Europe's Anti-American Obsession

Foofie

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 10:12 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Foofie wrote:
I thought Europeans just thought most Americans are cowboys strumming a guitar and riding a horse into a beautiful sunset?

But, what is interesting, I think, is that when so many Europeans visit the United States it is a visit to mostly Manhattan. Now Manhattan is an island off the coast of the United States. These tourist do not usually go to any of the other four boroughs, that comprise NYC. Possibly they take a day trip up the Hudson River, but that might be unusual?

The reason Europeans get marooned in NYC is because, unlike Europe, we have no frikkin' public transportation. You can't go an hour away from the city without needing a car to get or from a bus or train. You can end up stranded in Westchester or Teaneck fairly easy. I have travelled from London to Brughe to Paris to Rome to Milan and back up to Basil etc., and many dinky places in between, without ever needing to rent a car.

As for the boroughs - many tourists do visit the botanical gardens and various museums, despite Americans insisting all their subway signs be in English with little (if any} international symbols. America is not a user friendly place for people trying to be tourists.

One can travel between cities on AMTRAK. But, many tourists, I believe, are quite content to see NYC, strain their necks looking up at the tall buildings, see Times Square, Wall Street, Central Park, and that's America to more than a few tourists. If they saw it in a movie, then they are seeing America. Younger tourists might just be more adventuresome? But, part of the enticement for more mature tourists, I believe, is the hotel accomodations and NYC restaurants and entertainment.

It is pretty easy to get to DC via AMTRAK. But, if many tourists don't include DC in their itinerary, that may be telling what some may think about our Smithsonian and its history, etc. Just my opinion, but I've always thought that many Europeans tend to be self-centered, or perhaps Eurocentered. Coming to the United States may often just be all about tasting some of the luxury that Hollywood has shown in movies? Oh, and let's not forget about all the shopping one can do in Manhattan. That in itself can take up a good part of one's trip (Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale's, Macy's, SoHo).
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 03:36 pm
Foofie wrote:
But, what is interesting, I think, is that when so many Europeans visit the United States it is a visit to mostly Manhattan..

Once again, foofie, you are displaying the fact that you live in another world, made of superficial knowledge (an oxymoron, I bet) and prejudices.

If you were brave enough to leave your cosy NYC boroughs, I could show you some nice places in the US, with or without tourists.

and wrote:
Now Manhattan is an island off the coast of the United States. .

Manhattan, off the coast? Wow!

Look N°1-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/5_Boroughs_Labels_New_York_City_Map_Julius_Schorzman.png/250px-5_Boroughs_Labels_New_York_City_Map_Julius_Schorzman.png

and wrote:
The French seem to be showing Americans just what great bon vivants they are on their trip with their nonstop talking to each other. Naturally, these are all based on comparatively small sample sizes, and are only generalizations.

Your sample was probably one..
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 01:10 am
I'm always confused about this kind of discussion.

I travelled alone across the US last summer, and I met so many people in my own country that represented a very wide range of cultures. America does not have some homogeneous culture. I spent a lot of time thinking about this and I thought about how absurd it is to hate americans. I think it's also odd how some amricans hate "europeans" as if europe as a whole represents some sort of homogengy.

At the same time that I find it stupid that others hate americans, I can relate with my own prejudices I have towards some cultures in the US.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm more concerned about what types of american culture is being projected beyond our borders. I am concerned because when I hear what others hate about my country, I feel like they are projecting the actions of the few onto the many. I really love the U.S. and I was raised to be accomoodating and accepting of other cultures. I don't think that the way I was raised is uncommon here either, and I'm from Missouri.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:06 am
Diest TKO wrote:
I'm always confused about this kind of discussion.

I travelled alone across the US last summer, and I met so many people in my own country that represented a very wide range of cultures. America does not have some homogeneous culture. I spent a lot of time thinking about this and I thought about how absurd it is to hate americans. I think it's also odd how some amricans hate "europeans" as if europe as a whole represents some sort of homogengy.

At the same time that I find it stupid that others hate americans, I can relate with my own prejudices I have towards some cultures in the US.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm more concerned about what types of american culture is being projected beyond our borders. I am concerned because when I hear what others hate about my country, I feel like they are projecting the actions of the few onto the many. I really love the U.S. and I was raised to be accomoodating and accepting of other cultures. I don't think that the way I was raised is uncommon here either, and I'm from Missouri.

T
K
O

Europeans are as intelligent as we are, and know that you should not stereotype all the people in a nation. However, it may be fair to condemn a majority of people in this country who are responsible for putting a dangerous moron into our nation's highest office.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:19 am
Francis wrote:
Foofie wrote:
But, what is interesting, I think, is that when so many Europeans visit the United States it is a visit to mostly Manhattan..

Once again, foofie, you are displaying the fact that you live in another world, made of superficial knowledge (an oxymoron, I bet) and prejudices.

If you were brave enough to leave your cosy NYC boroughs, I could show you some nice places in the US, with or without tourists.

and wrote:
Now Manhattan is an island off the coast of the United States. .

