If Obama Wins

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 01:51 am
real life wrote:
btw Cyclo, your references to 'my party' are funny. I am an Independent.

That's common amongst many of your kind these days Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 09:32 am
maporsche wrote:
What a frustrating campaign.

I've realized today that I DO like Obama.

I do not like how his followers are acting.

Echo that! <grumbles>

maporsche wrote:
And after this campaign, I'll probably take a 6 month news break.

Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 09:49 am
cyphercat wrote:
I know! I mean, come on Obama, why are you letting Bear call people smug dicks? It really burns me up how Obama lets people on the internet get carried away like that.

Clever clever Smile

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I've been relegated to ignorant dick status around here ever since i said i didn't trust Obama or support him... by people who supposedly used to be my cypher friends for many years around here... and my non support of Obama was ALL IT TOOK to change that....

Ummm... reality check here - I think any negative reactions you got had a lot more to do with how you slammed Obama and everyone supporting him and declared that Hillary was gonna win, "get used to it", than that you criticized him and praised her :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 09:55 am
Re: Bear
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Bear, I have the solution. Lets all vote for Michele Obama. She's a better speaker than Barack anyway---and just as smart. She Black and a Woman. I like her a lot. I also like Elizabeth Edwards a lot.
Problem solved. If Barack is so smart, why didn't he think of this solution long ago?
BBB

If we're voting for the spouses I'm afraid it's still a Clinton for me, BBB. Sorry honey. Love ya though.

Bear, not to worry. The snow is light today so I can get out of my driveway. I will be dragging my poor old body to my New Mexico presinct's caucus Tuesday afternoon to vote for Senator Hillary Clinton.

BBB
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:11 am
nimh wrote:
cyphercat wrote:
I know! I mean, come on Obama, why are you letting Bear call people smug dicks? It really burns me up how Obama lets people on the internet get carried away like that.

Clever clever Smile

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I've been relegated to ignorant dick status around here ever since i said i didn't trust Obama or support him... by people who supposedly used to be my cypher friends for many years around here... and my non support of Obama was ALL IT TOOK to change that....

Ummm... reality check here - I think any negative reactions you got had a lot more to do with how you slammed Obama and everyone supporting him and declared that Hillary was gonna win, "get used to it", than that you criticized him and praised her :wink:

I didn't slam anyone... I merely expressed my feelkings about the candidate... don't confuse slamming with slamming BACK....I still believe Hillary is going to win... but I've pretty much lost interest in the whole thing after once again observing that the electorate is interested in style and gossip style news reporting on the whole. we're doomed no matter what and we're the enemy.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:12 am
PS... the republican spin machine will rip Obama a new ass hole in the general. He's the nominee they want, believe it.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:25 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
nimh wrote:
cyphercat wrote:

Clever clever Smile

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I didn't slam anyone... I merely expressed my feelkings about the candidate... don't confuse slamming with slamming BACK....I still believe Hillary is going to win... but I've pretty much lost interest in the whole thing after once again observing that the electorate is interested in style and gossip style news reporting on the whole. we're doomed no matter what and we're the enemy.

I remember one thread where you were hoping that Clinton would start slamming Obama to counter all his attacks against her. Several people challenged you to say what attacks you were referring to and as I recall, you came up short. I can appreciate your strong support of Clinton (who I think has both benefited and been targeted for her front runner status), but I think some of the reaction you've experienced has not been due to your lack of support for Obama, but your agressive defense of Clinton.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:29 am
nimh wrote:
maporsche wrote:

Echo that! <grumbles>

Not to stir the pot, but I'm curious how exactly Obama "followers" are acting that is so off-putting. I wonder, for instance, if it compares at all with the kinds of comments you can read from Hillary supporters at the bottom of just about every online article on the subject. Maybe I'm just missing half the picture or not paying close enough attention.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:56 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Not to stir the pot, but I'm curious how exactly Obama "followers" are acting that is so off-putting. I wonder, for instance, if it compares at all with the kinds of comments you can read from Hillary supporters at the bottom of just about every online article on the subject. Maybe I'm just missing half the picture or not paying close enough attention.

