The Failed Presidency.

mamajuana

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:49 am
Well, shucks, I thought we were all reasonable partisan people here.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:53 am
Laughing
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:20 am
My laundry's been hangin' out since Hector was a pup.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:04 pm
I believe it is the strategy of the Republican party to do away with the loyal opposition concept and do everything in its power to keep the Democrats from being a viable party. I only hope that when the Democrats get into office they are mean enough to return the favor.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:28 pm
I am very much afraid that P Diddie and Mamajuana are quite mistaken. If, as they claim, there is something unlawful in the Texas Legislature's Redistricting, I hope they understand that the matter can be taken to the appropriate judicial level to be settled. I hope they know that such a move will not be taken.
The moans about "unethical" and "unfair" have been heard in other venues. The minority Democrats in the Senate have quite successfully blocked several judicial nominations by President Bush.
The Democratic tactic in the Senate was bemoaned by some Republicans, but that tactic, just like the tactic used by the Texas Republicans is assuredly legal.

When the maps are re-drawn, that will insure that five or six more seats will be added to the Republican representatation of Texas in the House of Representatives in DC.

In the meantime, despite all of the Democratic posturing on how the Republicans are failing throughout the country, REALITY is catching up to the left wing.

Hollings is not running again in South Carolina. He knows he would lose to a Republican.

Edwards has signaled that he will not be running again in North Carolina since he is concentrating on the Presidency.

It is a political truism that the Democrats cannot win the Presidency without taking at least a couple of states in the South.

Does anyone know of any they have a chance of taking?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 10:03 pm
edgar, I suspect the Democrats need little help from the Republicans in the interest of reducing the viability of their Party ... they seem perfectly capable of managing that superbly all by themselves. Perhaps thats the only strength they're playing into.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 11:13 pm
Here's the lowdown on the Texas redistricting feud.
Italgato is correct, because it's the state legislative process - all legal. http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20030624-050340-6198r.htm
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 12:56 am
Thank You- CI - for an excellent link. I hope everyone interested in the topic of redistricting reads it.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:17 am
That article is dated June 24, so it really doesn't reflect much in the way of recent developments.

There's a thread on this topic with about sixty posts since June 25 and it's located here.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:06 am
PDid, Developments? If it's in the state's legislative process, what has changed? Did they change the laws? If so, how?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:54 am
Gotta go with PDiddie here, the thread for discussion of the Texas Two Step is HERE
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 12:00 pm
MoveOn.org has fashioned another banderilla for the flank of America's numero uno bull-shitter. Here's their latest email to members:

Quote:
The President says things that are misleading or just plain wrong every day, but most of these statements are never challenged. That's why we're launching Misleader.org, a new website and free daily email service for journalists and the general public to track George Bush's false statements.

You can sign up right now at:
http://www.misleader.org/

The daily dispatches will take a "Just the Facts, Ma'am" approach -- no rhetoric, just a couple of paragraphs we'll email each morning on what the President said and why it was misleading or untrue. It's our hope that by doing some of the research for the press corps, we can ensure better coverage of President Bush's lies. If you know someone who could use this kind of information, please point him or her to the site.

To launch the site, we've taken out a full page ad in the New York Times titled "Mis-State of the Union." The ad reveals how the President mislead the nation in his State of the Union speech -- not just on Iraq, but on the economy, the environment, and other important issues. You can check the ad out at:
http://www.misleader.org/pdf/nyt_ad.pdf

Here are a few juicy tidbits from our New York Times ad:

ON TAX CUTS:
George Bush: "The tax relief is for everyone who pays income taxes...Americans will keep, this year, an average of almost $1,000 more of their own money."
The Truth: Nearly half of all taxpayers get less than $100. And 31% of all taxpayers get nothing at all.

ON JOBS:
George Bush: "Our first goal is...an economy that grows fast enough to employ every man and woman who seeks a job."
The Truth: Bush is the first President since Hoover to preside over an economy that has lost jobs, not created them - more than 2.9 million since 2001.

ON THE ENVIRONMENT:
George Bush: "[My] Clear Skies legislation...mandates a 70% cut in air pollution from power plants over the next 15 years."
The Truth: The Bush plan will allow more than 100,000 additional premature deaths by 2020 than alternative legislation developed by the Environmental Protection Agency. The plan does not regulate carbon emissions and allows far more sulfur and mercury emissions.

ON EDUCATION:
George Bush: "[W]e achieved historic education reform - which must now be carried out in every school and in every classroom."
The Truth: Bush cut $8 billion from the promised funds for education.

If you'd like to receive a daily email with content like this, you can sign up right now at:
http://www.misleader.org/

When Bush was running for President, he said, "I believe everyone should be held responsible for their own personal behavior." We agree. The President has repeatedly mislead the country. Now it's time for Americans and the press to hold him responsible.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 12:51 pm
Something which comes to mind here, in consideration of the rising rhetoric from The Left, is that the last time that wing showed anywhere near so much hope, outrage, confidence, focus and energy was in 1971-'72. As I recall, the election of '72 was indeed a landslide reaction to their efforts; the Democrats carried one state. And, at the time, their party enjoyed the additional advantage of preponderant legislative incumbency, a point not in their favor this time.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:08 pm
...and look who got elected!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:12 pm
Water over the gate, LW, water over the gate Laughing
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:39 pm
Paul Krugman, a Princeton economist, had a long article in this sunday's New York Times Sunday Magazine on the Bush economic and taxing policies. And one of the point he made is that the Bush administration simply and directly lies about it's policies and their effects. He also pointed out in an interview on NPR on Friday that the Times editors would not allow him to use the word "lie" and he has had to resort to euphemisms.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:52 pm
There is something truly breathtaking in the lying as it is exercised by Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, in fact it seems everyone connected to this Cabal.

Tucker Carlson (the tow-headed bow-tied "Crossfire" conservative for those who you who are unfamiliar) reports that Karen Hughes, until last year Counselor to the President, is nearly pathological in her prevarication:

Quote:
Then I heard that [on the campaign bus, Bush communications director] Karen Hughes accused me of lying. And so I called Karen and asked her why she was saying this, and she had this almost Orwellian rap that she laid on me about how things she'd heard -- that I watched her hear -- she in fact had never heard, and she'd never heard Bush use profanity ever. It was insane.

I've obviously been lied to a lot by campaign operatives, but the striking thing about the way she lied was she knew I knew she was lying, and she did it anyway. There is no word in English that captures that. It almost crosses over from bravado into mental illness.

Salon (you'll need to sign in and look at an ad)
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:21 pm
Timber -- I don't think that's the first time you've cited the 1972 election. It's as well to remind you that we were right about Nixon.

So getting elected doesn't mean being right, or being good, or being a credit to one's nation, or worthy of your persistent defense. Unless (as one has to consider) you kind of relish lyin' and cheatin' if it's done by a conservative!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:36 pm
The only good Republican President in the last 50 years - Ford, and he wasn't elected. Go figure!!!!!!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:51 pm
I never liked Nixon myself, Tartarin. I merely point to history, and recognize you do so too. I doubt an exact repeat, that sort of thing rarely happens. However, if Bush the Younger's second term is cut short under cloud of impeachment I'll uncontentiously eat crow however you care to serve it.
0 Replies