Manhattan, off the coast? Wow!

Look N°1-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/5_Boroughs_Labels_New_York_City_Map_Julius_Schorzman.png/250px-5_Boroughs_Labels_New_York_City_Map_Julius_Schorzman.png

and wrote:
The French seem to be showing Americans just what great bon vivants they are on their trip with their nonstop talking to each other. Naturally, these are all based on comparatively small sample sizes, and are only generalizations.

Your sample was probably one..

If you are addressing an American, please spell "cosy" with a "z," "cozy."

Anyway, if you can agree that many American tourists in France cannot only be identified easily as Americans, but there is some sort of American character traitis that they all share, then there should be an acceptance that many of the French, likewise, share some national character traits. Bon vivant is not a known French expression for no reason. The French, in more than one observation, are very involved in their thoughts at the moment; dramatic, with a flair that makes an observer wonder if he/she stepped onto a movie set by accident. Just my opinion, again.

P.S. Why do you think the movie, A Man and A Woman, has been touted as such a good portrayal of the French character? A lot of drama based on mundane driving, and the meeting scene on the beach was really emotional. (A nice sun in the background. Nice sand, nice ocean waves. Nice embrace. But, the music hitting a crescendo told the audience that this was the epitome of life. To many an American, this would not be seen in an American film from Hollywood.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 10:59 am
Foofie wrote:
If you are addressing an American, please spell "cosy" with a "z," "cozy."

That would be translated to French ...?
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 05:26 pm
Damn right! We're the legitimate heirs to the flame of western civilization and they lost it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 12:04 am
Francis wrote:
Well, Engineer, I'd readily comment on this suject.

As a long term observer of the American society, having been in the US many times, I would say both of the above articles are sullied by clichés and prejudices from the past.

In both countries, a small fraction of the population has an "anti" foreigner reaction, an old human reaction to aliens, kind of atavic fear.

As I know Jean François Revel, I can tell he is the stereotype of the elites, whose pet peeves (things you like to hate) is precisely to blame the US for any kind of wrong stuff going on in the world.

Interesting. No doubt that J.F. Revel has to some extent made a career out of his critiques of European "Anti Americanism". However there is an element of truth in his arguments. Perhaps, as you suggest, these may be features of decades now past (Images of JP Sartre's oft repeated praises of Leninism - even amidst the repressions in Hungary and (then) Czechoslovakia come to mind), however I have a hard time convincing myself that is true, particularly as I read bits of contemporary European (mostly British, French, & German) political commentary.

Francis wrote:
On the other hand, Americans, often lacking of humor, take seriously any blame Europeans put on them, even if the jocular part is obvious.
Here I agree with you. We have an annoying hypersensitivity to criticism that probably arises out of some long-standing delusions about our exceptionalism - something that is real but greatly exaggerated in American propaganda. This is a fault I will readily acknowledge of myself as well (but you already know that).

Francis wrote:
At least for the French, a majority of them, while criticizing some of the American moves, are pretty aware of what happens in American society, and, as so, they can more easily judge and compare.

Just an example, taken from Ajami's article:

78% of the French think that the US are a religious country. Besides, I have that from other sources, 80% of the Americans consider themselves as religious.

My own experience of the US tells me so.

So the French seem closer than the Jordanians, as only 10% of them consider the US as a religious country.
Somehow I don't find this anecdote particularly persuasive. Do you really believe that the majority of French have a better and more accurate understanding of America than do their American counterparts of the French? Here I am referring to the reality beyond the ubiquitous media products whose very superficial effects are nearly universal. I am also trying to distinguish between the illusions of broad understanding that prevail in cosmopolitan places like New York and Paris, and the reality of it which, even there, is usually much less. Do we - either of us - really understand each other??

Francis wrote:
Many of the arguments uttered by either side are often baseless when compared to reality.

Even though not many Europeans followed the US in Irak's "foolishness", many Europeans participated in the first Irak's war, which many Americans seem oblivious of.

In today's Afganhistan, Germans and French work hand in hand with the Americans.

My American friends seem surprised when I tell them that.
I think U.S awareness of, for example, France's role in the first Gulf War may be greater than you think. As you know I was fortunate enough in the years preceeding this event to have a great deal of contact with the French forces in the Northern Arabian Sea, so perhaps I am biased.

In Afghanistan the political restrictions imposed on German forces severely restrict opportunities for them to work at all (much less "hand-to hand") with the American forces. That is an ongoing problem, and a source of frustration. More importantly it is merely one example among many, spread over decades.

Francis wrote:
And again, when I see the way I'm welcome in the US, I wonder where this widespread anti-European, anti-French feeling is hidden...
Clearly Francis it is because you are such an engaging guy ! :wink: More to the point, the reality of an individual person - French, American, German, British - quickly transcends the stereotypes that may still infect us all.