Maybe it's the sites I read, but I come across a lot more posts by Obama supporters than Hillary supporters.. there's usually just a couple of those around. And they're usually less well spoken and articulate, which increases their underdog status.

So yeah it may be that because there are simply so many more Obama posters than Hillary posters, that you'll also have a lot more brash, condescendingly agressive, smug and intolerant ones too, and those are the ones you tend to remember.. maybe. I dunno.

I guess there's two general streaks that have stuck in my craw, to just handle a particularly unreasonably broad brush.

One is the presentation of Obama's side as the smart and educated one and Hillary supporters just being "the great unwashed". It's true that Hillary draws more of her support from those with lower income and education (which draws me to her, if anything), while Obama's core support remains the overlapping groups of the well-educated and well-off. But I hate the condescending classism that sometimes shines through the comments of Obama supporters. Where it's clear that they look down on Clinton supporters, and consider themselves to be better able to make the right choice because they have a higher education. Well, guess what, it's the better educated half of the population that has been voting in Republicans all these years. More working class type people dont need a graduate degree to sense which of the candidates is more sensitive to where they're coming from..

The other thing is this politics of zeal and persuasion. And yeah, thats hard to quantify... I mean, a lot of the Obama = messianic stuff borders on smears. And genuine enthusiasm and spiritedness is actually a very good thing. But there is just something about many Obama supporters, like - you cant have a level-headed critical conversation with 'em anymore, they're too invested, they'll just campaign at you. And I dont wanna be campaigned at, I can make up my own mind thank you very much, I just wanna shoot some bull about politics. No, I cant draw the line/border between this stuff either, it's just something you feel...

Like, OK - imagine this scene. You're in a neighbourhood pub, sitting at the bar or at the big round table, some people hanging out there too, a conversation strikes up. Everyone's got their say, everyone's got something to grumble about, you're just shooting the crap. Then this young guy joins the conversation, and he's, like, a believer. Starts trying to convince you that his guy is just special, is different, starts rolling out the whole campaign leaflet stuff. Every time someone comes out with some opinion, he namechecks the date and speech involved and gives you his candidate's talking points, and most, most of all, just genuinely and empathically implores you that his guy, now he is a Good Man and can just be Trusted!

Yeah, yeah, caricature I know Very Happy But that guy would be the Obama guy :wink: .

(Well, the moderate version. The batshit insane version of same would be a Ron Paul guy.)

And there's nothing wrong with him, and its a good thing that there's guys like him and a better thing still that so many more people have been moved to that kind of conviction in these elections than in many past -- its just that you want him on the streetcorner winning souls, not at your table in the pub Laughing
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:58 am
FreeDuck wrote:
nimh wrote:
maporsche wrote:

Echo that! <grumbles>

I reference those that I 'speak' with here. I do not read the comments below articles that you are referring to.

And the off-putting, like I mentioned, is the "holier than thou" attitude, and the double-standards. Things like Obama's campaigning in FL have been ignored and even EXCUSED, wheras if Clinton did it she would have been blasted.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:08 am
nimh wrote:
But that guy would be the Obama guy :wink:

Oh and I'm well aware of the irony here.. :wink:

Because, well, in a real-life pub I'm not anything like this, but online, yeah, I know, I would be the guy taking out his little notebook to fact-check the exact polling numbers whenever someone blurts out something about candidate X or Y doing good, and interrupt the conversation to annoyingly bang on about the exact data regarding this and that and such and so

<cue people deciding it's time to go to the loo> Razz
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:08 am
maporsche wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
nimh wrote:
maporsche wrote:

Echo that! <grumbles>

I reference those that I 'speak' with here. I do not read the comments below articles that you are referring to.

And the off-putting, like I mentioned, is the "holier than thou" attitude, and the double-standards. Things like Obama's campaigning in FL have been ignored and even EXCUSED, wheras if Clinton did it she would have been blasted.

