Question for the left and right:

flaja

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:34 pm
Foofie wrote:
I said:
"I've never met anyone with German and British ancestry that are Protestant."
Now, how does that "give the impression that no Protestant has ever had both German and British ancestry," as you say above?

This is a logical conclusion to make considering the drift of this thread and your apparent ignorance of the history of German-Americans. You said that you've never met a Protestant with British and German ancestry- implying that you don't think such people don't exist. But even a cursory knowledge of history would demonstrate how wrong you are.

Quote:
I only stated what my limited experience is, since in my neck of the woods there are very few people who are either British, German or a combination.

You must not live in America then. One of the Wikipedia articles I cited earlier pointed out that German American live in every county in the U.S. If you live anywhere in the U.S. it is highly unlikely that you haven't encountered someone of German, British or German-British descent.

Quote:
I'm also wondering who, other than Jews, claim to be descended from the Hebrews??? I thought only Jews claim descent from the Hebrews?

I didn't say anything about who is claiming what. One of Abraham's ancestors was a man named Eber and historians speculate that this is where the term Hebrew comes from. If this is true, then the children of Eber would have all been Hebrews, but they wouldn't all have been ancestors of Abraham and thus were not all ancestors of the Israelites/Jews. Thus you have Hebrews who are not Israelites or Jews.

Quote:
I don't give much veracity to biblical history, as far as who descended from who. I only know that Jews celebrate Passover every year, since the Exodus story from Egypt is their story. It's not the story of Protestants who seem to have adopted these stories?

Protestants accept Jesus Christ as their Passover Lamb. Through His sacrifice on the cross and subsequent resurrection Christ paid the penalty for sin for anyone who accepts Him as their Savior. Thus, Passover does have a place in Protestant theology and custom.

Quote:
At that time they (Jews) looked quite Egyptian.

Your documentation for this is what?

Furthermore, if the Hebrews who lived in Egypt looked like Egyptians, how did the Egyptians know which people they could enslave because they were Hebrews?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:44 pm
Foofie wrote:
flaja wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
As an interesting aside, I ran across an article on what race the ancient Egyptians were... seems they were a melting pot, too: http://www.catchpenny.org/race.html

Meaning that they were not all black Africans as the Left would have us believe.

Here's a thorough history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt
It seems to say that at the time any Moses would have been in Egypt, the people there were African. After 343 BC foreign invaders conquered Egypt.

Egypt had been invaded several times in its ancient history. As far as the Egyptians were concerned any invader was a foreigner regardless of where they came from and more often than not the invaders were not from Africa.

The 343 BC invasion was by the Persians. Prior to that Egypt had already been invaded by the Hyksos, Libyians, Nubians and Assyrians. Only the Libyians and Nubians came from Africa.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:46 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
So Egypt was ruled some 3,000 years by African pharaos.

African yes. Black African, not often.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:49 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
Excuse me please flaja
Your second link has these words.
The tradition of America with it's lofty creeds blows any other tradition away. That's why the rest of the world is envious, and looking back thousands of years, mutating history in the desperate effort to find a competitive alternative. To use a favorite epithet of the Left, they "just don't get it."

Should I type more words?

Why? Do you deny that America is the greatest nation ever known in terms of economic prosperity and political freedom?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:52 pm
Flaja,

I applaud you actually finding links to post; I unfortunately cannot applaud their quality. Both are pieces written by right-wing authors, whose premise attacks 'afrocentrism.' 'Afrocentrism' has nothing to do with 'the left.' The first piece at least has some scholarly merit; the second is nothing more than an opinion by an ideologue such as yourself. Linking to someone else's editorial isn't materially different then writing your own, ie, it doesn't actually bolster your argument in any fashion.

You can't just lump everyone you disagree with together and act as if they are in collusion. You are obviously right-wing; do you wish to be blamed for every idiot and ideologue who resides on the right wing? Perhaps I could refer to 'the right' when actually, I'm talking about right-wing white supremacists. Would that be appropriate?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:57 pm
Forum: Politics Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:52 pm Subject: Must a candidate be Christian to be elected President.
But remember, at one time the U.S. was defined as a "white" country.

When was this and who made this definition?
Topic: Question for the left and right:
flaja

Replies: 144
Views: 1203
PostForum: Politics Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:49 pm Subject: Question for the left and right:
Excuse me please flaja
The tradition of America with it's lofty creeds blows any other tradition away. That's why the rest of the world is envious, and looking back ...

The fact is this.
I am notorious/famous for cut and paste.
I had perused your views.
Unfortunatelly the second quote is from me and not from you.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 08:28 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Flaja,

I applaud you actually finding links to post; I unfortunately cannot applaud their quality.