In all my travels I have repeatedly learned that, when one really connects with people in almost any country, our common humanity quickly comes to the fore and the different cultural expressions of it are usually quickly bridged. Despite this observable fact, the history of our various tribes and national groups is full of protracted and bloody conflict. That is the hell of it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 01:10 am
georgeob1 wrote:
In Afghanistan the political restrictions imposed on German forces severely restrict opportunities for them to work at all (much less "hand-to hand") with the American forces. That is an ongoing problem, and a source of frustration. More importantly it is merely one example among many, spread over decades.

Those "poltical restrictions" source in our Basic Law (constitution).
(And our parliamentary system - but that's described in the Basic Law as well.)

I could imagine that we might change our constituion if the USA pressures us a bit more.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 03:12 am
hmmmm....

I don't generalize my fellow americans as being very well versed on world issues/cultures etc.

I have met several people from abroad, and their general level of U.S. affairs was usually much greater than that of my peers of myself.

Having said that, I'd be willing to wager that while many europeans are well versed on our national issues, they aren't any more schooled on our state level affairs than we are on their invidual national affairs.

I still don't believe that americans are easily generalized. Take three people. One from each of the following areas: Southern CA, Panhandle TX, New England. If they didn't all speak the same language, it would be easy to mistake them as being from different countries.

I'd propose that the diference between an American and a Englishman, is no more significant than the differences between the said three individuals.

T
K
O
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:45 am
Arriving on the high shout of trumpets!

Quote:
Here I agree with you. We have an annoying hypersensitivity to criticism that probably arises out of some long-standing delusions about our exceptionalism - something that is real but greatly exaggerated in American propaganda. This is a fault I will readily acknowledge of myself as well (but you already know that).
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 10:39 am
blatham wrote:

There you go Blatham -- touting my virtues again !
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 10:56 am
georgeob1 wrote:
blatham wrote:

There you go Blatham -- touting my virtues again !

Well, if it had been done with shawns and trombones, but just the mere trumpets of Sodom and Gomorrah ... ... ...

[size=7]I might remember something wrong, though.[/size]
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:00 am
Walter is really good at messing up my rare moments of self - congratulation.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:27 am
georgeob1 wrote:

In all my travels I have repeatedly learned that, when one really connects with people in almost any country, our common humanity quickly comes to the fore and the different cultural expressions of it are usually quickly bridged. Despite this observable fact, the history of our various tribes and national groups is full of protracted and bloody conflict. That is the hell of it.

But, you're not saying why, "various tribes and national groups is full of protracted and bloody conflict." I believe it is the part of human nature that is hard-wired into us, and evolution put it into our genes, because it helped small bands of hunter gatherers survive in an ever competitive environment. Who knows if we'll all ever evolve beyond this atavistic nature?

But, please give credence to "your travels" as being a military person that is usually regarded with some respect in many places. You didn't travel as some sort of pariah, that people shuttered their windows as you walked into a village. Your perspective may reflect your own experience, which might be skewed, based on who you are (i.e., lions may have a different perspective on a jungle than some lesser animal).
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 12:21 pm
Foofie wrote:

But, you're not saying why, "various tribes and national groups is full of protracted and bloody conflict." I believe it is the part of human nature that is hard-wired into us, and evolution put it into our genes, because it helped small bands of hunter gatherers survive in an ever competitive environment. Who knows if we'll all ever evolve beyond this atavistic nature?
True enough, and I don't claim to fully understand the "Why" of it either. I think your notion about hard wired elements in human nature is a likely partial explanation. The irony remains that, in spite of eminently bridgeable (on an individual basis) cultural divides and the broad commonality of our human natures, we fight fiercely (and sometimes contrary to our own self-interest) over tribal differences that are small compared to the individual differences among members of the same "tribe" (loosely defined).

Foofie wrote:

But, please give credence to "your travels" as being a military person that is usually regarded with some respect in many places. You didn't travel as some sort of pariah, that people shuttered their windows as you walked into a village. Your perspective may reflect your own experience, which might be skewed, based on who you are (i.e., lions may have a different perspective on a jungle than some lesser animal).
In some places: not all. Moreover it is a mixed blessing - one must also overcome prejudices that one is interested only in whoring, boozing and raising hell. Some windows are indeed shuttered. I have also travelled a lot as a civilian and haven't found the difference to be great.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 12:36 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I have also travelled a lot as a civilian and haven't found the difference to be great.

Well, but you are not a homebody from the cozy suburbs of NYC, George...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 12:39 pm
Nor you one from Paris, Francis.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 12:44 pm
I indeed travelled a lot and lived in a lot of foreign countries.

I came to the conclusion too, that there are more differences between some individuals of the same ethnic group than differences between people as a whole, from different groups.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 02:00 pm
Then we appear to agree on most of it.

The paradox remains that relatively small average 'tribal' differences can make for (or may merely be associated with) ghastly and protracted conflicts that often defy the real self-interests of most of those involved.

I am concerned that, as Europe is successfully subsuming its old tribal identities, and the historical troubles associated with them, in a new, larger identity, it may also be adopting with it a hostile or at least combatative posture towards us (two sides to this story - we have done our part too). We are entering a new historical age and the easy presumptions of the past may no longer hold.
0 Replies