Oh, it works both ways - I've been called a Republican, must be, for 'hating' Hillary. There are no logical reasons not to like Hillary, after all, it's always hate and buying into Republican frames. Misogyny. Men who are afraid of a woman taking power.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:10 am
See, speaking as an Obama supporter, that's the kind of thing that's so hard to let go!

maporsche wrote:

Man, that sounds awful. The hypocricy!

When in fact it was (how many? two?) ads that appeared on national cable channels (just CNN and MSNBC I think) and that couldn't be removed just for Florida, even though the Obama campaign tried to. Nothing local for example.

This vs. Hillary going to several fund-raisers in Florida (technically, not campaigning and therefore exempt) and getting airtime while doing it (the greeting of luminaries on the tarmac and such), and her whole "I want to let your voices be heard (even though I already agreed that they wouldn't be)" thing which got a whole lot of press and could easily be considered campaigning, itself. Plus showing up there to claim her "victory" in a big rally.

<shrug>

Some I try to let go, others are harder.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:13 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Oh, it works both ways - I've been called a Republican, must be, for 'hating' Hillary. There are no logical reasons not to like Hillary, after all, it's always hate and buying into Republican frames. Misogyny. Men who are afraid of a woman taking power.

I haven't seen it, at least not here....but I may be wrong.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:19 am
nimh wrote:
that you'll also have a lot more brash, condescendingly agressive, smug and intolerant ones too, and those are the ones you tend to remember.. maybe. I dunno.

YES!

Quote:
Where it's clear that they look down on Clinton supporters, and consider themselves to be better able to make the right choice because they have a higher education.

I get this feeling in my conversations as well. The thing is that I am college educated, and my household income is over 120k, not too bad for a 28 year old. I don't like being talked down to, and that is what some posters here tend to do.

Quote:

The other thing is this politics of zeal and persuasion.....they're too invested,

When a candidate is built up this much, there can't be anything but a let down.

Quote:

(Well, the moderate version. The batshit insane version of same would be a Ron Paul guy.)

Perfect comparison.

Great post overall, I agree with almost all of what you posted.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:34 am
I guess I really am watching a different channel than everyone else. I never noticed what nimh describes and never thought of Obama's supporters as the well-educated higher class looking down their noses at Hillary supporters who are less educated working class, etc... I always saw Hillary as establishment with the establishment support that comes with it, and Obama as the insurgent with the insurgent support that comes with that. And as far as looking down their noses, is their anything more dismissive and condescending than implying that Obama supporters are cultish (read brainwashed)?

I think that every campaign has zealous, evangelizing supporters. Or at least, every campaign with a fighting chance does. And while I understand what both nimh and maporsche are describing, I'm having trouble coming up with a particularly illustrative example to hang my hat on.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:38 am
maporsche wrote:
nimh wrote:
that you'll also have a lot more brash, condescendingly agressive, smug and intolerant ones too, and those are the ones you tend to remember.. maybe. I dunno.

YES!

Just to be clear, you realize that nimh was talking about the really nasty pro-Hillary comments here right? Or do I have that wrong?
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:43 am
Signature of an Obama supporter on DailyKos....

"He's more than just a normal man. Normal men don't do what Obama has done."
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:44 am
FreeDuck wrote:
maporsche wrote:
nimh wrote:

YES!

Just to be clear, you realize that nimh was talking about the really nasty pro-Hillary comments here right? Or do I have that wrong?

Here's his full quote. I read it differently.

Quote:
So yeah it may be that because there are simply so many more Obama posters than Hillary posters, that you'll also have a lot more brash, condescendingly agressive, smug and intolerant ones too, and those are the ones you tend to remember.. maybe. I dunno.

Basically, because there are more Obama posters, there are more brash condescendingly agressive, smug and intolerant ones too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:49 am
Ok. I took the paragraph before it and got the wrong impression, apparently. But that makes sense.
0 Replies