If Obama Wins

nimh

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 09:21 am
engineer wrote:
I think all the candidates can claim to be well educated, so I don't think younger people are supporting Obama because they see him as educated. Nor is Obama that young. He's in his mid forties

Where does rabel say anything about Obama's age or education? He (she?) is talking about Obama's supporters.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 09:57 am
Perhaps I should clarify my interpretation of that post.

"Young snots with no real life experience (like the ones who were my bosses in the day) are voting for Obama while those who have collected life experience are voting for Clinton."

OK, that could be true, but that's not exactly what I've been reading. I've read that:

- Obama tends to get the young idealistic vote, educated professional vote, white male vote, the independent vote and more recently the black vote
- Clinton tends to get the party loyalist vote, female vote especially older women, the Hispanic vote
- Edwards got the union vote, rural vote, white male vote. Recently it looks like those blocks are moving to Obama. Since Edwards dropped, Clinton's overall percentage has been stable, but Obama has increased.

As for the young, inexperienced management types rabel quoted, they are probably Republicans. All the ones around here are. You can preceive offense any way you want, but the idea that "educated" people are voting for Obama because they are arrogant idiots strikes a wrong note with me. I thought we stopped beating up the smart kids in 6th grade.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:00 am
Excuse me , but it seems to me that the smart kids are beating up on the kids they think are too stupid to be allowed an opinion on things they don't understand. At least it seems that most Obama people here have been talking down to me. And yes my experience has been that there is a very big difference between education and intelligence. But we have had this conversation before so you college kids can unload on me again. Have fun.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:06 am
rabel22 wrote:
Excuse me , but it seems to me that the smart kids are beating up on the kids they think are too stupid to be allowed an opinion on things they don't understand. At least it seems that most Obama people here have been talking down to me. And yes my experience has been that there is a very big difference between education and intelligence. But we have had this conversation before so you college kids can unload on me again. Have fun.

You are projecting, sir.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:16 am
And you cant carry on a conversation without insulting little comments in an attempt to convey your comtempt for people you disagree with.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:21 am
rabel22 wrote:
And you cant carry on a conversation without insulting little comments in an attempt to convey your comtempt for people you disagree with.

You are projecting again. I don't hold you in contempt, though I'm sure you hold me in contempt.

Look, nobody is giving you a hard time for being against Obama, yet every post you've made for the last two days has been about people giving you a hard time for being against Obama.

You're not going to vote for him; great. But this 'damn you kids, get off my lawn!' mentality that you're displaying isn't going to win ya any friends around here.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:30 am
I have to admit that I have been sitting on the fence between Obama and Hillary and I will even admit why. It is because I feel disloyal to the clintons to side with Obama even though I really like the way he feels on any given subject. If Hillary was not Clinton and if she was not running; I would probably be on the Obama band wagon just as big as anybody.

So I am going to just push aside those conflicts and concentrate on who appeals to me and if I do that the choice is easy; Obama. He is fresh and he has a new way of looking at the issues which matter most to me.

Which are in order which matters most:

Health Care

Poverty

Foreign policy

education

I think we should forget about who we will think will win in the general election; I think both have an equal chance anyway; and forget about personalities and just concentrate on what they have to say and their basic way of looking issues which give a clue to how they would run their administration.

Edit: where I differ is a woman right to choose (I am against) and he seems too pro-Israel. But then the same can be said for Hillary.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:23 pm
Appreciate your links to issues, revel.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:28 pm
Presidential nomination will finally be decided by the number of Delegates behind the candidate.
So Super Tuesday will give a vague idea about the trend .

"What, though, will constitute a decisive victory? A little fewer than 1,700 delegates are at stake for the Democrats on Super Tuesday (a fraction more than half of the total), and winning a bare majority will clearly not be enough for Mrs Clinton.
Should she win more than 1,100 to Mr Obama’s 600, she will probably be in the clear. Anything between those two extremes will be the subject of a protracted “spin” operation by the rival camps.
California, with 441 delegates, is the ultimate prize: even a narrow victory there will count, in news terms, for a huge amount. Likewise, a loss for Mrs Clinton in her home state of New York would be devastating, though that looks unlikely.
Then there are bellwether states like Missouri, which Mrs Clinton was originally supposed to be certain to win; these middle-America states are considered to be accurate predictors of national trends, and will be watched carefully.
With a large number of postal votes that won't be counted for many days, the results may not be known this week.Probably the most likely eventual outcome is an unclear result followed by a war of words, and a continuing cliff-hanger.
That's good news for political junkies at least.
http://www.economist.com/daily/news/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10635584
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 03:10 pm
rabel22 wrote:

I was wondering where this was coming from and rather than ask you, I went back through some of your threads looking at where you were so abused. This is one of your posts:

rabel22 wrote:
All I have to know is that the Daley machine backs him. In my mind its guilt by association. He was involved in some business deals in chicago with some crooks that are being investigated. The one I would like to see get the nomination is Edwards but thats not going to happen. My second choice is Clinton. If Obama gets it I will not vote Democrat. If you people want another Bush in office then by all means back Obama, i am sure he will screw up the government with his change B.S. just as Bush did with his change in government. To me he sounds just like Bush and Reagan.

Of the Democratic candidates, Edwards is the left-most, Clinton is the centrist and Obama is in between, but very close to Clinton. Would you really vote for Romney (the opposite of Edwards in my mind) before voting for Obama? You are of course entitled to that opinion, but I could see some Obama supporters scratching their heads at that. I don't see the education link, but I just surveyed your posts. If you have a favorite example, please post a link. I just haven't seen the kind of prejudice you describe.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 03:25 pm
Describing Hillary Clinton as "centerist" boggles the mind, unless you mean she occupies the Democratic center between the most radical leftists and the most moderate, conservative leaning Democrats. And, Obama is to the left of Clinton. If there is a "centerist" amongst the current candidates it is John McCain whose independence has alienated the right-most Republican conservatives. What McCain loses there, he should pick up many times over from American voters who eschew extremist positions in either Party.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 03:36 pm
What none of you Obama people will admit to is that He gives rah rah speeches with no substance. And as I have stated many times my objection to Obama is that he is a Chicago politician. as a southern Illinoian I have an innate mistrust of Chicago politicians. Joe of chicago named a few southern pols who went to jail but if he had been truthful the list of chicago pols who went to jail would dwarf the southern list. I suppose I could do the work and list them but I know it is a waste of my time. I think all you delusional people looking for a messiah who will change Washington are going to be very disappointed when you find he has feet of clay. Good luck.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 03:45 pm
In other words it isn't because education and income levels might differ or genders and age might differ. It is because opinions about the candidate differ.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 03:53 pm
rabel22 wrote:
What none of you Obama people will admit to is that He gives rah rah speeches with no substance.

That's because it isn't true. I've seen dozens of his speeches over the last two years. He is quite substantive.[/quote]

Quote:
And as I have stated many times my objection to Obama is that he is a Chicago politician. as a southern Illinoian I have an innate mistrust of Chicago politicians. Joe of chicago named a few southern pols who went to jail but if he had been truthful the list of chicago pols who went to jail would dwarf the southern list. I suppose I could do the work and list them but I know it is a waste of my time.

That's your prejudice, not mine. What if I said that all people from Illinois are crooked? After all, they keep voting crooks in, so they must all be crooked, right?

Ridiculous position and really no different then racism or sexism. It's your right to hold this position but don't expect others to respect it.

Quote:
I think all you delusional people looking for a messiah who will change Washington are going to be very disappointed when you find he has feet of clay. Good luck.

Nobody who supports Obama is looking for a messiah. He has feet of clay. When Maporsche, a big Hillary supporter, asked me to detail three things I didn't like about Obama I complied immediately. It's his detractors that are implying that those who are for him are irrational. They are not irrational.

Good day, sir

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 04:15 pm
If you stated that illinois voters were crooks you would be half right. The Chicago half of the population.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 04:19 pm
If- only if- a lady or a person of different vission had a chance to be the Resident of USA we would have a different picture of the global problems.
Unfortunately USA'ws election system is a sort of diversion or entertainment.
Nothing more.
Nothing else.
Nothing less
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 04:31 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
If- only if- a lady or a person of different vission had a chance to be the Resident of USA we would have a different picture of the global problems.
Unfortunately USA'ws election system is a sort of diversion or entertainment.
Nothing more.
Nothing else.
Nothing less

How do you feel about the election system in Dubai where many of your fellow countrymen have gone for construction jobs?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 04:43 pm
Butrfly
Post a seperate thread( I will be much obliged if you do after this)
I will air my critical views..
Now I am trying my level best to export DEMOCRACY without the embedded intellectuals or the congenial corporate sponsors .
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:54 pm
Came across this (below). I dont think it has much to do with Bear's or Rabel22's complaints, but it does chime in with the general theme, and it neatly serves as anecdotal illustration of one of things I was talking about.

