If Clinton Wins

kickycan

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:30 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Hillary has a whole bunch of ways to win, even if she loses. The superdelegates is one. The other is to cry foul about the fact that Florida's and Michigan's delegates should be counted, even though they didn't follow party rules.

Even if Obama does eek out a win, he will end up on the losing end somehow. You'll see.

I am such a wet blanket.

From a little birdie I know:

Quote:
Elaine Kamarck, who is on the DNC Rules Committee, and is my professor, told me there was literally zero chance that the DNC would count Florida and Michigan.

They will drag that out as long as possible in order to avoid having to make a choice which will be unpopular with half the party. If they can get either one of them to concede first, they will.

Cycloptichorn

Damn, you're good.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:30 pm
I'm sure it's been noted but there are so many threads going I wouldn't know where.....Hillary had to put 5 million of her own dollars in the campaign.

Meanwhile Obama raked in 32 million in January.

Just in from MSNBC, some of her staff is working without pay.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:52 pm
The Obama grassroots campaign isn't currently focused on Super Delegates. They're still focused on boots on the ground accumulating as many pledged delegates as they can via the populous votes in the remaining states that haven't voted.

By winning a majority of delegates via the populous vote it will be rather difficult for the Clinton campaign to fight for an after-the-fact rule change for Michigan and Florida while ignoring the voting results in the 48 states who followed the rules.

That's probably why the Clinton campaign is focusing on Super Delegates. They think they can get the Super Delegates to do it for them.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:55 pm
Brand X wrote:
I'm sure it's been noted but there are so many threads going I wouldn't know where.....Hillary had to put 5 million of her own dollars in the campaign.

Got an email from the Obama camp, they've raised almost 4 million in less then 24 hours since the primaries.

Whew

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:08 pm
Brand X wrote:

If it was announced that some of Obamas staff was working without pay you guys would cluck and rave about how Obama is so inspirational that his people are willing to work for nothing... if Hillary's people do it it's because her campaign is heading for the shitcan...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:15 pm
Rama--You should read Mailer's American Dream book.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:17 pm
Cyclo,

Not sure how much weight to apply to that birdie. Maybe you can have the person confirm this with the professor.

Dr. Elaine Kamarck (MA) is listed in the Clinton column as a convention delegate here:

http://demconwatch.blogspot.com/2008/01/superdelegate-list.html
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:18 pm
My early prediction was Hillary would beat him with money...and eventhough the Clinton's have plenty of their own cash to throw at it I'm beginning to wonder.

BTW, BPB you've been a real drama queen the past couple weeks. Back away from the computer, TV ad all other media.

Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:19 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Cyclo,

Not sure how much weight to apply to that birdie. Maybe you can have the person confirm this with the professor.

Dr. Elaine Kamarck (MA) is listed in the Clinton column as a convention delegate here:

Oh, well, you never know. Little birdies aren't always reliable...

Makes sense though that they would attempt to let things sort themselves before forcing things upon the party. If there's a clear winner before that time, everyone's happy. If not, it's a mess no matter how they cut it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:20 pm
Quote:
Got an email from the Obama camp, they've raised almost 4 million in less then 24 hours since the primaries.

Wow!! Getting an email constitutes a scientific fact.

Moses must be weeping. Along with the Secretary of State for Education.

Dylan only had you on the day shift after 20 years of schoolin' not on cloud cuckoo land.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:20 pm
Brand X wrote:
My early prediction was Hillary would beat him with money...and eventhough the Clinton's have plenty of their own cash to throw at it I'm beginning to wonder.

BTW, BPB you've been a real drama queen the past couple weeks. Back away from the computer, TV ad all other media.

Laughing

mind your f*ckin' business.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:21 pm
boo hoo Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:29 pm
I've been looking for a definitive delegate count too and I haven't found one. They're all over the place. Some favor Obama, some favor Clinton. The ones who favor the same candidate do so by different numbers. As far as I know, NM still isn't called, so nobody knows for sure where those delegates will go. Etc.

