I'm going To Switch My Support To John Edwards

Gala

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:27 am
Well, their behaviour is risky, but they'll work it out. Once there's a nominee they'll unite as a party. Just imagine the beating either one of them is going to get once their Republican rivals get their hands on them?

Now that's going to be ugly...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:28 am
If we continue along on this track, I think the reconciliation at the end will just be a matter of show. McCain may have buried the hatchet with Bush in public, but I doubt they're drinking buddies.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:32 am
Some talking head said last night that Obama and Hillary's dislike of one another is obvious. I don't see that.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:32 am
engineer wrote:
If we continue along on this track, I think the reconciliation at the end will just be a matter of show. McCain may have buried the hatchet with Bush in public, but I doubt they're drinking buddies.

bingo
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:33 am
The rift will be enough that neither will choose the other to be their running mate.

John Edwards must be feeling pretty good at the moment. Fer cryin' outloud, he's been busting his tail and keeps coming up short.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:38 am
Gala wrote:
The rift will be enough that neither will choose the other to be their running mate.

I'd fall down in a faint if either of them chose the other. Obama has already dismissed the notion and i don't think anyone has had the balls to even ask Hillary that question yet.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:42 am
eoe wrote:
Gala wrote:

I'd fall down in a faint if either of them chose the other. Obama has already dismissed the notion and i don't think anyone has had the balls to ask Hillary that question yet.

In the early stages I thought Obama, being the junior senator would possibly accept the the vice presidency. Never once did I think Hillary Clinton would accept the position. Now, it appears they'll have Bill Richardson to choose from? seeing as Edwards has said no, not this time.

One thing about what Ralph Wiggum said about Mcain and Bush not being buddies-- if Mcain had aligned himself with Bush he would not be in the running this time around.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:48 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I do... only too well.

My bump!
My bump!
My lovely polar bump!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:51 am
Re: I'm going To Switch My Support To John Edwards
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
If BOTH Hillary and Obama don't stop acting like a.s.s. h.o.l.e.s.

Fun to watch but no good for the country

Why do you disapprove - it is a hotly contested political debate, and the stakes are high for both of them? Certainly the whole thing is very much in keeping with American political tradition. Google news reports about the 1948 Truman-Dewey election; or the 1952 Eisenhower-Stevenson campaign; or any of those since then. The primaries were usually even more contentious.

I find it a bit odd that Democrats have become so tender towards their current icons.

Is the country really ill-served? We get to see through the carefully crafted political veneers in the process.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:01 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Certainly the whole thing is very much in keeping with American political tradition.

That's just what we're trying to get away from. Look at how much time was wasted last night.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:04 am
Well, I didn't watch the debate, so I'll accept your and bipolar's interpretation. If they look like a-holes, perhaps they really are. (If it walks like a duck....).
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:07 am
I don't think they looked like a-holes. I think they looked like two people battling for the nomination. Obama has made his point that he can tangle if he wants to, but there's no doubt from watching who enjoys that kind of thing more.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:24 am
to me they looked like it....both of them... then again I expect nothing more from ANY political leader.... so just give me the one I think can run my country most efficiently....

No one has more to lose from a shitty economy than a Bear who depends on discretionary spending for a living....
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:25 am
Well, I think Bipolar bear disagrees. I checked with my wife who did watch the debate, and she agrees with Bear\, saying that Hillary was shrill & aggressive and Obama ill-tempered.

I believe the truth is that - in South Carolina particularly - they are both battling for the support of the same cxonstituency, one that has attained a somewhat unrealistic iconic status in the Democrat party. This leaves both candidates with few objective policy distinctions they dare argue about, however, still stuck in a hotly contested campaign where the stakes are really high. What else can they do but quibble?

Obama wins the 'blackness' test without doing anything. Hillary probably sees him as an upstart who only recently joined the field and who (in a better world) would/should wait his turn. These very real aspects of the contest are of no interest to the general public, however important they may be to the candidates themselves.

I find it amusing.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:30 am
However the election turns, our delusional democracy with delusional prosperity will continue. Millions of misspent dollars will be devoted to the 2008 presidential election by both parties. Our political system will continue to deliver money to the mainstream media and an army of consultants and pundits, while we the people – at best – are entertained by bipartisan chicanery – and become poorer.

Our democracy has been down so long, it looks like normal.
http://www.opednews.com/articles/2/opedne_joel_s___061031_the_election_to_nowh.htm
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:35 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, Bear. I've always liked Edwards more than any of the other candidates and I adore Elizabeth. I'm thinking about it.

BBB

Personally, I like Edwards the best, however, he doesn't have a complete policy plan - all he talks about (or most of what he says) is about some little girl and not getting the transplant she needed and therefore issues with health insurance and here and there he mentions the poor - it comes across as if he is only looking to help the poor - not that there is anything at all wrong with that - just simply who will vote for him? Unfortunately the poor are least likely to vote.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:35 am
Why I'm considering changing my support to Edwards
Why I'm considering changing my support to Edwards.

Watch the video:
http://www.johnedwards.com/watch/sc-debate/
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:40 am
I'm still deciding which primary to vote in though - the Democrat or Republican.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:47 am
from the little bit i watched, hillary and obama allso looked like assholes, both of them. obama seems to be getting impatient and is handling his campaign worse and worse. he also strikes me as more vague than others. he'll criticize hillary's and edwards health care plans, and then proceeds to say something royally abstract as 'i want to bring the cost of healthcare down!".... duh..... who doesn't? tell us how. .... and i don't appreciate his often messianic rhetorics....but that's not a major point, just a style point.

anyway, both irritate me now and i'm almost (almost!) glad i don't have to vote.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:58 am
Ramafuchs wrote:
However the election turns, our delusional democracy with delusional prosperity will continue. Millions of misspent dollars will be devoted to the 2008 presidential election by both parties. Our political system will continue to deliver money to the mainstream media and an army of consultants and pundits, while we the people – at best – are entertained by bipartisan chicanery – and become poorer.

Our democracy has been down so long, it looks like normal.
http://www.opednews.com/articles/2/opedne_joel_s___061031_the_election_to_nowh.htm

Why the numerous references to "our" democracy, or "our" political system?? It isn't yours at all. You have described your self as a marxist, atheist, citizen of India and resident of Germany. Surely there is enough in either of those countries to engage your neurotic fantisies.
0 Replies