... I mean, come on already.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:49 am
I think the burden of Habibi's post zipped right over Roxxxxxxy's head . . .
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:50 am
nimh wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

Nope.

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Yeah but Bear, you do this all the effin time tho... and then on unrelated threads you go on this tears about how "Obama supporters" in general are arrogant smug so-and-so's... I mean, come on already.

you guys play your games..... I play mine....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:51 am
In general tho I'm appreciating a thread that ended up in everyone firing at everyone, rather than just one camp at another.. less boring this way Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

now you're talking.... keep it light... :wink:
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

I hate to belabor the point but I am geting annoyed by the misogynist attacks.

MST3K obscure references

Annotated guides to MST3K explain the obscure references
Submitted by Capt. Xerox on December 5, 2006 - 10:30pm.

MST3KMystery Science Theater 3000 has a cult following, but like all things cultish, it's an acquired taste. I think you either love it or hate it. In case you're unfamiliar with the show, the basic premise is each episode features an incredibly bad B movie, typically a science fiction movie or monster flick. You are watching the movie with a janitor stuck on a space station being forced to watch bad movies with some sidekick robots. They all wise-crack throughout the film. It's kind of like watching bad movies with your geeky friends.

These guys spit out the quips at a machine-gun pace and a lot of them are obscure references that go over the head of many viewers. Fortunately, there are annotations on the web that explain those references so you won't feel so stupid.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:53 am
I shall give this valuable reference post all the attention it deserves i assure you, and thank you for helping in my continuing quest for adult education.
0 Replies