I'm going To Switch My Support To John Edwards

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 12:19 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Ramafuchs wrote:
However the election turns, our delusional democracy with delusional prosperity will continue. Millions of misspent dollars will be devoted to the 2008 presidential election by both parties. Our political system will continue to deliver money to the mainstream media and an army of consultants and pundits, while we the people - at best - are entertained by bipartisan chicanery - and become poorer.

Our democracy has been down so long, it looks like normal.
http://www.opednews.com/articles/2/opedne_joel_s___061031_the_election_to_nowh.htm

Why the numerous references to "our" democracy, or "our" political system?? It isn't yours at all. You have described your self as a marxist, atheist, citizen of India and resident of Germany. Surely there is enough in either of those countries to engage your neurotic fantisies.

He's quoting the article that he linked to.

Maybe, dull that edge a little?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 12:28 pm
By quoting with relevant link I bring the reality into limelight.
Neither in India where i was born nor in Germany where i live the definition of democracy is as a showy business as in USA.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 12:49 pm
A huge part of the problem with this Eternally long run for the nomination is the coverage, the media, our technologically savvy world that keeps us tuned in non-stop.

The whole thing is a ridiculous and too long a marathon. How do you expect either Obama or Clinton to not get surly?

When it all comes down to it, any of the 3, Obama, Clinton, Edwards would all be good nominees.

F*** the feeding frenzy.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 03:07 pm
Yes! Everyone, go for it. Switch to Edwards! He deserves some respect already. He's certainly the one I'd vote for if I could.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 03:25 pm
The best unfulfilled Dreamers
who export DEMOCRACY
abundantly and extravantly
around the globe
should spend the contributers money
in a betterway.

Allow the administrations to enjoy their fun
and allow not the criminal barbaric fooling around.

Thanks a lot BUSH
You are the uniter
And we are united
against barbarism
criminal corruption
and contagerous consume-oriented compassionate conservatism
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 04:19 pm
Get used to it. Unless Obama and Edwards quit the campaign, or Hillary leaves them in the dust, its only going to get worse.

Wasn't Obama supposed to be different?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 04:37 pm
some people believed that...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 04:44 pm
Edwards was my first pick from the start. I'm still voting for him in my states primary, even if he doesn't have a chance. I'll sleep better at night.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 04:52 pm
one thing I have to agree with... the Wal Mart comment was a slap across the face.... but the Resco comeback was a major kick in the balls.... Hillary can hold her own.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 04:53 pm
As a critical person
i had picked up a guy
who uphold my views( partially)
among the corporate sponsed candidates.
voice will prevail
and
the noise will subside.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 05:02 pm
One thing's for certain. A group of people can watch the exact same thing and one will see it completely different than the person sitting next to them.

It's amazing.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 05:08 pm
if everyone saw things exactly the same and with clarity.... I'd be president. :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 06:30 pm
;-)

I dunno, I find this whole thing extremely depressing. What did Obama do in the debate that was so awful? He noted (correctly) that Hillary was on the Wal-Mart board of directors. He defended his own record against misrepresentations. (And there were misrepresentations. If anyone doubts that I can go get evidence.) He noted that misrepresentations were being made.

Then he chilled out and said things like he'd have to check out Bill Clinton's dancing ability to decide whether he's a brother.

The guy's been on the receiving end of a barrage of half-truths and worse for quite a while now, coming from both Hillary and Bill Clinton. Ignoring that barrage isn't a viable option.

Does anyone doubt that if Edwards starts to pose a real threat to Hillary that he wouldn't be put in the exact same position, except that he probably provides more ammo? That he wouldn't have to make a similar choice between ignoring and fighting back, and then being called a mud-slinger right along with Hillary, even if it's just in reaction to her?

That if he stays above the fray and doesn't directly address things, perfectly nice, decent people who follow the news but maybe not that closely would come across with impressions like "he took the race issue and ran with it"? (Though it'd be something more specific to Edwards, of course.)

Hillary wasn't doing this stuff when Obama was way behind her in the polls. It only started when he won Iowa and proved that he might actually be able to get the nomination.

All of that said, I tend to agree with James Clyburn here:

Quote:
"Campaigns for primaries are a part of the preliminaries," he says. "And you've got to get toughened up in the preliminaries in order to do well in the finals. So it seems to me that if we know this kind of thing's out there, you would do well to experience this during the preliminaries so that you will know how to adjust to it or react to it when you get into the finals. And so I would say, as unfair as some of this may be, get used to it. Because if you're around for the general election, you're going to have to come face to face with it."

So in a way, the Clintons and their surrogates are doing Obama a favor?

