Major family feud

dant

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:28 pm
Hi A2K'ers,

I am new to this forum. Looks like lots of interesting subjects.

I don't see one about this problem, although I am sure it's come up before somewhere.

A few years ago, our elderly mom was placed in a nursing home. I had been in charge of her checkbook for a number of years and never spent a dime that wasn't approved by her or for her. She knew this and appreciated it.

A couple of years ago I had to give the monies - via the checkbook- over to my sibling because I had to move from the area. Husband got transferred. Said sibling assured me that he would take care of her money and 'if you can't trust family you can't trust anyone'. He seemed solid financially, so I looked him in the eye and handed it over.

Well, lo and behold, I get the bank statement a few months later and sibling had relieved my mom of over 1/2 her money! This money was supposed to be kept in place FOR HER use, to take care of whatever needs she had, like getting a good dentist for her which sibling didn't bother with, or whatever she needed to make her comfortable. I went ballistic and phoned & asked what the hell he thought he was doing. He says he asked mom and mom was ok with letting him have the money, which he used to buy a motorcycle! Now, mom had dementia and was not able to care for herself at all (why she was in skilled nursing facility). Asking her for money was like asking a child. And he knew it.

I took the next plane and demanded that my brother be required to have two signatures on the checks, one being mine, before he (or we) could cash them. I should have done this in the first place but I never thought he could be so low to do this. Ended up that I took back the checkbook completely (with the 2 sigs required, which was what I wanted) and kept a tight rein on what was left. He said he'd pay back what he took; never has. Mom was worried about her money and actually mentioned it to me a year before she died. I didn't tell her what he did, but I did tell her not to worry about it. She seemed relieved to know that I had the financial reins again.

Sadly, mom died in 2006 (creepy sibling could have waited just a year Rolling Eyes he would have gotten his lousy approx 1/2 the money anyway). I really railed on my sibling and let him know what I thought of him and his wife a year before mom died. Found out that his wife had used quite a bit of cash for her custom kitchen. I did this by letter, I was so angry at what he had done and how he had scammed me & mom. He let me know that 'when mom dies it won't be an expensive affair'. Excuse me? I am the eldest and that is my decision as well, not his. He was resentful in years past at my giving mom and dad a 50th wedding anniversary party, which wasn't expensive and was paid for by me - and also resented money he had to come up with for mom's 80th birthday party! It was a family/old friends affair at the assisted living building where she lived and was not 'expensive', just a cake, etc. Not a huge event with a hundred people at all. Just something to make her smile. Why would he resent her having these events? Mom was a loving, sweet person and I can't believe she raised this spoiled person.

The point of all this rambling is that I cannot forgive brother for this behavior. This is my only sibling. I have received no apology from him or his wife; we barely spoke to one another at her funeral. I guess what pisses me off the most is that he didn't even talk to me before he nearly wiped out her account, he just took it like he was entitled or something. Should I have it out with him again? Or just let things sit? His wife is behind much of this. What to do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,067 • Replies: 84
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:40 pm
Let it be. You can't put the **** back in the Donkey. It's only money, and it's gone. You wouldn't have sold your brother for money, so there's no sense hating him over it either. Forgive him and move on. Call him right now and wish him a Merry Christmas.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:43 pm
What would you like to see happen?

You could demand an apology from your brother (if that would make you feel better) or you could write another letter and let them know how angry you are at their selfishness, but what would change?

You're still angry. An apology probably isn't forthcoming and you need to figure out what kind of relationship you want to have (if any) with your brother and sister-in-law.

Unfortunately in these cases, both sides tend to think they are 100% right. Other than swallowing your anger, which is admittedly difficult, or convincing your brother that he was an idiot, what type of compromise do you see?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:44 pm
I could not just forgive and forget here.

It's not about the money, it's about abuse. Many levels of that here.

Why do you want an apology? And if you get one, is everything roses again?

RH
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:52 pm
They will never give the money back.

He thinks he was smart in asking his mom for money. Since she had no clue what was going on, he knew it was guaranteed.
He is a scum bag and no amount of screaming, fighting, or writting letters is going to change that.

Even if he sold everything he bought with that money right now, he would never have the full amount.

Let him dwell in his " unearned income"

If you could.. write it off as a cash gift from your mom to him on her taxes.
make him pay for it if possible.

Im sorry you had to go through this.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:59 pm
Perhaps I'm misreading, but I gather that the brother is the only family dant has still living. If so, and he doesn't do anything to resolve his anger, then he will remain estranged from his (?) only relative.