Simply because they don't agree with your dogma, no doubt.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 08:32 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
Forum: Politics Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:52 pm Subject: Must a candidate be Christian to be elected President.
But remember, at one time the U.S. was defined as a "white" country.

When was this and who made this definition?
Topic: Question for the left and right:
flaja

Replies: 144
Views: 1203
PostForum: Politics Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:49 pm Subject: Question for the left and right:
Excuse me please flaja
The tradition of America with it's lofty creeds blows any other tradition away. That's why the rest of the world is envious, and looking back ...

The fact is this.
I am notorious/famous for cut and paste.
I had perused your views.
Unfortunatelly the second quote is from me and not from you.

It has never been my intent to present another person's remarks as my own. If I have done so in this case, it was absolutely unintentional.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 08:35 pm
flaja wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Flaja,

I applaud you actually finding links to post; I unfortunately cannot applaud their quality.

Simply because they don't agree with your dogma, no doubt.

No, actually, for the factual reasons which I detailed in the post, but you omitted from the quote.

This is boring.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 08:42 pm
flaja wrote:
Foofie wrote:
I said:
"I've never met anyone with German and British ancestry that are Protestant."
Now, how does that "give the impression that no Protestant has ever had both German and British ancestry," as you say above?

This is a logical conclusion to make considering the drift of this thread and your apparent ignorance of the history of German-Americans. You said that you've never met a Protestant with British and German ancestry- implying that you don't think such people don't exist. But even a cursory knowledge of history would demonstrate how wrong you are.

Quote:
I only stated what my limited experience is, since in my neck of the woods there are very few people who are either British, German or a combination.

You must not live in America then. One of the Wikipedia articles I cited earlier pointed out that German American live in every county in the U.S. If you live anywhere in the U.S. it is highly unlikely that you haven't encountered someone of German, British or German-British descent.

Quote:
I'm also wondering who, other than Jews, claim to be descended from the Hebrews??? I thought only Jews claim descent from the Hebrews?

I didn't say anything about who is claiming what. One of Abraham's ancestors was a man named Eber and historians speculate that this is where the term Hebrew comes from. If this is true, then the children of Eber would have all been Hebrews, but they wouldn't all have been ancestors of Abraham and thus were not all ancestors of the Israelites/Jews. Thus you have Hebrews who are not Israelites or Jews.

Quote:
I don't give much veracity to biblical history, as far as who descended from who. I only know that Jews celebrate Passover every year, since the Exodus story from Egypt is their story. It's not the story of Protestants who seem to have adopted these stories?

Protestants accept Jesus Christ as their Passover Lamb. Through His sacrifice on the cross and subsequent resurrection Christ paid the penalty for sin for anyone who accepts Him as their Savior. Thus, Passover does have a place in Protestant theology and custom.

Quote:
At that time they (Jews) looked quite Egyptian.

Your documentation for this is what?

Furthermore, if the Hebrews who lived in Egypt looked like Egyptians, how did the Egyptians know which people they could enslave because they were Hebrews?

I don't imply anything; I'm very literal: I never met anyone of German and British mixed ancestry, and I don't know everyone in my city. And, I live in an ethnic city; if there are individuals of British or German descent, or any combination thereof, I avoid them, and they avoid me.

And Hebrew comes from a word, hapiru, in some ancient language that meant something like "outcasts," since the early Hebrews were a loose amalgam of wandering herders that only came to a city's wall when there was a drought. So, they were pretty much not appreciated for only coming to a city when they needed water. Regardless, by coming up with the one god concept (not necessarily the first to do so), they morphed into the eventual Jewish faith. It didn't happen overnight. And you didn't answer the question as to who else with mideast heritage claims Hebrew descent, other than today's Jews? No one I believe.

Yes, I know the Last Supper at Passover is part of the Christian theology; however, the Exodus happened way before that, and the Exodus was a Jewish thing. Please don't turn Passover into a Christian holiday. The Last Supper is what Christians remember, not the Exodus. And, if they do commemorate the Exodus, it's as interested parties, not descendants of those that schlepped behind Moses.

And the Egyptians knew who were Jews to be enslaved, since Egyptians dressed differently than those ragtag Jewish/Hebrews. Didn't you see the Ten Commandments movie?

I think this thread has wandered far from the original question about victory in Iraq.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 11:38 pm
Re: Question for the left and right:
flaja wrote:
How so? What lead you to this conclusion? Would victory in Iraq not be an Iraq that has a stable democratic government governing a country that can defend itself against foreign aggression while posing no aggressive threat to other countries? Aren't these things what GWB and Co. want?