"Could well be," Clyburn says. "Whoever's doing this could very well be doing this guy a great favor. Because if he survives it, he'll be a much better candidate. If he doesn't survive it, he wouldn't survive it."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Story?id=4163442&page=3

I'm just going to be depressed as hell if this is the way Hillary gets the nomination. If she bested Obama on policy stuff, on pure debate performance (fluidity vs. stuttering, catching opponents' errors rather than letting them pass), on ability to connect with voters, fine. May the best person win. I like a lot about her and I like that a woman is running who has a real shot, I love that I was researching something on Romney's site and my daughter looked at the picture of Romney and his wife and said "which one is running?"

But if she wins dirty, because of things like purposely misrepresenting her opponents' positions and record -- well, I can't see myself voting Republican and I can't see myself not voting at all so I'll just have to rail against a stupid electoral system that rewards this kind of behavior.

And I'm very worried that things will end up going that way.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 07:19 pm
I think that if you look into the history of previous campaigns, primaries included, you will find that this is nothing new. The election is about more than just the policy proposals of the candidates. It is about their characters, their abilities (or lack of them), and the basic principles they apply to situations. While our election process is very far from perfect, it does tend to expose many of these other things (though not always successfully).

After all it is the Congress that legislates - at most the President proposes legislation --whatever may be finally enacted will reflect much more than just his wishes. I think most of the "my plan vs his/her plan" stuff is just posturing for the various interest groups in each party. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of all the rhetoric is just which interest groups the candidates emphasize in their appeals.

Both Woodrow Wilson and FDR campaigned on promises to keep the country out of European wars. History now reveals that both were actually planning the opposite. George Bush campaigned on the promise of a lower profile and more humility in our international relations. The historical record isn't in yet but it will be interesting to discover how all that changed or just what he and his advisers were thinking.

With all of that in mind, how wise is it to base our judgements solely on the specific elements of the candidates' campaign rhetoric? Frankly, I think most of us assemble our positions from this and many other sources and impressions as well. All of the sound and fury does provide useful understanding to at least some, and disorderly as it is, it is better to uncover flaws now than later.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 07:59 pm
sozobe wrote:
;-)

I dunno, I find this whole thing extremely depressing.

This what Obama is counting on.

What did Obama do in the debate that was so awful?

Nothing except foiling his own strategy. He went on the offense.

Then he chilled out and said things like he'd have to check out Bill Clinton's dancing ability to decide whether he's a brother.

This one got lost in the shuffle, and luckily he stopped at "dancing," although it would have been hysterical if had said Bill's member would have to be measured, and Hillary still chimed in "That can be arranged!"

The guy's been on the receiving end of a barrage of half-truths and worse for quite a while now, coming from both Hillary and Bill Clinton. Ignoring that barrage isn't a viable option.

You're right. It wasn't an option, but his campaign would have been much better off if he had found a way to confront the Clinton's tactics in general and at the outset of the debate, and then repeatedly refused, verbally, to sink to trading insults.

Does anyone doubt that if Edwards starts to pose a real threat to Hillary that he wouldn't be put in the exact same position, except that he probably provides more ammo? That he wouldn't have to make a similar choice between ignoring and fighting back, and then being called a mud-slinger right along with Hillary, even if it's just in reaction to her?

Of course not. Whomever is a threat to the Clintons' ambitions will get the same treatment --- whatever it takes.

Hillary wasn't doing this stuff when Obama was way behind her in the polls. It only started when he won Iowa and proved that he might actually be able to get the nomination.

Absolutely, and it will continue until she leaves him in the dust

All of that said, I tend to agree with James Clyburn here:

So in a way, the Clintons and their surrogates are doing Obama a favor?

For other candidates perhaps, but not for the one that needs to stay above the fray no matter who he is running against.

I'm just going to be depressed as hell if this is the way Hillary gets the nomination.

Better stock up on prozac

I like a lot about her

Like what?

and I like that a woman is running who has a real shot,

Enough so that you will vote for her even though she depresses you with her tactics?

But if she wins dirty, because of things like purposely misrepresenting her opponents' positions and record -- well, I can't see myself voting Republican and I can't see myself not voting at all so I'll just have to rail against a stupid electoral system that rewards this kind of behavior.

Seems like a cop out. If she wins dirty by lying, it will not be the fault of the electoral system.

And I'm very worried that things will end up going that way.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 09:19 pm
Martin Luther King III to John Edwards: "Keep going. Keep fighting."

Quote:
January 20, 2008

Dear Senator Edwards:

It was good meeting with you yesterday and discussing my father's legacy. On the day when the nation will honor my father, I wanted to follow up with a personal note.

There has been, and will continue to be, a lot of back and forth in the political arena over my father's legacy. It is a commentary on the breadth and depth of his impact that so many people want to claim his legacy. I am concerned that we do not blur the lines and obscure the truth about what he stood for: speaking up for justice for those who have no voice.