That's a big decision to make which is why I'm interested in what he sees as a good outcome.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 09:02 pm
Agreed as to the situation and severity.

Crossroads are difficult, but important.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 09:24 pm
Well, is it really that bad to be estranged from relatives, even if it happens
to be the only brother? I would not like to have contact to someone, regardless if brother or not, who would cheat out his elderly mother of
half of her net worth.

This was a very callous and selfish act, what makes anyone think
this brother has changed? All you'd get from him is more heartaches.
No thank you! would be my reply.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 09:37 pm
He probably hasn't changed. dant needs to decide if she wants to swallow her anger or if she wants to go through life being angry. I do wish it was something different that was pissing her off the most.

dant wrote:
I was so angry at what he had done and how he had scammed me & mom.

dant wrote:
I am the eldest and that is my decision as well, not his.

dant wrote:
I guess what pisses me off the most is that he didn't even talk to me before he nearly wiped out her account, he just took it like he was entitled or something.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 09:40 pm
In thought with Rockhead, Shewolf and Jane. I am beside myself after reading your story and I would have gone balistic, just like you did. I also wouldn't want this person in my life, therefor, I would let it rest where it is.

After all, he has to live inside his own skin, the rest of his life ;-)

I'm sorry you had to go through this!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 09:50 pm
JPB is saying most of what I'm thinking, she is just nicer, and more eloquent.

This is more about what is in dant's wants and ethics.

One must live within the bounds of their own conscience....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 09:55 pm
I used to harbor all sorts of harsh feelings against my siblings (including one that isn't all that dissimilar from dant's brother) until my parents died and my siblings were the only common thread to my past. Unless her anger is keeping her brother awake at night, she's the one it's hurting. Carrying anger around eats away at you and keeps on eating until you find a way to let it go.

The options she posted were to have it out with him or to let it sit. Neither of those options are going to relieve her anger.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 10:00 pm
This is a jumping off point.

Where do you want the rest of your life to go, and what kind of relationships further your goals....

Resentment and anger are like cancer in the soul.

RH
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 10:03 pm
no one will ever betray you or hurt you than the ones you allow yourself to trust the most, which is generally family. Write him off.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 12:50 am
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 12:58 am
dant, you've had some good advice here. Question: does he expect to get half of what's left? Are you going to give it to him?

I'm glad you know him for the snake he is, but did you really not know this before?

I'm really sorry you're going through this, and agree with others that you need to do whatever it takes to relieve the anger and disappointment. You don't deserve to be carrying that around with you and it's like taint on your memories of your mother.

I also don't believe blood is thicker than water, but that's a choice you'll be making for yourself.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 01:08 am
Yep. You have to do what you can live comfortably with, irregardless of others' experiences. Many of my relatives have tried to soften my stance towards my brother but I'm right as rain on it. If I'm wrong to feel this way, to hold this against him then I guess someday I'll find that out but until then, this is where I'm at.

The key is living with your decision and not letting other family members especially dictate how you should feel, respond or react to your brothers' behavior. If you can turn and walk away from that punk then do so. If you can't then admit that and start the process of forgiveness. But whatever you do, keep your eyes open because now you know the type of man you're dealing with.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 05:36 am
Personally, I think that your brother and sister-in-law are thieves. I don't care if he is "blood". I would not want to have anything to do with a thief. He scammed your mom when she was at her most vulnerable. IMO, that is despicable.

I would "forgive" your brother in the sense that I would not dwell on the issue. I would just let it go, and be removed from my life. One does not need old hurts that dig at us. On the other hand, I would not continue any sort of relationship with him.

Who wants to be friends with a crook?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 08:27 am
As bad as this situation is and as much an a$$ as your brother and wife have been, you can't change the past. You either have to let it go or it will eat you up. Dragging it up again will only draw the two of you apart even more and cause more angst for you.

If you want any sort of relationship with him, then you need to forgive him. This doesn't mean that you think what he did was o-k and that he shouldn't apologize, it simply allows you to let go. You will feel better for it.

The other alternative - just forget about him and go on with her life.

You really have to choose for yourself - write off your brother or forgive and forget if you want to continue a relationship with him.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 08:46 am
Just because someone is "blood" does not mean that they deserve a forgiveness that you would not give anyone else.

Im agreeing with EOE on this one..

If it were my brother , I would never speak to him again.
If he is able to do that to his own mother to satisfy his greed, what will he do to you when he can?
Why keep him close enough to give him that chance?
0 Replies