Note, it's by someone who supports Obama himself, if after much doubting.

It's called Obama's Biggest Weakness, but it's much better covered by the title given to a blog post linking to the item:

The Case Against Obama Supporters

Quote:
By far the most important warning I heard here at TPMCafe last night came from Ken Baer:

We need to take seriously that outside of those cutting very cool YouTube videos and packing unbelievably large rallies, there is a significant silent -- at times -- majority of working-class whites, Latinos, seniors, and women who like Hillary Clinton and will vote for her. For Obama, he has upscale whites and African-Americans..."
Obama must have been making that same observation while watching the returns, for his own exhortation of the night turned on a moving account of his early commitment, as a community organizer, to fight for low-income people. Yet precisely because it came from his personal experience on Chicago's poor, black Southside, it underscored Ken's caution about who Obama's strongest constituencies are. Those of us who are old enough can remember that liberal Democrats have been here before, and paid dearly for it.

Yes, he carried other constituencies in states like North Dakota, Alaska, and Kansas that have few upscale whites and African-Americans. But Democrats won't carry those states in November, and Obama is in trouble if - and I'm not yet sure about this -- too many of his famously small $20 and $30 contributions come not from the people of the lower-middle and working classes whom Ken mentioned but mainly from people like the up-and-coming young white writers and journalists with whom I watched one of the recent Democratic debates from the tony (but not too tony) New York neighborhood of Brooklyn Heights.

Every time John Edwards mentioned broken workers in mills he'd known, the young crowd watching the debate hooted derisively, "The mill!, The mill!" Every time Hillary Clinton mentioned her 35 years of experience, they hooted, too. Sure, the candidates' mantras had become tiresome. But the hooting got so annoying, too, that finally I quipped, "Don't you have to be at least 35 years old before you can make fun of 35 years of experience?" I bit my tongue rather than ask if anyone present had ever been to a mill.

Like other fence sitters here at TPM, I finally decided to vote for Obama, for reasons I've explained here. And I still support him. But I did it with reservations I explained here, too.

I fear that too many young whites with bright prospects have no really serious intention of redressing the growing inequities which the neoliberal world that employs them is spawning, not just between themselves and poor blacks on the Southside but, these days, between blacks and blacks, and women and women, let alone between cool young whites like themselves and the declasse, lumpy white and Latino workers all around them.

Not that my young friends defend wholeheartedly the system in which they're prospering. To their credit, it makes them uncomfortable. But they grasp at mostly symbolic gestures of a politics of moral posturing that relieves racial and class guilt and steadies their moral self-regard with smallish contributions to Obama, an Ivy alum whom they trust to help those people on the Southside without dragging them too deeply into it; without reconfiguring how we charter our corporations and re-construe the private and public investments that employ upscale young whites and well-behaved non-whites; and certainly without redistributing their own bright prospects and future prerogatives and second homes.

Some of the people I watched the debate with are too young to imagine themselves even wanting second homes. Yet redistributing their prospects and more is no small part of what we'd have to do in the coming world economy if any Democrat,-- including Hillary Clinton -- ever did win an election with a coalition of the long-dismissed and misdirected constituencies Ken reminded us about.

Unlike some of his supporters, Obama took his Columbia College core humanities curriculum seriously enough to go down and out in Chicago after Harvard Law School and to wrest a fine book from out of his entrails. Even more important, he felt and thought his way through and out of a lot of racial displacements and deceits, with a personal and public courage most of us whites can admire but will never be called upon to emulate and demonstrate, as he has.

Those are reasons enough to support him, and I do. But they are not reasons to have hooted at John Edwards or even, heaven help her, at Hillary Clinton.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:00 pm
Sorry but some of that is bullshit.

Quote:

Yes, he carried other constituencies in states like North Dakota, Alaska, and Kansas that have few upscale whites and African-Americans. But Democrats won't carry those states in November,

Yaknow how you guarantee that you're not going to win states in November?

By continually talking about how you aren't going to win them1!!!

I don't think that many of the older people judging this election can wrap their heads around how pissed off the country is at Bush and the Republican party. The 50-state strategy has to apply to the general as well as the primary and if it does, Hillary or Obama, we will flip some of these states.

Jeez, stuff like that makes me mad

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies