"Retaking our lives....spurning the demon tar"

Rae

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 07:19 pm
Don't get me started about pleasing other people! Ohmygoodness!

And yes.....

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 08:14 pm
I will annoy you all, I know, and don't mean it at all in a nattering way, but I see quitting this way as slow torture, and you still, even if you get it down to one cig, are counting hours...beaming in on when you can have it, instead of getting past this horrible stage.

Ok, I'll be quiet now.

I am not disappointed in any of you, it is a brave thing to do, even as far as you've all done it.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 08:19 pm
Well said, ossobuco. I'm not disappointed either ~ this isn't my fight. And it is a fight.

One day at a time. In whichever way you see fit. It's all good.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 08:26 pm
Ossobuco, you are so right ... it is slow torture!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 08:31 pm
'Torture' ~ maybe only to those who think of it as torture. I'm still proud of petunia ~ sumac, as well. They're trying. Trying in the way that suits them both. That's the important thing to remember.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 08:32 pm
You are not a failure for falling down, it's the staying down that makes it a failure!

Quitting smoking is very difficult ... as a matter of fact, I've heard it's even tougher than quitting hard drugs {that from a nurse}, so don't feel a failure, because each time you try, is another step up on the ladder to success.

Just the fact that you are all trying is successful, and it will pay off eventually!
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 09:18 pm
Ossobuco - no, I do not not thing of you as nagging, or whatever...I appreciate All the input I get from All of you...actually, I do fear it may be a long-term torture, but I have found I really do not have the horrible longing all day, and night, for a cigarette, just at odd moments...at least at present.

It is true, I may be deluding myself, time will tell...please continue to come back to help me stay on the straight and narrow (can I say that here?)

Cate
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 09:23 pm
That going down to 3, 2, 1 is slow torture, that is my opinion, though I can see it for a few days. But over weeks, one keeps things at the torture level instead of going over a hump and having it dispell.

I agree each to her or his own.
I won't nag about this, in fact I'll back off posting.
I love you all and wish you the best, however you do relative to quitting.
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 09:37 pm
Ossobuco: Please do not go away forever...I value your opinion and your comments...I need to hear it all...and it is honest, that I do appreciate, and I'm sure you are right. I hope to not be smoking at all in two to three weeks.

SUMAC where are you!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 09:38 pm
Of course you can say that here darlin'........ you can say anything you wish, almost!

We will be here to support you, in whatever way is best for you to quit ... so don't worry, just keep trying!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 10:25 pm
I'm sure Osso is right on this. Once you start anticipating, it's almost a lost cause. Notice that while you might wish for one on an airline flight, it is controlable. When you promise yourself one in the evening, you are going to have it.

Here's a different stratagy to consider. Keep a full pack with you, so you never panic. If you do break into it, don't worry. Just make sure there is another one when it is gone, and start all over.

So far as surgery goes, though, I doubt one or two a day is going to make the slightest difference
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 10:41 pm
As always Roger, you're right!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 10:43 pm
Uh, I think you mean sometimes right, like a clock that's stopped is right twice a day.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 07:47 am
I think it's tough quitting smoking, anyway you do it. You've just got to find the way that will eventually work for you.

My aunt helped my uncle quit, by making smoking too annoying. She had him carry a journal where he had to write down when he smoked, how he was feeling etc. Since he had to account for all of his cigarettes at the end of the day, and she was one he!! of a nag - cutting down and then quitting worked for him.

hamburger had mrs. hamburger smoke a cigar. I'm not sure what his reasoning was, exactly, but she quit smoking cigarettes as a result.

I didn't have any luck with the cutting down approach - I was always a chain smoker (3 packs a day at my peak), so it had to be all or nothing. It was horrid to go cold turkey for the first 3 or 4 days - and then I was pretty much over it. I still enjoy sniffing an occasional very good cigarette - I like the smell of cigars and adore the smell of good pipe tobacco - but I don't smoke anymore.

Some people do brilliantly with the cutting back approach, and I've heard some people do well with Roger's approach of having the ciggies around, sort of as a mental safety net - it's definitely a time to pick your own weapon.

Good luck to all!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 07:29 pm
Just checking in..... Very Happy
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 10:14 pm
Thank you for all of your input...sorry I haven't responded, computer was down for about a day and I did not get e-mail updates today...

Still smoking 2-3 in the evening, but I can tell I am coming to the end of it, I think...

Again, thank you!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 01:24 pm
Good work, petunia.
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 04:08 pm
Very Happy I too am a reformed smoker, off them now 28 years and was one of the best things I have done in my life. There is no easy fix. It is a hard struggle but if you have determination you will eventually win.
I tried a few times before I conquered it.
Best wishes to all who are trying to stop. Smile
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 10:22 am
Still a struggle. Somedays no cigarette at all, other days have several. I know I will win this, am determined to, but wow.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 10:31 am
Is the smoking attached to particular activities, petunia? anything you can modify for those last ciggies?
0 Replies