As I wrote in my initial post in this thread:
    For partisans of the war, I gather that "victory" has now come to mean any kind of favorable outcome. I suppose that's as good a definition as any other, but then I probably see a far more limited range of outcomes as favorable -- or, more precisely, as both favorable and within the realm of possibility. For instance, the establishment of a truly democratic, pro-American government in Baghdad might be considered a favorable outcome, but then that's about as likely as the establishment of a modern-day caliphate in Iceland.

A stable, democratic, pro-US government in Iraq is not a definition of "victory," it's an excuse for an open-ended occupation, since the establishment of a stable, democratic, pro-US government in Iraq is nothing but a chase after a will o' the wisp. GWB and Co. may want such an outcome, but they may all just as well want to poop ice cream too. Both events are equally likely.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 12:26 am
flaja wrote:
Meaning that they were not all black Africans as the Left would have us believe.

What on earth...? Laughing why would "the Left" have claims about Egyptian Pharaohs? That's a subject for historians, not for "the Left" or "the Right". This may be shocking to you, but not everything on this planet is divided into left and right, conservative and liberal or whatever black and white labels you want to use.

i would be left-leaning in your book, on some issues at least, and i would never claim Pharaohs were all black Africans... I would have to know little about history.... and about Egypt. Forgive me, but these left-right arguments are just stupid.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:45 pm
Foofie wrote:
I don't imply anything; I'm very literal: I never met anyone of German and British mixed ancestry, and I don't know everyone in my city.

If you live in America what you claim almost certainly cannot be true. Just because you don't know the ancestry of the people you know doesn't mean that the people you know don't have German, British or German-British ancestry. You flat said that you don't know any Protestant who has British-German ancestry. You didn't leave open the possibility that you don't know all of the pertinent details pertaining to the ancestry and religion of the people you know, thus giving the impression that no Protestant can have British-German ancestry.

Quote:
And Hebrew comes from a word, hapiru,

That conclusion is a matter of considerable debate among historians. So again you are making a conclusion without considering all of the known and all of the possible facts.

I find it odd that you claim that you don't care for Biblical history, but still you know about the current research regarding the origins of the term Hebrew.

Quote:
in some ancient language that meant something like "outcasts," since the early Hebrews were a loose amalgam of wandering herders that only came to a city's wall when there was a drought.

My understanding is that the term Hapiru originated long after the Hebrews were in existence (as late as the time of King David or even a century or so after that during the reign of Pharaoh Aknaton). The term originated long after the Exodus, but the descendants of Jacob were already known as Hebrews before the Exodus.

Quote:
Yes, I know the Last Supper at Passover is part of the Christian theology; however, the Exodus happened way before that,

So? As far as Christians are concerned Christ's sacrifice was the last Passover.

Quote:
and the Exodus was a Jewish thing.

The first Christians were all Jewish.

Quote:
And the Egyptians knew who were Jews to be enslaved, since Egyptians dressed differently than those ragtag Jewish/Hebrews. Didn't you see the Ten Commandments movie?

There were no Jews in Egypt, as I've already explained. But even if what you say is true, why didn't the Hebrews simply adopt Egyptian clothing styles and thus save themselves from slavery?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:50 pm
Re: Question for the left and right:
joefromchicago wrote:
A stable, democratic, pro-US government in Iraq is not a definition of "victory,"

Who in Hell are you to tell me or anyone else what we may and may not accept as victory in Iraq? No matter what GWB or conservatives say is victory, liberal idiots like you will always find some way to say that no victory was attained.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:53 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
flaja wrote:

What on earth...? Laughing why would "the Left" have claims about Egyptian Pharaohs? That's a subject for historians, not for "the Left" or "the Right".

It's a means for causing racial division, which is something that the Left thrives on.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:17 pm
Quote Foofie:
and the Exodus was a Jewish thing.

flaja replied:
The first Christians were all Jewish.

Foofie replies:
Your reply above has a meaning for me? I don't understand the import of the first Christians being all Jewish? My point is the Exodus is celebrated by Jews as Passover. The fact that the early Christians were Jews means what? Perhaps, you are pointing out that these early Christians (aka, Jews) celebrated Passover for the same reason Christians look upon it as the Last Supper? That has nothing to do with today's Jews. Today Passover is to Jews just a Jewish holiday, commemorating the Exodus out of Egypt. There's no reference to Christ and his Apostles, obviously.