This is back to how incredibly complicated the system is and how a tweak here gets everything out of whack over there. Presumably eventually we'll get something definitive.

I don't think Obama-worshipping comes into it much. (I've been reading Chuck Todd + co. pretty much daily for a while now and they're hardly worshippers.)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:41 pm
I'll agreee with you there about Chuck Todd.. he's pretty much a straight up stats guy..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:44 pm
Yep...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:46 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:
Cyclo,

Oh, well, you never know. Little birdies aren't always reliable...

Makes sense though that they would attempt to let things sort themselves before forcing things upon the party. If there's a clear winner before that time, everyone's happy. If not, it's a mess no matter how they cut it.

Cycloptichorn

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Primary-Scramble.html?scp=1&sq=DNC+Florida+and+Michigan+delegations&st=nyt

Quote:
Caucuses a Redo for Mich., Fla.?
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: February 6, 2008
Filed at 4:56 p.m. ET

LANSING, Mich. (AP) -- The Democratic National Committee is pressuring Michigan and Florida to hold presidential caucuses so the delegates they lost for holding January primaries could be seated at the national convention, a top Michigan Democrat said Wednesday.

DNC member Debbie Dingell of Michigan said it's unclear whether either state would hold caucuses since they've already held primaries, Michigan on Jan. 15 and Florida on Jan. 29. She said the DNC is asking the states to consider such a plan.

Florida Democratic Party spokesman Mark Bubriski said the party has no intention of holding another election.

''We've said all along that we're going forward with our delegate selection program using the vote on January 29,'' he said. ''We've got more delegate applications than ever.''

Michigan Democratic Chairman Mark Brewer said the DNC isn't saying anything it hasn't said before to Michigan and Florida.

''Everybody involved, the candidates, the DNC and we, need to remain open-minded. So if someone comes up with a creative way that meets everyone's interests, we can do that'' and get the delegates seated, he said.

DNC spokesman Damien LaVera had no comment.

The stakes are increasingly high as Illinois Sen. Barack Obama and New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton compete for the delegates they need to win the party's presidential nomination, a contest that could stretch to the spring.

The decision could end up being made at the Democratic National Convention in Denver, which makes the question of whether the Michigan and Florida delegates are seated an important strategic point.

Clinton won both states' primaries. Obama was on Florida's ballot but had pulled his name from Michigan's ballot because the state broke DNC rules by moving its primary to Jan. 15. That forced his Michigan supporters to vote for ''uncommitted'' and hope for a share of the uncommitted delegates.

It's unlikely that Clinton would favor holding caucuses, which could open the door to Obama victories in two states she has won. But there also is pressure to hold some kind of alternative election that meets DNC rules so the states don't have to wait to find out if the delegates will be seated.

Both states were stripped of their delegates for violating DNC rules by holding early primaries. Democratic leaders in both states expect the delegates will be seated at the convention, and Clinton recently said she would ask her delegates to support seating the Michigan and Florida delegations.

So far Obama has not heeded her call to do the same, and it's unlikely he would if it means Clinton would get the larger share of delegates from both states.

Florida has 185 pledged delegates and 25 superdelegates who face not being seated at the convention; Michigan has 128 pledged delegates and 28 superdelegates.

Brewer said he has continued to talk to both campaigns, stressing that Michigan is an important state for either candidate to win in November. Florida officials have said their swing state also could be crucial to a Democrat getting into the White House.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 08:18 pm
Such delegate spats are a long tradition with Democrats. There will be a good deal of sound and fury, but in the end the delegates will be seated.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 08:20 pm
agreed.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 08:25 pm
I think that's a first !! Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 08:26 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

but you agree that Hillary has more delgates than Obama correct?

How about you Free duck? I'd say I didn't mispost anything really... would you agree that Hillary has more delegates?

I've only seen estimates so I can't commit on that, but if I had to guess I'd say she probably does.
0 Replies