"Retaking our lives....spurning the demon tar"

Rae

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:40 pm
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one, Kara ~ thanks! Never again!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:45 pm
Another ex-smoker here. Sounds like your mind's made up Petunia - that's a great start!

Yes, do try to sleep off, as much as you can, the withdrawal at the start. Good advice Rae.

I was so run down when I quit smoking. After being a pretty athletic kid it really bummed me out. I'd go to the park with my dog and just do sprints every now and then. I got to running laps around the park in time. I don't run now, but that little bit of lung-expanding excersize really made me crave healthy lungs. It felt like I was helping them heal, processing the gunk, breaking up the tar that I felt was caking inside.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 01:20 pm
Still here, and still working on my motivation.....
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:37 pm
Thank you, all, for your encouragement.

Sozobe, you are funny and keep making me laugh Laughing very healthy.

littlek: sprint ?!?!?!?! Laughing but I can walk and plan to do so now that cooler weather is on its way...

sumac, keep showing up, and I hope it will happen for you, too.

yes, my mind is made up today....I still have two days after this one and have bought my last three packs of cigarettes....I hope that come Monday, 8:00 a.m., I will still be there...I plan to sleep that day, and walk and shop in places where there are no smokes!

Again, thanks
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 08:41 pm
I'm down to one day...have two packs of cigarettes left, not buying any more...Saving that money for something else! Actually, today they have tasted bitter, so hope they do tomorrow too...I really am ready...

I start thinking too far ahead, like about the long car trip I will make later in September.....then I think whoooooooooooooooa...stop...think about today, about how i've enjoyed the rain...not about not smoking a month from now....gee, I need to think first about Monday, Sept. 1...my first day of FREEDOM! Smile
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 08:45 pm
Try to picture yourself a year from now, Ms. petunia ~ smoke-free.

Just me.....checkin in! I'm pluggin for ya, ma'am!
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 08:47 pm
Thanks, Rae
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 08:49 pm
You're getting very, very sleepy.....tick-tock-tick-tock.....sleep it off.....the world will still be here when you wake up.....and ciggies will be a thing of the past.....very, very sleepy.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 09:44 pm
My advice is similar to Kara's in that one shouldn't go off the deep end if you fail, but get back to giving it up.

My advice differed from most on Rae's thread in that my strongest point is to decide cigarettes have nothing to do with you any more, other people do that. Those stacks of cartons are for other people. To that extent, the discussion of how hard it is minute by minute and day after day...extends cigarette consciousness, to me. I am all for - instead - escape and distraction. As Little K said, the jogging in the park, or long walks. Good mysteries, video games, whatever. Movement, dance, drawing, tennis. Food, sex, alcohol all are nice distractions, but two of those bring problems with them...

I don't do yoga, but I imagine it could help. Cigarettes bring a cycle of anxiety with them, while they seem to bring calm.

Achieve calm other ways, and don't dwell on them....in my humble opinion.
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 09:48 pm
Thank you ossobuco...that really is my plan, but I know that there will be moments, while at work, while here on the computer, getting up in the morning, that my first thought, or my lingering thought will be for a smoke...those moments I know I have to get through by just saying for this moment..

I do like your statement, though, of saying that they are not for me anymore, but they are someone elses... those other people...I like that and will use it...thank you.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 09:52 pm
Stay strong, petunia ~ you're in my thoughts.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:28 am
I'm here....and not looking forward to the day. Petunias? You here?
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:44 am
I'm here now, Sumac...Are you on board? Do NOT think about the day ahead...what are you doing right now? If I think of the day, I get really nervous...yesterday I even started crying. Expect to have a mourning period, smoking has been a friend for a long time, and now I am letting go, because it is not at all good for me...This thread may turn into a diary, I'm not sure...

Sumac, I'm here, right along with you...let me know what you need!

Cate
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 08:58 am
I know exactly what you mean. 45 years is a long time. Having last one right now. Have headache already. Oy.
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:02 am
Headache already, Sumac? You must be thinking too hard! Stop it right now! Smile

Yes, 45 years is a long time...don't think about the past or the future...just right now...enjoy that last cigarette and then know it is not for you any more...

Thinking of you this moment...and the rest of the day...Whatever happens you are better for thinking about this thing. What do you need?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:09 am
Need this place. Need to have someone to vent with. I want a cigarette!
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:11 am
Okay, vent to your heart's content...I think this is the place for it and I, at least, will be listening...because later today I, too will be venting or hyper-venting!!!!!!! Laughing
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:25 am
Ah, I thought I heard a calmness in your voice. Great tranguilizers, aren't they?
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:27 am
yes...and I expect that by 11:00 they will be all gone...couldn't stop until the pack was finished. So, soon it will begin. Embarrassed
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:29 am
What are you waiting for? The end of the pack? Then there are butts, which are looking attractive.
0 Replies