Constantine's making Christianity the legal Roman religion was really the proverbial divorce papers for Jews and Christianity. I really think if Constantine didn't convert to Christianity, Jews would have adopted Christianity in greater numbers, as time went by. In effect, Jews, I believe, didn't reject Christ (at that point in history), but, rejected Gentiles as co-religionists, especially Romans. Needless to say, I can be entirely wrong, but I say this just from gut feeling; I have no proof.

By the way, if there are individuals with German/British ancestry, I wouldn't know any. That doesn't mean they don't exist to any large number. I live in a circumscribed existence, based on my own set of experiences. Hearing about another's set of experiences is nothing for me to argue. I don't doubt what you say. I just don't know about it, having no interest in much that you seem to be interested in. Sorry for my lackluster persona.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:36 pm
flaja wrote:
There were no Jews in Egypt, as I've already explained. But even if what you say is true, why didn't the Hebrews simply adopt Egyptian clothing styles and thus save themselves from slavery?

That is a lie, which makes you a liar. You just make this **** up as you go along, don't you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:45 pm
Another beginning poster who spouts frothmobiles...

I'm not the best at argumentation myself, but I appreciate logical discourse when I see it, and am learning in discerning.

Try not to flail too much or you'll hurt yourself.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:54 pm
Foofie wrote:
Your reply above has a meaning for me? I don't understand the import of the first Christians being all Jewish?

You really should pay attention. I am explaining to you how and why the Passover is important to Christians. Passover is not merely a Jewish thing.

Quote:
My point is the Exodus is celebrated by Jews as Passover.

And Christians mark Passover because it symbolizes how God's judgment passes over Christians because Christ is our Passover lamb and the judgment that was due to us fell upon Him. You, however, as a sinner cannot comprehend this simple fact.

Quote:
Perhaps, you are pointing out that these early Christians (aka, Jews) celebrated Passover for the same reason Christians look upon it as the Last Supper?

The last supper has nothing to do with Passover. The last Passover, as far as Christians are concerned, was Christ's sacrifice on the cross.

Quote:
Constantine's making Christianity the legal Roman religion was really the proverbial divorce papers for Jews and Christianity.

Actually the separation had been achieved by the end of the 1st century AD as more and more Gentiles joined the church.

Quote:
I really think if Constantine didn't convert to Christianity, Jews would have adopted Christianity in greater numbers,

Likely not since Christianity had been around for about 200 years before Constantine.

Quote:
By the way, if there are individuals with German/British ancestry, I wouldn't know any. That doesn't mean they don't exist to any large number.

If you live anywhere in the U.S. you most certainly know people with German, British and German-British ancestry just because of the shear number of people in this country with such ancestry.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:11 pm
flaja wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Your reply above has a meaning for me? I don't understand the import of the first Christians being all Jewish?

You really should pay attention. I am explaining to you how and why the Passover is important to Christians. Passover is not merely a Jewish thing.

Quote:
My point is the Exodus is celebrated by Jews as Passover.

And Christians mark Passover because it symbolizes how God's judgment passes over Christians because Christ is our Passover lamb and the judgment that was due to us fell upon Him. You, however, as a sinner cannot comprehend this simple fact.

Quote:
Perhaps, you are pointing out that these early Christians (aka, Jews) celebrated Passover for the same reason Christians look upon it as the Last Supper?

The last supper has nothing to do with Passover. The last Passover, as far as Christians are concerned, was Christ's sacrifice on the cross.

Quote:
Constantine's making Christianity the legal Roman religion was really the proverbial divorce papers for Jews and Christianity.

Actually the separation had been achieved by the end of the 1st century AD as more and more Gentiles joined the church.

Quote:
I really think if Constantine didn't convert to Christianity, Jews would have adopted Christianity in greater numbers,

Likely not since Christianity had been around for about 200 years before Constantine.

Quote:
By the way, if there are individuals with German/British ancestry, I wouldn't know any. That doesn't mean they don't exist to any large number.

If you live anywhere in the U.S. you most certainly know people with German, British and German-British ancestry just because of the shear number of people in this country with such ancestry.

No, Passover is a Jewish thing. The Last Supper is a Christian thing. If Christians have a need, based on their beliefs, to be aware of Passover, that has nothing to do with the original purpose of commemorating the Exodus out of Egypt. I think you are talking from the perspective of being in a Christian country where Jewish beliefs/holidays have been made part of the Christian faith.

I think it's silly that you refer to me as a sinner.

And, if anyone, who is of British and/or German ancestry, tell me such, I cover my ears and hum loudly. So, I reiterate, I don't know anyone that is of German and/or British ancestry.

But, I have met Protestants, and now I can add you to my list of Protestants I have known. My list of Catholics I have known is much longer, based on where I live. But, I'll bet I've met more Jewish people than you.
0 Replies