I appreciate that on the major issues of health care, the environment, and the economy, you have framed the issues for what they are - a struggle for justice. And, you have almost single-handedly made poverty an issue in this election.

You know as well as anyone that the 37 million people living in poverty have no voice in our system. They don't have lobbyists in Washington and they don't get to go to lunch with members of Congress. Speaking up for them is not politically convenient. But, it is the right thing to do.

I am disturbed by how little attention the topic of economic justice has received during this campaign. I want to challenge all candidates to follow your lead, and speak up loudly and forcefully on the issue of economic justice in America.

From our conversation yesterday, I know this is personal for you. I know you know what it means to come from nothing. I know you know what it means to get the opportunities you need to build a better life. And, I know you know that injustice is alive and well in America, because millions of people will never get the same opportunities you had.

I believe that now, more than ever, we need a leader who wakes up every morning with the knowledge of that injustice in the forefront of their minds, and who knows that when we commit ourselves to a cause as a nation, we can make major strides in our own lifetimes. My father was not driven by an illusory vision of a perfect society. He was driven by the certain knowledge that when people of good faith and strong principles commit to making things better, we can change hearts, we can change minds, and we can change lives.

So, I urge you: keep going. Ignore the pundits, who think this is a horserace, not a fight for justice. My dad was a fighter. As a friend and a believer in my father's words that injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere, I say to you: keep going. Keep fighting. My father would be proud.

Sincerely,
Martin L. King, III

Source: MSNBC
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 09:23 pm
Edwards has always been my favorite among the three.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 09:24 pm
Interesting letter nimh. I don't know much about MLK3, but base on this I now like him and I agree with him.

Does anyone think Obama or Clinton will pick Edwards as a running mate? They both need to appeal more to southern white males and that's exactly what Edwards is. Does anyone think Edwards would accept the #2 slot again?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 09:33 pm
Between women voting for Hillary and black people voting for Obama and the lack of money Edwards is F@$KED.

But my candidate never wins anyways.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:04 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Interesting letter nimh. I don't know much about MLK3, but base on this I now like him and I agree with him.

Does anyone think Obama or Clinton will pick Edwards as a running mate? They both need to appeal more to southern white males and that's exactly what Edwards is. Does anyone think Edwards would accept the #2 slot again?

Who is MLK III? Well, he's not MLK Jr.

He seems like a fairly decent fellow, and I'm sure it has been a trial all it's own to bear his father's name.

Larry Eldar defines him in terms of who he is not, which says less about MLK III than about the quality of many contemporary leaders of the Black Community.

It's hard to say how genuine his regard for Edwards, as expressed in the letter to former senator, may actually be and how much the letter reflects a political alliance, but one thing is certain, an endorsement by the son is not an endorsement by the father.

Who is MLK III?

In 1997, King was unanimously elected to head the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), a civil rights organization founded by his father. At the helm, King's relationship with some board members deteriorated. Chairman Claud Young briefly suspended King in 2001, citing absence from the office and erratic communication. King left the SCLC in January 2004 to take over the King Center for Nonviolent Social Change from his brother, Dexter Scott King.

Defense of MLK III

Of the 41-year-old bachelor's persona, the Los Angeles Times says, "He doesn't inspire people, his detractors say, he doesn't have his father's oratorical gifts (though few do) ... " and "somewhat shy, he lives with his mother in the same house where he grew up." To many SCLC members, King III lacks fire. "'We got to get back to the streets,' said Richard Turner, a 72-year-old carpenter in rural Georgia. 'Talk ain't worth a damn if you don't do something.'" Poor King III.

Commercial for MLK III

King III motivates audiences around the world with his poignant message of hope and responsibility. His vision of a positive future built upon the principles taught by his father has touched thousands all over the world, and moved them to focus on a better and more equal tomorrow.

WHo is MLK III?

Martin King III is the first, and so far only, member of his family to hold elective office. He served as a Democratic county commissioner in Fulton County, of which Atlanta is the county seat, from 1987 to 1993.

His political career was spotted by allegations of improprieties, including allegations that a staff member, a cousin, misappropriated county-owned cars.

In 1993, King ran for the post of county commission chairman and lost to Republican Mitch Skandalakis, in what was considered at the time to be an upset.

Since that time, the soft-spoken King, who is single and lives with his mother, Coretta Scott King, has been lecturer around the country on issues of human rights and community activism.

In speeches, King has supported the teaching of ebonics and urged blacks not to fight in the Persian Gulf War. He's sided with his younger brother, Dexter, in the assertion that confessed assassin James Earl Ray did not kill his father.

In 1990, he issued an apology after telling a student group in New York that gay people have "a problem."

As for whether or not Edwards will be offered the VP spot by Clinton or Obama --- I doubt it. Would he accept the invitation? I think he would in a heartbeat.
0 Replies