My first first date in 3 years.

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 03:28 am
So I'm nervous to get back out there, but I have a date next weekend. I thought I'd get some feedback.

First some background info. I've known the girl for about a year through a national student organization. We have both been delagates to several conferences and have many shared interests.

I am coming out of a long relationship and this is my first time trying dating again.

She lives 7.5 hours away.

The date is on her turf. I'm visiting her. This is a difficult part because I'm creating a date in an area that I'm not familiar with.

So here is my idea. I am going to bring some cameras, and I'm going to ask her to take us to someplace... pretty? Then We'll walk around a take photos of things and talk to people. The idea is to create something material that she and I can have after the date. Maybe she will continue to think about me after it is over. After the photos, we are going to get Japanese food (that I googled), and a drink.

Feedback?

T
K
Open to other ideas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,002 • Replies: 116
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 03:41 am
Does she know it has been three years for you? I gotta figure you are going to have some nerves and some awkward moments. You'll want a plan of how to make the bad moments seem charming.

I have been married for 22 years, and never did date much so consider the source....however, I would be tempted to consider the first date a throw away. Don't expect it to go well, do the best you can, use it as a learning experience, and be ready to do well the second time out of the chute.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 03:49 am
Yes she is aware. She knew me when I was in my relationship. Yeah and as for awkward, I am worried, but I hope it comes off as cute and not pathetic.

Confused

T
K
O
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 04:05 am
As long as you don't act like you are trying too hard to do the date "right" you are 90% home free in the pathetic department. Humour and "aw shucks" will get you the last 10%.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 04:33 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Yes she is aware. She knew me when I was in my relationship. Yeah and as for awkward, I am worried, but I hope it comes off as cute and not pathetic.

Confused

T
K
O

You know....I've been meaning to say how cute you are.

But NEVER pathetic......

Rrrrrrrrrooowwwwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 06:20 am
For what it is worth:

I think I would enjoy that!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:12 am
Sounds great, TKO. Have fun!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 12:39 pm
If she doesn't appreciate your planning, she needs another sort of man and you need another sort of woman.

Good fortune attend thee. (Some threesomes are better than others.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 12:40 pm
Bohne wrote:
For what it is worth:

I think I would enjoy that!

I definitely would enjoy that!

Stay loose, Deist!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 01:06 pm
Looks good to me!

In fact it sounds very similar to a first "date" that I had with the guy who turned out to be my husband.

(I put quotes around "date" because we planned it for a point in the future, but kept running into each other in the meantime and were already "together" by the time we went on the planned date.)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 01:41 pm
You've never come across as pathetic to me!

One thing though...asking her to think of someplace pretty to go to, maybe putting her on the spot?

Maybe you'd like to ask her on the phone beforehand to think about a place?

You've known her for a while now, so you know she likes that kind of thing, right?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 01:53 pm
She's is a very classy woman, and I think she will appriciate something more than renting a DVD.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

As for asking her to take us somewhere "pretty," I think you might be right Chai. Perhaps I need to give her some sort of heads up, or try and gather some info on the area first.

Keep sending comments, and I promise to keep unpdating with more info before and after the date!

Thanks
K
O
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 04:18 pm
Oh, that sounds like a wonderful date. Are there any lakes or botanical gardens in her area?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 05:06 pm
7.5 hours?! man she must have some great rack.

Ok bullshit aside...

Just be open and honest. Tell her your nervouse, Tell her you hope you dont come off as pathetic and lacking in confidence.

Whenever your feelings are expose them a little chicks dig that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 05:20 pm
1 Move that finger before you put your eye out.

2Try not to use words like shitzu, or ballsack.

3 Rent a jag or porsche Boxter

4 Be sincere, they always fall for that.

5Try not to talk about your ex, do not compare , or even think about comparing.

6CAts, chicks all like cats, so listen to her cat stories, and make believe youre interested

7 Be a little dangerous, not too much you dont wanna scare her off.

8Tell her that its either her or your going gay.They like a mission.

9 NEVER, never, never ,never, tell her you hang out on a board full of gunnuts, capybara farmers, witches, bitches, old sex addicts, and defrocked priests.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 05:24 pm
Sounds good, and it happening on her turf might be a big advantage. I mean, since you can't be expected to know your way around, it is quite natural to take advantage of her experience.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 06:00 pm
"NEVER, never, never ,never, tell her you hang out on a board full of gunnuts, capybara farmers, witches, bitches, old sex addicts, and defrocked priests."

Sig line of the week...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 06:01 pm
ossobuco wrote:
"NEVER, never, never ,never, tell her you hang out on a board full of gunnuts, capybara farmers, witches, bitches, old sex addicts, and defrocked priests."

Sig line of the week...

I wonder which one I am.....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 06:03 pm
littlek wrote:

I wonder which one I am.....[/quote]

Witch not which, Does that give you a clue?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 06:05 pm
And, have fun, TKO..
0 Replies